The Bicycle Thread

0AC45BC4-A58D-483B-8E95-92E79657C855.jpeg
Griffith park ride :smile:

Brought the track bike out last night for an after-hours ride. My first time cycling more than 2 miles around my block in almost 4 weeks. Strava says it's my longest ride, but I'm sure i've done close to a 30 miler but i didn't track it. My quads were feeling it this morning after such a long layoff.

I also don't know why i get so many flats in my front tire all the time. About 4 miles into the ride we had to hit a u turn and ride slow in the dark since i had no spare tube. I need to get baptized in the strongest holy water cause something bad always happens when i go and ride with the boys.

Screenshot_20200930-214105.png

PXL_20200930_012940826.jpg

Brought the track bike out last night for an after-hours ride. My first time cycling more than 2 miles around my block in almost 4 weeks. Strava says it's my longest ride, but I'm sure i've done close to a 30 miler but i didn't track it. My quads were feeling it this morning after such a long layoff.

I also don't know why i get so many flats in my front tire all the time. About 4 miles into the ride we had to hit a u turn and ride slow in the dark since i had no spare tube. I need to get baptized in the strongest holy water cause something bad always happens when i go and ride with the boys.

Screenshot_20200930-214105.png

PXL_20200930_012940826.jpg
strong , nice bike b

strong , nice bike b

Thanks man, but the build is not quite complete yet. I still want to get a set of proper track cranks. The ones on there are more for a single speed bike and they're 130bcd. And maybe some carbon bits, like the seatpost and a stem.

But just like you, i got bit by the new bike bug and want to get another LOL.

I'm looking at this titanium joint, but it's about $3k just for the frameset. 😷🥵

Thanks man, but the build is not quite complete yet. I still want to get a set of proper track cranks. The ones on there are more for a single speed bike and they're 130bcd. And maybe some carbon bits, like the seatpost and a stem.

But just like you, i got bit by the new bike bug and want to get another LOL.

I'm looking at this titanium joint, but it's about $3k just for the frameset. 😷🥵
:lol:

yeah i think ima hold off on another bike hopefully till 2021

i dont ride anything that warrants a full suspension

got a new stem to dial in on my fit a bit more. Never did anything to my bike before but I’m assuming switching your stem out is pretty straightforward and fool-proof right? Lol
any tips would be appreciated
6080290B-F93E-4138-BC85-9E25B7598D75.jpeg

got a new stem to dial in on my fit a bit more. Never did anything to my bike before but I’m assuming switching your stem out is pretty straightforward and fool-proof right? Lol

You can't go wrong doing it yourself, just make sure you have the right tools. Watch a youtube video if you're unsure.

What's the reach on that? And i'm assumimg the material is an aluminum alloy?

You're going shorter cause you wanna be in a more upright position?
I'm going to tinker with the position of my saddle but I more so wanted to get a better fit since my frame made me feel a tad stretched out. So I guess you could say I am trying to get more upright. I never got a proper bike fit or anything but I always felt like my frame was pretty big for its size, I am 5'11 and my surly frame is a 54cm. I was thinking between the 54 or 56 but opted for the smaller one because it felt better on my test ride. I have also read and heard that Surly frames "run big", so that might be the case here.

I guess my question is, now that I have a shorter stem, what other factors should I take into consideration besides the fore-aft position of my saddle? I figured the stem was the quick and easy way to alter the fit, but besides that I can only think of the saddle position.

Don’t use the saddle position to change the length of the bike - the only reason you should move the saddle is to get your feet in the correct position on the pedals - knee over spindle is a good start but not always right.

Then move the bars to make it the right length.

Changing a stem is easy - just remove the old one, put the new one on, tighten the bolts holding the bars but leave the bolts holding the stem to the steerer loose, tighten the top cap - doesn’t need much, just enough to take the play out of the headset - then tighten the stem bolts.

The only thing you have to watch for is the height of the clamp part of the stem - make sure that the top of that is 2-3mm above the top of the steerer or the top cap can’t do its job. If it’s different from the old stem you have to change the spacers so not a big deal.

Palace collabed with Rapha and Canondale.

Haven't quite punched in on the lycra-lyfe yet, but this is pretty chic.

Love what Rapha and EF did with the whole "gone racing" concept, unfortunately their Dirty Kanza video seems to have gone awol.

Use a torque wrench. Also, throw something straight like a broom through your front wheel against the fork horizontally (like it would sit on the spokes and be parallel to the floor) and use that to help visually line up your handlebars.

What prompted you to get a new stem? Did you get fitted? If so, they should be swapping those out for you in the process.

Haven't quite punched in on the lycra-lyfe yet, but this is pretty chic.

Love what Rapha and EF did with the whole "gone racing" concept, unfortunately their Dirty Kanza video seems to have gone awol.
Lachlan Morton is a breath of fresh air to pro "road" racing with his ideas to push that concept the last couple of years. Alex Howes has always had that vibe, but he really excelled with Lachlan's lead.

I hope they, as well as other teams, continue to go that route and bring off-road racing more mainstream. New teams dedicated to that format even. With drones getting better and better, I could see something like Grinduro and maybe DK2 (might have to join in around the last 100k) getting a broadcast contract in the future. Depends on terrain I guess, but Paris Roubaix is a successful one-day, gritty AF race that I can't miss.

Prime Day coming up, any recommendations for a beginner? So far in this thread:
Trek
Specialized Sirris 1.0
Giant
Cannonade quick 5,6 or CX 5/6
Surly

Back
Top Bottom