***THE 2011 NFL QUARTERBACK THREAD*** (QBRs through week 9 pg. 16)

Don't you think a lot more of a running game in Chicago would help offset the losing of CJ? It's not like he's out there like Romo used to be tossing it up to TO every other throw.

I think the run game is fine, but I think the cold weather would eat him alive.  Someone put his quote out last week where he was complaining about like 50 degree weather. 
laugh.gif

Couple 20 degree Chicago games and that boy is done for. 

If you notice me in the last 2 WIR, I been mentioning him in domes, and cold weather lookin a lot different.  I'm paying attention full time now to see if he impresses me at some point.

We'll see in the next few weeks. 

CP I'm not sure if he was complaining, but he did mention that "some of those playoff games in high school got pretty cold... Like in the 50's"

laugh.gif

Update CP...

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]Games[/td] [td]Games Started[/td] [td]Comp.[/td] [td]Att.[/td] [td]Comp %[/td] [td]Yds Per Game[/td] [td]Yards[/td] [td]YPA[/td] [td]TD[/td] [td]TD%[/td] [td]INT[/td] [td]INT%[/td] [td]QB Rate[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RS 09 wk 11-17[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]161[/td] [td]245[/td] [td]65.7[/td] [td]284.3[/td] [td]1990[/td] [td]8.1[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]5.3[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0.08[/td] [td]104.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PS 2009[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]66.7[/td] [td]423[/td] [td]423[/td] [td]10.1[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]9.5[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]121.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RS 2010[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]312[/td] [td]475[/td] [td]65.7[/td] [td]261.5[/td] [td]3922[/td] [td]8.3[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]5.9[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]101.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PS 2010[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]90[/td] [td]132[/td] [td]68.2[/td] [td]273.5[/td] [td]1094[/td] [td]8.3[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]6.8[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [td]109.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RS 2011[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]260[/td] [td]362[/td] [td]71.8[/td] [td]316[/td] [td]3475[/td] [td]9.6[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]9.1[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]1.1[/td] [td]127.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Total[/td] [td]38[/td] [td]38[/td] [td]851[/td] [td]1256[/td] [td]67.7[/td] [td]287[/td] [td]10904[/td] [td]8.7[/td] [td]87[/td] [td]6.9[/td] [td]20[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [td]111.2[/td] [/tr][/table]

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Rodgers: "I'm trying to break old habits"[/h1][h3]Green Bay's QB dishes on how he became so dominant and where he goes from here[/h3]

FLEMING: In Week 9 against the Chargers, your third touchdown was a 21-yard pass to receiver James Jones in which you audibled out of a run play at the line of scrimmage, froze the deep safety with your eyes and then threw a ball that seemed to materialize in Jones' hands when he reached the end zone. What does it feel like to be in a zone like this?

RODGERS: It's a lot of fun. It feels fluid. I used to play baseball, and it's like when you're hitting it on the label, or the barrel of the bat. You don't feel anything, just fluid contact, and you just know you hit the ball on the sweet spot with clean power every time. When you're throwing the football the way you want to, you're not thinking about it. You're not thinking about your drop or your release point or the trajectory or where your feet are. It's just coming off your hand exactly the way you want it to, fluid and confident. You're getting good snap on it, a good spiral, and it's ending up exactly where you want it. That's when the game becomes fun, when you can put the ball exactly where you want it. You just react naturally and let all the fundamentals and muscle memory that you've built up take over. It's that feeling of being in total control.

Is part of that getting to a place where complicated reads, such as the TD to Jones, just become second nature?
It's quicker reactions and being more decisive with my checks. When you really start figuring things out as a quarterback, you realize you don't have to be perfect every time, but you do have to be quick and decisive. On that play, we had James on the left and Greg Jennings on the right. The pass check was for James to run a man-beater route -- a route with a double move that works well against single coverage. We were hoping the Chargers would go to a one-high safety look. Instead, they played more quarters, where each DB plays a quarter of the field, and they used high-low coverage on Greg. My quick reaction was that we still have man coverage on the other side with James, who is running a man-beater route. It wasn't perfect, but we still had good options to work with.

Jim Zorn once told me that each year a quarterback's motion should become simpler, shorter and smoother. Is that happening with you?
I don't know about shorter but definitely smoother. I'm at a point where there isn't any wasted movement in the throwing motion. Everything is consistent and smooth. When I first got into the league, I held the ball really high. That was the standard in college, and it messed up my timing a little bit -- the draw, bringing it back, then the release. Even in my seventh year, I'm still trying to break old habits I learned as a kid. You're taught to get back as deep as you can as quick as you can, but you can never throw the ball out on time when you do that. Learning to time up my drop with each route has been a big thing for me. It allows me to throw the ball in rhythm and hit the same release point with every throw, meaning that no matter what else is happening, the ball comes out on a similar plane. That's when accuracy comes.

[h4]Year of the Quarterback[/h4]

ESPN has dedicated 2011 to examining one of the most crucial positions in all of sports -- the quarterback.
Year of the QB »

Once that happens, is that when you're free to start perfecting all the other little things about the position?
That's 100 percent accurate. First, the fundamentals, then you have to become an expert in your own offense. Then you can get to a point where you're attacking instead of reacting. Rich Gannon told me this back in 2006: You'll know you're at a good level by the things you're thinking about when you break the huddle. If you're thinking about your own guys -- what routes they have, who has what -- you're not thinking about the right things. You should be thinking at the next level. What's my protection adjustment? Where's the stress in the protection? What am I going to do, reaction-wise, if they show me a different coverage? That's when you know you're playing the game the way you want to.

And that's where you are now?
When I break the huddle now, I know what my guys are doing. I know the areas they're going to be in. When you're dropping back, you're not looking at your own guys. You're feeling flashes and movements of defenders in your peripheral vision, and you're reacting to what those tell you on the other side of the ball. I know if I see a linebacker go this way, that means they're probably playing a certain coverage, and that means I'm either going to have this receiver open or this other guy open. If I see the defense rotating a certain way or going to a certain pressure, I know now what coverage they're probably playing behind it, and I know I have to get the ball out quickly. If we have the play protected, then I go into my reads downfield.

So it's like a pyramid, where you master a level of quarterbacking and then go up a step and fine-tune?
It takes awhile to get there, especially for guys who are thrust into playing immediately. That's why I give a lot of credit to Andy Dalton, Cam Newton and Christian Ponder -- quarterbacks who are playing in their rookie years and playing well. It's really tough to figure it out, and I guarantee, talk to those guys in two or three years and they'll say, "Man, I really didn't know what I was doing my rookie year." Playing the quarterback position, there are so many things you need to master that improvement ends up taking place on graduated levels.

Are the eyes a 98th percentile thing for quarterbacks, one of the final things you master as an elite thrower?
It is one of the last things. Tom Clements, our quarterbacks coach, broke down Tom Brady's entire season a few years ago, and there were very few times in 550 or so passes when Tom didn't look a defender off. You have to look guys off to complete passes in the NFL. But when you study Tom, you learn it's about the feet as much as the eyes. When you look a guy off, your feet already have to be lined up where you plan to throw, but your eyes have to go to the target late.

You do all this stuff, and some of it takes years to develop, just to get a defender to take one wrong step?
Not even a step. Just to shift his weight the wrong way, to lean one way or the other. It's all about windows. Creating windows. Moving guys to create windows to throw into. The windows are so much smaller in the pros than in college. So you have to use everything -- including your eyes -- to move a linebacker or a safety or a defender curling out into the flat just to get him to step to his left in order to throw to a guy open behind him.

Another little thing you've improved is your body language on play-action fakes.
That was one thing I really worked on in the off-season a couple of years ago. I had the pleasure of playing golf with Tom Brady and got to pick his brain a little bit. One of the things I took away from that was that he is very critical of himself from the previous year, and he uses that to find one, two or three things that he wants to improve on each off-season. For me, that was my ballhandling.

But part of me still thinks, Come on, you're throwing for 4,000 yards. Does it really matter if you lean over six inches more on a run fake?
Peyton Manning would say so. He is sacked very few times, and that's because, one, he has great pocket presence, and two, he's so good with those fakes that they not only hold the linebacker but also slow down the rush. People don't think much about it, but by staying disciplined and using the same body language on a run or a pass, Peyton gives himself more time and a bigger window to throw the ball. That's not a little thing. As an offense, I know we feel like those intricate things you do intentionally can really add up to make a big difference.

So the idea that football is a game of inches is more than just a cliche?
Look at our biggest play from our last drive of the Super Bowl. We're only up by three, and on third and 10, we run Greg Jennings down the middle of the field and connect for a 31-yard gain. If you look at that play on the game film from the end zone, Steelers corner Ike Taylor gets his pinky on the ball and changes the trajectory but not enough to make Greg drop it. If Taylor gets one more knuckle on the ball, everything changes. An inch one way or the other and it might be a totally different outcome in the Super Bowl. Afterward, everybody was like, "How did that happen?" But that's a play we've worked on for years. Years. That's where all this comes from -- to be able to step into that throw, with seven minutes left in the Super Bowl, up by less than a touchdown, knowing it's third down and you have to make a play. I've thrown that ball to Greg, that same exact ball, 100 times in practice. Same exact route. So when I break the huddle, that's what's flashing in my mind. I've completed this throw in my mind 1,000 times before the ball even leaves my hand.

Lots of "Quarterback" stuff in this article... Good read even if you're not a Rodgers/Pack fan.

then you have to become an expert in your own offense
This right here explains TONS of QB's that fail in this league.  When I did that talk about Brady-Manning, and Manning being the same system for a decade, and Alex Smith has like 5 systems in 6 years or whatever it was, there ya go.  Alex has never been given a single offense to run for himself year after year. 

Now look at Brady, Brees, and Rodgers, the 3 best we have right now.  They play better year after year after year still, and why is that?  They run their offense and perfect every single detail.  Sooooo key. 

I know that Miami is taking Barkley, or Jones, or RGIII in April, I PRAY that they hire one good offensive mind to run the offense, and let that kid work year after year etc working on it.  Please God do not Alex Smith him to where the kid is stunted year after year.  I think this is why Alex is better this year, he has a QB for a head coach, who knows the job, and how to slow it all down.  I bet Alex gets even better next year, and then the year after, and maybe we start to actually see why he was the #1 pick.  I'm not saying he will be Brady/Brees/Rodgers someday, but he will be "better" at least. 

That Monday night game Brees just had was incredible.  Dude was ZONED out. 

Between the two (Rodgers and Brees), when they're on, I slightly prefer watching Brees because of how cerebral and technical he is. I think people forget his size because of how dominant he is. Hhe's a master at Sean Paytons game.

Watching Brees is crazy for me because of the way the dude creates distance from the line right off the snap... He drops back and gets into his progression fast as !*+!... Its so different from watching Rodgers even though they are pretty similar in a lot of ways.

2nd time seeing AR in person... Couldnt believe the stat line after I left, didn't seem like he had that kind of game then I see he had 369, 4 and 1.
sick.gif
pimp.gif

^ I loved that piece about Brees drop backs by Collinsworth.  That was an excellent point.  It's amazing he can get back there in time to make throws, also lets the routes develop just that much longer than say a regular 5 step drop. But that's a lot of key peices working together at the same time, knowing the system inside and out, no coaching turnover, etc etc. 

I was at the hotel bar watching Saints Lions... Didn't catch what Collinsworth was saying but I saw where they put the distance he drops back from the line. Dudes fun to watch, especially throwing to Jimmy
pimp.gif

Generally speaking, the Quarterback play in the NFL this year has been horrendous.

Originally Posted by CP1708

^ I loved that piece about Brees drop backs by Collinsworth.  That was an excellent point.  It's amazing he can get back there in time to make throws, also lets the routes develop just that much longer than say a regular 5 step drop. But that's a lot of key peices working together at the same time, knowing the system inside and out, no coaching turnover, etc etc. 

Part of the reason I dont want to get rid of Martz.
While Tice and Cutler can tinker and have more imput the basis of the O should be Martz.
But I think Martz takes a college job.
The key next year is keeping the same general offence with more 6-7 man protection schemes.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Originally Posted by CP1708

Part of the reason I dont want to get rid of Martz.
While Tice and Cutler can tinker and have more imput the basis of the O should be Martz.
But I think Martz takes a college job.
The key next year is keeping the same general offense with more 6-7 man protection schemes.

All young quarterbacks need to emulate Drew Brees. His footwork is amazing. Those deep dropbacks are so crucial because of his size. Coaches used to always hammer me about getting a huge first step on my dropback to create that separation, but my first problem was I chose to emulate Brett Favre.
laugh.gif

Speaking of playing days, Blaine Gabbert is so God awful he makes me contemplate trying out for Jaguars.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

All young quarterbacks need to emulate Drew Brees. His footwork is amazing. Those deep dropbacks are so crucial because of his size. Coaches used to always hammer me about getting a huge first step on my dropback to create that separation, but my first problem was I chose to emulate Brett Favre.
laugh.gif

Speaking of playing days, Blaine Gabbert is so God awful he makes me contemplate trying out for Jaguars.

I said the same thing to my boy last night haha

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Tom Brady -- not Aaron Rodgers -- is MVP[/h1]
December, 7, 2011
Dec 7 1:12 PM ET

By James Walker

Stew Milne/US Presswire
No. 12 deserves the NFL's Most Valuable Player award this season. But it's not who you think.

Contrary to popular belief, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is not this year's MVP. That distinction, for the second straight year, should go to New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Now, before you roll your eyes, open your mind and hear me out.

Brady won the award last year during New England's 14-2 run, and he deserves to be just the second back-to-back MVP since 1998. This is not to discredit Rodgers, who is having a tremendous season. But sometimes numbers and hype get in the way of what the Most Valuable Player award, by definition, actually means.

[h4]Year of the Quarterback[/h4]

The award is meant for the player who is the most important to their team. Let that sink in, because this is a key element to this debate.

Rodgers has been lights out and putting up great numbers for undefeated Green Bay (12-0). But what happens if you take Rodgers off the Packers? They won't be 16-0, but the defending Super Bowl champs would still keep the ball rolling with highly touted backup Matt Flynn and make it to the playoffs.

Green Bay has enough stars on offense (Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson) and big-time playmakers on defense (Clay Matthews, Charles Woodson, B.J. Raji) to win plenty of games without Rodgers. I think Green Bay could even win the NFC North this year without Rodgers, considering the Chicago Bears (7-5) lost quarterback Jay Cutler, the Detroit Lions (7-5) are inconsistent and the Minnesota Vikings (2-10) stink.

In contrast, consider this: Where would the Patriots be without Brady?

With the NFL's worst-rated defense and no true superstars on the roster minus Brady, some believe New England would be similar to the Indianapolis Colts (0-12) this year without Peyton Manning. I'm not ready to go that far. But New England certainly would have a losing record.

Little-known backup Brian Hoyer or rookie quarterback Ryan Mallett have virtually no chance of getting this Patriots team to the playoffs. New England is too weak in other areas and couldn't afford poor play at quarterback.

And please do not point to what happened in 2008. That Patriots team had a top-10 defense and was much more balanced. Quarterback Matt Cassel is a former Pro Bowler who led the Patriots to 11 wins. Cassel was way more advanced and developed than Hoyer and Mallett.

The "Brady factor" in New England is clearly stronger than the "Rodgers factor" in Green Bay.

Without Brady, the Patriots would be challenging the Buffalo Bills (5-7) and Miami Dolphins (4-
glasses.gif
for third or fourth place in the AFC East this season. I'm sure New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan would be happy about that.

[h4]Brady vs. Rodgers[/h4][table][tr][th=""]QB[/th][th=""]Yds.[/th][th=""]Pct.[/th][th=""]TD[/th][th=""]INT[/th][th=""]QBR[/th][/tr][tr][td]Brady[/td][td]3,916[/td][td]66.7[/td][td]30[/td][td]10[/td][td]76.6[/td][/tr][tr][td]Rodgers[/td][td]3,844[/td][td]70.6[/td][td]37[/td][td]5[/td][td]87.0[/td][/tr][/table]

For those who want to focus only on the numbers, Brady's statistics are right on Rodgers' heels. In fact, Brady (3,916) has thrown for more yards than Rodgers (3,844) and is on a faster pace to eclipse Dan Marino's single-season passing record of 5,084 yards.

Also, Brady has thrown for 10 touchdowns and zero interceptions in the past month. Brady hasn't thrown a pick since Nov. 6. Rodgers has two interceptions the past three weeks.

The coach of the year award often doesn't go to the coach with the most victories. The award usually goes to the coach who overcomes the most hardship and does more with less. That is why San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh will most likely get the nod this year over Green Bay counterpart Mike McCarthy.

Just like McCarthy probably will not win the coach of the year, Rodgers should not be the MVP this season. The cupboards are very full in Green Bay, and neither faced much hardship in their quest for an undefeated season and another Super Bowl title.

Brady is doing more with far less talent around him and is much more valuable to New England's success.

So forget that other guy wearing No. 12. Brady is this year's MVP.

i would be the one to post this article
laugh.gif

Sanchez possibly being voted to the Probowl > Brady winning back-to-back MVPs 
grin.gif

tumblr_lv5fluKzdf1qzthxgo1_500.gif

Rodgers with the same amount of ATT that Brady has right now would add another 469 yards giving him 4313 on the season after week 12 with his 9.2 Yards Per Attempt, 42 touchdowns with his 9% touchdown's per attempt.

^ no doubt...which is why he's a no brainer for NFL offensive player of the year (or decade
laugh.gif
)...

James Walker sounds like a troll that got hired by ESPN to write articles.

Originally Posted by Cement Greyman

James Walker sounds like a troll that got hired by ESPN to write articles.

Has to be. just thought it was funny they listed the stats next to eachother like they compared. 7 more TD's, half the interceptions....troll is correct...S!!! even listed Espn qbr too lol

Going by that dudes logic Favre should have gotten the MVP the year Brady went 16-0 then. Favre didnt have a Randy Moss, he had a bunch of youngings.

There are always people trying to go the other way to stir everyone up.

Back
Top Bottom