THE AMERICANS on FX -- Season 2 Finale: "Echo" ... Tonight at 10/9c

Ok, I gotcha. I've never seen someone repeatedly hit a prisoner with a heavy phonebook before. Weird to see as a form of torture but it was effective.

When he started hitting him with the phone book I knew it was the KGB, they didn't wanna mark up homeys face because that would result in questions.

Elizabeth got knocked out cause she out hands on ol boy :lol:

Came across this comment on the Grantland review:

I've read three or four different recaps of this episode and in each the author took for granted that Visili was found guilty and shepherded out of the country to his death (or exile). Am I the only one who thought when the leader of the investigation smirked and said that the Rezident had been set up very well that the writers/director were winking at the audience? I imagined the discussion went on beyond the scene and that putting the Rezident on a plane was rouse to get the actual mole to let his or her guard down. Visili almost certainly could pick out Nina as the mole at this point and his word does carry weight, although it was pointed out that none are above suspicion.

Yea, it seemed obvious on his way out that he knew it was her.

I just figured FBI guy trying to helping her was the first domino in Nina getting got.

When Philip & Elizabeth's son cracked that dude over the head with the bottle, I went back to one of the earlier episodes where Philip was saying how the boy was more like him....Paige was a little more Americanized in the sense that she doesn't have that ruthlessness in her DNA.

Really good catch. :smokin

Last edited:
I just finished watching the episode on DVR. I got so wrapped up in what was going on that I was shocked when it was disclosed that the KGB were behind the kidnapping.

When Philip & Elizabeth's son cracked that dude over the head with the bottle, I went back to one of the earlier episodes where Philip was saying how the boy was more like him....Paige was a little more Americanized in the sense that she doesn't have that ruthlessness in her DNA.
Same thing that came to mind. Writers had to be playing up on that on purpose.

This show has been superb thus far.
pimp.gif

[h1]Spy vs. Spy: A Q&A with The Americans Creator Joe Weisberg[/h1]By Katie Arnold-Ratliff March 12, 2013

The Americans (Wednesdays, FX) blends gripping spycraft with a complicated love story as it follows two KGB agents, Elizabeth and Philip (Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys), posing as married D.C.-area suburbanites in 1981. In its first handful of episodes, the show has set a high bar for drama, mixing in dead drops, invisible ink and some pretty ruthless martial arts. TIME caught up with the show’s creator, former CIA agent Joe Weisberg, to talk marriage, truth and where The Americans’ story might be headed.

TIME: Why do you think spy stories are having such a moment?
Joe Weisberg
: It’s hard to know—it could be that the war on terror has inspired television and film, or it could be that shows like Homeland have just been so good that they’ve reignited the genre.

The Americans often depicts mundane moments in the lives of these spies—there’s something great about seeing this badass guy finish a mission and then bicker with his kid about a lost Thermos. Was that balance important to you?

The most interesting thing I observed during my time at the CIA was the family life of agents who served abroad with kids and spouses. The reality is that mostly they’re just people going about their lives. The job is one element, and trying to depict the issues they face just seemed like something that, if we could bring it to television in a realistic way, would be new.

You’ve said the show is as much about marriage as espionage.

Espionage adds drama and raises the stakes, but the thing people are going to care about is this couple and whether or not they make it. We already know how the Cold War ends. Nobody knows how this marriage will end. Plus, deep down I’m more interested in marriage than espionage. Though maybe I shouldn’t admit that.

There’s a moment in episode 4 when Philip accuses Elizabeth of lying to him, and she answers, “Lying? What does that even mean to us?” Is emotional honesty possible for these characters?

In the CIA I lied all the time, and everybody I worked with lied all the time, and we were the biggest, fattest liars in the world, and it was definitely possible for us to be honest and heartfelt. These characters don’t think of themselves as liars. We didn’t think of ourselves as liars. Spies think of themselves as good people who, as part of their profession, have to lie.

The lies are in service to a larger truth.

See, now I wish I had said that.

Feel free to use it. The show’s title sequence contrasts the iconography of the U.S. and the USSR—the Jazzercise video next to footage of Cossack dancing is especially funny, by the way.

That’s my favorite part! I’ve been waiting for somebody to say that. It’s so great.

As is Karl Marx’s face superimposed on Santa Claus’ head! Is the message of that sequence that we were never so different after all?

The question at the heart of the show is whether you can relate to the enemy. That’s a heady intellectual idea—but honestly, the title credits are kind of just a cool concept.

There’s been heated debate among fans about episode 3 (SPOILER ALERT!), when the wife of the couple’s partner, Robert, is found dead after she was promised safe harbor—no one is sure whether or not Elizabeth and Philip really believed she’d be okay. It seemed to me like they were sincere in their desire to help her, but it’s not entirely clear.

I think I shouldn’t answer that, because the truth is, we had endless discussions and debates about it. If you talked to the writers and the different people involved, you would get a lot of different answers—about what they both thought, about what each of them thought individually.

What do Phillip and Elizabeth imagine for their future? Someday returning to the Motherland with their deeply Americanized children?

There were some deep-cover agents that did go back. Others defected. I think Philip and Elizabeth assume they’re going to stay. Though that doesn’t preclude retirement. Even spies retire.

How far ahead have you planned the series?

We’re just breaking the last two episodes now. We have ideas about how the series will end, but they’ll probably change. It’s a constant adjustment. But that flexibility means a lot of exciting things can happen.
Link

That back shot of Nina on tonight's episode. Mannn

A lot of lying going on between Elizabeth and Phillip.

Last edited:
Another really good ep. Got me wondering if Phil really has a son or not. It's clear this ol bird wasn't really built for this spy/commie patriotic life and when **** fell apart when looking for that first love.

More of this internal drama between Phil and Elizabeth is great. I like how she's really concerned and a bit shook in these situations. It's like she saw a new side of Phil after ignoring him for so long and is kinda sprung and doesn't want to lose what she had and didn't really appreciate all this time.

I knew my mans was gonna smash the mole eventually :pimp: Now I know she gonna die horribly :lol:

The disguises are still some of the best things about this show :wow: There's no way Keri's husband isn't requesting she gets to keep the clothes on set and asking her to come home in them :evil: :lol:

Caught up on the previous two plus last nights, one word gripping. This is how you do a show. Next week can't come soon enough.

That back shot of Nina on tonight's episode. Mannn

Yup.

tumblr_mipnj0aEmg1qim9hqo4_250.png
tumblr_mipnj0aEmg1qim9hqo6_250.png
tumblr_mipnj0aEmg1qim9hqo2_250.png

I knew my mans was gonna smash the mole eventually :pimp: Now I know she gonna die horribly :lol:
:lol: :smh:

Best show on television right now...

I been waiting for this show to let up, but it won't.

What got me the most about last night's was how shook she got when he said no.
Just asking him to leave with her was that dangerous...makes me wanna believe she was telling the truth?

Or was she one more test from the higher-ups? :nerd:

I love this show. It keeps finding ways to surprise me, and more than anything...it understands that it's not just enough to know what you want to do, it's how. This show is so damn well executed.

Last edited:

I love this show. It keeps finding ways to surprise me, and more than anything...it understands that it's not just enough to know what you want to do, it's how. This show is so damn well executed.

Man, I didn't even think about that. Would be a crazy little twist on their relationship if so.

Also, do you guys think that there really is that "son" out there about to go to the army? Her answer to him asking makes me have some doubts about it.

Why did Phil beat up Irina in the hotel? I missed the start of that part
Well I'm sure if you watched it again you'd get but if you want it stated right out it was to set up that guy from Poland. She slipped him a mickey, they staged that mugging so she could go back to his hotel room, after he passed out she went to Phil so he could rough her up report it to police and blame it on the Poland guy making communism look bad with his movement. The scandal got out that morning that this alleged celibate and righteous anti-communist leader was beating women among other things and his rep was smeared.

Yup.

tumblr_mipnj0aEmg1qim9hqo4_250.png
tumblr_mipnj0aEmg1qim9hqo6_250.png
tumblr_mipnj0aEmg1qim9hqo2_250.png

:lol: :smh:
I been waiting for this show to let up, but it won't.

What got me the most about last night's was how shook she got when he said no.
Just asking him to leave with her was that dangerous...makes me wanna believe she was telling the truth?

Whoa....never thought about it being another test. Makes sense tho.

Why did Phil lie to Elizabeth about ol girl? I got the feeling if he told her the truth, it would be alright... Now there's going to be hell to pay....

So he can still have the upper hand of who can guilt who. If he told her then they'd at least be even since she basically made their bosses suspicious of him which got him tortured. Plus I'm sure he didn't want to deal with all that drama about who he really loves and all that. Smashing her isn't like when they're smashing other ppl cuz of the job.

Back
Top Bottom