The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Sounds like Kemba played great.

Austrie, Price, and Walker.

Tough backcourt.

I'm not sold on Austrie getting a whole lot of burn this year, when Stanley is back, the three guard rotation will cut down and I cant see any reason whyCalhoun would keep Dyson and Walker off the court at times.

I think I said this before, but I can see multiple games where Thabeet just takes over on both sides to get wins.

[h3]Harlem's Sapp does it all for Georgetown Hoyas[/h3]
SappJessie.jpg

Jessie Sapp has started 70 consecutive games for the Georgetown men's basketball team. Photo by Mitchell Layton/Georgetown Sports Information
By Dylan Butler November 5, 2008What is it exactly that Jessie Sapp does for the Georgetown men's basketball team? Everything, according to Pittsburgh's Levance Fields.

"He gets you two steals, five assists, five rebounds, 13 points, a couple of charges, a couple of assists that lead to assists," the Panthers'senior point guard said. "I guess that goes unnoticed to some people."

Fields would know. The former Xaverian HS standout is close friends with Sapp, who grew up in Harlem and played at Manhattan Center before transferring toNational Christian in Maryland.

"I think he's underrated in this league," Fields said. "He never gets the credit he deserves, but that's the good thing about him - hedoesn't worry about it."

Sapp has other concerns this year. He is the Hoyas' only senior on scholarship this season and will be asked to fill some of the scoring void left bygraduates Roy Hibbert, Jonathan Wallace, Patrick Ewing Jr. and Tyler Crawford.

"I've been a leader on this team for years now and I learned from those guys before me and whatever they told me I'm looking to pass down to thoseguys coming in now, telling them to relax and just play basketball," Sapp said of a team almost exclusively comprised of sophomores and freshmen.

Knowing he would shoulder more of the offensive responsibility this year is why the 6-foot-3 hard-nosed guard said he worked extra hard this summer.

"I worked on everything," he said. "I didn't leave anything out. I looked at everything as a weakness and look to improve on it."

Sapp is one of just two upper classmen on a Georgetown team that won a second consecutive Big East regular-season title, but was upset by Davidson in thesecond round of the NCAA tournament a year ago. The other is junior forward DaJuan Summers.

"He's always working hard, making that extra pass, he's very savvy as a New York guard is," Summers said of Sapp. "He's just so manythings. I love playing with Jessie. He's one of the best guards I've had the luxury of playing with."

In his career at Georgetown, which was picked to finish seventh in the Big East in a preseason poll of conference coaches, Sapp has played in 104 games and hasstarted 70 straight, averaging 7.3 points and 3.4 rebounds per game while shooting 42.7 percent from the field.

"Jessie Sapp, more so than anyone on this team, has an understanding of what his coach wants," Georgetown coach John Thompson III said. "He hasthe understanding and sees things in a similar manner that I do, knowing two, three passes down the line what's going to be open."

When the All-Big East selections were announced last month, Sapp's name wasn't on the list. Instead Notre Dame's Kyle McAlerney, Jonny Flynn fromSyracuse, A.J. Price from UConn, Cincinnati's Deonta Vaughn and Scottie Reynolds from Villanova were on the preseason All-Big East team, while DominicJames of Marquette was named to the Big East honorable mention list.

But come Nov. 17 when Georgetown opens up against Jacksonville, Sapp will be a major contributor for the Hoyas and he'll get his recognition on a nightlybasis.

"All the big plays that needed to be made for Georgetown last season he made," said McAlerney, a senior from Staten Island who played against Sappfor years on the AAU circuit. "He's a tough player. He defends, he rebounds and he's going to get his points and he's going to try and win.Georgetown is lucky to have him."

Gilchrist Eligible

When I sat down with South Florida coach Stan Heath at Big East media day, he was optimistic about his perimeter play with the trio of Dominique Jones, JesusVerdejo and Mike Mercer.

The frontcourt was a complete question mark.

Now one of those questions has been answered after Heath got the word that freshman forward Gus Gilchrist received a waiver and will be eligible on Dec. 14against Niagara.

The 6-foot-10 Gilchrist transferred from Maryland this past summer.

``Right away, he'll be an impact player for us," Heath told FOXSports.com on Wednesday afternoon. ``He's versatile, can shoot the three and alsogo inside. He can really run the floor and also has post moves."

Interim Arizona coach Russ Pennell doesn't need to deliver any kind of Knute Rockne speech to a group of players that has gone through a roller-coasterover the last year or so.

``I think the kids know people aren't expecting much of them and it'll serve them well on the motivational side," Pennell said. "But Idon't think I need to give them a "Win One For the Gipper" speech or anything like that. We've got a great opportunity and most peopledon't think we can do it."

He's right. Nearly everyone looks at this year's Arizona team as a train wreck waiting to happen.

Pennell may not have been the most qualified guy to take over after Lute Olson retired, but people seem to forget that he does have extensive D-1 experience asan assistant coach. He spent six years with Rob Evans at Ole Miss and then eight years at Arizona State under Evans. He also worked under Eddie Sutton atOklahoma State from 1990-92.

Pennell, who has a thin team that includes three key guys in Chase Budinger, Jordan Hill and Nic Wise and not much else, said his philosophy both on and offthe court is somewhere in the middle of Olson and last year's interim, fiery Kevin O'Neill.

``I like hard-nosed defense that Kevin preached and while I won't play quite as wide-open as Lute, I certainly want us to run and get up and down thefloor," he said. "But if we don't have something in transition, I want us to get a good, quality shot."

Pennell said thus far, the players have bought in.

``They have been unbelievable with their attitude," he said. "I think it's helped with the way I like to play. I'm running a motion offenseand the guys that were here two years ago as freshmen liked to play."

Pennell said he's also working a lot out of a 1-4 set, which Olson was notorious for running.

Talented freshman big man Jeff Withey has asked for a transfer, but Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood hasn't granted it to him.

``It was a little bit of a shock," Pennell said of Withey's initial request.

Especially since Withey would likely get at least 20 minutes per game as a freshman. Now redshirt freshman 7-footer Alex Jacobson, who is in over his head inthe Pac-10, will be forced to play minutes behind Hill.

Pennell said he'll likely start Budinger at shooting guard and will even have his top player handle the ball some when Wise is on the bench. Expect JamelleHorne to start at small forward and senior Fendi Onobun, who hasn't played much in his three-year career, to start at power forward. That will get theWildcats five best players on the court at the same time.

The key for the Wildcats will be trying to get something out of a bench that doesn't have much experience. Zane Johnson, a sophomore wing, is legitimatelythe only reserve who has seen any game action.

Late pickup Garland Judkins is expected to backup Wise at the point, but Pennell said the surprise of the group has been another spring addition, 6-foot-2freshman Kyle Fogg. The Wildcats also have 6-foot-3 freshman guard Brendon Lavender.

EXHIBITION ROUNDUP

Kyle Singler scored 22 points and backup big man Brian Zoubek added 15 in Duke's 95-42 rout over Lenoir-Rhyne on Wednesday night. Nolan Smith added 14points in the win over Lenoir-Rhyne (where Rick Barnes went to school).

Michigan State sophomore wing Durrell Summers erupted for 30 points in 16 minutes in a 118-58 rout over Division II Northern Michigan. Remember, MichiganState lost to Grand Rapids a year ago in an exhibition contest. Raymor Morgan added 19, Kalin Lucas had 16 and Chris Allen chipped in 13 points.

Hasheem Thabeet made all nine of his field goals and finished with 21 points in UConn's 83-58 win against American International.Thabeet also had 10 boards and blocked six shots while reserve big man Gavin Edwards added 15 points and seven rebounds. Freshman Kemba Walker had 10 points,eight boards and four assists without a single turnover.

The Travis Ford Era began at Oklahoma State and Terrell Harris led the Cowboys with 32 points, 10 rebounds and seven steals in a 112-75 win against RogersState. Byron Eaton finished with 13 points and seven assists while Obi Muonelo added 12 points and seven rebounds.

Blake Griffin was 10-for-10 from the field and had 22 points, 11 rebounds, five assists and three blocks in 28 minutes as Oklahoma pounded Panhandle State,90-43. Freshman Willie Warren scored 15 points, but only had one assist and four turnovers in 23 minutes.

Chris Lowe (21), Ricky Harris (20) and Anthony Gurley (17) gave UMass fans a glimpse of the perimeter trio and also Derek Kellogg's new dribble-driveoffense in a 91-87 win over Dowling.

Mike Jarvis returned to the bench in his debut as the head coach at Florida Atlantic. The Owls got 18 points from Xavier Perkins in front of 1,292 fans (morethan any regular-season crowd from a year ago) as FAU knocked off Lynn University, 73-69.

YOUNG QUAKERS

Penn coach Glen Miller doesn't put much stock into the fact that top-ranked North Carolina may be without two starters - Tyler Hansbrough and MarcusGinyard - for the team's season-opener a week from Saturday in Chapel Hill.

``We played at North Carolina two years ago and were up 18-9," Miller said. "Coach (Roy) Williams ripped all five starters from the game and put inhis second unit. They went on a 10-0 run. Those guys have McDonald's All-Americans on the bench."

Miller's Quakers are picked second in the Ivy behind Cornell and will rely heavily on freshmen and sophomores.

Leading scorer Brian Grandieri (13.2 ppg) is gone, but the core of the team is built around sophomores Tyler Bernardini, Jack Eggleston and Harrison Gaines andfreshman guard Zach Rosen. The three sophomores started a combined 64 games last season.

``Our younger guys are the ones who have earned playing time at this point," Miller said. ``We started a lot of young guys last year and they learned fromit and came back better players."

Miller said that Bernardini has improved off the dribble, Eggleston has come back stronger and Gaines, who ran the team last season, has come back with a moreeffective perimeter shot which will allow him to play some shooting guard - alongside Rosen.

``He's shown he should be starting at this point," Miller said of Rosen. ``He's not playing like a freshman. He makes everyone else better and hemight be the best leader on the team as a freshman."

Junior guard Darrin Smith remains out with a knee injury and Miller is uncertain when he's return.

``It could be a month or six weeks," he said. "I'm really not sure."

If someone like Smith were out in Miller's first two years at Penn, it would be cause for concern. However, the Quakers have quality depth in this,Miller's third season heading up the program.

``We have inter-changeable parts," he said. "We can go with a lot of different combinations. We've gone out and improved our toughness and alsoour basketball IQ. I like this team because it's more enthusiastic and passionate than last year's team."

RANDOM NOTES: Scout.com broke the news that talented Mount Zion (N.C.) forward Karron Johnson committed to Oklahoma State. … Saint Louis coachRick Majerus has promoted Porter Moser to associate head coach.

Like that UofA lineup...Onobun needed minutes last year.
+$@$, even a bottom BE team is gona be able to run out talent with Dom Jones,Mike Mercer and now Gilchrist and have Stan Heath
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Travis Ford
pimp.gif

Jai Lucas isn't leaving Florida angry.

In fact, he's not even leaving Florida just yet.

"I'm going to stay here and finish the semester," Lucas told CBSSports.com by phone on Wednesday. "After that I'll make a decision (onwhere I'm going to transfer). I've got time."

Lucas didn't get specific about his reasons for the abrupt decision that came barely a week before Florida's opener, but he hinted that what I wrote earlier today was accurate. Bottom line, Lucas wants/needs to play point guard at thislevel, and it was going to be hard for him to be the Gators' primary point guard with Nick Calathes and Erving Walker on the roster.

Plus, there's a chance Class of 2010 star Brandon Knight could enroll before Lucas' senior year. And though it might be crazy to look that far ahead,when you connect all the pieces of the possible puzzle what you have is a picture of a situation that might never be perfectly suited for Lucas to be thestarting point guard.

So he'll transfer to a still-to-be-determined location.

"I wanted something I wasn't sure I'd be able to get here," Lucas said. "It's just something I felt I needed to do."

Parrish

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The power in the SEC should be in the East.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Why?[/font]

[table][tr][td]
SEC.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Quick facts[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Defending regular-season champion:
Tennessee[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Defending tournament champion:
Georgia[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Top returning scorer:
Marcus Thornton (LSU), 19.6 ppg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Top returning rebounder:
Jarvis Varnado (Mississippi State), 7.8 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Because the best teams on that side were able to keep their leading returning scorer from leaving school early.Tennessee still has Tyler Smith, Nick Calathes is back for Florida, Kentucky returns Patrick Patterson and Vanderbilt has A.J. Ogilvy.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]In the West, Alabama is adjusting to life without Richard Hendrix (left after his junior season), LSU is withoutAnthony Randolph (left after his freshman season), Mississippi State will go minus Jamont Gordon (left after his junior season) and Arkansas sans PatrickBeverley (suspended after his sophomore season, which prompted him to leave school).[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]So what's the lesson?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Keeping your best players makes things easier.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]And losing them makes things harder.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica](This stuff isn't brain surgery, you know?)[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Anyway, here's a look at the SEC:[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]SEC East[/font][/h4][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]1. Tennessee[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: Bruce Pearl made huge strides in the spring by gaining commitments from Scotty Hopson,Bobby Maze and Emmanuel Negedu. Add that to the fact that Smith stayed around and Wayne Chism and J.P. Prince are a year older and stronger, and it's clearthe Vols have the best roster in the SEC, which is why they're the pick to win the East and the league as a whole.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: Regardless of your thoughts on Ramar Smith and Duke Crews as players and people, losingthem in the same year as Chris Lofton and JaJuan Smith indicates a major overhaul of the UT roster. Again, the additions of Maze, Hopson and Negedu (andRenaldo Woolridge) could be enough to offset the losses. But those picking somebody besides Tennessee to win the SEC point to this as the reason, and it'sa legitimate concern and reasonable point of view.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: A remarkable stat is that Pearl has won at least 20 games in 15 of 16 seasons as aDivision I or Division II head coach, and that streak will almost certainly be extended. If you believe Maze will be at least as good as Smith was (which heshould be) and that Hopson will perform like a McDonald's All-American (which he should), then you can surmise that -- as long as Smith, Chism and Prince(when he's healthy) are what they've been -- the Vols will have a good shot to advance past the Sweet 16 for the first time in schoolhistory.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]2. Florida[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: Calathes rejected the temptation of the NBA and then an offer to play professionally inGreece to return to Florida and try to return the Gators to the NCAA tournament. The sophomore guard led the Gators by averaging 15.3 points, 6.1 assists and5.2 rebounds last season, and he'll be joined this season by six of the other top eight scorers from a 24-win team, plus a top 10 recruitingclass.[/font]

[table][tr][td]Predicted Finish[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
EAST​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team[/td] [td]Postseason[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1. Tennessee[/td] [td]NCAA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2. Florida[/td] [td]NCAA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3. Kentucky[/td] [td]NCAA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4. Vanderbilt[/td] [td]NIT/CBI[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5. South Carolina[/td] [td]none[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6. Georgia[/td] [td]none[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
WEST​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team[/td] [td]Postseason[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1. LSU[/td] [td]NCAA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2. Alabama[/td] [td]NCAA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3. Ole Miss[/td] [td]NCAA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4. Auburn[/td] [td]NIT/CBI[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5. Mississippi State[/td] [td]none[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6. Arkansas[/td] [td]none[/td] [/tr][/table]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: The loss of Marreese Speights leaves a large hole in the middle, and there's no obvioussingle replacement. Sophomore Alex Tyus got the start in the Gators' first exhibition and notched 16 points and 14 rebounds, but it's likely thatFlorida will use some sort of center-by-committee rotation where the hope is to get 15 points and 10 rebounds a game from a combination of Tyus and freshmenKenny Kadji and Eloy Vargas (assuming the latter ever gets healthy). Also, Wednesday's news that Jai Lucas is transferring isn't a positive. Itwon't be a hit in the long-term, not with what Billy Donovan has coming in next year and the year after. But in the short-term it could have aneffect.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: Florida is not an NIT program and it's hard to imagine the Gators ending upthere again. Last year was tough because of the losses and transition, but Donovan has the roster to compete for an SEC title even if he's probably oneplayer away from competing for another Final Four.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]3. Kentucky[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: That "one player" Florida is missing could be called Patrick Patterson, UK'sstar who strongly considered the Gators before signing with Kentucky. The 6-8 forward averaged 16.4 points and 7.7 rebounds in 25 games last season and is nowhealed after a stress fracture ended his freshman campaign prematurely. Patterson is joined by veteran Jodie Meeks and a top 25 recruiting class highlighted byDeAndre Liggins.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: I'll just ask: Is this season's UK roster better than last season's? That'sthe question I most often present to Kentucky fans who are sure they have a Top 25 (and one) team, whether it's correct to conclude that a teamminus Joe Crawford (17.9 points per game), Ramel Bradley (15.9 ppg) and Derrick Jasper (4.2 ppg) is really better equipped to compete for an SEC title. Myguess is that it's not, but that such could be offset by the fact that Billy Gillispie won't again have to spend November and December whipping hisplayers into shape (and around to his way of thinking).[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: Like I said, I do believe this UK team will be better than Gillispie's first ifonly because Gillispie's first got off to such a horrendous start. Still, the roster doesn't necessarily guarantee success. But with a healthyPatterson and improved Meeks the Wildcats should make the NCAA tournament and continue building while awaiting the arrival of a pair of Class of 2009 eliterecruits, namely Jon Hood and Daniel Orton.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]4. Vanderbilt[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: Ogilvy was one of the nation's great freshmen who did not turn pro. The 6-11 centeraveraged 17.0 points and 6.7 rebounds last season and should be the primary option this season now that Shan Foster is playing professionallyoverseas.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: The loss of Foster is huge. He averaged 20.3 points last season and became the school'sall-time leading scorer. Also gone are Alex Gordon and Ross Neltner, so there's another 19.1 points per game that must come from some other source orsources.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: The Commodores lost too much at the same time to not slip, but Kevin Stallings hasbeen pretty consistent and will make Vandy competitive, even if the Nashville-based school isn't quite as successful.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]5. South Carolina[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: Darrin Horn inherited an experienced roster, even if it isn't all that experienced inwinning. The Gamecocks have gone 9-23 in the SEC the past two seasons, but that should change with some new energy at the top and three double-digit scorersled by all-league guard Devan Downey.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: Again, these players might be experienced but they have mostly lost. If Horn can change theculture, he could do better than fifth in the SEC East. But it'll be a hard culture to change in his first season.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: The Gamecocks haven't won an NCAA tournament game since 1973. That'sprobably not changing this season. They haven't made the NCAA tournament since 2004. That's probably not changing either.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]6. Georgia[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: Dennis Felton saved his job with that improbable run through the SEC tournament. From thatteam returns Terrance Woodbury, a 6-7 wing who averaged 11 points last season, but 15.8 in the SEC tournament.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: Another off-the-court incident cost the Bulldogs their leading returning scorer when BillyHumphrey was dismissed. That's 12.2 points per game missing and a loss the Bulldogs really couldn't afford.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: Once you get past that wild week last March the reality is that Georgia wasterrible. And now the roster is worse. So it's not easy to envision a scenario where the Bulldogs ride momentum and have a great season, and if things goas poorly as they seem they might, then it's possible Felton could be moved following his sixth season.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]SEC West[/font][/h4][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]1. LSU[/font][/h4][table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
img11056498.jpg
dantheman4250: Last season the SEC was loaded with potential. Bruce Pearl's Tennessee squad was loaded with offensive firepower, and was one of the nation's best teams all season long. In Lexington, Billie Gellespie's Kentucky Wildcats struggled out of the gate but rebounded in time to make the NCAA Tournament. Vanderbilt was a force again in the SEC East, and Georgia made a miracle run to win the SEC Tournament and steal a bid. Out west the fight was on all season, but there was not really a bright spot. The conference was far from the back-to-back championships that Florida provided the previous two seasons, but overall, it was still pretty strong from top to bottom.

This season the SEC hopes to continue its streak of excellence, and once again find a way to get five or six teams into the Big Dance. There's no letdown of talent in the SEC, either. Nick Calathes, Patrick Patterson, Tyler Smith, Marcus Thorton, and Ronald Steele are among the most talented guys in the conference. All five have the same goal... to take their team to the NCAA Tournament to see how far they can go in March. With a few breaks, and a little bit of luck, one team might win the SEC's third national title in four seasons. Let's break down the SEC divisions: Read more[/td] [/tr][/table]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: Tasmin Mitchell's return gives new coach Trent Johnson an established scorer to playbeside Marcus Thornton. Those two should easily combine for 30-plus points per game. Garrett Temple and Chris Johnson are also back, meaning five of the topsix scorers from last season are on campus and hoping for a return to the NCAA tournament for the first time since a trip to the 2006 Final Four.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: The one elite player not back was the most elite, specifically Randolph. The lottery pickaveraged 15.6 points and 8.5 rebounds in one year of college. Also worth noting is that LSU's top recruit, J'Mison Morgan, asked for a release, got itand enrolled at UCLA. In other words, UCLA has a freshman center ready to make an impact; LSU does not.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: Predicting the Tigers to win the West is putting a lot of trust in Johnson'sability. Basically, what I'm saying is that he'll take a bunch of guys who lost a bunch last season and make them win (without their best player). Soin that respect, this sounds crazy. But that's how much LSU underachieved last season.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]2. Alabama[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: Ron Steele is finally healthy (fingers crossed). After limping through the 2006-07 seasonand missing all of 2007-08, the former All-American should be capable of leading the Crimson Tide back to the NCAA tournament. He'll be aided by veteranAlonzo Gee and freshman JaMychal Green, the latter of whom is a McDonald's All-American capable of helping offset the loss of Hendrix.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: Hendrix's decision to enter the NBA Draft early cost Alabama a preseason Top 25(and one) ranking and more. In fact, with Hendrix the Crimson Tide might've been the pick to win the entire SEC. But without him there's aquestion mark surrounding this team and a worry that his 17.8 points and 10.1 rebounds per game will be missed and impossible to make up elsewhere.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: The consensus in basketball circles is that this is a make-or-break season for MarkGottfried, who hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 2006 or the Sweet 16 since 2004. The good news is that Gottfried has the roster to win big and createa contract extension, and that's actually what I think he'll do.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]3. Ole Miss[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: The Rebels are set in the backcourt with Chris Warren, David Huertas and Eniel Polynice.That's a talented trio that averaged 37.2 points last season and should be capable of helping the Rebels compete for the SEC West title thisseason.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: One of the things Ole Miss had going for it last season was that it was big and strong andexperienced in the frontcourt. Now, not so much. That's the result of the losses of Kenny Williams, Jeremy Parnell and Dwayne Curtis. So while the incomingclass is talented -- specifically Terrance Henry -- it could be hard to overcome the absence of those veteran big men.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: Ole Miss has overachieved in both years under Andy Kennedy and was closer (at leastaccording to the raw data) to making the NCAA tournament last season than most realized. Now it's probably time to breakthrough, which is why an NCAAtournament bid is expected.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]4. Auburn[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: Korvotney Barber is back after missing all but 10 games last season with a broken hand.That means the Tigers will again have a McDonald's All-American on the court, and things tend to go better when such is the case.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: In a perfect world Auburn would've also welcomed back Josh Dollard, its leading scorerfrom the 2006-07 season. But he was dismissed this summer for a violation of the school's athletic policy, becoming the next in a long line of Tigers toleave the program under Jeff Lebo in a way that wasn't initially planned.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: Lebo is under pressure to win because he's averaged just 4.8 SEC victoriesthrough four years on the job. Some of that can be attributed to bad luck because of injuries. But considering this is a results-driven business, the Tigersmust push for a postseason bid to ensure their coach is safe.[/font]

[table][tr][td]Accolades[/td] [/tr][tr][td]First team[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G - Devan Downey, South Carolina[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G - Nick Calathes, Florida[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F - Tyler Smith, Tennessee[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F - Patrick Patterson, Kentucky[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C - A.J. Ogilvy, Vanderbilt[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Second team[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G - Chris Warren, Ole Miss[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G - Marcus Thornton, LSU[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G - Scotty Hopson, Tennessee[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F - JaMychal Green, Alabama[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F - Jarvis Varnado, Mississippi State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Player of the year
Tyler Smith, Tennessee[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Newcomer of the year
Scotty Hopson, Tennessee[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Breakthrough player
Jodie Meeks, Kentucky[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach on the hot seat
Dennis Felton, Georgia[/td] [/tr][/table]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]5. Mississippi State[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: Jarvis Varnado is a shot-blocking center and exciting defensive presence. Hanging out inthe paint, he can cover for a lot of mistakes. Barry Stewart is also back after averaging 11.5 points for a 23-win team.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: Jamont Gordon was in such a hurry to leave college he didn't care that he wasn't adraftable prospect. Thus, he went undrafted and left Rick Stansbury trying to figure out how to replace three double-digit scorers -- Gordon, Charles Rhodes(exhausted eligibility) and Ben Hansbrough (transferred to Notre Dame).[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: Stansbury seems to always have good talent, but this is a down year by hisstandards. Given the roster, it's hard to imagine the Bulldogs being a factor in the West.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]6. Arkansas[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]The good: John Pelphrey signed a top 15 recruiting class led by Courtney Fortson, Jason Henry andRotnei Clarke. Of the returning players, Michael Washington is probably best equipped to handle an increased role. He got 22 points and seven rebounds in theHogs' first exhibition and, assuming his minutes go from the 13.4 he averaged last season to 25 or so, the junior big man could be an all-leaguethreat.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bad: All five starters from last season's 23-win team are gone, and it wasn't supposedto be this way. Sure, this was always going to be a rebuilding year at Arkansas. But Beverley's suspension (that led to his departure) late this summerensured Pelphrey's second season in the SEC will be difficult.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The bottom line: It's hard to lose five starters in one offseason from a great team and still begood, as Florida proved last season. So that Arkansas lost all five from a not-great-but-pretty-good team doesn't bode well for the Hogs, who won't besuccessful again until at least 2009-10.[/font]

562 games
moz-screenshot-4.jpg
moz-screenshot-5.jpg

espn-fc-schedule-08-09-v2.jpg

Here are the fifteen most intriguing games we see on the package this season:

1. American @ Oklahoma (11.14.08)

2. UT-Martin (Lester Hudson) @ Tennessee (11.18.08)

3. Nevada @ San Diego (11.18.08)

4. West Virginia @ Ole Miss (12.03.08)

5. Texas A&M @ Alabama (12.13.08)

6. Siena @ Kansas (01.06.09)

7. Syracuse @ Connecticut (01.17.09)

8. Louisville @ Syracuse (01.25.09)

9. Kentucky @ Florda (01.29.09)

10. Stanford @ UCLA (01.31.09)

11. Texas A&M @ Oklahoma (02.04.09)

12. Miami (FL) @ Duke (02.07.09)

13. Vanderbilt @ Tennessee (02.14.09)

14. Pittsburgh @ Connecticut (02.15.09)

15. Pittsburgh @ Louisville (02.28.09
this for $100 >> League Pass, Sunday Ticket, Gameplan, etc

Oklahoma opening with American? Not something I would wana do..

never seen the point in that. can see all my pac-10 games and all the big games are on TV on ESPN,ABC or CBS and some of the other off channels on Direct TV.unlike gameplane where some big games dont hit TV all the time. and sunday ticket *#!*$ on all

collegehoops.net has to be the worst site I've ever read, by far.

OVERRATED PLAYERS

CHN writers were asked a simple question: Whois the most overrated player in the country? Here's what our guys had to say.. let us know who you would choose below:

[table][tr][td] [/td] [td]
Hasheem Thabeet (UCONN): Thabeet is a great shot-blocker because of his size, but beyond that, he doesn't do anything great. He wasn't even the leading rebounder on his team, and he's very limited offensively beyond dunks.

Jason Brubaker
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]
Dominic James (Marquette): James isn't as overrated as he was a few years back, yet he is still considered a top player by many despite his numbers dropping each year. Plus, he can't even shoot over 40% from the field.

Jeff Fox
James Anderson (Oklahoma State): This is a reach that I'll most likely regret as the season goes on. But for as good as he was last season as times, I think Big 12 defenses will have an even better idea of how to defend him.

Raphielle Johnson
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
picture-11.jpg
[/td] [td]
Hasheem Thabeet (UCONN): You can't teach 7-3. But you can teach him not to get pushed around so much.

Kevin McNeill
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]

[/td] [td]
Ty Lawson (UNC): Don't get me wrong, Lawson is solid.. and one of the Top 5-10 point guards in the country. But this is how it's going to go down: UNC will win the title, Lawson will go between 10-15 in the Draft, and then be an NBA bust like every Tar Heel (Felton, Forte, May, Wright, etc) selected since the 1998 Draft.

Shawn Siegel
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
?
[/td] [td]
Chase Budinger (Arizona): Still goes in and out of games way too much for my liking. Not sure how a chaotic situation at Arizona is going to change that.

Jason Tomassini
Blake Griffin (Oklahoma): There is no doubt that Griffin is a really, really good player, but the expectations are a little too high.

Joel Welser
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
picture-1986.jpg
[/td] [td]
Greg Paulus (Duke): How many times can you call a player hard working and gutsy before it gets old? The former McDonald's All-American has an offense limited to shooting from the perimeter, isn't a great playmaker, and now isn't even a starter.

Joey Whelan
[/td] [/tr][/table]

In regards to Uconn...

I think Austrie is better out there now (and last year) for that team.

Dyson just doesn't seem to mesh well.

Actually allen, based on those overrated listings.. i don't entirely disagree with any of them, especially considering their brief reasonings.

Originally Posted by yungmatt

I disagree with Greg Paulus being overrated....EVERYONE knows hes TRASH
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i was gonna say something like that.. how can you be overrated when everyone thinks you suck?
laugh.gif

nah but seriously, he is overrated by people like ESPN who still think he's great. i don't think he's that bad, but definitely hasn't lived upto his billing out of high school.

James Anderson is anything but overrated. He had a solid year last year, and hasn't even been mentioned nationally too much (unless I'm missingsomething).

Dude that said Dominic James is on the money, though.

picture-1986.jpg

Greg Paulus (Duke): How many times can you call a player hard working and gutsy before it gets old? The former McDonald's All-American has an offense limited to shooting from the perimeter, isn't a great playmaker, and now isn't even a starter.

Joey Whelan

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i was gonna say something like that.. how can you be overrated when everyone thinks you suck?
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

He's not bad, he's actually pretty good right now.

I don't know how anyone can be expected to be Bobby Hurley 2.0

Originally Posted by tmay407

James Anderson is anything but overrated. He had a solid year last year, and hasn't even been mentioned nationally too much (unless I'm missing something).

Dude that said Dominic James is on the money, though.

I actually love Anderson's game and have always been a slight Cowboys fan.. but i thought with the rationale that guy gave, his answer makes a bit ofsense...

Originally Posted by dreClark

picture-1986.jpg

Joey Whelan

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Dre,please dont tell me your a paulus fan
laugh.gif

and then be an NBA bust like every Tar Heel (Felton, Forte, May, Wright, etc) selected since the 1998 Draft.
This right here got my attention and when you think about it, makes a bit of sense. Everybody loves to talk about Duke playersbecoming busts in the league but recently, how many UNC players have been bonafide stars? I think peoples opinion of UNC and their production of pro playersis skewed due to the likes of Jordan, Worthy, Perkins, etc and seem to forget about the Ed Cotas, Fortes, Langs, Currys, etc who were highly touted recruitscoming in and couldn't cut it in the league.

picture-1986.jpg

Joey Whelan

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Dre,please dont tell me your a paulus fan
laugh.gif

- Greg Paulus - Doesn't quite get the credit he deserves. The scape goat for a couple years, he put together a VERY solid season last year. And hit a number of big shots for the Dukies. Depending on how the starting 5 shakes out, he may be asked to become more of a scorer than he was last year, and he was shooting lights out last year hitting his 3's at a pretty good clip. He's still slow and pushes off too much, but if you can't see the improvement that he made, you're %*+$$@@ blind. Oh, and Greg, I still remember you not passing the ball up court to JJ for the potential game winner at the end of the Duke/G'Town game 2 years ago.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

------------------
And I doubt B. Wright is gonna be a bust. Boy looked good last night (pause)

His game has DRASTICALLY improved.

Oh, and Greg, I still remember you not passing the ball up court to JJ for the potential game winner at the end of the Duke/G'Town game 2 years ago.
ehhh, he only has 41...I'll do it myself
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

and then be an NBA bust like every Tar Heel (Felton, Forte, May, Wright, etc) selected since the 1998 Draft.
This right here got my attention and when you think about it, makes a bit of sense. Everybody loves to talk about Duke players becoming busts in the league but recently, how many UNC players have been bonafide stars? I think peoples opinion of UNC and their production of pro players is skewed due to the likes of Jordan, Worthy, Perkins, etc and seem to forget about the Ed Cotas, Fortes, Langs, Currys, etc who were highly touted recruits coming in and couldn't cut it in the league.

Agreed. NC is in a drought right now that no one seems to notice. I never been a fan of ty lawson's game anyway

- Greg Paulus - Doesn't quite get the credit he deserves. The scape goat for a couple years, he put together a VERY solid season last year. And hit a number of big shots for the Dukies. Depending on how the starting 5 shakes out, he may be asked to become more of a scorer than he was last year, and he was shooting lights out last year hitting his 3's at a pretty good clip. He's still slow and pushes off too much, but if you can't see the improvement that he made, you're %*+$$@@ blind. Oh, and Greg, I still remember you not passing the ball up court to JJ for the potential game winner at the end of the Duke/G'Town game 2 years ago.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

------------------
And I doubt B. Wright is gonna be a bust. Boy looked good last night (pause)

His game has DRASTICALLY improved.
You wildin dre... The ONLY thing ive seen paulus do well in 3 years is shoot 3s. Shaky ballhandler,terrible decision maker. Ill admit He gives ithis all every game but hes just NOT TALENTED
laugh.gif
. Ill agree with you aboutB.Wright though...If he works on his game he can be a good pro.Not an all star but a solid pro

Back
Top Bottom