The College Basketball Post

Does Arizona even have a point guard coming for next season ? Will Gabe York be forced to do that ?

Mcconnell is going to be disgusting in red n blue.

Hilarious u hate lyons gunna, i was extremely pissed that miller went after him...yo, look at dez wells at md :lol:

Maddening...everyone loooves lyons too

W pitt losing today providence has to be the hottest team in the big east right? Could make a case for gtown but cincy was baaaadddd in that game.

Prov w a chance to play themselves into the ncaas w a win @ syracuse

Lol Make a case? C'mon they've won 9 of 10.

I like Cooley a ton and they're a tournament team next season but I don't see it. 4-1 down the stretch plus a W in the BET might put them in the mix. The BC/Brown/PSU losses are just too ugly, too bad they weren't at full strength earlier.

Edit I take that back about Iowa, resume is worse than I thought

Last edited:
Too bad Ledo couldn't play for they'd probably have a good chance this year too.

Cotton/Dunn will be a nice backcourt.

Lol Make a case? C'mon they've won 9 of 10

True true. Let my homerism take over :lol: ...you can admit though they were meh vs cincy

Those 3 losses are obvious though...sure they hurt but can that reaallly matter come tourney time? They should win 4 of 5 tho

SCuse dunn is a monster n will b best m2m defender in BE next year, cotton will be gone tho. BUT ledo will be in black/white unless something crazy happens

Ledo goes to cuse or kentucky n hes playing, stays loyal and gets f'ed. Ncaa is a joke

Last edited:

come to Lexington... please.

I picked a good weekend to go out of town and miss our game. Yikes. :x

Does Arizona even have a point guard coming for next season ? Will Gabe York be forced to do that ?

Mcconnell is going to be disgusting in red n blue.

Hilarious u hate lyons gunna, i was extremely pissed that miller went after him...yo, look at dez wells at md :lol:

Maddening...everyone loooves lyons too

at this point I can no longer be mad at Lyons, It's Miller who is Allowing him to do this. *shrugs*

Pitt is nation's most underrated
The Panthers don't pass the eye test, but are much better than you think
Updated: February 18, 2013, 12:37 PM ET
By Ken Pomeroy | Special to ESPN Insider

Email
Print

J.J. MooreCharles LeClaire/USA TODAY SportsJ.J. Moore and Pittsburgh rank fourth in the Big East in adjusted defensive efficiency.

I think it's safe to say that no team has underachieved its numbers more than the Pittsburgh Panthers. Even after losing at Marquette on Saturday, Pitt has outscored its Big East opponents by 89 points, which suggests it's more like a 10-3 Big East team than the 8-5 record it currently owns.

And it's not as though Jamie Dixon's team has done this against a weak conference schedule. To the contrary, they have drawn the short straw schedule-wise. Among teams in the top half of the Big East, they've played easily the toughest conference slate so far, already racking up games against Syracuse, Louisville and Georgetown, with two each against Marquette and Cincinnati. That represents over half of their Big East games to this point.

College Hoops on WatchESPN

• Notre Dame vs. Pittsburgh
2/18, 7 p.m. -- ESPN
• West Virginia vs. Kansas State
2/18, 9 p.m. -- ESPN
• Indiana vs. Michigan State
2/19, 7 p.m. -- ESPN
• Florida State vs. NC State
2/19, 6 p.m. -- ESPN2
• Florida vs. Missouri
2/19, 9 p.m. -- ESPN

The eye test, however, is not all that flattering to Pitt. In general, I feel that the eye test often fails for teams that play at a slow pace and don't shoot particularly well. Over the past decade, Pittsburgh has often been the standard for teams that are able to score deceptively well on a per-possession basis. Dixon's history as head coach is littered with squads that dominated the offensive boards and took care of the ball well enough to convert unspectacular shooting accuracy into an effective scoring machine.

This season is no different. The Panthers rank 84th nationally in the NCAA's version of scoring offense, averaging 71 points per game. That's actually impressively high considering that Pitt ranks as the 14th-slowest team in terms of adjusted tempo this season. In fact, this may end up being the slowest-paced team Dixon has put on the floor in his 10 seasons at Pitt. The Panthers have played only five games with at least 65 possessions. Two of them were in overtime, and another was against DePaul, the second-fastest team in the country in terms of adjusted tempo.

The Panthers haven't been a great shooting team this season, but it would be unfair to say they are shooting poorly. In conference play, they rank sixth in the Big East in 2-point percentage and fourth in 3-point percentage, although they rarely take outside shots. And therein lies one of Dixon's secrets: The ability to get a high percentage of shot attempts in the paint allows his team to retrieve a lot of those misses. The Panthers are currently third in the country in offensive rebounding percentage, and if they finish that way it would mark the fourth time in five seasons Pitt has finished in the top three in that category. While Pitt's offense may not necessarily be feared, the combination of above average shooting and elite offensive rebounding is a good recipe to score points efficiently. And the Panthers rank fourth in the conference in points per possession even against that difficult schedule so far.

I probably don't need to do much work to convince you that Pitt has a very good defense. The Panthers' reputation in that area has long benefited from their slow pace of play, even in seasons where that defense might not have been so great at stopping opponents on a per-possession basis. That's the weird thing about Dixon's reputation as a coach. In three of his previous nine seasons coaching Pitt, the Panthers' adjusted offensive efficiency has ranked higher than their adjusted defensive efficiency, and this season is no different.

In last year's debacle -- the first time Pitt missed the NCAA tournament under Dixon -- it was the defense that cratered, ranking 151st nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency and 12th in the Big East during conference play. This season, though, the defense is back to an acceptable level for a team that has aspirations of a deep tournament run, Saturday's Marquette loss notwithstanding. Like the offense, it ranks fourth in the conference.

[+] EnlargeJamie Dixon
Randy Sartin/US PresswireJamie Dixon's Pitt team once again features a slew of top offensive rebounders.

For a season where scoring is down to a historic low largely because coaches have abandoned aggressive offensive rebounding in favor of preventing transition opportunities, Pitt is proving you can crash the glass and play good defense too. (In fact, there are plenty of examples of teams that crash the boards and still maintain a quality defense. Conference-mate Syracuse is another case.)

Of course, it helps to have Talib Zanna and Steven Adams, a pair of big men who are elite offensive rebounders. Dixon doesn't have to sacrifice transition by sending a bunch of players to the glass. Those two alone do enough work to make the Panthers a formidable offensive rebounding team.

This has been the most underappreciated trait of Dixon's coaching over the years. His teams are consistently great at offensive rebounding, but it's not that he maniacally sends a bunch of players to the boards, or even insists on always sending as many as three. He has been able to plug guys into the power forward and center positions who gobble up second chances as well as anyone. This season, Adams has produced as a freshman, replacing what Dante Taylor gave Pitt last season. Before Taylor, there were guys such as Gary McGhee, DeJuan Blair, Aaron Gray, Chevy Troutman and Chris Taft. Every Pitt team under Dixon has featured an elite offensive rebounder and often two.

I don't know if there's another coach who is seemingly able to turn any big man into an offensive rebounding force, but it's not a quality that gets enough attention. This is especially intriguing considering it's on a team that typically plays at a fairly slow pace and therefore doesn't rack up huge scoring numbers.

But that quality has allowed the Panthers' offense to perform well this season, and with a defense that has returned to form, Pitt is a team that should be feared even if its record doesn't capture your attention. I'll admit, like most observers, classifying Pitt as one of the nation's top teams is not something my eyes are comfortable with. But its overall production suggests it could be one of the 10 best teams in the country.

A tough conference schedule, slow pace and outstanding rebounding are hiding an offense that may be judged too harshly by human voters.

Oh my that was a terrible terrible game. Notre Dame dominated the glass.

Just garbage all around. 

Victor should be playing tonight, winning this one would be a huge statement and separate us from the pack a little imo

Back
Top Bottom