The Bicycle Thread

Aventon bikes are so aesthetic pleasing, but from what I hear they are/were cheaply made. How are you liking it? Any issues?

I was thinking of getting a cheap fixed gear or single speed for winter riding, but heard horror stories about aventon frames
I did a lot of research before purchasing, and I had heard the same - a lot of issues with forks or seat posts cracking mostly but as my research continued I also found reports that that was common years ago and in the last couple of years they’ve really cleaned up those issues. None of the stuff I found where that happened was very recent so I decided to give it a shot.
Been riding regularly, multiple times a week in NYC for about 3 months now and no complaints. It’s been very fun to ride, arrived in perfect condition and has been great since I got it.

50E95157-439A-4CF7-9D17-A2C2313FB678.png

Been riding my fixed gear for the past few months but wanted to switch it up today so I took the CAAD12 out. Really want to try to get my average speed up to 15-17 mph for these kind of rides.

What’s a good iPhone app to track my ride?
i use strava free
50E95157-439A-4CF7-9D17-A2C2313FB678.png

Been riding my fixed gear for the past few months but wanted to switch it up today so I took the CAAD12 out. Really want to try to get my average speed up to 15-17 mph for these kind of rides.
damn impressive dude! loving it
I have to try that route someday. I’ve gone from Oakland to Point Richmond but never passed there.

My route today.

F29F6A7D-7BA6-4959-A6E1-B7E1071A7AE6.png

0A00DF5B-0E31-4E0D-B238-64B9E882AF34.jpeg
Beautiful!

yall motivating me to ride out tomorrow morning, maybe break my 20 mile virginity, i kinda wanna hit 50mph down this hill by the crib too

I did a lot of research before purchasing, and I had heard the same - a lot of issues with forks or seat posts cracking mostly but as my research continued I also found reports that that was common years ago and in the last couple of years they’ve really cleaned up those issues. None of the stuff I found where that happened was very recent so I decided to give it a shot.
Been riding regularly, multiple times a week in NYC for about 3 months now and no complaints. It’s been very fun to ride, arrived in perfect condition and has been great since I got it.

Yea that's what I thought, seems like all those stories are from years ago. Will definitely keep it on top of my list for a fixed/single speed

GF got me a bike computer for my birthday. Love this thing, no more worrying about my phone battery dying on my all day rides. It’s a Garmin and they recently got hacked so limited to some of its features right now, but still does a great job.

C7E21B50-A662-4E61-AA66-B869810E3B80.jpeg
I have the Garmin 800, and I mean to tell you I absolutely love that thing. Nice. 🤙

is there an app or website I can use to see trails and paths? I'm trying to figure out if 2 of these trails here link or connect at some point. I figured I could use google maps but I'd assume there's an easier way.

Looking into getting a comfy cruiser bike. I was looking at these 2. Wanted something that looks good and not boring. Does anybody have any opinions on them or actually own one.? Any advice would be appreciated.

Specialized Roll LTD
888753E3-8F7E-4D1B-AB9B-0E395B0281CE.png

Cannondale treadwell
8DD2204F-4721-4F59-8CD5-5DDC7AC336CD.jpeg

is there an app or website I can use to see trails and paths? I'm trying to figure out if 2 of these trails here link or connect at some point. I figured I could use google maps but I'd assume there's an easier way.

Google maps is what I generally use but Kamoot may work also. I’ve used it to create routes in the past.

Guys please don't run lights and stop signs lol. A lot of times drivers are just not going to have the reaction time to stop if you come flying down street out of their line of vision.

When I rode back in the mid 2000s before I gave it up for the timeframe, I saw this a lot and just never understood it! We're on the road and we have to abide the same laws that motor vehicles do. I stopped at every stop sign and light back then. Now since I bought my new bike, I'm only going to ride the paved bike trails that are all over my county. MUCH safer!! When I see a pack of riders blow a light or stop sign and cars have to jam their brakes, I just smh!! 😠 Your not in the freaking Tour De France for crying out loud!! That cadence won't mean crap when your 6 feet under!!

GF got me a bike computer for my birthday. Love this thing, no more worrying about my phone battery dying on my all day rides. It’s a Garmin and they recently got hacked so limited to some of its features right now, but still does a great job.

C7E21B50-A662-4E61-AA66-B869810E3B80.jpeg

nice, i see mad people riding with this or the wahoo

Current bike, trek domane s4. Haven't ridden this year as much as I would like. Did a 12 mile ride a couple days ago and it kicked my ***. Gotta get back to riding shape.

what saddle is that? Brooks?

Are those Garmins more accurate or something? What’s the difference from using that over your phone?

I am thinking about buying a Quadlock case for my phone but interested about the pros and cons of that or using those Garmins.

Here is my bike that I just got today. I didn’t want a fast bike, just something to ride around the city and also hit some light trails on. What is everyone’s opinion on proper seat height? Reason I ask is I’m trying to figure out what’s too high and what’s too low, not sure how to gauge that besides the fact that if it’s too high I’d have trouble getting my feet down at a stop light.
80D3F78D-DA8A-4BBF-95C1-45A5F5EBA30C.jpeg
Great bike man. Surly is perfect for just that. I want one myself for some touring I plan on doing. As far as seat adjustment goes, there is a ton of sources online but your pedal store is probably the most important, then the tilt of the saddle

New bike day! Canyon Endurace in Stealth with Ultegra Disc. Spent last night assembling so I could test ride the next morning. Excuse the flat pedals, the clips are going on the next ride.
IMG_2164.JPG

As far as bike computers go, I've been using a wahoo elemnt roam. Pretty easy to use and integrates with strava seamlessly.

Back
Top Bottom