The 2009-2010 NBA Rookie Watch Thread

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Originally Posted by Im Not You

/\ Sit out For what?

Lebron played in his sophomore year
LeBron wasnt just getting back healthy... 
eyes.gif

just my opinion

With that logic he might as well just skip the whole weekend right?

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

pimp.gif
Steph Curry. Third best rook in the L right now.

He's been KILLING lately
pimp.gif
Nelson took the chains off him. He's leapfrogged Flynn and honestly if I had to choose right now I'd take him over Jennings. For all the talk about whether he's a point or not he's made better decision making than arguably any other rookie point.

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

^ Best if you ask me...he locked down Tyreke last night
23-6-4 is locking down now? Tyreke got his season average pretty much. I give Steph props for defending Tyreke's post-up game a lot better than most PGs. However, where was Steph's lock down defense when Tyreke was slicing and dicing the whole Warriors' team when he drove?

Steph played great defense on Kevin Martin though...

pimp.gif

He's been KILLING lately
pimp.gif
Nelson took the chains off him. He's leapfrogged Flynn and honestly if I had to choose right now I'd take him over Jennings. For all the talk about whether he's a point or not he's made better decision making than arguably any other rookie point.

Yea Jonny and Brandon have both hit the rookie wall
ohwell.gif
  Steph is doing a dman fine job at that position, I'm proud of the boy
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

He's been KILLING lately
pimp.gif
All that needed to happen
pimp.gif

Sophomores by 120.

Who would have ever guessed Marcus Thornton would be scoring like he is this soon?

He's undersized and maybe above-average athletically, but he gets buckets from anywhere on the floor.

I'm not complaining.

Rookies got this. Evans takes the MVP. Kevin Love missed over a month of the season. Sure his stats are insane, but I think Jason Thompson should have gotten a look. 13.4 pts, 8.7 rebounds, and a 1 block isn't too shabby and is better than Danillo or Beasley are doing. Thompson got screwed.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

I'm surprised Ty Lawson didn't make the rookie roster.

Then again the team got a load of PGs,
He should have made it over Flynn.

http://espn.go.com/blog/t...he-rookie-game-ty-lawson

[h3]http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12631/missing-from-the-rookie-game-ty-lawson[/h3]
[h3]Missing from the Rookie Game: Ty Lawson[/h3]
January, 27, 2010
Jan 27

12:13

PM ET

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12631/missing-from-the-rookie-game-ty-lawson#/sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/po...sing from the Rookie Game: Ty Lawson&id=12631">http://sendtofriend.espn....Ty Laws...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" class="email">Email Print Share
By Henry Abbott
Archive

nba_g_tlawson1_576.jpg

Garrett W. Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images
When the rookies play the sophomores in Dallas, Ty Lawson will watch from afar.

I happened to be on the phone with David Thorpe when the rosters for All-Star weekend's Rookie Challenge were announced.

The sophomore team ... it's murderous. They're unimpeachable:Michael Beasley, Danilo Gallinari, Marc Gasol, Eric Gordon, BrookLopez, Kevin Love, O.J. Mayo, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook.

The rookies are going to lose. But who are they? In alphabeticalorder: DeJuan Blair, Omri Casspi, Stephen Curry, Tyreke Evans, JonnyFlynn, Taj Gibson, James Harden, Brandon Jennings and Jonas Jerebko.

Not present in the list of rookies is Nuggets guard Ty Lawson, who Thorpe ranks today as the fourth-best rookie in the NBA (Insider). Thorpe writes:
Tell me what he can't do. Finisharound the rim? He's over 50 percent. Midrange jumpers? Again, over 50percent (though he's not great from the right baseline). How about from3-point distance? Check his numbers from the five main spots: He's over50 percent from two spots, over 40 percent from two others, and about35 percent from one wing, for a total of 42 percent overall. Does hetake care of the ball? Yep -- almost three times as many assists asturnovers.

Lawson has been consistentlyexcellent since Week 1, and looks to be a leading candidate for the NBASixth Man Award starting next season. Rarely can a player under6-foot-3 (he's listed at 5-foot-11, actually) impact the game in asmany ways as he can: scoring, pushing the pace, creating shots forteammates, shooting from outside, hounding ball handlers and leading ateam.

In particular, he's terrific atusing his body to put defenders in a position of weakness as he attacksthe rim, a skill that is tough to master when the player usuallyfinishes below the rim. Not that Lawson isn't athletic, because he is(check this out). Opposing defenses have to account for him in the game plan; how many bench players can you say that about?

"That's a big story right there," says Thorpe, hearing that Lawsonis not among the nine. Thorpe suggests Jerebko may have gotten the nodin part because this nine-player roster already has five guards wholike the ball a lot, and is in dire need of size. (Blake Griffin, whereare you?)

"Just watch," adds Thorpe, "the way he's going, in the next few weeks, Lawson could go even higher in my list."

Jerebko has been a tremendous bundle of long energy for the Pistons, and has made a bit of a difference.But even by the measure of plus/minus, which would reward Jerebko'sdefense and hustle, (while punishing Lawson's lack of size, if indeedit hurts the team on defense) Lawson has been better.

I also can't help but note that Flynn has put up some box-scorestats, but by dribbling the ball almost all game long for one of theNBA's worst teams. If you were to switch their teams -- put Flynn onthe solid Nuggets, and have Lawson play long minutes running theTimberwolves -- I can't help but think Lawson would be playing onAll-Star Friday.

It seems a shame that the NBA would deny Lawson this honor simplybecause he was drafted far lower than he should have been, and fell toa team with a star point guard in Chauncey Billups, and an establishedrotation. This would seem to be a chance to correct that earlier error.

Because it's becoming increasingly clear that, despite his size(the only consistent knock against him), Lawson can play. He has provedit at every level. The good news for Lawson is that what he has lackedin adulation he makes up for in wins -- as an NCAA champion with NorthCarolina, and now as a key reserve for the second-best team in theWest, riding a seven-game winning streak.

If you can't have the wins and the praise, take the wins.

smh.gif
@ lawson not making it .......Casspri has an amazing Israeli following at every arena
laugh.gif
.....seen so many Israel flags when they played the bobcats lol

Yeah kinda suck that lawson is out but oh well there is always next year. He might have a chance to win the nba title this year
eyes.gif
Rookies are going to get destroyed. Something tells me Drose,Lopez, or mayo might win MVP. It be nice if Love could get it he could grab a triple-double in this game.

Spurs forward DeJuan Blair throws down a dunk in the first quarter against the Kings.

Dejuan Blair20 points, 9-11 shooting, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals in 24 minutes of play VS SAC.....
pimp.gif

cdc_kings_spurs4_13.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

Not to to be outdone by Tyreke Evans32 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assist, and 2 steals....

how do you guys think evans would look on the thunder?

if given the chance, do you think the thunder would take evans over harden?

Back
Top Bottom