The 10 Best Video Games of the Last Five Years (As Per Complex)

where are all these fighting game fans coming from?

I got nothing against Street Fighter, but thats a pretty niche market, even more so than sports games, which deservedly are also not on the list

I would say the same for Hotline Miami. It may be pretty good for a Retro 2D Indie game. But it fits a very narrow category and by most measures is not better than an epic like Skyrim

Last edited:
Skyrim was a broken game for the PS3. That alone would disqualify it for the fact Bethesda knowingly shipped it like that.

I'm not really that big on fighting games. I do like playing some, KOF,SF,SS and MK. Just not that religious when it comes to fighting games.

Only reason I thought Injustice should've been included is that it is prolly the best superhero themed fighting game, ever :smokin

Last edited:
Only reason I thought Injustice should've been included is that it is prolly the best superhero themed fighting game, ever :smokin

:x

Xmen vs Street Fighter
Marvel Super heroes vs Street Fighter
Marvel vs capcom
Marvel vs capcom 2
Marvel vs capcom 3

What's the list?
Lets pray its not in order:

10. Dark Souls
9. Mass Effect 2
8.Uncharted 2
7.Hotline Mimai
6. Metal Gear Solid 4
5.Portal
4.Bioshock Infinite
3. The Last of Us.
2 Grand Theft Auto V
1. Red Dead Redemption.

Honestly, each of these games could easily be number one depending on who's playing. You could move the rankings anywhere.

Not mad at the list at all.

Absolutely no argument with the top 3.

Red Dead still to this day is the greatest single player game i've ever played.
You ever played Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time? Its the greatest video game ever made.

after 100%ing both games i find it hard putting OoT over WW

the time travel thing is dope as hell though
pimp.gif

Skyrim was a broken game for the PS3. That alone would disqualify it for the fact Bethesda knowingly shipped it like that.

haha I gotcha. Treat it like an exclusive then.
Skyrim was dope outta the box for 360, and deserves a spot on the list for the same reason that Last of Us does

Only 3.3 mil. played LOU
7.3 mil. on Xbox alone played Skyrim

Street Fighter 4 isn't on here - :rolleyes
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 isn't on here- :rolleyes
Zelda Skyward Sword isn't on here- :x
Super Mario galaxy 2 isn't on here- :x

.... Super Smash Bros Brawl isn't on here- Don't even take this list serious

:x even the biggest smash bros fans don't like brawl like that... you must be a giant nintendo fan :lol:

melee >>>>>>>>> brawl and it's not even close

Skyrim was dope outta the box for 360, and deserves a spot on the list for the same reason that Last of Us does

Only 3.3 mil. played LOU

I'm sorry, but they're counting how many people played a game now?

Would that count people borrowing the game and redbox rentals???

:x even the biggest smash bros fans don't like brawl like that... you must be a giant nintendo fan :lol:

:x

Woah! While I do admit that I'm a big nintenerd there is no way you can seriously believe melee over brawl. Yes melee is very polished and is still big on the tourney scene but its not touching brawl in any aspect of the game. Melee doesn't even have a physics engine.

Only 3.3 mil. played LOU

I'm sorry, but they're counting how many people played a game now?

Would that count people borrowing the game and redbox rentals???

Those are sales figures. I was just using the term "played" in my example, assuming everyone who bought the game played it at some point
:rolleyes

Last edited:
sick.gif
even the biggest smash bros fans don't like brawl like that... you must be a giant nintendo fan
laugh.gif

sick.gif

Woah! While I do admit that I'm a big nintenerd there is no way you can seriously believe melee over brawl. Yes melee is very polished and is still big on the tourney scene but its not touching brawl in any aspect of the game. Melee doesn't even have a physics engine.
IDK man Brawl has the Smash Ball, and the random tripping, the Smash Ball, the pointless swimming, the Smash Ball,and the Smash Ball.

I still have all three games, I play Brawl more often cause my little brother loves Sonic, but in terms of overall enjoyment it was definitely Melee.

Brawl did some great stuff though, like being able to move with all the weapons. Standing still with the Super Scope FTL.

The Smash Ball :x. I know you can turn it off, but it was the most important gameplay change, even over the physics engine, it has to be mentioned in any assessment of the game.

Plus people got mad about no wavedashing, but that was expected.

Last edited:
Hotline Miami shouldn't be on here, Arkham City should've replaced it.

icODK1sQcLY1h.gif

A 2D indie game has no place on a list like this, sorry.

Hotline Miami isn't even the best indie game, let alone one of the best games of the past 5 years.

Bioshock >>
that **** is garbage :rofl:

You're garbage :D

Only 3.3 mil. played LOU

Kind of irrelevant.

Elder Scrolls has a massive following and TLoU was a new IP, obv Skyrim is going to sell more.

Not sure why sales are being brought up anyway, :lol:

CoD sells a zillion copies every year and those games are trash.

Assassins Creed probably sells in the millions and they've been shipping out the same game for 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice list..not mad at #1 or Hotline Miami :pimp:
But....
No Fallout 3? Skyrim? Arkham?

GTA V is too high :D

Last edited:
GTA V is the best game of this generation. I think its still soon, but more of you guys will appreciate it in coming months/years. 

haven't played a single game on that list

just gimme my mortal kombat, CoD, 2k and madden

GTA V is the best game of this generation. I think its still soon, but more of you guys will appreciate it in coming months/years. 

I think if they treat GTA V like they did IV and Red Dead Redemption(Never played it but kept an eye on it. Dont like Westerns, but I like the concept), its gonna be on that level.

I hope they do a zombie add on to GTA V. I dont care how played out zombies are...

sick.gif
even the biggest smash bros fans don't like brawl like that... you must be a giant nintendo fan
laugh.gif

sick.gif

IDK man Brawl has the Smash Ball, and the random tripping, the Smash Ball, the pointless swimming, the Smash Ball,and the Smash Ball.

I still have all three games, I play Brawl more often cause my little brother loves Sonic, but in terms of overall enjoyment it was definitely Melee.

Brawl did some great stuff though, like being able to move with all the weapons. Standing still with the Super Scope FTL.

The Smash Ball :x. I know you can turn it off, but it was the most important gameplay change, even over the physics engine, it has to be mentioned in any assessment of the game.

No wavedashing is fine but the overall floatiness + lack of real combos + lack of balance was lame. I think they went way out of their way to cater to casual players and it showed.

Arkham City should definitely be on this list too.

sick.gif
laugh.gif

sick.gif

The Smash Ball
sick.gif
. I know you can turn it off, but it was the most important gameplay change, even over the physics engine, it has to be mentioned in any assessment of the game.

No wavedashing is fine but the overall floatiness + lack of real combos + lack of balance was lame. I think they went way out of their way to cater to casual players and it showed.

Arkham City should definitely be on this list too.
this is all true. but in terms of balancing, even in melee there are 3-4 characters that are competitively viable (zelda/fox/mario/marth). overall the slower characters dont get enough benefits for being as slow as they are

Only 3.3 mil. played LOU

Kind of irrelevant.

Elder Scrolls has a massive following and TLoU was a new IP, obv Skyrim is going to sell more.

Not sure why sales are being brought up anyway, :lol:

CoD sells a zillion copies every year and those games are trash.

Assassins Creed probably sells in the millions and they've been shipping out the same game for 5 years.

Nah, not irrelevant. You just missed my point

I wasn't presenting sales figures to suggest one game was better than the other, I wasn't even comparing TLOU against Skyrim

Rell said that Skyrim should be out because it was booty on the PS3.
However, it was dope on 360, and for that reason alone it should be included.
I presented the figures to show that a game doesn't have to be massively successful on all consoles to be considered for the list. And the games failure on PS3 can be ignored
The list correctly included TLOU even though it was an exclusive (limited) PS3 release
The list should have included Skyrim even though it only worked on 360

Skyrim 360 should be on the list even if you cut out Skyrim PS3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom