The Bicycle Thread

Wait paved the whole way or mixed? Crazy either way.

If it's paved, me and the boys gonna have to go back up there next summer with our bikes this time.

I just got my Fizik Powerstrap X4 shoes and man, I already know I am going to fall. I can’t seem to lock in my pedals correctly even just standing still. Need to do some mellow rides before I do long winded ones.

Go to a local park with lots of grass so you can practice clipping in and out.

Switched to clipless pedals last week and damn it’s a game changer for me. Riding fixed I feel way more control and climbing hills got easier. No learning curve, either. Kinda wished I changed over earlier.
54AAF9CF-B3D3-49BD-9CC8-67C18382F8A5.jpeg

Def a game changer, i'm gonna try out clipless real soon as well. I've read that mtb pedals with those 2-bolt cleats are easier to get adjusted to as a beginner.

Dam dam I the only one that doesn’t have omnium cranks?
Worth the price tag?

Yea, if you consider the fact they're cheaper than Dura Ace 7710s and Sugino 75s

It’s crazy how much they went up in prices but I’ve had them on several builds and haven’t tried anything else. What are you using now?

What is their original retail? I got them from state bicycle for $250

Are omniums that good? What are the steals of the fixed world? How are the s300?

Yea, they're stiff so you don't lose any power during pedal stroke. There's a reason why so many people have them.

As far as steals, the Andel track cranks are the best bang for your buck.

I had the s300 when i first started riding in the summer. They're ok for a single speed, but they're not true track cranks with 130bcd and 3/32 width chainring.

I always bug out when even regular pedestrians walk out like that. You can't assume everyone will stop.

So it's finally getting colder in the Bay Area and I actually got caught up in some rain yesterday and realize I need some winter gear. I am trying to go the cheap route cause I swear, I have to go cheap on this hobby somehow since this stuff is costing me so much. Anyone suggest any companies that isn't as expensive as Rapha? I checked Decathlon and their prices are stellar but a lot sold out. I even went to Old Navy and saw some stuff that can work but want to see if there are other bike specific companies first.

I also did my first ride clipped in and I want to say the hype is true as I went faster with an hour ride. I kept my ride pretty mellow too but happened to do the same amount of miles than when I ride with just regular shoes and try harder. The bad thing is, I can't seem to clip in properly when I ride off. Can take almost 30 seconds sometimes. Someone said my Shimano pedals would be an issue and I hate to say, they were right. Hard to clip in only on one side of the pedal all the time.

I always bug out when even regular pedestrians walk out like that. You can't assume everyone will stop.

So it's finally getting colder in the Bay Area and I actually got caught up in some rain yesterday and realize I need some winter gear. I am trying to go the cheap route cause I swear, I have to go cheap on this hobby somehow since this stuff is costing me so much. Anyone suggest any companies that isn't as expensive as Rapha? I checked Decathlon and their prices are stellar but a lot sold out. I even went to Old Navy and saw some stuff that can work but want to see if there are other bike specific companies first.

I also did my first ride clipped in and I want to say the hype is true as I went faster with an hour ride. I kept my ride pretty mellow too but happened to do the same amount of miles than when I ride with just regular shoes and try harder. The bad thing is, I can't seem to clip in properly when I ride off. Can take almost 30 seconds sometimes. Someone said my Shimano pedals would be an issue and I hate to say, they were right. Hard to clip in only on one side of the pedal all the time.
Using SPD-SL? Takes a bit to get used to clipping in after a stop. Definitely dont expect to have it down after the 1st ride. And prepare to fall at least once while clipped in and likely at a stop light lol. Growing pains fam.

You can adjust the tension to help clipping in/out easier. That said just practice it.

Using SPD-SL? Takes a bit to get used to clipping in after a stop. Definitely dont expect to have it down after the 1st ride. And prepare to fall at least once while clipped in and likely at a stop light lol. Growing pains fam.

You can adjust the tension to help clipping in/out easier. That said just practice it.

I am using SPD. I have the Shimano PD-EH500 below which has one side for using regular shoes and one side for clipping in. So aside from trying to clip in, I sometimes have to flip my pedal. And I heard of the falling thing which I guess I am prepared for but I am more concerned about my bike than I am which is dumb but I like want my bike to be new as possible.

719cJQthqwL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I am using SPD. I have the Shimano PD-EH500 below which has one side for using regular shoes and one side for clipping in. So aside from trying to clip in, I sometimes have to flip my pedal. And I heard of the falling thing which I guess I am prepared for but I am more concerned about my bike than I am which is dumb but I like want my bike to be new as possible.

719cJQthqwL._AC_SX425_.jpg
No doubt bro! We spend so much money on these dam things. Last thing I want damaging it is a spill from not being able to clip out.

For SPD you can get double sided pedals. I believe iSSi has double sided pedals, that still have a bit of a platform for leisure rides that dont require clipless. Double sided helps not having to flip the pedals.

My SPD-SL pedals are finally shipping at the end of this month. I ordered them early September. :smh:Amazon UK has the cheapest price for Ultegra pedals that I have seen if anyone is looking. Took forever, but I gotta save ($10) where I can :lol:

I went biking again this week and am realizing the cold is just not for me. I guess in a sense, cycling is seasonable sport. I have been hunting for some budget winter gear but all cycling stuff fits strange. I even bikes in Nike joggers and it got pretty hot. I guess I just have to wait for good weather.

Why are Rapha bib shorts so expensive? Now i know why you guys always mention that they not for the people. That's straight up roadie snob prices.

Yea that's super expensive. I did buy a jersey from there core line, which is closer to what I can afford. Their core bibs are cheaper too. But I still mostly use blackbibs.

I did do a ride today, after not biking for 2 weeks. I need to invest in some cold weather gear as well.

IMG_27DE16032BCA-1.jpeg

IMG_0286.JPG

Last edited:
Yea that's super expensive. I did buy a jersey from there core line, which is closer to what I can afford. Their core bibs are cheaper too. But I still mostly use blackbibs.

I did do a ride today, after not biking for 2 weeks. I need to invest in some cold weather gear as well.

IMG_27DE16032BCA-1.jpeg

That elevation gain :wow:

How you gonna post the route/stats from strava, but not post a pic of the bike/scenery :lol:

Minor maintenance today. Finally trimmed my steerer - looks a lot neater - and new freshly waxed chain. Both on my wet weather bike. I’m not sure about a waxed chain this time of year but we’ll see in a few months. I’m pretty well guaranteed to go through a chain on this bike over the winter - even though when the weather gets really miserable I’ll be on my SS ‘cross bike.

A30A6125-EA6D-4F9A-9860-289BABB81AB5.jpeg

FE9CA9CC-3C63-48EA-9F34-76C17F558BCE.jpeg

That elevation gain :wow:

How you gonna post the route/stats from strava, but not post a pic of the bike/scenery :lol:
Hehe fixed. We never reached some lookout point that we were originally supposed to make it to. Plus my iphone 7's been slowing down alot lately with the recent update... it just sucks taking pics with it now.

Minor maintenance today. Finally trimmed my steerer - looks a lot neater - and new freshly waxed chain. Both on my wet weather bike. I’m not sure about a waxed chain this time of year but we’ll see in a few months. I’m pretty well guaranteed to go through a chain on this bike over the winter - even though when the weather gets really miserable I’ll be on my SS ‘cross bike.

A30A6125-EA6D-4F9A-9860-289BABB81AB5.jpeg

FE9CA9CC-3C63-48EA-9F34-76C17F558BCE.jpeg

After you wax your chain, do you still have to lube it up? Or is that something done instead of lubing? I wanna try something different cuz I keep getting those chain tattoos on my right calf.

After you wax your chain, do you still have to lube it up? Or is that something done instead of lubing? I wanna try something different cuz I keep getting those chain tattoos on my right calf.

No, the wax is the lube - and you can’t add anything to it or it ruins it. It is amazingly clean - you can grab the chain and not get a mark on you.

The chain has to be really clean or it doesn’t stick - so if you put oil on your chain you’d have to start from scratch. You can dissolve some wax in naphtha or something and use that to add lube if it needs it and you don’t have time to rewax - or there are a few wax based lubes that might be okay.

The time consuming part is the initial clean - takes a few hours even on a new chain (and more on a dirty used chain) but when you’re redoing it you just clean in boiling water then put it in the wax - half an hour or so?

Depends on mileage obviously but I’m doing mine every 4-6 weeks. I keep meaning to get a second chain so I always have one to swap which only takes minutes.

Thanks. That's something I'm gonna look into. I just put some fresh lube on my chain, and the slightest touch of my skin turns into a mess.

Times like these in the PNW where I wish I had a good indoor trainer. Main thing I miss about CA is year round riding no matter what! Gotta get back

I just copped a cheap indoor trainer. Planning to use it here and there, primarily to warm up on. If I like it, may invest into a smart trainer eventually.

A0453D36-6CF1-4BC0-B63F-B9FC38DC67CD.jpeg

Feeling super slow these days on the bike and legs feel fatigue. Gotta stick to riding consistently if I want to do long rides or steep climbs.

EDCCFF3E-18B9-478B-9A67-712DFA6C8652.jpeg 1E7801F1-0B3D-4CE7-B778-98F59DE3709B.jpeg 3331E8F2-D3DB-41A5-A858-8CAFEE4E9234.jpeg
Did you take the bike path that goes below Bart tracks? I have to try that route one day and head to Hercules. Sort of getting board with my normal routes. Last ride I had really took a toll on me too and I only dude 36 miles. After 30 miles, my body sort of just shuts down and everything starts to hurt. Oddly I feel my cardio is fine. Just my legs go out.

I just copped a cheap indoor trainer. Planning to use it here and there, primarily to warm up on. If I like it, may invest into a smart trainer eventually.

A0453D36-6CF1-4BC0-B63F-B9FC38DC67CD.jpeg

I think it was you who had a rack that attached to the wall in order to store your bike when not in use. Can you please post a pic again

New bike bag!
4DBFC40E-723A-4EE6-AB68-7EB742BCCF79.jpeg

Bro your stem got a stiffy, you should lower the angle a bit

Back
Top Bottom