The College Basketball Post

Gary Parrish

[font=Arial, Helvetica]It's possible the top three players in the country not named Stephen Curry are big men.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Ranked by hype, they look like this:[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]1. Tyler Hansbrough
2. Blake Griffin
3. Luke Harangody
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Ranked by production, they look like this:[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]1. Luke Harangody
2. Tyler Hansbrough
3. Blake Griffin.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Ranked by NBA potential, they look like this:[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]1. Blake Griffin
2. Tyler Hansbrough
3. Luke Harangody
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Ranked by me, they look like this:[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica](Don't forget to read the explanation onthese rankings.)[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]1. Tyler Hansbrough (North Carolina)[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
566748.jpg
Why he's here: Hansbrough has his detractors, but you can't argue with the numbers. He has never averaged fewer than 18.4 points,never averaged fewer than 7.8 rebounds, and that he has done all this at a storied program while playing within the normal flow of the game is why he will godown as one of the best players in the history of the ACC, if not college basketball.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]2. Luke Harangody (Notre Dame)[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
1139265.jpg
Why he's here: Yes, Harangody is more productive than Hansbrough, at least in terms of points and rebounds per minutes played. Harangodyaveraged 20.4 points and 10.6 rebounds in 29.0 minutes last season while Hansbrough averaged 22.6 points and 10.2 rebounds in 33.0 minutes. So as I pointed outin a column last month, I really don't think most people understand how dominantof a college player Harangody has become.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]3. Blake Griffin (Oklahoma)[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
1333506.jpg
Why he's here: Griffin hasn't posted the numbers of Hansbrough or Harangody, but he's more gifted than either and a better NBAprospect. In fact, don't be surprised when Griffin goes No. 1 in next year's draft, because he could've gone in the top five of this year'sdraft.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]4. Hasheem Thabeet (Connecticut)[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
1139247.jpg
Why he's here: Seems like people have always wanted Thabeet to be more, and that might never change. But he showed great improvementbetween his freshman and sophomore years, and his 4.5 blocks per game attest to the way 7-foot-3 future lottery pick can disrupt defensively.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]5. Patrick Patterson (Kentucky)[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
1333115.jpg
Why he's here: Patterson entered college with a lot of hype because of how he handled his recruitment, and he managed to live up to it.The 6-8 forward averaged 16.4 points and 7.7 rebounds as a freshman before suffering a season-ending injury in late February.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]6. B.J. Mullens (Ohio State)[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
bjmullens.jpg
Whyhe's here: The guess here is that Mullens is somewhere between Greg Oden and Kosta Koufos, which means he'll be really good at Ohio State. The7-foot freshman should be enough to help the Buckeyes return to the NCAA tournament after an NIT appearance last season.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]7. Jon Brockman (Washington)[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
566574.jpg
Why he's here: I tend to discount players on average teams, but Brockman is too good to ignore. He has improved each of his three years incollege, the most recent of which featured averages of 17.8 points and 11.6 rebounds.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]8. Jeff Adrien (Connecticut)[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
566590.jpg
Why he's here: That Adrien is the second UConn player listed should suggest the Huskies have a frontcourt capable of carrying them to theFinal Four. This basketball player trapped in a football player's body averaged 14.8 points and 9.1 rebounds last season.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]9. A.J. Ogilvy (Vanderbilt)[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
1333962.jpg
Why he's here: Ogilvy won't impress anybody with his athleticism, but the guy is crafty and smart and good at using his body to createangles and opportunities. He averaged 17.0 points and 6.8 rebounds for the Commodores last season and might be asked to do more now that Shan Foster is nolonger around.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]10. DeJuan Blair (Pittsburgh)[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
1333553.jpg
Why he's here: Blair isn't just a big body with a big smile. He averaged 11.6 points and 9.1 rebounds last season and should be amongthe best sophomores in the country.

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]

[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]The next 20[/font][/h4][table][tr][td]11. Derrick Brown (Xavier)[/td] [td]18. Cole Aldrich (Kansas)[/td] [td]25. DeMarre Carroll (Missouri)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12. Samardo Samuels (Louisville)[/td] [td]19. Jarvis Varnado (Mississippi State)[/td] [td]26. Luke Babbitt (Nevada)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13. Al-Farouq Aminu (Wake Forest)[/td] [td]20. JaMychal Green (Alabama)[/td] [td]27. Josh Heytvelt (Gonzaga)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14. Jordan Hill (Arizona)[/td] [td]21. Jeff Pendergraph (Arizona State)[/td] [td]28. Connor Atchley (Texas)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15. Greg Monroe (Georgetown)[/td] [td]22. Delvon Roe (Michigan State)[/td] [td]29. Arinze Onuaku (Syracuse)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16. Trevor Booker (Clemson)[/td] [td]23. Jerome Jordan (Tulsa)[/td] [td]30. Craig Brackins (Iowa State)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17. Taj Gibson (Southern California)[/td] [td]24. Robert Dozier (Memphis)[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table]

Arizona's recruiting class is falling apart, as predicted.

Scout.com is reporting that both Mike Moser and Solomon Hill -- a pair of top 65 national prospects -- have decommitted from the Arizona program since Lute Olson's Thursday retirement, leaving Abdul Gaddy as the only Class of 2009 product still verbally committed to the Wildcats. However, a source has told CBSSports.com that Gaddy will also likely decommit soon, and that UCLA is emerging as a probable destination.

Gaddy, a point guard from Tacoma, Wash., is ranked as the ninth-best prospect in the Class of 2009.

Arizona will announce later today that assistant Russ Pennell will coach the Wildcats on an interim basis.

Why does nobody ever mention that Hansbrough and Harangody offer no defense and play in high scoring/high posession systems?
ohwell.gif

I guess a dominant college big can go 3-17 in his final game of the year..god i hate him.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I have no idea how people don't see what's to like about Blake Griffin...

I don't dislike anything about him, I'm just not sold yet. Potential is definitely there to be an amazing player, but I don't get the preseasonall-american vibe out of him, unless it's just due to a complete lack of competition at that position across the nation this year.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Why does nobody ever mention that Hansbrough and Harangody offer no defense and play in high scoring/high posession systems?
ohwell.gif

I guess a dominant college big can go 3-17 in his final game of the year..god i hate him.

Gody going to teach Monroe a lesson or two this year don't worry.

Blake Griffin is a ANIMAL.....I don't know what ya'll talking about.� Son messed up his knee and missed one game.� I wanna see him and that bum fromUNC match-up.�

Originally Posted by allen3xis

ohwell.gif

Because that would involve actually looking at the tempo-free stats, and almost NOBODY in the mainstream even knows what they are at this point,which is sad.

Blake was playin on bum knees all year last year, and still dominating basketball games...
ohwell.gif
It's a wrap this year if he's healthy...

I been driving the Blake Griffin bandwagon from the jump though so I'll let his play do the talkin this year...

I understand many Nters (99%) seem to hate Hansbrough but calling him a "bum" is pure rubbish, get the hate out of your blood.

I was checking out Texas A&M's womens' basketball team recruiting, and came across this little golden nugget:

Chris Hansen covers girls' high school basketball nationally for ESPN.com and leads the panel that ranks and evaluates players for the network. He is a graduate of the University of Washington with a communications degree. He can be reached at [email protected].

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
@ chris hansen.

laugh.gif
@ me trying to post the last few hours and getting
this 504 script error every single time ... hopefully this works ...

pimp.gif
hooray!

Originally Posted by Basketballsavant

I understand many Nters (99%) seem to hate Hansbrough but calling him a "bum" is pure rubbish, get the hate out of your blood.
Hate = Envy
Plain and simple.

Just a follow up of one of the articles that Allen posted the other day with a snippet about Nevada in it...

RENO, Nev. -- Nevada starting guard Brandon Fields and freshman forward Ahyaro Phillips have pleaded not guilty to a shoplifting charge stemming from an incident earlier this month at a Sparks sporting goods store.

In the same case involving a Scheels store, freshman point guard London Giles pleaded guilty Wednesday to petty larceny, and was fined $350 plus court costs of $107.

All three players have been suspended indefinitely by coach Mark Fox.

Fields, a 6-foot-4 junior, is scheduled to go to trial Nov. 3 in Sparks Municipal Court.

Fields started all but one of Nevada's games last season, was the team's third-leading scorer with a 12.4-point average and was selected to the Western Athletic Conference's all-academic team.

Phillips, a 6-8 forward, had been scheduled to be arraigned on Oct. 27. John Arrascada, his lawyer, said he waived the arraignment and no trial date has been set.

"He is a fine person. He's very good-natured. He has a good sense of humor and is an all-around good person," Arrascada told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Giles, a 6-3 guard, is remorseful and taking responsibility for his mistake, said his lawyer, Thomas Viloria.

"It certainly is an isolated event, and I don't believe this is going to be the measuring stick of this man's character," he said.

Viloria said the criminal complaint does not specify what the three players are accused of taking, but declined to comment further.

Brandon was always a good kid, just didn't exactly have the best role models around...his dad was an absolute joke. The only time I ever saw his dad waswhen we had front row seats to a Baylor basketball game and had the opportunity to go in the locker room after the game and meet the coaches and players. Dudewas ghost other than that...I'm hoping for the best for Brandon; he was always very respectable towards adults, and even other players, he just alwayswalked around with a certain heir of arrogance that I assume is probably common amongst players like him.

And London's dad is probably gonna whoop his *%#, if he hasn't already. I remember in practice when London would act up, his dad would almost come outon the court and smack that boy around...it's good to see that London is taking responsibility for his mistakes, and owning up to them. Hopefully he canput this behind him, I always liked him as a person.

And something for DaComeUp, though I'm sure it's either already been posted or he's already seen it...

CINCINNATI -- Point guard Cashmere Wright, a freshman who was expected to play a big role for Cincinnati, tore a knee ligament and is out for the season.

The team said Thursday that Wright tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during practice this week.

The Bearcats had hoped that Wright could blend in quickly, allowing Deonta Vaughn -- their top returning scorer -- to play at shooting guard. Instead, Vaughn will have to move back to the point guard position.

Last year, junior forward Mike Williams ruptured his Achilles' tendon during preseason workouts and missed the season, a blow to the team's front line. Williams is expected to play this season.

tired.gif

Am I the only dude that thinks Dozier ain't gettin no media love this year? I see my dude around campus and he's definitely put on some muscle,he's already got the moves he just wasn't physical enough last season. This year he's gonna be expected to bang it out with the bigs and I honestlythink he can get it done ..

Originally Posted by D723

Am I the only dude that thinks Dozier ain't gettin no media love this year? I see my dude around campus and he's definitely put on some muscle, he's already got the moves he just wasn't physical enough last season. This year he's gonna be expected to bang it out with the bigs and I honestly think he can get it done ..
he has put on some muscle but not exactly sure of his role this year. He has to reboud/defense then score at least 15-20 per. Memphis scoringorder:
Anderson (team leader)
Tyreke (too good not score at least 15-20 per)
Taggart/Dozier

ESPN had a good article about Tyrone Hanson, the kid from St. Mary's on LI!!(
pimp.gif
danny green and him along with two other d1 players and thendanny green's bro which was one of the best teams in the nation)
, who went to Nevada and was at that party where he got severaly beat up and acouple other people got killed thus resulting in him getting kicked off the team. It was a good read, I'll find it later if no one posts it before then.

DURHAM, N.C. - The Duke starting lineup may have a different look this season and no one will be smiling more than Kyle Singler.

Look for 6-foot-10, 230-pound freshman Miles Plumlee to start in the middle - and don't be shocked if Nolan Smith takes three-year starting point guardGreg Paulus' job.

Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski said that "no one can lose something they haven't got" when asked about Paulus losing his spot.

But it was apparent from watching practice yesterday that Smith has currently moved ahead on the depth chart.

Plumlee, a late addition when he was allowed out of his letter-of-intent from Stanford following Trent Johnson's departure to LSU, will limit Singler'sminutes of having to battle opposing big men. A year ago, as a freshman, Singler was forced to play in the middle because of a lack of size on the team.

``When Kyle got beaten down by the end of the year, it hurt us," Krzyzewski said. ``He had to play more minutes than we had hoped in the low post."

Now Krzyzewski plans to utilize a three-man rotation of Plumlee, plodding 7-footer Brian Zoubek and undersized 6-foot-8 athlete Lance Thomas in the middle.

``Nothing is set in stone and I know I've still got to work for it," Plumlee said. "I was a little surprised I am playing with the first teambeing that I'm a freshman, but that's what I want. I've just got to keep working for it."

Plumlee gives the team a long and athletic big man who could be exactly what Duke needs to make a deep run in the postseason. He's not only capable ofproviding a shot-blocker defensively, but he is able to go get balls off the rim on the offensive end of the floor.

``He's going to be key for us, maybe the key," admitted Duke assistant coach Steve Wojciechowski. ``And it was crazy how we got him."

Plumlee was a lightly regarded recruit when he committed to Stanford and weighed about 190 pounds. However, the Duke staff had watched Plumlee's game growwhile recruiting his older brother, Mason, who committed to the Blue Devils back in February.

Paulus, arguably the team's top perimeter shooter, has started 95 games in his three seasons in Durham and led the Blue Devils in assists for the thirdstraight season.

However, a knee injury over the summer set him back and allowed sophomore Nolan Smith, the team's top perimeter defender, to make a claim to the startingspot.

``I'm going to do whatever the team needs," Paulus said. ``I just want to help the team win."

ATLANTA - Here's the ACC poll and all-conference squad, hot off the presses:

1. North Carolina (40) 480
2. Duke 436
3. Wake Forest 354
4. Miami 344
5. Clemson 306
6. Virginia Tech 298
7. Maryland 192
8. Georgia Tech 186
9. N.C. State 179
10. Florida State 145
11. Boston College 123
12. Virginia 79

All-Conference Team

Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina (unanimous)
Tyrese Rice, Boston College (unanimous)
Jack McClinton, Miami
Ty Lawson, North Carolina
Gerald Henderson, Duke

Player of the Year
Hansbrough (unanimous)

Rookie of the Year
Al-Farouq Aminu, Wake Forest (18)
Sylven Landesberg, Virginia (4)
DeQuan Jones, Miami (2)
Tony Woods, Wake Forest (2)
Iman Shumpert (2)

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Russell Byrd to Michigan State.

Terrance Boyd apparently has UK as his favorite.

Boyd most likely won't qualify. Crafsty21, Griffin does all the dirty work as well as being the team leader. He is developing his jump shot out to 17 feetand even hitting some 3 pointers. He is all over the boards and has a post game. Griffin is also much stronger than all the college players and very well has apro body which many power forwards in the NBA don't even have the strength that he possesses. I followed him all of last year and he really gets double andtriple teamed often so the numbers he puts up don't stand out but, he passes well out of the double and finds the open man. He also plays good defense andhas a good basketball IQ knowing when to dribble out of the double team.

I hope miles is really 230.

And even w/ him at the 5, I am still a bit scared. He hasn't shown much toughness.

Zoubek...Man..

Just give me 10-15 good minutes a game...

Back
Top Bottom