The College Basketball Post

that MSU/UK SEC Tourney game was a blessing in disguise...we ROLLED thru the NCAA tourney.

Daunte (Dohntay?) (Dontae'?) Jones was fun to watch.

[h1]Wayns to keep alive the Philadelphia point guard tradition[/h1]

Updated: October 22, 2008
recruit_philly_players_580.jpg

Getty Images/Icon SMI/Kelly Kline

Maalik Wayns, the No. 22 player in the Class of 2009, has the talent to follow in the footsteps of fellow Philadelphia point guards Jameer Nelson (left) and Kyle Lowry (center).
[h3]Wayns Ready To Carry The Torch As Philadelphia's Next Great Point Guard[/h3]
By Dana O'Neil
ESPN.com
PHILADELPHIA -- Every day in the summer of 2005, Jameer Nelson drove onto the Villanova campus.
Suspicious basketball fans shuddered.

There are a few things you don't do in Philadelphia. You don't ask what a 'cheesesteak with' is, you don't root for the Cowboys and youdon't cross basketball loyalties.

Big 5 blood runs thick; Catholic League hoops even thicker.

If you go to Saint Joseph's you don't fraternize with Villanova and for the love of God, don't marry one another.

Graduate from Roman Catholic? You don't root for Cardinal Dougherty or Saint Joseph's Prep, league divisions be damned. It's principle.

Nelson on the Villanova campus? That was worse than a Hatfield pitching a tent among the McCoys.

But within the confines of the parochial and fiercely neighborhood-centric city there is a subculture that defies the rules and gets away with it.

Among Philly point guards there is almost a Biblical birth order that knows no allegiances: La Salle's Doug Overton (Dobbins Tech) begat Nelson(Chester) who begat Kyle Lowry (Cardinal Dougherty).

And now Lowry, Nelson's rival turned protégé in that summer of 2005, is passing the torch across more enemy lines.

Lowry, a Dougherty graduate, is shepherding Roman Catholic's MaalikWayns.

"Once you get to this level, all that crossing school lines is old,'' said Lowry, entering his third season with the Memphis Grizzlies."It's not about Villanova or St. Joe's or Roman or Dougherty. It's like a fraternity. We all take pride in Philadelphia and want to make sureevery kid gets the help if they want it. You see that potential and you want to help people reach it.''

It is quite the lineage that Wayns is following, one that includes three NBA Draft picks, 4,432 points, 1,555 assists and 641 steals.

According to recruiting experts, Wayns, who will follow in Lowry's footsteps to Villanova, is more than equipped to carry the tradition.

Ranked third best at his position by ESPN Scouts Inc. (behind JohnWall and Abdul Gaddy) and the 22nd best player in the 2009 class,Wayns' stock has skyrocketed since he gave a verbal commitment to Jay Wright following his sophomore season.

His rise, in fact, has been so meteoric that the natural questions about honoring his verbal are surfacing, especially when Villanova already has astockpile of guards in Scottie Reynolds, Corey Fisher and Corey Stokes.

"I know there are rumors out there about me wavering but no chance,'' said Wayns, who averaged 24.6 points and 7.6 assists for Roman in hisjunior season. "Back in ninth and 10th grade, I wasn't nationally known but I wanted to pick the right school for me. That was Villanova and nothinghas changed.''

OK, well some things have changed.

Two years ago no one knew Wayns.

This year he sandwiched all-star performances during summer-league ball in Las Vegas and Philadelphia with a spot on the U.S. Under-18 roster. The youngestplayer selected, he earned rave reviews from the team's head coach, Davidson's Bob McKillop. "He gets it in the right hands at the right time andto the right spot," McKillop said. "His decision-making is impeccable.''

recruit_maalik_wayns1_200.jpg

Jason O. Watson for ESPN.com

Wayns is the top player in Villanova's stellar 2009 recruiting class.
So he's got the talent of his predecessors. The question is, does he have the toughness?
Ask basketball people to define a Philly guard and you're sure to hear the same words time and again: tough, gritty, hard-nosed, scrappy. Nelson andLowry epitomized the city's pride and job.

Both undersized, they inserted tenacity for whatever height differential they lost. Nelson rode his pluck to national player of the year honors; Lowry to anearly college exit to the NBA.

"It comes from playing on the playgrounds,'' Wayns said. "You can't be soft. If you're soft, you're not playing.''

It's a trait that can't necessarily be taught but it can be honed. Lowry refined his that summer he spent with Nelson. Fiercely competitive with apit bull mentality wrapped in a Chihuahua's frame, Lowry's natural talent was at times undone by his impetuous behavior and stubbornness. WatchingNelson, then a pro, changed him.

In Wayns, Lowry sees none of his own bad traits. He's a good kid from a tough city.

That doesn't mean there's nothing to improve. Lowry, who's known Wayns for years, saw some things this summer when the two worked out and whenWayns played with Team Philly, his AAU team coached by Lowry's older brother, Lonnie.

"I thought I knew everything back then and I haven't really seen that with him; he's a good kid,'' Lowry said. "He's veryadvanced offensively. He's definitely a better shooter than I was, but the thing with me, when I scored 10 or 11 in a row, I wanted 13 and 14. I didn'tstop. He needs to learn that, to keep pushing.''

Alongside the inspirational players who have made it and guided him, there are plenty of Philadelphia cautionary tales to keep Wayns on the straight andnarrow as well. He walks the same high school halls that were once home to Eddie Griffin.

As a senior at Roman, Griffin was the high school national player of the year, a kid so gifted he drew comparisons to Philadelphia's greatest basketballexport, Wilt Chamberlain.

Six years later, after a disjointed college and NBA career, he was dead, killed when his car was hit by a train.

Wayns knows the story well. He knows, too, the pressures that will come this year. With top rankings come expectations and come opposing teams as keen onstopping him as beating Roman.

"I know I just need to stay focused,'' Wayns said. "It's about not letting the hype get to you and just playing yourgame.''

Wayns' game could take him even further this year. This is the first time Philadelphia Catholic League schools are eligible to compete in thePennsylvania state championships. Wayns already owns a Catholic League championship. He'd love to be part of the first Catholic League team to win a statecrown and not just for the spot in history.

For all of his individual accomplishments, Lowry never won a team title. His Dougherty team was twice undone by St. Joe's Prep in the title game.

"I got more championships than him already,'' Wayns laughed. "It would be great to get another one.''

Told of Wayns' trash talk, Lowry scoffed.

"He can't trash talk me at all,'' Lowry said. "He's not old enough to do that. Yeah, I don't have a championship. We ran intoa good team with a good coach but I bet even if we had lost that Catholic League title, we would have won a state title.''
Dana O'Neilcovers college basketball for ESPN.com and can be reached at [email protected].

Where are NY PG's now? Kemba, and...?

And Eddie Griffin...never really hit me died...he always seemed under the radar...so talented. 18, 11 and 4.5 blocks a game his one year incollege...and really never got much pub...just a strange, strange, short life and career.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

DICKIE V.'s 2008-09 PRESEASON ALL-SOLID GOLD TEAMS

FIRST TEAM
  • C-Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina
  • F-Luke Harangody, Notre Dame
  • F-Chase Budinger, Arizona
  • G-Stephen Curry, Davidson
  • G-Darren Collison, UCLA
SECOND TEAM
  • C-Hasheem Thabeet, Connecticut
  • F-Tyler Smith, Tennessee
  • F-Damion James, Texas
  • G-Ty Lawson, North Carolina
  • G-A.J. Abrams, Texas
THIRD TEAM
  • C-DeJuan Blair, Pittsburgh
  • F-Patrick Patterson, Kentucky
  • F-Blake Griffin, Oklahoma
  • G-Tyrese Rice, Boston College
  • G-James Harden, Arizona State
FOURTH TEAM
  • C-A.J. Ogilvy, Vanderbilt
  • F-Sam Young, Pittsburgh
  • F-Jon Brockman, Washington
  • G-Wayne Ellington, North Carolina
  • G-Dominic James, Marquette
FIFTH TEAM
  • C-Earl Clark, Louisville
  • F-Gerald Henderson, Duke
  • F-Robbie Hummel, Purdue
  • G-A.J. Price, Connecticut
  • G-Jack McClinton, Miami-Florida
Hmmmmm....

Somethind is not right here....

2cb35340ba54a5e71bbf521694d2e6d0f7717c5.gif

Damn, Lute, the $++* is goin' on?

Where's P-Mac or Dfresh to tell us everything's gonna be dandy in Tucson?

Good move by my man Jennings.

It's Big East Media Day this morning in Gotham, which means we can all wash the tongue-biting blood out of our mouths and start talking about what should be one of the best conferences in the modern history of college basketball. If you're excited, give a small fist pump that no one sees and do a limb-flailing dance in your head.

This list is a bit top-heavy, but it's still a significant step up from the Jeff Xavier-led group of a year ago.

10. Steve Toyloy, Jr, F, Cincinnati

TRANSFERRED FROM: Miami-Dade Community College

Toyloy, a physical specimen at 6-8, 255, may be relied upon more than initially expected with the recent dismissal of Nick Aldridge and John Riek unlikely to be cleared by the NCAA anytime soon.

9. Charles Okwandu, So, C, Connecticut

TRANSFERRED FROM: Harcum Junior College

A 7-foot-1 import from Nigeria, Chukuma "Charles" Okwandu has shown enough polish in the opening days of practice to warrant talk of him stepping in and immediately serving as Hasheem Thabeet's primary backup. Odds are 3:1 that he'll be the nation's leading shot-blocker in 16 months.

ph2006012901142_medium.jpg

He's Nigerian, not an alien, he knows how to wave

8. Dee Proby. Jr, F, West Virginia

TRANSFERRED FROM: Angelina College

Proby, who originally committed to Oklahoma State, will see immediate playing time in Morgantown for the sole reason that he's just about the only size Bob Huggins has to work with. The 6-10 junior isn't quite Kevin Pittsnoggle, but he can knock down the open jumper from 10-15 feet out, and his 240-pound frame will have to be on the floor for the Mountaineers to compete in a Big East conference rich with post talent.

7. Julian Vaughn, So, C, Georgetown

TRANSFERRED FROM: Florida State

Vaughn played at Florida State during the 2007-2008 season, but obtained a waiver from the NCAA that made him eligible to play for Georgetown right away. A former four-star recruit out of vaunted Oak Hill Academy, he'll have to compete with freshmen studs Greg Monroe and Henry Sims for playing time.

A foul was called on this play. You know it. I know it

6. Alejandro Rivas Sanchez, Jr, C, South Florida

TRANSFERRED FROM: Pratt Community College

Rivas Sanchez's average of 12 rebounds per game ranked sixth nationally in junior college a year ago. Though he lacks the offensive skill set to be a real threat to opposing Big East big men, he has the athleticism - and the lack of roster competition - to come in and be a starter right away. His feet are going to need to grow about seven sizes if he wants to fill the prints left by Kentrell Gransberry.

5. Reginald Delk, Jr, G, Louisville

TRANSFERRED FROM: Mississippi State

Delk is a deadly outside shooter who will likely see time at both the two and the three, perhaps beginning the season as the starter at the latter with senior Terrence Williams recovering from a knee injury. He averaged 9.5 points and shot just under 45% from the field for Mississippi State in the 2006-2007 season.

4. Jermaine Dixon, Jr, G, Pittsburgh

TRANSFERRED FROM: Tallahassee Junior College

Dixon, the younger brother of former Maryland star Juan Dixon, was rated as one of the top five junior college transfers in the country after becoming the first player in Tallahassee JC history to lead the team in scoring (20.9 ppg), rebounding (6.7 rpg) and assists (98) last season. He'll be expected to step in immediately and alleviate some of the pressure on Levance Fields by helping to fill the void left by graduated sharp-shooter Ronald Ramon.

3. Mike Mercer, Jr, G, South Florida

TRANSFERRED FROM: Georgia

Rated as the No. 22 overall prospect in the class of 2006 by Rivals.com, Mercer's career at Georgia didn't exactly go as planned. After making the SEC All-Freshman Team in his rookie season, the talented guard's sophomore campaign was cut short by a season-ending ACL tear in February of 2007. Then, after already having been disciplined for academic issues, Mercer was dismissed nine months later by head coach Dennis Felton for "failure to adhere to team standards and policies."

Mercer won't be eligible until after the conclusion of the fall semester, but with guards Dominique Jones, Chris Howard and Jesus Verdejo all coming off of solid seasons, Stan Heath may be forced to pick up the tempo and go super small once the talented transfer joins the fray.

2. Mike Williams, Sr, F, Cincinnati

TRANSFERRED FROM: Texas

The man who likely would have topped this list a year ago had he not ruptured his Achilles tendon during a preseason workout comes up a spot short 12 months later. Williams, a former McDonald's All-American, is expected to headline a much improved Bearcat frontcourt despite not doing a whole lot during his two seasons in Austin. If he can produce the way people thought he would coming out of high school, he may end up being the most valuable player in the league.

1. Robert Mitchell, Jr, F, Seton Hall

TRANSFERRED FROM: Duquesne

In his lone season at Duquesne, "Stix" Mitchell averaged 16.4 points and 5.4 rebounds on his way to being named Atlantic-10 Freshman of the Year. He'll be expected to come in and assume the role Brian Laing played so well over the course of his Pirate career, but he'll have to wait until after he serves a two game suspension for riding the team bus when he wasn't supposed to last season.

Where are NY PG's now? Kemba, and...?

And Eddie Griffin...never really hit me died...he always seemed under the radar...so talented. 18, 11 and 4.5 blocks a game his one year in college...and really never got much pub...just a strange, strange, short life and career.
Eddie and the rest of that freshman class at the Hall got SERIOUS pub and the hype stayed with them throughout their entire freshman year. It'd didn't help that Eddie was givin' dudes the business in the locker room but if that class had stayed together for 3 years, I guarantee atleast an Elite 8.

Eddie was just a knucklehead though and if there was a top 5 list for waste of talent he'd be on it (Len Bias would be there as well, RIP).

And them NYC PG's are like a dying breed. Alot of the NYC PG talent are taking their game to Jersey and other parts of the country.

Hmmmmm....

Somethind is not right here....
I know what it is. Ain't none of those teams got Greg Paulus on them. Pure blasphemy I tell ya!
laugh.gif

The Blue Devils hope a healthy Brian Zoubek translates into a stronger post presence this season
No joke, if he can give us 6 and 6, hell 0 and 6 I'm content. I don't need dude to be a scoring threat, just box out and grab someboards. I don't even need dude to try to block shots. Just stand straight up and get your hands up in the paint, alter some shots and I'm good. LetKyle do work on the blocks and you just clean up any misses 2 feet from the basket.

I think Malta might be back from vacation. Lemme check....
nerd.gif

Eddie and the rest of that freshman class at the Hall got SERIOUS pub
you're right him, Barrett, Toney El...I remember SLAM and ESPN coverin them..

guess I mean a 6'11 kid with his game just kinda...idk...never that much buzz towards the end of things there and draft time...but he I guess hispersonality was reflective of that.

[h3]Updated: October 23, 2008, 12:30 PM EST 142 comments[/h3]add this RSS blog email Print

Ken Mink may be the first guy who can qualify for a senior discount during his senior season.
[table][tr][td]
8711152_36_2.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ken Mink is living his college hoops dream at the age of 73. (Saul Young/Knoxville News Sentinel / Special to FOXSports.com)[/td] [/tr][/table]
Mink, 73, is a 6-foot, 190-pound newcomer to the Roane State (Tenn.) junior college basketball team about 35 miles west of Knoxville.

