THE AMERICANS on FX -- Season 2 Finale: "Echo" ... Tonight at 10/9c

CO-SIGN.

And I'm a homeland fan. The writing on The Americans is nothing short of brilliant. Three EXTREMELY strong episodes to kick things off. I just love the dynamic of Phil & Elizabeth's relationship. FX hit gold with this one.
this..

Just came across a great review on Grantland of episode 3:

Link

In the comments section there was this:

What I found most compelling about "Gregory" was Phillip's anger that Elizabeth had shared not just her body with Gregory but her true personality. When Phillip listened to the tape of Elizabeth sleeping with the ADA he was clearly upset but appeared resign to accept it as part of the job. However, when Elizabeth shared her true personality with Gregory it pushed Phillip over the edge. When you live a lie, the truth is the most intimate thing you posses.

Great POV.

starting to find that russian informant more and more sexy each week :pimp:
Hell yeah. Nina is sexy.

Too bad it looks like the writers are setting up Stan to have an affair with Nina. Wife already giving that cliched "you don't talk to me" speech four episodes in. Hope they keep the romance angles at a minimum to not make this into a soap of who is loving who.

Did anyone notice the scene when Claudia was entering her car after her meet with kerri, she gave a look of suspicion. Maybe she has doubts on her sleeper agents or something.

Great POV.
^That's really well put.

I feel like I'm still waiting for the slow filler blah episode that a show like this is supposed to have by now.

Like how long can they keep it up at this quality? Cuz Americans is 4 for 4 for me so far.

And even though they're hitting so many different angles, it feels like they're moving at their own pace.
It's not like Homeland where it's really loud cliffhanger plot twists, when they skip the bs and jump ahead to the next thing.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it damn sure didn't last night. :smokin

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of this show. I never really get into shows from the jump because I like to see if they hold up throughout the season but since I was really disappointed by Homeland, I decided to catch this from the premier. It did not disappoint :pimp:

Now that I have Americans in my life, I'm officially dumping that trash show known as Homeland. I can't believe I even stuck it out for 2 seasons :smh::smh:

Another strong ep. They doing a lot and covering a lot in this first season, especially this early.

I will say the parts with the daughter reminded me of Homeland in a bad way. I don't give a **** about the daughter and her outlook on life. Just seeing that scene, specifically the 2nd one she came back to talk more, made me think why do writers think we need to see this? Like I get this involves the family, and the daughter is being painted as some young woman growing in to her own individuality or w/e that'll be at odds with who the parents pretend to be or who they actually are but the **** is once again meaningless. Plus once again you got the younger brother that's useless just seen as the innocent one. At least this daughter isn't as annoying as Dana.

The crate in the woods for the Christopher protocol made me wonder how many spy bunkers and hidden packages are all around America that were left behind.

The disguises for this show are great :lol: Seemed smart at first but their little con plan to talk to ppl posing as gov't agents is risky as ****.

Another strong ep. They doing a lot and covering a lot in this first season, especially this early.

I will say the parts with the daughter reminded me of Homeland in a bad way. I don't give a **** about the daughter and her outlook on life. Just seeing that scene, specifically the 2nd one she came back to talk more, made me think why do writers think we need to see this? Like I get this involves the family, and the daughter is being painted as some young woman growing in to her own individuality or w/e that'll be at odds with who the parents pretend to be or who they actually are but the **** is once again meaningless. Plus once again you got the younger brother that's useless just seen as the innocent one. At least this daughter isn't as annoying as Dana.

The crate in the woods for the Christopher protocol made me wonder how many spy bunkers and hidden packages are all around America that were left behind.

The disguises for this show are great :lol: Seemed smart at first but their little con plan to talk to ppl posing as gov't agents is risky as ****.

You can tell the nurse was a little suspicious at first but then he gave her that damn pin "from the Vice President" and her attitude changed quick :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll write up more when I have the time... But this show is crushing it so far. I love it

starting to find that russian informant more and more sexy each week
pimp.gif
this.

[h1]FX Renews 'The Americans' for Season 2[/h1]2:13 PM PST 2/21/2013 by Michael O'Connell
fx_americans_keyart_p_2012.jpg

The freshman drama, created by Joe Weisberg, has been renewed for a 13-episode sophomore season. The news follows especially high ratings for the January premiere and significant DVR growth throughout its first month on the air.

The Americans has quickly established itself as a key part of FX’s acclaimed drama lineup,” said network president and GM John Landgraf. “Executive producers Joe Weisberg, Joel Fields and Graham Yost and their collaborators are telling riveting and deeply emotional stories, and the performances of Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys, Noah Emmerich and the entire cast are simply outstanding. The show is truly worthy of its widespread critical acclaim, and we are confident that its quality will continue to yield a robust and passionate audience.”

With Live+7 day returns, The Americans' pilot episode has pulled in a total of 5.11 million viewers -- a network record for a series debut. And though the second episode saw a drop in Live+Same day returns, DVR growth has been consistently strong. The first three episodes have jumped a respective 44 percent, 58 percent and 68 percent.

"We’re very grateful to John Landgraf, Nick Grad, Eric Schrier and everyone at FX for their unwavering support of our show,” said Weisberg. “We’re thrilled to be able to continue writing stories for such an incredibly talented cast led by Keri, Matthew and Noah. This has been an amazing experience for me, and it couldn’t have happened without the tireless efforts of our cast and crew. We appreciate the support of the audience, and we believe they have a lot to look forward to the rest of this season.”

Set during the 1980s, Americans follows a seemingly normal couple (Russell and Rhys) in suburban Washington, D.C. In reality, they're deep-undercover KGB spies trying to infiltrate the U.S. during the Cold War. Even their children don't know their real agenda.

Americans' critical reception has been overwhelmingly positive. The Hollywood Reporter's chief TV critic Tim Goodman gave a glowing review of the first two episodes, writing, "Comparisons with Homeland are inevitable, but the pacing and nuance driving FX's look at enemies among us might have real staying power."

Nine episodes remain in Americans' freshman run. It airs at 10 p.m. on FX.

:smokin

Last edited:
The wife and I love this show. I was born in 77, so I remember a lot of the tension with Russia from the early 80s at an early age. In that sense, The Americans is much appreciated.

All the old school NT heads should rmbr that era as well, with all the anti-commie propaganda flicks like Red Dawn. Hell, even Rocky IV went USA v USSR.

Great pilot episode and no fluff episodes so far. A+. Great to hear it got picked up for a second season.

Last edited:
Chill son.

This spy game is dangerous. Crossing paths with sadistic sex freaks just to get info :x Son was pathetic with his 3 thrusts :lol:

Watching Episode 4 now.....gonna have to catch up with tonight's ep tomorrow :smh: :smokin Love this show!

Well it looks like Nina is done for.

Just finished watching last night's ep...Yup, now both sides know they're being listened to somehow.... Nina is gonna get caught very soon it looks like :smh: Elizabeth is such a strong character, honestly shes way more dynamic than Philip and its kinda cool how Beeman''s family life is deteriorating just as he's getting more close to finding out more info about the planted spies....the writing on here is so phenomenal...my girl Claudia been through everything though :lol:

FX stay winning, I;m gonna run through Justified once this first season ends too :smokin

just watched all episodes so far back to back.

Nina is :pimp:

is it just me or does Stan look like Roger Goodell?

I don't get how Elizabeth claims she's now gaining stronger feelings for Phillip, but they always bump heads when they have an important decision to make and then it seems like the feelings go away.

anyways, great show. will keep watching

That's what is unique about the show, they're a married couple but they're also working spies. So they're balancing and shifting between the appearance of their marriage and family, then the working relationship they have as spies, then the new/real relationship that's finally being worked on. So they're getting closer, but then work and family gets in the way. 

smh at the show not showing nina in her undergarments :smh:
I watched the ep twice cuz I thought I missed something :smh: :lol:

They dead *** thought cutting the scene with another sex scene finishing up would pacify us. It's literally her buttoning down then buttoning up :stoneface:

That's what is unique about the show, they're a married couple but they're also working spies. So they're balancing and shifting between the appearance of their marriage and family, then the working relationship they have as spies, then the new/real relationship that's finally being worked on. So they're getting closer, but then work and family gets in the way. 

The whole work/relationship dynamic between Phillip and Elizabeth is so fascinating. He REALLY cares about her. She's ambivalent at times. Her line in response to him asking what she thought husband's did (I wouldn't know), was an absolute dagger.

anyways, here's the grantland recap of Episode 5.

Link

This show is getting better and better by the week. We're only 5 episodes in, and for me, I rank this ahead of SOA for my favorite FX show currently on TV.

It's funny...a show like The Following had a great start, but as the series has gone on the writing has become an embarrassment and almost insulting to the viewer. This show, on the other hand, has exceeded expectations and has been nothing short of brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom