The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't blame the Bulls for that and they pretty much kept those Miami series close despite the outcome.

And the Clippers haven't made it past the 2nd round yet.
You'd put the Bulls above the Clippers because they beat Eastern Tomato cans in early series?  ehhhhh

I don't think they kept those Miami series close at all.  They looked completely hopeless.

We talk about how much of an ******* KG can be at times, but this was a pretty cool story.. considering I've ran into Lester several times in Memphis, its good to see it happened to him. He's a real cool guy.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/the-day-kevin-garnett-took-a-rookie-shopping/

Be respectful. Speak when spoken to. Don’t get out of line. There are ways to act around Kevin Garnett that are simply understood by rookies when they enter the NBA.

Lester Hudson knew this when he was drafted by the Boston Celtics in 2009. As the only rookie on a veteran team at the start of the season, he took the quiet approach, listening intently and following protocol. Garnett, who can take time to warm up to first-year players, noticed.

Unexpectedly to Hudson, a reserved guard out of the University of Tennessee at Martin who rarely played, Garnett began speaking to him more frequently. The future Hall of Famer delivered advice, offered motivational messages and urged Hudson to continue improving his game. Hudson surmises Garnett liked that he worked hard and didn’t talk too much, similar to how Garnett approaches his tasks at hand.

“He was like a big brother,” Hudson told Basketball Insiders. “I felt it was genuine. You’ve got to respect him; he’s one of the greatest players in the league. I was focusing on what he was saying, I didn’t care if it was bad or good.”

Garnett referred to Hudson as “Train,” a nickname demonstrative of the strength Hudson used driving to the basket.

In December of that season while the Celtics were in Chicago to play the Bulls, Hudson received a directive from Garnett. It wasn’t the first time Garnett made a request – as a rookie, Hudson often ran errands for him and other veterans. This one was vague, though.

“‘Train, come to the store with me,’” Hudson recalled. “‘Meet me downstairs at this time.’ You can’t be late with KG. I was probably 10 minutes early. He was like, ‘Come on let’s go.’”

Hudson left the team hotel with Garnett, not knowing where they were headed. As they walked down the street, Garnett filled the conversation with more words of encouragement. The talk ended as they approached the destination.

Hudson gazed upon the building: the Louis Vuitton store.

“He told me to pick out whatever I wanted,” said Hudson. “I was like, ‘Are you serious right now?’ He said, ‘You work hard and I respect you. You help me out a lot.’”

Hudson was shocked. Soon, Garnett began making recommendations. Get a scarf, Garnett offered, it’s cold in Boston and Chicago. (Garnett often wore a designer scarves in his postgame interviews while on the Celtics). The store was Hudson’s for the picking.

“I got a couple scarves, skullies, a backpack, shoes, belts,” Hudson said. “I think he just got me everything.”

One month after the excursion, the Celtics waived Hudson. Roster spots were at a premium on a team that went on to the NBA Finals that season. He bounced around the NBA after that, eventually going overseas where he has established a successful career. He is a two-time MVP and three-time All-Star in the Chinese Basketball Association.

On Sunday, Hudson signed a 10-day contract with the Los Angeles Clippers. His first game back was at TD Garden, playing in his former arena under his original coach Doc Rivers. Inside the Clippers locker room, he sat with a black and gray Louis Vuitton backpack at his feet.

“This isn’t it,” he said assuredly.

The backpack from Garnett stays at Hudson’s home now unused, a remembrance of the unexpected trip. He doesn’t use it to carry his belongings – it carries a special meaning of its own.

“Unbelievable,” Hudson said. “I talk about it all the time.”

Can't blame the Bulls for that and they pretty much kept those Miami series close despite the outcome.

And the Clippers haven't made it past the 2nd round yet.
You'd put the Bulls above the Clippers because they beat Eastern Tomato cans in early series?  ehhhhh

I don't think they kept those Miami series close at all.  They looked completely hopeless.

You just hate the Bulls, completely understandable.

And I didn't put the Bulls above the Clippers but based on the teams mentioned, they haven't made it past the 2nd round yet.

Someone, anyone, give me a few good reasons why I shouldn't believe that this Cavs team won't go down the exact same path that the old LeBron led Cavs team went down. Great regular season. Sub-par postseason.

I agree that the Spurs, Grizz, OKC (when healthy) and Mavs are playoff tested. If you have a core group of players and they've played in every single round of the playoffs, I consider them battle tested. If they made it that far together as a group, they are even more battle tested. That'ts why its hard to count the Grizz out most of the time because those guys have seen just about everything any core not affiliated with SAS and OKC have yet to see.