He's likely the oldest person to ever play college hoops. To put Mink in perspective, Utah State's Gary Wilkinson will be among the oldest DivisionI players this season; he just turned 26.

Mink played for Lees (Ky.) Junior College until 1956 when he was dismissed following a prank he still denies.

Mink, an avid outdoorsman, said he realized he could still hoop it up when he was shooting baskets in his driveway last fall.

"I had been knocking down shot after shot, so when I came in the house I told my wife, 'I've still got it,' " Mink told theKnoxville News Sentinel. "She said, 'You've got what?' I said, 'I can still play.' "

[h4]What's Hot:[/h4] Top stories�|� Rumors�|� Video�|� Photos

Mink wrote to some coaches seeking the chance to play, and Roane's Randy Nesbit gave him a shot. Mink spent the summer getting into shape and playingwith a senior team from the area in three state tournaments.

Mink says he was a good high school player in the '50s and had several scholarship offers, but went to Lees because it offered a full ride. He says heaveraged about 12 points a game until his dismissal.

He can still shoot (watch this video from the Knoxville NewsSentinel), moves pretty well for a septuagenarian and has bonded with his younger teammates.

Mink is unlikely to play for more than five or six minutes a game once Roane State opens its season Nov. 3.

"There's a lot of complicated offensive and defensive schemes that I have to learn, but the other players have been helping me every step of theway," Mink said.

roll.gif
roll.gif

Defensively he moves his feet as well as Devendorf tho

Nah....

But I seen you on FB contributing to Jerome Dyson's fall towards ineligibility...

nerd.gif

Kerlew trying to "Blow" up the UCONN squad now??? SMH
This dude Dyson a lost cause. He got all the talent in the world but would rather chase buns then get it in on the court. Who am I to slap himon the wrist and tell him to relax with the draink? I'ma be right there drainkin' wit' him.
laugh.gif

The other dudes on the squad know what time it is though. FO-CUSED, YA DIG?!

That sig is gaaaaaaaawbage btw. F' Yuku for not lettin' you preview that shhhh
mad.gif

I don't have FB, what's the deal with Dyson, Malta?

And did a vid ever surface of that thru the legs off the backboard on someone over the summer? I needs to see that.

I don't have FB, what's the deal with Dyson, Malta?

And did a vid ever surface of that thru the legs off the backboard on someone over the summer? I needs to see that.
Dre talkin' bout some pics of me and this dude choppin' it up at the bar with some snow bunnies. It was water and gatorade in thoseglasses, I swear
laugh.gif

And nah, no video YET but got' damn thanks for reminding me. I totally forgot about it. I'ma go do some research and find the vid. I know he pulledit out at First Night last weekend, but when he did it during summer league it was during game play and on somebody.

I see those transfers Allen good looks.
pimp.gif

Syracuse nets Iowa State transfer Wesley Johnson

Wesley Johnson, a 6-foot-7 forward who spent the last two years at Iowa State, said in a telephone interview Tuesday night that he intended to transfer toSyracuse.

Johnson averaged 12.4 points per game for Iowa State last season. As a freshman, he averaged 12.3 points and 7.9 rebounds per game, earning a spot on the Big12 Conference's All-Rookie team.

Old article. But I hear he has been KILLIN it in practice.
I hope somehow our whole team stays together.
Adding Wesley Johnson and just more experience.Freshman.

pimp.gif

man, Lute leaving Arizona a mess, all three of them boys looking like they might re-open.

If they managed to lose all 3 of those guys, oh my goodness......
They would be one of the worst teams in the nation 2009-10. Nic Wise, gone. Budinger, gone, Hill, gone. And you bring in 0 players of substance? eeeeeeekk.time to look for some foreign influence.

Anybody got inside info on who AZ is looking at hiring? I've heard Calipari, Few, Pearl, Pitino, even Bob Knight - not sure about credibility on any ofthose claims besides Few.

Back
Top Bottom