The College Basketball Post

Hubert Davis said Maryland should be in, and said we shouldn't be? what? how can someone justify putting Maryland in and leaving us out?

Hubert Davis and Jay Bilas have us out so far.

Digger Phelps and Jimmy D_ykes have us in.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Hubert Davis said Maryland should be in, and said we shouldn't be? what? how can someone justify putting Maryland in and leaving us out?

Hubert Davis and Jay Bilas have us out so far.

Digger Phelps and Jimmy D_ykes have us in.

Because the only reason Hubie has them in is b/c they beat UNC....

Because unfortunately for you and fans of other maybe teams, your squads have left too much up in the air still to this point in the season.

I'm not saying who's more deserving of a bid if it were just one bid between the two of you, because it's close - but a case can be made either wayif you were to pick based on everything up until this point. I personally tend to give the nod to UK over Maryland as of today, but when you hit double digitsin losses you are going to have some explaining to do if you want to do dance, and you can't feel safe whatsoever until you see your name on a line.

Is Hubie maybe a little ACC biased? Probably.. but I also think people are having a hard time forgiving Kentucky's slow start, they sort of wrote them offearly and haven't taken a second look since... the committee won't do that.

Maryland beat UNC...but they lost to Ohio and American....American people...that lost is bigger than the UNC win to me. No way they should be in.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The Fire Millen sign in the background on College Gameday

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Maryland beat UNC...but they lost to Ohio and American....American people...that lost is bigger than the UNC win to me. No way they should be in.

American has an RPI of 109 right now... they are in first place in the patriot league, the league that puts out teams like Bucknell and Holy Cross into thetournament (who always give scares and upsets in the first round). Ohio is a contender in the MAC, they have an RPI of 58 which is actually right about whereMD and UK are both sitting right now, not sure why that's a huge knock on them.

Kentucky lost to Gardner Webb.. Gardner Webb is if we're comparing UK vs MD that is.. Gardner Webb is a middle of the road squad in the atlantic sun,one of the worst conferences in the country.. they have an RPI of 217.

So uh - your argument makes no sense if you're ruling teams out based on one bad loss or another... Maryland's worst losses are MUUUUUCH better than aloss to Gardner Webb...

The fact of the matter is - early losses aren't nearly as important as how you finish.. But if you're going to hold them against a team, at least beaccurate in your condemning.

[table][tr][td]
February 29, 2008
[font=times new roman, times, serif]Four-Point Play[/font]
All About Mo

by John Gasaway
[/td] [td]Printer-
friendly
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Contact
Author
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
Behold the Historic Weirdness of Texas

Thursday, my redoubtable colleague Ken Pomeroy voiced this lament: "It's always bothered me how shooting typically dominates the other three factors (turnovers, rebounds and free throws)." So true. For all the analysis we toss around here at Basketball Prospectus, this sport often comes down to a simple rule: make your shots and make the other team miss theirs. Yawn.

Well, be of good cheer, Ken! This year there's a team that's grabbed that "simple rule" by the scruff of the neck and tossed it into the dustbin of history. Take a gander at what the hep-cat Texas Longhorns have been up to in Austin:

Good Offense, 2008: Points per Possession & Effective FG Pct.

BCS conferences plus Missouri Valley
Conference games only, through Feb. 27
Code:
                 PPP    eFG pct.  UCLA             1.13    51.9Kansas           1.13    52.6Drake            1.13    53.5North Carolina   1.12    50.7Duke             1.11    53.3Kansas St.       1.11    50.5Tennessee        1.11    51.2Texas            1.10    47.8
Note that Texas doesn't shoot anywhere near as well as do their peers in this "good offense" group. In fact, the Longhorns don't even shoot as well as an average Big 12 team. Yet Rick Barnes somehow has his team scoring points at a rate that's on a par with the nation's elite offenses. How can this be?

The Longhorns are able to surmount their relatively poor shooting because they crash the offensive glass and never turn the ball over. That's easy to describe, but it's very difficult to do. In fact, Texas this year is the first team I've seen to combine these two traits, which are customarily antithetical, to such an extreme. Getting to 39 percent of your own misses while committing a turnover on just 14 percent of your possessions is simply unheard of. More to the point, it gives you a ton of shots. Teams facing the 'Horns in the tournament should forget about trying to force turnovers (ask Tennessee) and focus instead on grabbing every available defensive board.

Never Mind the Win at Butler, Drake Peaked on January 22

That was the night they won in overtime at Creighton. That was back when I was Will.i.am to Keno Davis's Obama, trumpeting the first-year coach for national coach of the year honors. If the season had ended that night, Davis would have been a shoo-in.

The last month, however, has not been kind to the Bulldogs. Yes, I know they won at Butler and as a result they basked in a fresh round of applause from national hoops writers. (At least they did until they lost at Missouri State Tuesday night.) Never mind. The applause is ill-timed and Davis knows it: Drake's defense has collapsed, suddenly and completely.

Drake Defense 2008: Opponent Points per Possession & Effective FG Pct.

Conference games only, through Feb. 27
Code:
                    Opp.     Opp.                    PPP    eFG pct.  First eight games   0.94     46.9    Last nine games     1.11     58.1
Drake's performance over the past 30-plus days is eerily and ominously reminiscent of the Bulldogs' 2007 season, when an exceptionally weak defense negated a very good offense and dragged the team down to a 6-12 finish in the Missouri Valley. They've come a long way from last year, to be sure, but for the purposes of your bracket in a few weeks, think of Drake as merely a more endearingly cuddly version of Florida or Oregon: a team that can score but is utterly helpless on D.

Is it Possible Eric Gordon Won't Win Big Ten Freshman of the Year?

Well, no, it's not. Should it be? Sure, it should at least be possible. This ain't a monarchy; let's look at the merits of the case. Gordon entered Big Ten play as a 44 percent three-point shooter, but has made just 34 percent of his threes against conference opponents. He's also been dogged by turnovers of late. The Hoosiers have been fortunate that Gordon continues to be one of the top performers in the country when it comes to getting to the line and making the freebies.

Until recently, to raise the question of Gordon's FOY credentials at all would have been laughable. Even once the question is raised, comparing him to any other candidate is tough because he's one of the few freshmen in the conference who's been asked to be his team's main weapon on offense. More often than not, that will drag your efficiency stats down. (See for example Ohio State's Kosta Koufos or Michigan's Manny Harris.) So anyone who's going to give the IU freshman a run for this honor while playing a smaller role within his own offense should beat Gordon statistically with some room to spare.

If there is such a player, it's Robbie Hummel of Purdue. Hummel doesn't get to the line anywhere near as often as Gordon but otherwise he sports stellar numbers across the board. In addition to hitting 44 percent of his threes and 54 percent of his twos, Hummel gets both offensive and defensive rebounds, dishes assists with greater frequency than Gordon, and takes better care of the ball (even allowing for his smaller role within the Boilermakers' offense). Thing is, Hummel's only now completing the transition from being just one of the guys to functioning as one of his team's main offensive weapons. If he'd been the man for a while, he'd have a defensible case for FOY honors. Since he hasn't been, right now I'd have to vote for Gordon.

One's going to be a lottery pick in 117 days--quite rightly so, given his talents. The other will continue savoring the glamour and scenic wonders of West Lafayette for the foreseeable future. Still, looking at Freshman of the Year honors not as a futures market but as an award recognizing performance during 2007-08, it's a lot closer than you might think.

Who's the National Player of the Year?

It might be Michael Beasley, of course. If he wins, it'll be because of his talent and because of the sheer volume of his production, both of which are prodigious. It won't be because of his efficiency, which has suffered as he's continued to absorb an abnormally high number of possessions for his good but not great team.

If not Beasley, then who? If there were a player who went to the line almost as often as Tyler Hansbrough, yet rebounded much better on both the offensive and defensive glass, shot much better from the field, and played an equally large role in his team's offense, he'd at least get a look right?

Decision '08
Code:
                     Off.                          Def.        Off.                     Rtng.    FTRate   eFG pct.  Reb. Pct.   Reb. Pct.    %Poss.Tyler Hansbrough     127.5     79.8      55.8      20.6        12.6        26.6Kevin Love           127.3     74.1      61.2      30.5        17.0        27.5
Just saying.

John Gasaway is an author of Basketball Prospectus. You can contact John by clicking here or click here to see John's other articles.

i'm just saying that there's no way you can put Maryland in and leave us out, no way.

Maryland

18-11 (8-6)
RPI: 59
SOS: 16
last 10: 6-4
big wins: UNC
"good" losses: UCLA, Duke
"bad" losses: no real "bad" losses

Kentucky

16-10 (10-3)
RPI: 56
SOS: 14
last 10: 9-1
big wins: Tennessee, Vanderbilt
"good" losses: UNC, Louisville, Indiana, Vanderbilt
"bad" losses: Gardner-Webb, San Diego

still got a big game vs. Tennessee

and now Jay Bilas just said Villanova should be in and we should be out
eyes.gif

Villanova

17-10 (7-8 )
RPI: 61
SOS: 49
last 10: 4-6
big wins: Pitt, UCONN
"good" losses: Pitt, Georgetown
"bad" losses: NC State, DePaul, Rutgers

weak OOC schedule, play Louisville tomorrow.

some other bubble teams' resumes as of right now:

Syracuse

17-11 (7-8 )
RPI: 50
SOS: 11
big wins: Georgetown
"good" losses: UCONN, Georgetown, Louisville
"bad" losses: South Florida

weak OOC schedule (as usual)

Oklahoma

18-10 (6-7)
RPI: 32
SOS: 9
last 10: 5-5
big wins: don't really see any "big" wins
"good" losses: Memphis, Texas, Kansas
"bad" losses: Colorado

Jay Bilas is really starting to piss me off. now he got Arkansas (who we beat) and Arizona State in.

Arkansas

18-9 (7-6)
RPI: 45
SOS: 54
last 10: 5-5
big wins: none
"good" losses: Tennessee
"bad" losses: Providence, Appalachian State, South Carolina, Georgia

play Vandy today.

Arizona State

17-10 (7-8 )
RPI: 74
SOS: 63
last 10: 3-7
big wins: Stanford, Xavier
"good" losses: UCLA
"bad" losses: Illinois

weak OOC schedule

i'm just saying that there's no way you can put Maryland in and leave us out, no way.

I see what you're saying - but I still think that wording is kinda messed up to say. More than likely, there's going to be a scenario where one teamgets in over a pretty identical looking team... that's just the nature of trying to pick between the 65th and 66th best team to get in... or even the 65thand 70th in some cases.

UK needs to keep handling businesss. period.

Honestly, no Pat Patterson might mean no dice for Kentucky... On the bubble as it was, losing your best player is not going to bode well with the committee...They are going to have to show they can still be really competitive over these last few games, or they aren't getting in.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Honestly, no Pat Patterson might mean no dice for Kentucky...On the bubble as it was, losing your best player is not going to bode well with the committee...

that's what i'm afraid of. but he's not our "best" player, our most important player no doubt, but Joe Crawford is still our bestplayer. there's an article in my paper today about this...i'll find it and post it.

i'm still amazed that Jay Bilas can put Arizona State, Arkansas, and Villanova in and leave us out.

No Patterson means a tougher tourney sell for Kentucky

I expected the University of Kentucky men's basketball team to have a reasonable place in the debate about the final three or four teams that deserve an invitation to the NCAA Tournament.

I expected the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee to be tormented by trying to judge a UK team that lost at home to Gardner-Webb but beat Tennessee and a group that lost at home to San Diego but built the second-best record in the Southeastern Conference.

I expected UK to complete its surge from a 6-7 start by finishing 12-4 in the SEC. That, coupled with a win or two in the SEC Tournament, would force the committee to think favorably about UK.

All that changed yesterday.
'A punch in the gut'
Now the committee has another chilling factor it must consider about the Wildcats -- Patrick Patterson, UK's most ferocious and productive inside player -- will not play another minute this season. A stress fracture in his left ankle has ended his freshman year.
Now coach Billy Gillispie and his players have a more daunting assignment: convincing the committee that Patterson's absence should not terminate the talk about the Cats making the tournament.
That won't be easy -- not with Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida and the SEC Tournament looming. In fact, it will be as difficult as anything UK has achieved this season. Without Patterson, the temptation will be to say the Cats are without hope.

"It's definitely a factor," ESPN analyst Jay Bilas said. "The team without Patterson will be the team that Kentucky would take to the NCAA Tournament. That's the way the committee looks at it. It's very unfortunate. It's like a punch in the gut."

It might be worse. Now Gillispie's team must show the committee two things.

The first is winning at least three or maybe four more games to upgrade its NCAA credentials and doing it without Patterson, a relentless force who averaged 16.4 points, 7.7 rebounds and 35.7 minutes per game.

The second is convincing the committee that a UK team without Patterson is a team that could win in the tournament. Hmmmmm.

Just as the committee is supposed to consider injuries that a team overcame in the early part of the season, it is also called to judge a team by the players it will -- or will not -- take into the tournament.

Patterson won't play. Now, in the next 15 days, Kentucky must convince the committee that it is an NCAA Tournament team with Mark Coury, A.J. Stewart, Jared Carter and others taking Patterson's minutes.
Committee considerations
The comparison is hardly exact, but it is worth remembering. During the 1999-2000 season, Cincinnati was clearly the nation's best team.

The Bearcats went 16-0 in Conference USA and roared into the league tournament with a 28-2 record.

Then forward Kenyon Martin broke his right fibula in the quarterfinals of the C-USA Tournament against Saint Louis. The NCAA selection committee reacted by handing a No. 2 seed to a Cincinnati team that had clearly earned a No. 1 seed.

"Kentucky had put itself in line with a lot of other teams to be considered for the tournament," Bilas said. "You could argue about whether they deserved to be in or out of the tournament. But you couldn't argue that their kids had battled their tails off during conference play."

Now Kentucky will have to battle more relentlessly than it battled in January and February if it wants to edge past New Mexico, Syracuse, Alabama Birmingham, Ohio State, Maryland, Western Kentucky, Villanova, Southern Illinois and the others scrambling for the final at-large openings.

Now Kentucky will have to convince the committee it can win against teams like Tennessee, South Carolina and Florida without Patterson.

there's still a few weeks, so a lot can happen. but like i said, it'll be interesting. i think we've done enough and we're nowat the point where we need to just make sure we don't screw it up (by not winning another game.) if we were to finish 2nd in the SEC (where we're atnow,) we'd get Mississippi first round of the SEC tourney, whom we just beat.

i'll feel real comfortable if the teams i mentioned earlier lose some more and Drake, Butler, and St. Mary's win their conference tourneys.

One big "bubble game" today at 1 PM Central time...

Texas A&M at Oklahoma

I'm sure there are a few more big games for some bubble teams today, but that's really the one that I know of for sure right now.

17-11 (7-8 )

Wrong.

Tom Brennan and Doug Gottlieb both just said we're out, yet Arizona State is still in.

Gottlieb said Ole Miss is out because (something like) "you can't lose 8 out of 11 conference games and get in."

someone remind Doug that ASU's lost 8 of their last 11 conference games.

eyes.gif

Don't listen to Gottlieb. He will tell you every team from the Pac and Big12 are in and every team from the BE is out
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by petey yup

17-11 (7-8 )

Wrong.

instead of just saying "wrong" prove it to be wrong.

Don't listen to Gottlieb. He will tell you every team from the Pac and Big12 are in and every team from the BE is out
laugh.gif

Someone's just bitter that he was right about Syracuse last year
grin.gif

Tom Brennan and Doug Gottlieb both just said we're out, yet Arizona State is still in.

Gottlieb said Ole Miss is out because (something like) "you can't lose 8 out of 11 conference games and get in."
someone remind Doug that ASU's lost 8 of their last 11 conference games.

I don't understand their reasoning at all... ASU's RPI is so bad - they played the 307th toughest OOC schedule, they're 3-7 their last 10.. Theyhad one good week in Feb, a win over Xavier and that's it... i like their squad, but what have they actually done ya know?
nerd.gif

Check the OOC SOS.
how bout i just look at the actually schedules from the last five years....

3 ranked teams, and none of them were in the top 20.

Someone's just bitter that he was right about Syracuse last year
Him along with everyone else said Cuse was IN u goof.

"even our biggest critic Mr. Gottlieb had us in"
-Boeheim.

Check the OOC SOS.
Upon further review, they only left New York one time OOC... And the one time they left was for Virginia...
roll.gif

Play a damn road game.

how bout i just look at the actually schedules from the last five years....
How bout I'm talking this season, and the OOC was strong AND that's with UVA not being anywhere near as good as they were supposed to be.

Back
Top Bottom