The Bicycle Thread

The more worrying parts are the gel seat cover and the fact that the front brake isn't connected!

It's a work in process [emoji]128553[/emoji]

Nah that's a whole seat! Female at that... Couldn't do the Slim one that was factory.

That bike has been thru so much since I bought... I truly neglect it. It's really bad. Imma take time and put some TLC into this week..

Besides the fact I'm throwing 30 miles a day in it on NYC street with one brake is a little reckless

Made a few adjustments this morning because of y'all "bike shaming" [emoji]128530[/emoji]

Last edited:
They're okay. Decent frame and parts - quite old now though.

Really want to upgrade from this bike but I'm not looking to drop 800-1K on a bike right now. And I don't buy stolen ones, even though there are some great deals out there.

Fuji Newest 3.0

Good morning, everyone.

I am new, brand new into bike riding. Had a pretty horrible calf injury that I've been recovering from for close to 1.5 years now. My choice of cardio throughout my life has been football (flag and contact), soccer and running (2-4 days per week). I am looking to purchase a brand new road bike as well as a trainer for home use. Price range I'm set on $1.5k-$2.5 including the trainer.

I'm pretty stoked to start a new chapter in my life as football will take a backseat, but I'll still continue to play soccer once I get healthy. Any recommendations? I'll be putting miles on this thing in the beautiful streets of Seattle once next summer comes. For now, it'll be the trainer for in home use. Also, any websites for great deals?

Thank you, NT fam.

You have a great budget, I'd suggest buying one in person. This way you can get fitted for one and test it out. I'll leave the tips to the other posters in this forum. They have way better knowledge and bikes than I do. But like I said with your budget you'll be able to get the top tier brands.

Last edited:
winter is the best time to buy a bike. people will be unloading bikes for cheap. keep an eye on craigslist and try to buy local. you'll get a lot more bang for your buck buying a used bike than a new one from a shop

From someone that has bought both of clist and brand new in store, i would suggest trying to finding a good shop with free follow up service. My shop offers free adjustments for the first year. I have gotten multiple free tuneup which they charge $100.

Remember the cost of owning a bike. It is not cheap. You have to keep up with maintenance or it will cost you big.

i would go to a LBS first to get a basic fitting for a bike, then maybe shop around on CL to find the right size frame.

there are plenty of great bikes for under $2500.

i would definitely try to find the trainer on CL. got one from a friend not too long ago for $80 compared to the $300 + tax brand new.

Thank you all! As of now the Cannondale CAAD12 105 is on my radar. Either that or the CAAD10.

Another quick question: Are disc brakes worth the extra price I'd be spending? I live in Seattle, and the research I've done tell me they should be somewhat of a priority riding in the rain. Thoughts on the bike itself, as well as the braking system.

Thank you all! As of now the Cannondale CAAD12 105 is on my radar. Either that or the CAAD10.

Another quick question: Are disc brakes worth the extra price I'd be spending? I live in Seattle, and the research I've done tell me they should be somewhat of a priority riding in the rain. Thoughts on the bike itself, as well as the braking system.

I just got a Caad12 Ultegra a couple months ago. Im addicted.

Road biking is a pretty expensive hobby. I really had no idea when I first started.

Clipless pedals, shoes, jerseys and shorts or bibs, helmet, bottle cages. And that's just the stuff to get you started really. Then you'll want a bike computer/GPS and you might add some extra sensors to get more data, then you might start looking at upgrading your wheels and tires. It's pretty much never-ending : )

I started off just riding by myself until I felt like I had the ability to go on longer rides with the group at the LBS. Once I got hooked up with other riders in the area I really started to improve my fitness. Group riding is a lot of fun.

Oh man, in on this thread.

Here's my Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/8504286

I'm going bike shopping this weekend.

I'm either going CAAD12 or SuperSix. Cannondale is the best geometry for me. I ride an Allez currently I rode both bikes back to back and they felt pretty similar. The SuperSix did feel like it went where I wanted it to though.

I also found a used Hi-Mod on craigslist, but the guy cut down the steering tube and I don't want to get a bike that might not fit me. Also SRAM red will take some time getting used it.

Last edited:

Yes, I would get the disc. Well worth it.

Anyone here with experiences with a fold up like, maybe a Brompton? I'm looking for a commuter bike to cruise around in and leave in my car.

I used Jenson, Nashbar, Wiggle, chain reaction, etc

Best deals are always craigslist if you know what you're looking for, or bike forum classifieds.

Man, sometimes it seems like carbon is way over rated. I just go light aluminum

I hear you bro but I rode one of my friends bikes and he had the deep carbon wheels on there, and it just felt really right. Haven't gotten that feel from an aluminum wheel since. Smh.

Road biking is a pretty expensive hobby. I really had no idea when I first started.

Clipless pedals, shoes, jerseys and shorts or bibs, helmet, bottle cages. And that's just the stuff to get you started really. Then you'll want a bike computer/GPS and you might add some extra sensors to get more data, then you might start looking at upgrading your wheels and tires. It's pretty much never-ending : )

I started off just riding by myself until I felt like I had the ability to go on longer rides with the group at the LBS. Once I got hooked up with other riders in the area I really started to improve my fitness. Group riding is a lot of fun.

I'm lucky that I'm a cheapskate so I just did some minimal upgrades (Kool stop salmon, MKS platform pedals, Gatorskins) on my $250 clearance Diamondback hybrid I picked up in 2008. Replaced with a Japan made Shimano cassette and nicer KMC chain a few months ago cause it started skipping links. Ride and shift is pretty smooth for a cheapie. I get the itch to pick up a road bike all the time though, but then I realize I don't ride nearly enough to justify it.

I did get a cheaper Cateye wireless computer. Makes things a little more fun when you race yourself on your usual routes.

I hear you bro but I rode one of my friends bikes and he had the deep carbon wheels on there, and it just felt really right. Haven't gotten that feel from an aluminum wheel since. Smh.

Don't know that feel! I hope I never do :frown: I did ride some nice HED wheels with Chris King hubs and omfg those wheels got me wet. I can see where you're coming from. IMO, gotta pay to play with wheels. Custom all the way unless you can get a good deal on some pre-mades. Just keep waiting for sales. I've ran into a couple nice 25% off wheel sets. I'll keep you posted. Be sure to sign up for those nashbar emails. I really don't mess with used rims. Unless you really know your wheels, easy to buy some bad wheels imo

Welp. I do know that feel when you ride a hi-mod, but settle for a CAAD12....!

Say hello to my new bike!

#NewBikeAlert

Deal was way to good to pass up.

Last edited:

Hey guys. Thinking I am closing in on a bike. It's tough finding a bike with carbon as well as disc brakes with my desired price tag ($1,800

Back
Top Bottom