The Bicycle Thread

Cannondale.jpeg
Giant.jpeg

these are my two favorite bikes, the rest are all beaters

need to do maintenance on both, tubes and frames.
the road bike needs some derauiller maintenance maybe brakes too.
called a couple local shops and they both have wait times of 1-2 weeks.
looks like i will order the parts and work on them myself.
any recommendation on where to order parts?
the shops dont even have tires for my mountain bike, thinking of getting some 2.3 wide tires super aggressive tread
let's go rideeeeeee

I wouldn’t - the price is obviously tempting but it’s going to be really poor quality - 20lbs is actually heavy for a single geared bike - it’s not too bad for a budget road bike but removing all the gear parts saves quite a bit - and the components are all cheap.

It’s also too small - you want more like a 56 probably.

You’d get something much better for your money second hand.

I ended up buying it around the time you sent this earlier today

I don’t find it too small for me though. I might need to drop the seat a tiny bit but it rides smooth. I’m going to switch the hub to made it a fixie. I don’t like the single speed That much
D7B7B5BB-EDFE-4DAB-8020-93EE3A44515E.jpeg

^ So hard to put on. 😬
give me tips!!

just put on the tubes and the tires are on but the bead is not set, they are still kinda kinked from being in the box, i figured if i put some air in the tire i can have it set in the bead.

but i dont have the adapter for these valves, i lost it lol

and the shop by my crib didnt have 26x2.3s for the mountain bike so ill have to wait for an online order.

LA peeps lets ride out maybe next weekend or sunday if yall down

lil black jean jacket lil black jean jacket
bendover bendover

give me tips!!

just put on the tubes and the tires are on but the bead is not set, they are still kinda kinked from being in the box, i figured if i put some air in the tire i can have it set in the bead.

but i dont have the adapter for these valves, i lost it lol

and the shop by my crib didnt have 26x2.3s for the mountain bike so ill have to wait for an online order.

LA peeps lets ride out maybe next weekend or sunday if yall down

lil black jean jacket lil black jean jacket
bendover bendover

Pinch the beads together and work it all the way round the rim so the tyre is in the lowest part of the rim then at the top work the bead over the rim with your thumbs getting closer together - hopefully the last part will just roll over with some effort.
Like Ska says though these are renowned for being tight - and for their harsh ride!

Good winter choice though as they’re durable.

If the bead is uneven put something like 120psi in them and it should slowly settle - then go back to your normal pressure. Sometimes a bit of soap on the rim helps too if that doesn’t do it.

I ended up buying it around the time you sent this earlier today

I don’t find it too small for me though. I might need to drop the seat a tiny bit but it rides smooth. I’m going to switch the hub to made it a fixie. I don’t like the single speed That much
D7B7B5BB-EDFE-4DAB-8020-93EE3A44515E.jpeg

If that’s your seat height it looks fine. I doubt their measurements though - there’s no way that’s a 53. That would be an odd size for it to be the only one - that’s like a small and it obviously makes more sense to make a medium frame if it’s all you’re going to do.

Pinch the beads together and work it all the way round the rim so the tyre is in the lowest part of the rim then at the top work the bead over the rim with your thumbs getting closer together - hopefully the last part will just roll over with some effort.
Like Ska says though these are renowned for being tight - and for their harsh ride!

Good winter choice though as they’re durable.

If the bead is uneven put something like 120psi in them and it should slowly settle - then go back to your normal pressure. Sometimes a bit of soap on the rim helps too if that doesn’t do it.
I usually do run about 120 on my road bike LOL
Thanks for the advice ina try it now

Soap DEFINITELY helps get that bead tucked into the rim on road tires, especially Continentals, especially THOSE Continentals. Or if you happen to have bike polish, that helps a ton, too.

And as a general rule, if you're using a tire lever, I tend to stay away from metal levers. I just use plastic.

Yeah, don’t use metal levers ever. You don’t really want to have to use any to get tyres on. I got new wheels recently that are tubeless ready and started off bad - but by carefully working it round I got it with just my thumbs - and one lever for off. If I can’t do it in my garage I don’t want to have to try at the wide of the road.

I usually do run about 120 on my road bike LOL
Thanks for the advice ina try it now

Too much! I weigh about 230 and 100psi in a 25c tyre is more than enough. That’s too much and you’re just giving yourself a harsh ride for no reason.

Yeah, don’t use metal levers ever. You don’t really want to have to use any to get tyres on. I got new wheels recently that are tubeless ready and started off bad - but by carefully working it round I got it with just my thumbs - and one lever for off. If I can’t do it in my garage I don’t want to have to try at the wide of the road.

Too much! I weigh about 230 and 100psi in a 25c tyre is more than enough. That’s too much and you’re just giving yourself a harsh ride for no reason.

i went withur advice and put about 100 in both I weigh about 178lbs
Just did a few miles around the neighborhood and got a little winded on the hills but I miss this feeling.

need to work on the gears, the gearchanger for the big sprocket
Man, the Giant Trance has come such a long way. Have you seen new ones?

I have an old 90s full suspension MTB as well. Cannondale Super V, from around the same time as your Cannondale. 🤙

My pops copped this at a thrift store for like 250-300 a few years ago. SUPER STEAL
The suspension feels good I bought tubes yesterday and still shopping for new tires

the new ones r dope but people forget that old bikes work just fine haha

74A4B877-53A1-4118-9AB7-435CB1FAD0A6.jpeg
FBCFC33A-2D33-4DAC-A658-DB99B8BE82DC.jpeg
9FD312AE-BE9F-4CF9-91E2-7233105E02C6.jpeg

installed the new tires and tubes this morning, was surprisingly not as difficult compared to a motorcycle haha.

but I’m so glad I didn’t skimp on tires these feel so good on the road.

always keep a body armor on deck #RIPKOBE

any saddle recommendations?

I got a wack *** one rn thatis in the place of my balls

any saddle recommendations?
Are you going to ride that Canondale fast, or just casual rides? Are you going for comfort (wider saddle, harder to go fast), or speed (narrow saddle, uncomfortable due to shape and very little padding)?

saddles are something you gotta try out. what works for me might not work for you. if you haven’t been riding your gooch is gonna feel like you took sand paper to it regardless :lol:

I just pulled the bike out of storage. need to start putting some miles in. need to get her cleaned up and lubed to get back on the road

5BE4B38A-7FB8-4FB7-969E-0949C893F23B.jpeg

Fast that’s why I copped the best tires the shop had haha.
I’m going for speed, but don’t wanna break the bank
I really like the feel of Cloud 9 saddles, and they have a decent price point for whatever you're looking for.

And I generally lean in Giant's direction. I don't know if you consider it sacriligious to put a Giant product on a Cannondale bike, but this Giant Connect is the exact saddle I have on my road bike:

20200620_135058.jpg

Saddles is the most personal thing for you and your bike - like DonRafa DonRafa said you need to try some and find what works.
eBay is good for that - you can buy a used one and see how it is and sell it on basically for the same money. Some shops will let you try them out or there’s a place around here that does a custom fitting - something like $200 for the session.
Saying that I’ve done well with the Specialized BG range - got 4 of them on different bikes. They come in a variety of widths so you can get one to suit.

I really like the feel of Cloud 9 saddles, and they have a decent price point for whatever you're looking for.

And I generally lean in Giant's direction. I don't know if you consider it sacriligious to put a Giant product on a Cannondale bike, but this Giant Connect is the exact saddle I have on my road bike:

20200620_135058.jpg
idc about brands ill check those out, thanks

Back
Top Bottom