***THE 2011 NFL QUARTERBACK THREAD*** (QBRs through week 9 pg. 16)

I expect that. I was just trying to rank the top 3 who deserve it.
sick.gif
at the list if you take Brady off of it.
laugh.gif
I wouldn't be surprised if Big Ben declined also. If Brady and Big Ben decline, what 3 QBs would they pick?
sick.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

even schaub is injured and out. god, there isn't much. gotta be rivers and dalton

Regardless of the rules/era, congrats to Brees for the record when he gets it. Great QB, nothing but respect from me.

[h1]Coach Smith says Falcons' Ryan developing into 'elite' QB[/h1]
  • By Marc Sessler NFL.com
If Matt Ryan feels like a quarterback flying under the radar, those days could soon be over.

Just 73 yards shy from setting the Falcons' single-season passing record (Jeff George had 4,143 in 1995), Ryan is in the midst of leading Atlanta to its third playoff season in four years, building a 42-19 mark as a starter in the regular season.

Still, Ryan's name is sometimes overlooked in the conversation around the NFL's top quarterbacks, something that will soon change, according to Falcons coach Mike Smith.

"His maturation process continues to accelerate, and he's becoming, in my mind, one of the elite quarterbacks in this league," Smith told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Friday.

Ryan has proven to be a consistent, durable winner for a Falcons team that desperately sought a leader in the wake of Michael Vick's exit stage left in August 2007. Atlanta's three starters that season? Joey Harrington, Chris Redman and Byron Leftwich, a chaotic tangle that ended with the drafting of Ryan in 2008.

Despite his glowing regular-season record, Ryan has yet to win a playoff game -- very likely the missing ingredient here. For Ryan to enter the conversation with Drew BreesTom BradyPeyton Manning andAaron Rodgers, he needs to do something they've all done when the regular season is over, and the playoffs have begun.

Looking back:

Aaron Rodgers – He is the best quarterback in the league at this very moment. Arm strength, accuracy, football intelligence, he’s got it all. The Packers are very dangerous this year..

Correct.

Drew Brees – ...He puts up the gaudy numbers and what’s most impressive is how well he spreads the ball around...This year is another big year for Drew and I wouldn’t mind seeing the rematch of Rodgers vs. Brees in the playoffs.

Correct. Rematch still feasible. Can't wait.
pimp.gif

Matt Ryan – ...Ryan is extremely efficient and some people will correlate this with being “Matyt checkdown

^ Nice predictions
pimp.gif
Overall all your predictions were barring injury and there were definitely a few of em this year . B+

You can tell Ben is still a bit bothered by the ankle but it is improving...maybe sit him in Denver?!

Just playing Broncos fan

Originally Posted by dmxfury

You can tell Ben is still a bit bothered by the ankle but it is improving...maybe sit him in Denver?!

Just playing Broncos fan
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

maybe play him versus denver and sit him in the divisional round? that works

Tim Tebow >>>>> Mark Sanchez. 

No joke. 

1984 still goes down as the best season ever for the simple facts of, 3 guys hit 4K that year, Marino being one.  TEN guys cracked 4K this year, 3 of them 5K, and one dude was like 50 yards shy of 5K, and another would have made a run if he played in the final game.  We literally were 50 yards shy of FIVE QB's getting 5,000 yards this year. 
sick.gif
pimp.gif
  BS for record books, great for our own eyes. 
laugh.gif
  I'm not trying to sound or be bitter here, honest, but Dan put up numbers in an era that simply had never seen that stuff before, these guys are doin work when average dudes get 3,800 yards.  Hell, a rookie got 4K. 
laugh.gif

Not to mention, Brees and the like threw more passes than Dan to get there, if Dan played in this era, 7,500 would be in reach, and I am not joking.  Not even a little.  Lord have mercy if he had a chance to go 4 wide with a TE or a back out of the backfield like a Reggie Bush and he could just throw all day.  His release would keep teams from getting too him, his brain would keep you from blitzing him, it would be fantastic. 
laugh.gif
  But alas, this is the era we live in now. 

Next year we get to add Luck and RGIII, and maybe even Tannehill will get 3,500.  The year after should see Barkley and Landry Jones come in.  Add to that, the possible return of Peyton Manning to the fold.  NFL QB is going to be UNBELIEVABLE for the next 2-3 years til they start filtering out the vets.  Peyton, Tom, Drew, only a couple more seasons of them. 

At some point the NFL will HAVE to swing the rules back towards defenders....right? Hopefully? I can't wait for that day

Originally Posted by dmxfury

At some point the NFL will HAVE to swing the rules back towards defenders....right? Hopefully? I can't wait for that day
don't count on it man. offense sells for the newer fans the NFL targets....just like in hockey

I dont know if this is the right place to post this question, but I am curious to your opinion of an argument that I was having with my friend who is also a die hard Niner fan......

First and foremost, I want to put it out there that I still think Alex Smith is a very, VERY limited quarterback. The way Harbaugh and co. have essentially hidden him and played to his strengths is what made Alex have the efficient season he is having. He is asked to take very little risk, thus resulting in very few mistakes. Our defense is the team's strength, so I have no problem with how little our coaches are asking out of Alex. IMO, he is asked to do far less than almost any QB in the NFL.

So anyways, my question....

Do you think the Niners would be a better team this season, if Alex had double the passing touchdowns and triple the interceptions? Would you guys look at the Niners as a more viable threat to win it all if our quarterback was a 34TD/15 INT guy than a 17TD/5INT guy?

There is absolutely no way of knowing. 10 more interceptions means that the defense is less effective because with 10 turnovers you're most likely talking different field positioning and the defense being on the field more. If you add more 20 more TD passes then that means the offense has quick scoring ability, which is nice, but it also means the defense is still on the field a lot more.
I'd still say they'd win a lot of games, but it's not definitive. There style of play right is perfect to playing into their strength (defense). I much more explosive offense probably would mean they have a much better shot at the SB.

So yeah, I guess they would be better.
laugh.gif
Talked myself into that one.

^ it would be interesting to see if the defense could handle the added load of playing more with the added INTs. not to mention, shorter fields for the opposing offense. but it's an interesting question. i dont think the added risk taking would make people view the niners as more of a favorite tho. for one, like you said, the strength of the team is the low turnovers and strong defense. it's a recipe that's worked before in the league. but also, it's less the niners and more how strong the packers and saints are imo that make people view the niners as less of a threat.

I know there is no way of knowing. Obviously. Im just talking in terms of how big of a threat the Niners would be to win it all. Everyone thinks the Niners are a very good team, but they still have that "If Alex Smith doesnt mess things up" type attitude about their potential playoff success.

Back
Top Bottom