pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
McKiver is the man... Dude's a beast.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Arkansas lost to Bama?
sick.gif

noooooooooooooooo.

we play them on Saturday at Bud Walton. After beating UT, I'm now afraid that we will lose badly. We always do this.

Did Mike Patrick actually say this

[table][tr][td][font=Arial,Helvetica]In the Duke/GT, whoever's announcing just said that if Hansbrough comes back next year he'll be in the discussion for top 5 college basketball players ever.[/font][/td] [/tr][/table]

??
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][/table]

Yeah, he did say that.
laugh.gif

My dad heard it walking through the room, and busted out laughing. I couldn't believe it when I heard it... He was like, "Tyler's numbers aregoing to be just unbelievable. He's really had an excellent career, and he's an amazing talent. He's got to be one of the five best players in thehistory of college basketball, doesn't he?"

I'm sitting here thinking, is he even a lock as one of the 5 best Tar Heels ever?

Wow.
laugh.gif

I know Len Elmore must've not known what to say to that.

Mike Patrick, I liked doing SNF...but this college season Fball and Bball...he's turned into a joke

I hate when Mike Patrick announces games. It's better to just mute it. He says some of the most ridiculous things, always tries to play up little bumpsbetween players as them getting in a scuffle or they had to be PULLED apart

They're winning the BE.

We may very well lose saturday at Marquette..

But I'm hopin and very positive about Senior day against Louisville to end the season...then it goes to the tiebreaker.

I'd just assume Louisville win tomorrow anyway, have to beat them either way.

And I think they will..

I don't trust ND on the road, or against better talent.

Louisville or ND?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Tomorrow night should be good. I'm a Louisville fan, my roommate is a Notre Dame fan...should make for a great night
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I'm sitting here thinking, is he even a lock as one of the 5 best Tar Heels ever?

If we are simply talking about the college level, and assuming he stays another year and is healthy...Yes he is. If he averages around 20 and 10 the restof his career he'll be UNC's all-time leading scorer and rebounder, and a 4 time All-American, among other things with relative ease. He still has achance to win NPOY and/or a championship as well. Say what you want about him, but he's extremely productive and has been getting it done. Obviously therehave been more skilled and talented players at UNC, but they usually leave early.

But, Mike Patrick always says something outlandish during games. Len Elmore tries to disagree as kindly as he can, but I know he wants to blurt out"%$# you talking bout" sometimes.

C - Henry Sims
PF - Greg Monroe
SF - Dajuan Summers
SG - Austin Freeman
PG - Chris Wright

absolute filth
sick.gif

wink.gif

DaJuan will absolutely not be here by 2010

[table][tr][td][font=Arial,Helvetica]In the Duke/GT, whoever's announcing just said that if Hansbrough comes back next year he'll be in the discussion for top 5 college basketball players ever.[/font][/td] [/tr][/table]

??
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

[table][tr][td]
February 28, 2008
[font=times new roman, times, serif]Shot Selection[/font]
A Graphical Look

by Ken Pomeroy
[/td] [td]Printer-
friendly
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Contact
Author
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
The following chart describes half-court college basketball in 2008. Burn it into your head for the last few weeks of the season. You'll be a smarter fan for it.
191_01.gif
Now for some explanation. The data behind the graph is nearly 4,000 games worth of charted shots over the past five seasons. This includes a total of 340,000 shots. There's a lot of interesting stuff in the data, and the above graph represents a basic overview of it. The red line represents the average number of shots taken at each distance. Actually, that's not precisely correct. There are some warts in the data, and it seems reasonable that the uncertainty of assigning shot location is, on average, greater than a foot. So the red line is the average number of shots within a foot of the charted value. The blue line is the percentage of shots that are made at each distance.

This is pretty fascinating. A lot of analysts lament the death of the mid-range game, and you can see that in this chart. Fewer than half as many shots are taken between 10 and 15 feet as are taken between 20 and 25 feet. What's striking is that accuracy in the mid-range is less than it is for the closest three-point shots. One might ascribe the lack of mid-range shots to players being stupid, lazy or some other negative stereotype which gets associated with the modern game, but the conclusion could also be drawn that there's more mid-range shooting going on than there needs to be. If a player can be as accurate from 20 feet, with a little practice, as he is from 15, then why practice the 15-footers if you're just going to cheat yourself out of a point? Further evidence against the stupidity theory is the lack of shooting going on between 15 and 20 feet. Players and coaches clearly understand basic math.

Of course, there are incidental benefits to attempting two-pointers which aren't quantified in this chart. Increased free throw opportunities are the main thing, but there's also evidence of a marginal increase in offensive rebounding percentage on shorter shots. Additionally, three-point opportunities that are set up by penetration wouldn't be as plentiful if there was no threat of the penetrator making a shot in the 5-15 foot range. Even knowing this, it still makes me think that Mike Kryzyzewski, Ben Howland, Randy Bennett, Trent Johnson and Todd Bozeman have it right when they design defenses that rarely allow an open look from beyond the arc. That quintet constructs its defense to play the shot-selection game by encouraging opponents to drive to that dead zone on the floor where most players are uncomfortable hoisting a shot.

Keeping in mind that this chart reflects an average over thousands of shots, I hope it can give you an appreciation for shot selection the rest of the season. Teams taking mid-range shots--especially early in the shot clock--are just making life easy for the defense more often than not. Even someone like Michael Beasley, who by my figures is an above average mid-range shooter, is someone who should be given a 15-footer whenever he wants. If you're the opposition, that's the smart thing to do considering the other spots on the court where he can be more potent offensively.

The missing link on this chart is shots inside of five feet. There really isn't a way to separate shots off the fast break from shots in the half court, so it made the most sense to leave the shortest attempts off the graph. Just so you don't think the college game is all about three-pointers, about 62% of shots inside of five feet are converted, and they account for about 30% of all shots taken. That accuracy isn't as high for shots taken in half-court confrontations, but you'd also have to assume that the free throw benefit maxes out on shots around the rim. The bottom line here is that a team still gets more bang for its shooting buck inside of five feet than beyond 20.

The analytical world has embraced Dean Oliver's "four factors" concept, and for good reason. They explain offensive and defensive efficiency in a remarkably simple way. However, it's always bothered me how shooting typically dominates the other three factors (turnovers, rebounds and free throws) and I've dreamt of the day when it can be separated into two more manageable components: shot selection and accuracy. We're still far from having the technology to do that, but with data like this, we're getting closer.

In the meantime, I hope you now have a better idea of what quality shots really are. Most good teams are spending their allotted 35 seconds with the ball trying to get short threes or shots around the rim, and opposing defenses are trying to force shots in other locations. What I've learned is that the mid-range jumper is almost dead, but not totally. It has been kept on life support by quality defenses that force their opponents to take low-value shots. Teams that choose to take a lot of mid-range shots better be good offensive rebounders, because they are destined to rack up a low shooting percentage. The most successful teams are in the nation are maximizing the value on their shot attempts and minimizing that of their opponents.

Ken Pomeroy is an author of Basketball Prospectus. You can contact Ken by clicking here or click here to see Ken's other articles.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

OHHH MANN

my dude Fluff went for 52?!?!?

52??!

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
McKiver is the man... Dude's a beast.

Yes he is.. Reminds me a lot of Oliver Lafeyette the years we had him.. Too bad he like the rest of the team will be gone next year.. Now we just gottawait on the next crop of JC transfers...

??
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Yes he did. And it was @ that point that I turned off the TV, cut the lights out and went to sleep.

sick.gif
@@*......

I hate Mike Patrick....He sucks $+%, he doesn't know much about the game of basketball....

Gimme Bilas, Raferty, Elmore, etc.....No Mike Patrick...

DaJuan will absolutely not be here by 2010
I know he wants to go to the NBA..even after this season (that in no way should happen)

He has a lot to work on though, I expect and hope he's ready after next season...moving back to the 3 would be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom