The College Basketball Post

I swear G... EVERY SQUAD... 6-10 in the paint, never fails
smh.gif

Sherron Collins played GREAT last night against Oklahoma...Boy's draft stock must be getting better and better.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I'd still bet on Dajuan going pro. From what I hear he really doesn't want to play another year under JT3.

He reminds me of Mareese Speights from last year. Talented, yet underwhelming underclassman who played for an underachieving team that probably SHOULD return for another year but will test the waters and end up having solid workouts and get taken somewhere in the first round.
You think he's still a lock for the 1st round at this point?
Have you seen the draft pool? Name 30 players better than him right now...or 30 players with more potential that are coming out next year. He's a first round pick by default

I think he's a 1st round talent, but by no means do I think he's a lock for the 1st round (if that makes any sense)....he's gonna be one of thoseguys who will probably be projected to go late in the 1st, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he went in the 2nd. It really doesn't matter if he isbetter than 30 players with less potential, there are usually a few guys who fit this category and end up getting drafted much later than expected. DemetrisNichols, Josh McRoberts, Leon Powe, James White, etc etc....

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

big game for penn state and craftsy tonight! ..

ohwell.gif
indeeeed. We need 3 of our last 4 to feel safe about dancing...this is the hardest one left of the four, so it'd be huge to grab it tonight against a reeling OSU squad. But I still believe 2 of 4 keeps us on thebubble, and a BTT win might push us in depending what else happens around the country.

It's just nice to be in the discussion again for the first time in 8 years.
tired.gif

Roscoe DAVIS Seymore, not Roscoe Smith.

I believe the Roscoe you are thinking about is SMITH. The SF that visited Duke and Allen always talks about.

And Co-Sign on that big man #!##.

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

yea... I was talking about the boy from MD... Who the %++! is Roscoe Davis, where in the hell did he come from??? I need the Skinny
nerd.gif

Whats with people really naming their sons Roscoe
smh.gif

edit: Yea Dre the article specifially says Roscoe Smith. But who is Roscoe Davis?

I'd still bet on Dajuan going pro. From what I hear he really doesn't want to play another year under JT3.

He reminds me of Mareese Speights from last year. Talented, yet underwhelming underclassman who played for an underachieving team that probably SHOULD return for another year but will test the waters and end up having solid workouts and get taken somewhere in the first round.
Have you seen the draft pool? Name 30 players better than him right now...or 30 players with more potential that are coming out next year. He's a first round pick by default

I think he's a 1st round talent, but by no means do I think he's a lock for the 1st round (if that makes any sense)....he's gonna be one of those guys who will probably be projected to go late in the 1st, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he went in the 2nd. It really doesn't matter if he is better than 30 players with less potential, there are usually a few guys who fit this category and end up getting drafted much later than expected. Demetris Nichols, Josh McRoberts, Leon Powe, James White, etc etc....
Difference is...all of those guys were chosen in MUCH weaker drafts...I don't I've ever seen Nichols, McRoberts, and Powe considered firstround locks when they came out. McRoberts especially...he had awful workouts and chose against camp when it was advised he should have gone. Powe was a 6'7PF with shot knees...everyone knew he wasn't going first round. White was considered a bubble. With there being no more draft camp and everything bepredicated on workouts now with the upcoming draft...I just refuse to believe Summers isn't a first round pick. Put him in a group with other wings andhe's going to stand out in NBA workouts. Like I said this year espcially...you'd be hard pressed to find 30 players who'd go before summers. I caneasily name 30 guys who were better than each one of those names you listed in their respective drafts.

who is Roscoe Davis?
6'10 PF from the DC Metro Area. Committed to West Virginia but failed to qualify and had to prep.

^ True and some GM would've lost their job 3yrs later.

Hence I really do believe that that rule should be more stiff, $tern should've made it two yrs removed from your graduating class.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

edit: Yea Dre the article specifially says Roscoe Smith. But who is Roscoe Davis?

Yeah, I read over that part. So disregard what I said. I thought you confused Davis w/ Smith.

With there being no more draft camp and everything be predicated on workouts now
That !++* is GAY. GAY, GAY, GAY.

smh.gif

I think he's a 1st round talent, but by no means do I think he's a lock for the 1st round (if that makes any sense)....he's gonna be one of those guys who will probably be projected to go late in the 1st, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he went in the 2nd. It really doesn't matter if he is better than 30 players with less potential, there are usually a few guys who fit this category and end up getting drafted much later than expected. Demetris Nichols, Josh McRoberts, Leon Powe, James White, etc etc....
Difference is...all of those guys were chosen in MUCH weaker drafts...I don't I've ever seen Nichols, McRoberts, and Powe considered first round locks when they came out. McRoberts especially...he had awful workouts and chose against camp when it was advised he should have gone. Powe was a 6'7 PF with shot knees...everyone knew he wasn't going first round. White was considered a bubble. With there being no more draft camp and everything be predicated on workouts now with the upcoming draft...I just refuse to believe Summers isn't a first round pick. Put him in a group with other wings and he's going to stand out in NBA workouts. Like I said this year espcially...you'd be hard pressed to find 30 players who'd go before summers. I can easily name 30 guys who were better than each one of those names you listed in their respective drafts.

who is Roscoe Davis?
6'10 PF from the DC Metro Area. Committed to West Virginia but failed to qualify and had to prep.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. There's no clear cut answer, just rather it's gotta all play out once June rolls around. I justthink that Summers is on that 1st round bubble at this point. I do think a lot can change for better or worse depending on camps, workouts, etc....Iwouldn't be surprised or shocked to see him end up in round 2. As far as White, Powe, McRoberts, and Nichols all of those dudes (like Summers) wereprojected to go in the first round at some point during their collegiate careers. Obviously injuries, bad decisions, poor workouts/camps, played a part ofwhere they were drafted. However, like your argument with Summers, you can't tell me that some of these guys like I mentioned weren't as, or moretalented than some of the names called out before them.

Big game between Nebraska and Texas A&M tonight...bubble bursting game for the loser while the winner stays on.

I have a good that if A&M wins tonight, we'll go 6-0 to end conference play (with a win over Missouri at Reed), and make it to the tourney.

can someone post the gif with the dude in the stands flexing behind the backboard while some teamis trying to shoot a freethrow? i think it's a dunk/unc game...not sure though..

thanks!

Erin: Coach said Naismith probably rolled over a couple of times when he saw that final score (38-33).
Brent: He certainly did.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

shuges - who is your squad? i should know this, but with all the pictures you provide i can't remember who you actually roll with..

The lowdown on the NBA's top prospects, Illini make the AP ballot

Story Highlights
Greg Monroe and Blake Griffin top the NBA scouts' draft boards
Despite reservations, Stephen Curry and Tyler Hansbrough are pro material
Breathe easy, Illini fans, Illinois returns to the latest AP ballot

dejuan-blair.jpg

One NBA scout described Pitt big man DeJuan Blair as "a stud."
Getty Images
Seth Davis's Mailbag
Seth Davis will periodically answer questions from SI.com users in his Hoop Thoughts column.
Name:
Email:
Hometown:
Question:
SEND
ADVERTISEMENT

Good news, Hoop Thinkers. Finch is back.

Devoted readers of this space (both of you) will recall Finch is the invention of my esteemed colleague Alex Wolff, who assigned the pseudonym to an NBA scoutwhom Alex followed throughout the 2000-01 college season. Alex, a highbrow, literary type, chose to name his protagonist "Finch" because that was thecharacter Scout's surname in the novel To Kill A Mockingbird.

I have once again mimicked that exercise for all you Hoop Thinkers. Over the past two weeks, I asked six NBA scouts and executives to give me their opinions onsome of the top college players in the country. Since these professional bird-dogs generally don't like to see their names in print or on the Internet --especially since NBA rules forbid them from commenting on non-seniors -- I have combined all of their comments into a single dialogue provided by aninsightful, forthcoming character named Finch.

A few tips about the way Finch thinks. He is more likely to be critical of someone who will be drafted very high, because it is his job to look for flaws. (AndFinch is very good at his job.) Conversely, Finch tends to speak glowingly about players he thinks will be drafted late, because he likes to spy diamonds inthe rough. Finch's opinion changes frequently, depending on what a player did the last time Finch saw him play. Finch has very strong opinions, and whilehe has been wrong in the past he can't remember exactly when. But I always love listening to Finch because he sees a lot more games in person than I do, heknows a lot more about basketball than I do, and loves to dish the latest gossip on what is happening in our sport.

Here, then, is what Finch had to say about 40 of the top college players in the country. And if you happen to run into Boo Radley, please tell him Finch sayshello.

A.J. Abrams, 5-11 senior guard, Texas: "He's OK, but he's a ******. He's a great shooter, but it's going to be hard for him to defendpoint guards in our league."

Jeff Adrien, 6-7 senior forward, UConn: "Someone will take a chance on him. He doesn't fit any box. He's not quite like Ryan Gomes, but he'sgoing to be undervalued. He's so tough, and he's going to guard threes and fours. I saw him at LeBron's camp one year, and he was the only one whowanted to guard LeBron. He's one of those tweeners like Renaldo Balkman and Craig Smith who have found a role."

DeJuan Blair, 6-7 sophomore forward, Pittsburgh: "He'll be a great rebounder in the NBA. He can also really pass, which just punishes a defense.He's going to be able to finish plays other people set up. Guys are going to block his shot, but he's used to that. He's a stud, leave it atthat."

Craig Brackins, 6-10 sophomore forward, Iowa State: "He's eventually going to be a pro, but I don't think he's ready physically right now. Hehas good agility, and he has a small forward's game in a big forward's body. He's not clumsy like a lot of big guys, but when he makes moves offthe dribble, he does it with grace and finesse as opposed to strength."

Michael Bramos, 6-5 senior swingman, Miami (Ohio): "He's going to make money playing basketball, but I'll be shocked if someone drafts him. Hecan't create at all on his own. He's a good athlete for a 6-5 white kid, but he's not a special athlete and he's not a special shooter."

Derrick Brown, 6-8 junior forward, Xavier: "I really like him. He has refined moves, and he's a pure three. He's going to be able to guard twos,threes and fours. He's really a very good defensive player. I think he could be late lottery."

Chase Budinger, 6-7 junior forward, Arizona: "I'm not as big a fan as other people are. Everyone says he doesn't love the game. He's a goodshooter, but he's not at a Kyle Korver-Ray Allen level. He's talented, but he's a little soft."

William Buford, 6-5 freshman guard, Ohio State: "He makes the game really easy on the offensive end, but he doesn't have a clue how to play defense.He's got a refined game, can pull up on one dribble, he's getting better at getting to the rim. He'll be good down the road, but I would tell himdefinitely don't come out."

Dionte Christmas, 6-5 senior guard, Temple: "He's a great athlete, but he has no clue how to play. If you don't let him catch and shoot and makehim put it down, he has a problem. Someone will take him 15 to 30 based on him being a 6-6, fairly athletic kid who can stroke it, but my question is, will hebe Mark Macon, who was a bust, or will he be Eddie Jones?"

Darren Collison, 6-foot senior guard, UCLA: "I don't love him but I like him. He's a rotation guard in the NBA. His shot has improved, plushe'll guard the ball. The kids out of UCLA will defend because it's mandated by Ben Howland."

Earl Clark, 6-9 junior forward, Louisville: "He's been disappointing. He has all the skills and a great body, but at the end of the day he's soft.He has small hands, which will prohibit him from being good around the basket at the next level. He's the same size as Jeff Green, but Jeff Green had greathands and wasn't soft. He can't really get his shot off unless he's wide open. Someone will take him high because they think he'll be anall-star in three of four years, but I don't think that's going to happen."

Stephen Curry, 6-3 junior guard, Davidson: "I'm a huge fan. People worry about his body, but that comes with maturation. He's not a great athlete,but he has really quick feet and has all kinds of creative stuff to get himself shots. There's no reason he can't be a Steve Nash-Jason Kidd type ofplayer. The kid can really pass."

Austin Daye, 6-11 sophomore forward, Gonzaga: "This kid will get you fired. Soft? He invented soft. Jeff Adrien cold cocked him when they played UConn,and he spent the rest of the game behind the three-point line. I'm not denying he has a high skill level, but you better surround him with a lot ofbullies."

DeMar DeRozan, 6-7 freshman forward, USC: "I'd like to see him go back to school, but if he comes out he'll be a lottery pick. You look at theone-and-done guys who were highly touted, they usually do well eventually. Look at Daequan Cook. The half-court system DeMar is in now isn't the bestsystem for him, but in some ways it's good for him because he's learning. Obviously, he's not the player O.J. Mayo was, but it appears thathe's bought in and is trying to run the half-court system the way they want. He's going to have to be a pullup dribble shooter in our league, and hedoesn't have that yet. But remember, he's only 19. He's done nothing to turn me off."

Tyreke Evans, 6-6 freshman guard, Memphis: "He doesn't make enough shots for me, but we always draft on potential because that's who we are. Itdoesn't matter if I think he should come out, he's coming out. If he can really prove he can play point guard, people will look at him in a betterlight, because as a two guard he can't shoot very well."

Blake Griffin, 6-10 sophomore forward, Oklahoma: "The only downside to him is he's not 6-10. He's probably 6-8. He's not going to be able tobully guys like he does in college, but he's a great athlete who can get out in transition and dunk. He's a more athletic version of Karl Malone."

Tyler Hansbrough, 6-9 senior forward, North Carolina: "Everyone has to be all over the map on him. I've been one of those guys who's been sayingall along, 'How's he going to do that in the NBA?' Now I'm convinced he's going to do that in the NBA. He's not going to get thatshoulder shot in our league, and he's not going to get the calls he's getting now. So the first couple of games he'll get his butt kicked, buteventually he's going to figure it out. He'll get in the gym and take 500 shots a day so he can become a pick-and-pop guy. I don't know if he'sin the lottery, but he's definitely a first-rounder."

Luke Harangody, 6-8 junior forward, Notre Dame: "I love him. Have you watched him step outside and stick jump shots? He plays in supposedly the toughestconference in the country, and he had 14 games where he had at least 20 points. He doesn't have the same range as Kevin Love, but other than that they havevery similar games. He's going to look awful athletic at times, but he has so many shots in his bag. He has those little weird fadeaways, a one-dribblestepback. Even if he's just a scorer off the bench, he's going to find a spot in this league for seven or eight years. Why can't he be MattBonner?"

James Harden, 6-5 sophomore, Arizona State: "I like Harden a lot, but he's a little short for me. Don't tell me he's 6-5, no way. He's aPaul Pierce type of guy, but Paul Pierce is 6-7. He's not a great shooter, but he's a scorer. Great players figure it out. I like him, but if I weredrafting in the four to seven range and the team before me took him, I wouldn't be upset."

Gerald Henderson, 6-4 junior guard, Duke: "He's finally become the player we all hoped he would. He's more than just a superior athlete, he'smaking some shots. He's never going to be Ray Allen, but he's attacking the basket and finishing. I don't know if I completely trust it yet, buthe's obviously an NBA player athletically. If he comes out, he'll sneak into the late lottery because he has so much upside."

Jordan Hill, 6-10 junior forward, Arizona: "He's an athlete, he's a monster, he's got big hands, he tries to dunk everything. He's goingto be in the lottery."

Jrue Holiday, 6-3 freshman guard, UCLA: "I don't think he has had a great year, mostly because he's trying to play in a system with other veteranplayers, but there's a lot to like about him. Long arms, great feel for the game, can defend two positions, good passer. He can truly, truly play with bothhands. He's got a quiet confidence about him. People are getting on Jrue for not having special numbers, but Russell Westbrook's numbers weren'tspecial, either. Watch the games, look at all the things Jrue does on the floor, and you can see he has a chance to be really good."

Damion James, 6-7 junior forward, Texas: "I'm not a huge Damion James guy. He's 6-7 and he's got to be a three, but I just don't see theskill level there. Can he play in the league? Yeah, but you look at some of these mock drafts and his name is in the middle of the first round. I don't seethat."

James Johnson, 6-9 sophomore forward, Wake Forest: "I love him, but I don't know if he plays hard every night. He's a sneaky athlete. He has thatbig body, a good mind, a great passer who can put it on the floor, step out and shoot it. He's physical enough that he can pound it inside if he wantsto."

Ty Lawson, 5-11 junior guard, North Carolina: "He can definitely play in the league, but his size is a question. There are very few ****** point guardsthat can really get it done in the NBA. I don't think he can shoot it as well as Jameer Nelson. If he gets on a team that plays up-tempo he'll lookreally good, but none of Roy Williams' point guards learn how to play at different paces because he has them playing so fast, they never learn how tonegotiate the game. I'd say Lawson is between Raymond Felton and Jacque Vaughn. I've never been crazy about his leadership skills."

Eric Maynor, 6-2 senior guard, VCU: "He has great savvy. If you look at the last three minutes of a game, what this guy does is incredible. He'sdifferent than Curry, because Curry is a combo guard and this kid is a straight point. I think he'll get drafted in the second round, but I don'texpect to see him in the league in five years. He does a lot of things well, but he's too small and he's not dynamic enough."

Jodie Meeks, 6-4 junior guard, Kentucky: "He's really played himself into the discussion. He's a sick athlete, and he's obviously a greatshooter with size. I don't know if he's definitely a first-rounder, but he's on the board."

Greg Monroe, 6-11 freshman center, Georgetown: "Oh, he's my favorite. For me, it's him or Griffin as the top picks from college. His upside is offthe charts, and he's probably the most cerebral player in the draft."

Raymar Morgan, 6-8 junior forward, Michigan State: "He doesn't play hard enough for me. I don't know if they would admit it, but they coach himdifferently than they've coached other guys. He has a three body, but he's not a high-level rebounder, and he can't shoot a college three. So wheredoes he play for us?"

B.J. Mullens, 7-foot freshman center, Ohio State: "Potential, potential, potential. I don't know why Thad Matta is not starting him. I'm suresomebody else would have given him a scholarship and let him play 34 minutes a game. If you don't want a guy to be one and done, then don't recruithim. He's a no brainer, probably a top five or six pick. He'll come in and get his butt kicked for a couple of years, but he's really skilled. Hedoesn't rebound well for someone his size, but he's a good bet long-term."

Kyle Singler, 6-8 sophomore forward, Duke: "He's an NBA player. What doesn't he do? He's versatile, he can really pass and he's tough asheck. He's not a great shooter, but he's a better rebounder and passer than he is a shooter. He's got a little more nastiness in him than peoplethink. I've watched him guard players who are 6-4, 6-5, and I've watched him guard guys who are 6-9 and 6-10."

Dajuan Summers, 6-8 junior forward, Georgetown: "I loved him as a freshman, but I can't understand what has happened to him. He's playingtentative, with no confidence, and he's not showing his athleticism. His shot used to be decent, but now it looks ugly. It's an enigma to me, because Ialways liked that kid."

Jeff Teague, 6-2 sophomore guard, Wake Forest: "I'm a huge Teague guy. I would take him ahead of James Harden. He can make shots and he can pass, sohe's not a one position player. Multifaceted guys get on the court more. He reminds me of Monta Ellis in that he's a little underrated in terms of hisability to set people up, but he's not a pure run-the-show point guard either."

Hasheem Thabeet, 7-3 junior center, UConn: "Of course I love his size, the way he runs, how hard he plays, the way he blocks shots, but I just can'tget excited about a guy who's never going to be able to put the ball in the basket. In the NBA, they exploit your weaknesses. He won't be able to scoreagainst a 6-10, 6-11 NBA center. He can catch and score when he's open, but I don't really see much improvement in his post skills. He'll be aMutombo type player who will probably be drafted in the top five, but he's not a star in our league."

Howard Thompkins, 6-8 freshman forward, Georgia: "He has a chance to be really good. He's kind of thick, about 6-7, has a really good feel for thegame, can step out and shoot. He was a pretty hyped recruit, but they've been so bad it hasn't really translated."

Evan Turner, 6-7 sophomore guard, Ohio State: "He's impressive. If he was a better shooter he'd be a lottery pick. At 6-6, he's their bestballhandler, their best passer, their best creator. They run their whole offense through him. At his size, he can do a lot of things with the ball. Iwouldn't think he'd be in the lottery, but he should be a first-round pick."

Jarvis Varnardo, 6-9 junior center, Mississippi State: "I'm not a huge fan. He still gets killed inside. He's great on the weak side, but hecan't guard on the ball because he gets pushed around too much. Somebody will probably take him in the second round, but he reminds me of Solomon Jones,the kid from South Florida who's not with the Atlanta Hawks. Solomon hasn't done anything to prove he's an NBA player, and his contract is gettingready to end."

Terrence Williams, 6-6 senior forward, Louisville: "I tell you what, he's made himself some money because his first three years he was terrible.He'll never be a great shooter, but he'll make enough. His assists are up, his turnovers are down, his rebounding is off the charts, and he can guardfour positions."

Chris Wright, 6-8 sophomore forward, Dayton: "He's far from ready for the NBA, but he's a great athlete. I call him a poor man's GeraldWallace. Wallace had no idea how to put the ball in the basket until he came into the NBA, but this kid has that kind of potential."

Sam Young, 6-6 senior forward, Pittsburgh: "He'll go in the first round because he's blue collar. He's like Greg Buckner. He's not aplaymaker and he's an average shooter, but he's going to will his way into games."

Craftsy, I roll with Cuse.

The orange-colored sig is my small nod to the team.
laugh.gif

Works for the Mets too.

And sorry JRS, no way Jimmy gets fired anytime soon. If ever.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Craftsy, I roll with Cuse.

The orange-colored sig is my small nod to the team.
laugh.gif

Works for the Mets too.

And sorry JRS, no way Jimmy gets fired anytime soon. If ever.
ahh, i knew that man... my bad. I was just sitting here looking at your name like "this dude is a regular cbb poster and i can'tremember his team for the life of me". It was buggin me, but i definitely remember you being with cuse now that you say it.

PSU already has 30 at the half tonight
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom