The College Basketball Post

so if you're a high school kid with aspirations of going to the nba why would you go to Kansas then if it isn't self's job to develop you into a pro prospect?

sure in a perfect world.

dude NCAA coaches pretend like it is but it isn't

you can count on one hand the amount that actually do things to help guys develop for the NBA.

Self #1 job is to win college basketball games and if that happens to line up with you getting better for the NBA then fine.

so if you're a high school kid with aspirations of going to the nba why would you go to Kansas then if it isn't self's job to develop you into a pro prospect?
No, he's developed plenty of guys into NBA prospects. If you're Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, etc, he's not going to build around you and highlight your talents, because he has his set system and that's what he does. He's more into winning games than he is showcasing his premiere guys. 

watching lavin i unfortunately agree with you that some guys only care about w's. lav is the reason jakarr left early. had dude playing the 4 just to use the size mismatch which wasn't even that drastic instead of developing him as a 3.

As much as I hate Lavin, Sampson couldn't dribble or shoot. His best position at the junction was the 4 because he was an athletic mismatch. Was he supposed to let him play 3 and hurt the team? Player development is mostly out of game work, that then translates into being successful in the game.

he was supposed to develop him into a well rounded player instead of focusing on the 1 thing he did well and leaving his weaknesses to stagnate or get worse

I don't thingk anything was going to help Jakkarr Sampson.

He has this problem...I believe it's called a lack of talent.

he was supposed to develop him into a well rounded player instead of focusing on the 1 thing he did well and leaving his weaknesses to stagnate or get worse
He was just a super athletic, entitled kid. Can't put that all on Lavin. He had no basketball skill. He couldn't shoot, dribble, and he had a poor BB IQ. Focusing on the one thing he did well was much better for him, because he struggled mightily doing anything else.

Too early to tell on Cliff Anderson, but i agree that Kansas wasn't the best stop to go to as they are a guard driven offense.

T-Rob's ceiling wasn't high? What? 

Is trimble legit? haven't seen him play yet, and, unfortunately, am unable to tonight.

Last edited:
Too early to tell on Cliff Anderson, but i agree that Kansas wasn't the best stop to go to as they are a guard driven offense.

Is trimble legit? haven't seen him play yet, and, unfortunately, am unable to tonight.

1. It's cliff alexander.

2. Bill self generally runs a big oriented offense.

Cliff playing pretty good now, just now up to some people expectations.

It wasn't. 

He was an extremely late bloomer in HS who maxed out his potential at Kansas. You can get away w/ being stronger than everyone else in college. In the pros...he's undersized and has not one discernible skill that keeps him in someone's rotation.

Self is a great college basketball coach IMO

What he does with Elite HS players is a different subject but he is great with the Perry Ellis types

This. I have said it since the day that he got here that Self's best coaching jobs came with under talented guys / teams that he coached up. He is just not the guy to manage premier talent like Cal can do and thus the reason why we have been missing out on those guys.

As far as Cliff goes. He has been a disappointment. Self was relying on him to be the 5 that cements Self's 'high / low' game that he likes to run. Whether it be injuries, conditioning, mental, whatever it just hasn't happened yet.

Oh and that dumb fan that ran on the court and deliberately bumped 'Mari should be thanking his lucky stars something bad didn't happen to him. If that would have been the Morris' Twins he could have ended up like that Mizzou fan that got smoked by the Nebraska football player a few years back. Players shouldn't be in the stands and fans shouldn't be on the field.

I like Self as a college coach, with that being said I feel like a lot of Kansas dudes don't live up to their potential...I'm not sure if it's the system or the players themselves...But what do I know,I've been salty at Kansas since they got Xavier Henry over UK...

Last edited:

It wasn't. 

He was an extremely late bloomer in HS who maxed out his potential at Kansas. You can get away w/ being stronger than everyone else in college. In the pros...he's undersized and has not one discernible skill that keeps him in someone's rotation.
If he just focused on rebounding, he could be really good. But then again, he probably isn't reliable enough on defense for coaches to leave him in to get rebounds.

Dez with the boof [emoji]128526[/emoji]. Hope Terps can pull this out.

Such a weak year in college BBall though. Can't belive these are the #5 and #15 teams in the nation.

Back
Top Bottom