The Bicycle Thread

I'm debating on whether or not I should get a fixie, road bike, or hybrid.
I'm mostly going to be using it for recreation/exercise, but I eventually want to build up enough stamina to compete in a race.
Any recommendations? My budget is no more than $400 (new or used)

I'd go used. If you get into it enough you're gonna upgrade eventually, especially if you are looking to race. It can get expensive initially buying pedals, bike shoes, helmet, tubes, etc. When you first get into the sport initial costs are a bit high but you'll be using all of the gear you buy.

^exactly. if/when you decide to upgrade my advice is to not skimp and buy the cheapest parts to get them sooner, save up and get quality parts. it makes all the difference

I copped a Walmart fixie that I kinda upgraded and is my everyday ride (might need a new BB :\), but this one is what I usually take on group rides/bike tours/using now until I get the other fixed

Did the 5 Boro Bike Tour and gonna doing the Brooklyn Waterfront Epic Ride next week week on this (I like color orange)....

Once I get my $ up, I'll start looking into road bikes (so expensive)....Any other heads attending the BK Epic ride

Sup guys? Gotta question, would this bike? If so, which freewheel would be best? Sorry, i don't really know about bikes. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
^^^Depends on the crankset on the bike. There is crank to cog ratio. Forgot what I even have but I'd suggest looking that up first.

That Motobecane comes with a flipflop hub, so you'll be able to thread a singlespeed cog on one of the sides. As for the sizes of the cog, yeah that depends on the crank I think. It says it's a 1/8?, and the one you posted might be too big. I hope I'm right lol :nerd:

Speaking of bikes, I wanna built a new fixed gear. Something for school with bike baskets and stuff lol

Last edited:
Speaking of bikes, I wanna built a new fixed gear. Something for school with bike baskets and stuff lol
Damb, not too long ago I did that for my ex for her birthday, I was gonna surprise her |I... never got to see her again so I ended up just giving the bicycle to my little sis :smokin

That Motobecane comes with a flipflop hub, so you'll be able to thread a singlespeed cog on one of the sides. As for the sizes of the cog, yeah that depends on the crank I think. It says it's a 1/8?, and the one you posted might be too big. I hope I'm right lol :nerd:

Yeah, thanks for that! I found another one.

^^^Depends on the crankset on the bike. There is crank to cog ratio. Forgot what I even have but I'd suggest looking that up first.

Thanks! It's 1/2 x 1/8, so ill be purchasing this, Amazon product ASIN B001GSSIIG

debating on whether or not to bike to school. about 4 miles all on a downhill slope but the way backis all mostly uphill

and what do u guys do to listen to music while riding?

Some nice rides in here! Here's my contribution: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9, 2011 Cannondale Slice

I just copped a 2013 Cannondale Quick CX 5, but I've never seen it or ridden it, does anyone have any experience with this bike? I am waiting for it to arrive at my bike shop and am was given the option for a free return if I don't like it. I will be doing casual NYC bike riding, probably no more than 25 miles each outing.

Here is a link to the bike: http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes/recreation-urban/recreation/quick-cx/quick-cx-5

Last edited:
Serious question for you bike guys. whats the deal with the different wheels not matching ? Is there a logical reason or is it just cosmetic? 

Serious question for you bike guys. whats the deal with the different wheels not matching ? Is there a logical reason or is it just cosmetic? 

if ur talking about how some ppl have a front wheel with only five big spokes supposedly that serves aa purpose because it doesnt break the wind or something like dat

there are reasons why people might have mismatched wheels, aerodynamics, durability, weight savings...but it was all about the aesthetic for me:

I've seen spinergys straight up fold during normal riding, my boy took a pretty gnarly spill.

Back
Top Bottom