Grizz may have gotten their *** whooped in the WCF, but I guarantee you that experience made the core group better :lol: . I am interested to see how the Hawks and Warriors perform this year. Ironically, they are the two teams with the best record and neither of them have been to the conference finals. It'll make for some good basketball.

Last edited:
Someone, anyone, give me a few good reasons why I shouldn't believe that this Cavs team won't go down the exact same path that the old LeBron led Cavs team went down. Great regular season. Sub-par postseason.
lol wut

last time around we had to rely on daniel gibson and wally world as a supporting cast..I hope you can tell the difference between then and now

We talk about how much of an ******* KG can be at times, but this was a pretty cool story.. considering I've ran into Lester several times in Memphis, its good to see it happened to him. He's a real cool guy.

Be respectful. Speak when spoken to. Don’t get out of line. There are ways to act around Kevin Garnett that are simply understood by rookies when they enter the NBA.

Lester Hudson knew this when he was drafted by the Boston Celtics in 2009. As the only rookie on a veteran team at the start of the season, he took the quiet approach, listening intently and following protocol. Garnett, who can take time to warm up to first-year players, noticed.

Unexpectedly to Hudson, a reserved guard out of the University of Tennessee at Martin who rarely played, Garnett began speaking to him more frequently. The future Hall of Famer delivered advice, offered motivational messages and urged Hudson to continue improving his game. Hudson surmises Garnett liked that he worked hard and didn’t talk too much, similar to how Garnett approaches his tasks at hand.

“He was like a big brother,” Hudson told Basketball Insiders. “I felt it was genuine. You’ve got to respect him; he’s one of the greatest players in the league. I was focusing on what he was saying, I didn’t care if it was bad or good.”

Garnett referred to Hudson as “Train,” a nickname demonstrative of the strength Hudson used driving to the basket.

In December of that season while the Celtics were in Chicago to play the Bulls, Hudson received a directive from Garnett. It wasn’t the first time Garnett made a request – as a rookie, Hudson often ran errands for him and other veterans. This one was vague, though.

“‘Train, come to the store with me,’” Hudson recalled. “‘Meet me downstairs at this time.’ You can’t be late with KG. I was probably 10 minutes early. He was like, ‘Come on let’s go.’”

Hudson left the team hotel with Garnett, not knowing where they were headed. As they walked down the street, Garnett filled the conversation with more words of encouragement. The talk ended as they approached the destination.

“He told me to pick out whatever I wanted,” said Hudson. “I was like, ‘Are you serious right now?’ He said, ‘You work hard and I respect you. You help me out a lot.’”

Hudson was shocked. Soon, Garnett began making recommendations. Get a scarf, Garnett offered, it’s cold in Boston and Chicago. (Garnett often wore a designer scarves in his postgame interviews while on the Celtics). The store was Hudson’s for the picking.

“I got a couple scarves, skullies, a backpack, shoes, belts,” Hudson said. “I think he just got me everything.”

One month after the excursion, the Celtics waived Hudson. Roster spots were at a premium on a team that went on to the NBA Finals that season. He bounced around the NBA after that, eventually going overseas where he has established a successful career. He is a two-time MVP and three-time All-Star in the Chinese Basketball Association.

On Sunday, Hudson signed a 10-day contract with the Los Angeles Clippers. His first game back was at TD Garden, playing in his former arena under his original coach Doc Rivers. Inside the Clippers locker room, he sat with a black and gray Louis Vuitton backpack at his feet.

The backpack from Garnett stays at Hudson’s home now unused, a remembrance of the unexpected trip. He doesn’t use it to carry his belongings – it carries a special meaning of its own.

Awesome story. KG :smokin

Weaker east and better cavs. dont get me wrong, i want them to fail with a passion, but i'm realistic. They're a tough squad and the competition is a lot weaker.

Craig Sagers words about Kevin Garnett were what did it for me. KG was one of the first guys to contact Craig

Oh and the Kevin McChale thing

Last edited:
The way i see if the Hawks were to see the Clippers in the finals (not predicting that) would people really be saying the Clippers are more "proven" than the Hawks are?

Hornets head coach Steve Clifford said he can't find a unit that plays well when Lance Stephenson is on the floor.

Clifford said he supported the signing of Stephenson, but his comments after Stephenson's second straight DNP-CD on Wednesday don't sound promising for Stepehnson. "Lance is here because of me. I’m the one that wanted Lance," Clifford said. "It’s simply that I can’t find a group that plays well when he’s out there."

Yikes

light wk for KG...dope tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom