The Car Payment Thread Vol. Next time I'm buying Used..

1st car was a 03 Buick Century...been paid off..My dad swapped cars with me after college, I now have his old 05' Murano. The Murano was about 450-500/mth..Paid that off last year. My bro swears by those auto auctions tho. He just got a 04 Monte/60,000 miles for 4 racks. I'll prob hit the auctions early next year b/c really don't want to trade in the Murano..its a beast.

1st car was a 03 Buick Century...been paid off..My dad swapped cars with me after college, I now have his old 05' Murano. The Murano was about 450-500/mth..Paid that off last year. My bro swears by those auto auctions tho. He just got a 04 Monte/60,000 miles for 4 racks. I'll prob hit the auctions early next year b/c really don't want to trade in the Murano..its a beast.

Trying to buy a dodge Challenger between now and Christmas...maybe an 09 baseline SE model....Im 22 and never had a car payment..is this a good idea?

What kind of payments do you think I would be looking at?

Trying to buy a dodge Challenger between now and Christmas...maybe an 09 baseline SE model....Im 22 and never had a car payment..is this a good idea?

What kind of payments do you think I would be looking at?

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

1) first car was a 97' camry with about 70k miles

purchased it in 03' for $9,700 in cash (the car was in immaculate condition with all service records provided)...put 120k worry free miles on it (less than 2k in unscheduled maintenance in 7 years of ownership). selling it now for $2,700 (will take 2k for it, though)--so after it sells, I basically put no money in it besides tires/oil changes.

the camry sold on craigslist overnight (listed it last night, sold it to the first buyer today)...perfect experience for a first car. buy used, take care of your vehicle and you won't regret it!

-waystinthyme

purchased it in 03' for $9,700 in cash (the car was in immaculate condition with all service records provided)...put 120k worry free miles on it (less than 2k in unscheduled maintenance in 7 years of ownership). selling it now for $2,700 (will take 2k for it, though)--so after it sells, I basically put no money in it besides tires/oil changes.

the camry sold on craigslist overnight (listed it last night, sold it to the first buyer today)...perfect experience for a first car. buy used, take care of your vehicle and you won't regret it!

-waystinthyme

2010 mustang gt payments are $560.45 insurance just got down to 140 switching from geico to Statefarm lol interest is 14% lol I can't wait to refinance I wonder how much my payments will be once I do? I'm 23 years old by the way lol

2010 mustang gt payments are $560.45 insurance just got down to 140 switching from geico to Statefarm lol interest is 14% lol I can't wait to refinance I wonder how much my payments will be once I do? I'm 23 years old by the way lol

2010 mustang gt payments are $560.45 last payment is December 2012, insurance just got down to 140 switching from geico to Statefarm lol interest is 14% lol I can't wait to refinance I wonder how much my payments will be once I do? I'm 23 years old by the way lol

2010 mustang gt payments are $560.45 last payment is December 2012, insurance just got down to 140 switching from geico to Statefarm lol interest is 14% lol I can't wait to refinance I wonder how much my payments will be once I do? I'm 23 years old by the way lol

$509.16...

2009 F-150 Lariat...

I give my peoples $200 for insurance, but I'm pretty sure its lower than that...

I'm ahead on my car payments right now, been payin a lot on principle...

So far, so good...

$509.16...

2009 F-150 Lariat...

I give my peoples $200 for insurance, but I'm pretty sure its lower than that...

I'm ahead on my car payments right now, been payin a lot on principle...

So far, so good...

Got a 07 Acura TL w/ 16,000 miles last December

387 a month, 66 months, with an extended warranty until 2014.

Powertrain 100k or 2014 and Extended Warranty covers everything except wear and tear items. Tires, Brakes etc.

Got a 07 Acura TL w/ 16,000 miles last December

387 a month, 66 months, with an extended warranty until 2014.

Powertrain 100k or 2014 and Extended Warranty covers everything except wear and tear items. Tires, Brakes etc.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Originally Posted by dreClark

Definitely don't f around with that note ##*%. Straight cash...auto auctions. Wouldn't do it any other way.
Did you get that Range that had the crackhead price?
Na..._'s kept giving me nightmare stories on Range's. Heard they're one...if not the worst when it comes to maintenance. 
I'm playing the auctions now for a new whip. 
Auctions are the way to go to find a slightly used car, as im currently looking for a new car (GS 350 most likely).

The thing is, you're not allowed to test drive it there at the auction, so you really dont know what you're getting. However, the price you can get some cars for
eek.gif
pimp.gif

and yes, stay away from Range Rover.

Definitely don't f around with that note ##*%. Straight cash...auto auctions. Wouldn't do it any other way.
Na..._'s kept giving me nightmare stories on Range's. Heard they're one...if not the worst when it comes to maintenance. 
Auctions are the way to go to find a slightly used car, as im currently looking for a new car (GS 350 most likely).

The thing is, you're not allowed to test drive it there at the auction, so you really dont know what you're getting. However, the price you can get some cars for
eek.gif
pimp.gif

and yes, stay away from Range Rover.

2) just picked up an 07' acura TL with 40k miles

had the money to purchase it in cash, but it would have left me with very little liquid savings, plus i didn't have any auto loan on my credit report. got the car from a private seller for 20k, put 14k down, financed 6k for 24 months at 4.75%. so my payment is $263 for 2 years that gets directly pulled from my account each month--going to let the loan mature for the full 24 months so I have a good term loan on my credit report for future purchases (mortgage, next car, etc.). btw, i'll only end up paying ~260 in interest over the 2 year period (a small price to pay for a solid term (auto) loan that will remain on my credit report for 10 years after the maturity date).

at times, i think i should have picked up an 06-08 accord for around 16-18k (and jumped into the luxury car market on my next purchase) but i'm happy with the TL so far (love this body style). hoping it proves to be as reliable as my camry was...

in my opinion, it's better to buy slightly used. for your first car (HS or early college) i'd pick up a 5-7 year old camry or accord. for the rest (once you get a solid job) i'd pick up a 2-3 year old used vehicle with low miles. i don't think i'll ever buy new...rather let someone else take the depreciation hit, while i reap the benefits.

-waystinthyme
This!! Only paying 260 in interest is a win in my book.

The next car i buy is going to be about 18k and im going to try and put 10k down. I have a 98 camry right now to get me through college.

2) just picked up an 07' acura TL with 40k miles

had the money to purchase it in cash, but it would have left me with very little liquid savings, plus i didn't have any auto loan on my credit report. got the car from a private seller for 20k, put 14k down, financed 6k for 24 months at 4.75%. so my payment is $263 for 2 years that gets directly pulled from my account each month--going to let the loan mature for the full 24 months so I have a good term loan on my credit report for future purchases (mortgage, next car, etc.). btw, i'll only end up paying ~260 in interest over the 2 year period (a small price to pay for a solid term (auto) loan that will remain on my credit report for 10 years after the maturity date).

at times, i think i should have picked up an 06-08 accord for around 16-18k (and jumped into the luxury car market on my next purchase) but i'm happy with the TL so far (love this body style). hoping it proves to be as reliable as my camry was...

in my opinion, it's better to buy slightly used. for your first car (HS or early college) i'd pick up a 5-7 year old camry or accord. for the rest (once you get a solid job) i'd pick up a 2-3 year old used vehicle with low miles. i don't think i'll ever buy new...rather let someone else take the depreciation hit, while i reap the benefits.

-waystinthyme
This!! Only paying 260 in interest is a win in my book.

The next car i buy is going to be about 18k and im going to try and put 10k down. I have a 98 camry right now to get me through college.

I financed my Acura TSX I bought Saturday for 21k @ 3yrs and 4.09%. I didn't put a down payment on it though so as of right now I think it is ~600ish. Plan on knocking it down to about 4 - 6 k by October though. I get an allowance from my company for a car and reimbursed on the gas mileage.

I financed my Acura TSX I bought Saturday for 21k @ 3yrs and 4.09%. I didn't put a down payment on it though so as of right now I think it is ~600ish. Plan on knocking it down to about 4 - 6 k by October though. I get an allowance from my company for a car and reimbursed on the gas mileage.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

love how they look but ive heard the same

electrical issues right?
More or less.

Sad that such a beautiful car is worth **$$ because of maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom