The College Basketball Post

Allen... didn't watch much of that Cincy/GTown game, but saw the Hoyas got it. Distinctly remember you saying Otto needed a 20/15 performance, and saw he had 16/7. A good game obviously, efficient from the field and line. But nothing absolutely STANDOUT of course, especially from his standards. So how did they do it?

Just from first glance, Cincy went ice cold from three. 4/24 :x :x :x

They shoot 32% from three on the season, just 16% on Saturday. That would be ugly but tolerable if they weren't jacking up 24 of them... but yeah :smh:

Also, what's your take on tonights game? Coast from start to finish? Feel like we're sitting on a big game from Melvin coming soon. Sans that Notre Dame game (since his box score was significantly improved in the overtime period), he hasn't had a BIG game since January 15th. Still don't think it would be enough to win...

Last edited:
I'm not even going to argue with y'all at this point, I've long ago realized you guys don't like it when I have nice things...

So how did they do it?

Defense mostly + bad UC offense. But also Starks has looked more like the player I expected coming out of HS this season and not what he was his FR/SO seasons, he's improvement has been critical. Same with Lubick.

Don't see any reason why they don't win tonight but just when things look good this program has been known to lay a dud obviously.

Chad Ford:

Steve Urkel (Chicago)
What are your thoughts on Nerlens Noel's injury? Is he still going to declare for the draft this year?

Chad Ford (1:46 PM)
He hasn't indicated one way or the other, but I think it's likely. Every GM and scout I spoke with believes that he's still a Top 5 pick as long as his rehab is going well. They're willing to be patient. And with Andrew Wiggins coming next year, it's unlikely he'd be the No. 1 pick in 2014 anyway.

Pete (Minneapolis)
Victor Oladipo had another great game last night. Do you think its possible he is a top 5 pick? Not a ton of comps out there with his combination of athleticism and defense.

Chad Ford (1:48 PM)
Yes. He's moved into the Top 5 on our Big Board and for the first time, I've had a couple of GMs tell me that they like him more than Ben McLemore. They are in the minority right now ... but still. What a rise. In all my years of covering the draft, I've never seen a player improve as much as I've seen him improve in such a small period of time. He has weaknesses, but major, major upside. If he continues to improve, I don't think it's out of the question he could be the No. 1 pick in June. He's not there yet, but he's special.

Kendra (Lansing)
Archie Goodwin over Gary Harris???? Really??? Is it only because Goodwin went to UK because if the roles were reversed . . .

Chad Ford (1:51 PM)
Goodwin has been ranked ahead of Harris all year, but lately Goodwin has been sliding and Harris rising. Last night we moved Harris ahead of Goodwin on our Top 100. But ... I will say this. Harris is surrounded by veterans which take a lot of the pressure off. Goodwin is drowning on a team without much experience and without a real point guard. If they changed teams? Other than the fact that Tom Izzo will kill Goodwin for his shot selection, I don't know.

Moses (Maryland)
Ben McLemore vs. Marcus Smart tonight on ESPN2. Which player has a better NBA career?

Chad Ford (1:53 PM)
I could see them going 1 and 2 in the NBA draft. And I'm not sure which guy would go No. 1. Probably depends on team need. I love them both. Both have their weaknesses. But both have the potential to be NBA All-Stars someday.

Chad Ford (1:55 PM)
Yes. Poythress and Goodwin have really done damage to their draft stocks the past few weeks. Both were considered by scouts to be Top 10 picks before the season began. Poythress still clinging to the end of the lottery. Goodwin now out of it. Cauley-Stein flubbed his first game starting in place of Nerlens Noel. Scouts love the upside, but he's going to have to produce to stay in the lottery.

nolen (canada)
If Payne from Michigan State leaves early, when does he get picked?

Chad Ford (1:56 PM)
Has really helped himself this year. Good size. NBA athlete. Showing off surprising range on that jump shot. He's a bubble first rounder right now.

Ryan (Ohio)
Could Anthony Bennett be a SF in the NBA?

Chad Ford (1:57 PM)
Maybe. Most scouts see him as a power forward. He's a bit undersized, but those long arms and explosive athletic ability help. Doesn't really matter on the offensive end. Just needs to be able to guard someone. Think he's a lock for the Top 5.

Here we go... Gophers at Ohio State!

Both teams coming off bad losses... Matta getting torched by Bo, and the awful 67-30 run that the Iowa Hawkeyes put on the Gophers in Iowa City.

Spread on the game is 5, and Vegas is rarely off so that means we're in for a competitive game. I think Ohio St wins in the end with Craft making multiple brilliant plays that we'll look back on and think, "oh that's why". I shudder when I think of Andre Hollins turnovers combined with Aaron Craft's defense :x

Rodney not playing. Awful :smh:

Means Mbakwe on Deshaun... Think Deshaun is too quick and can extend too far for Mbawke's defense to handle. We'll see.

Should be a win for Ohio St, but I'm not going to be shocked either way. Lets steal one just to prove we can.

Edit: Rodney Williams starting...

Last edited:
Was at the Miami/UVa game last night. Environment was unreal, crowd was electric, this team has really pumped life into the local community. I'm loving every minute of this because the program is about to get the hammer put down on them, this success is our way of sticking it to the NCAA.

Syracuse killed all that Providence pulling the upset noise early.

As a Cuse fan, I can still see this squad losing in the 2nd round of the tourney though.

Colorado St kids are a tough bunch. I'm sure Eustachy likes having road trips to Vegas on his schedule now.

Needed win for UNLV. Pull up winner by Marshall, who knew.

Watched the KU and OSU game...good game

After watching KU for about the 5th, number 40 and 1 have no business suiting up for that program. They are absolute trash. Stealing money from the school.

McLemore is very very overrated. He's stroke is nice and he can jump out the gym. But the kid can't create for crap. I mean the last two possions he was no where to be found, they went through Redford for the last shot. I understand the potential but no way in hell he goes top 3.

And on another note LaMarcus Nash won't ever see valuable mins in the League. He's straight Pus.

Yea Mclemore really can't create a shot for himself when it's needed, he gets by on his athleticism right now.

Lebryan is really never going to be anything :lol:, I thought he would have been an all American by now when he first came to OK st he's not even the second best player on the team. Terrible shot selection, inconsistency, and often just isn't aware.

I bet Kansas doesn't make it farther than the sweet 16 this year.

Syracuse killed all that Providence pulling the upset noise early.

As a Cuse fan, I can still see this squad losing in the 2nd round of the tourney though.
You could say that about practically anyone this year. 

McLemore can't create a shot for himself that's why I still don't get how people view him as a better prospect than Bazz but what do I know.

^ yea what this year has shown is everyone can and will fall. There isn't a clear cut #1 or #2. All the big guns are vulnerable...tourny is gonna be amazing

I saw Otto got hurt. What's the word ?

Agree about BM.. wanted to see more but I think KU can go far

Who knows though

This tournament is going to be unreal. Have no idea who will march on but I am hyped :pimp:

Haven't believed in KU all year, not a fan of Elijah/Releford/Withey at all, would be surprised to see them get past the Sweet 16 to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom