The College Basketball Post

Would not wanna play Xavier come march....

My dude Drew Lavender
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Collinson shoulda bounced too

and sadly, Roy Hibbert is lookin like the same situation
I never saw and will never see what people saw in Roy Hibbert....high school, college.....dude is a stiff.

And to be fair to Collison he is still recovering from his knee injury and isnt anywhere close to 100% but he is so TO prone.

And another thing about Westbrook. The kid is a 19 year old sophomore...his birthday is in November...making him younger than alot of the top freshmen in thecountry...so age wise he should be a freshman.

And Memphis is easy to beat...just hack the whole team to +#%% and make them shoot free throws
roll.gif

awesome comeback win for the Heels.

it's been a great week for UNC, having three top-30 players (2009) commit too. they're all PF's though.

He could be a very good PG....

I truly believe that UCLA is better with him out there rather than Collison. The beginning of the year was the first time he has ever played point guard and he did a good job.

You don't really get to see it this year though because he is the 4th or 5th option on the team. Next year the team will be his.
I gotta agree with you there bballah...
Westbrook definitely showed his development from last year to this year... also the last time I checked he was leading the Pac-10 in assists at over 5.5/ gameand he's playing good D. While he's not a natural point, he definitely has the tools to develop into one.
Not bad for a guy who was only a mid-major prospect until his senior year @ Leuzinger where Kerry Keating found him and got him to go to UCLA

Next year I expect Russell to be back, but you never know. The backcourt will be awfully crowded with incoming guys like Jrue Holiday, Jerime Anderson andMalcolm Lee.
And Collison is still only a junior, so who knows he may return or he may not.

I definitely think Westbrook could be a top 20 pick next year. However, the NBA scouts will always find a weakness. Too short, not strong enough, not a goodshooter, etc, so he could possibly fall to the 2nd. But he has something that always seems to be thrown around. Potential. Probably the most overused wordin the draft, but I think some team would definitely take a good look at him in the 1st if he continues to develop this year and next.

Wheres Cam at?

Pitt is DONE, LMAO....that was karma for Fields gettin off without a suspension from earlier

but it is a shame because they were better than what they were last year without Gray and with Blair
tired.gif

i cant even watch romone at point..it dissapoints me extremely..he is NOT point material
tired.gif

Nah he's not..when is Levance back early march?

bballah...with how you mentioned with Westbrook and age...

Roy just turned 21 as a senior.

He has played pretty bad this year, but during the BET and the NCAA's last year and the year before he looked great

Played right with Oden, dominated Aaron Gray.

He's not athletic or quick at all..but he has been a very good passer and really does impact the game, and 1 on 1 he still is very tough to stop

So He seems to play his best against top competition so maybe he can turn it around in Big East play

But he's fallen to a pick in the late teens, to 20's now, when he was a lock for the lotto.

He's just not agressive at all right now and isn't a good rebounder

Good things about him (and I hate to always say stats don't tell the story with Gtown players but it's the truth)

- Constantly draws doubles

- Passes very well

- We lead the country in points allowed and FG %.....no, he's not a great defender, but he is a huge presence

I won't get into it, but for him, the loss of Jeff Green has been HUGE

To sum it up, he's 7'2 with some game. He'll have a nice career but certainly nothing spectacular and should have left last year

Originally Posted by Mr Subliminals

Wheres Cam at?

Pitt is DONE, LMAO....that was karma for Fields gettin off without a suspension from earlier

but it is a shame because they were better than what they were last year without Gray and with Blair
tired.gif

i cant even watch romone at point..it dissapoints me extremely..he is NOT point material
tired.gif

I never wish injury on any player, especially one having a break out season... but it serves you right that you guys are gonna struggle for making merock this monstrosity
smh.gif

My!$+#$$ Malcolm Grant (next door neighbor) put in work yesterday against Pitt. I'm going to be cheering for him when they come to the Dome.

YO!
Do yall UNC fans worry about this year again not having a slasher that can get to the rim?
Worry? Hells naw. We have smart ball players. And I'm more than pleased with the guys we have suiting up every night. DF!!!

I won't get into it, but for him, the loss of Jeff Green has been HUGE

To sum it up, he's 7'2 with some game. He'll have a nice career but certainly nothing spectacular and should have left last year

Oh yeah. Green leaving has really killed his game. Now the focus is all on him...a lot of his weaknesses where masked last year with Green being there.

You mentioned his aggressiveness...Its not just that....he doesnt have that "I want to kill you" mentality that great players have. And thatssomething you either have or you dont, you cant really teach that. There are times when he is out there and he just doesnt want it...you can tell.

And I've never understood how you can be 7 ft+ and not grab 10 boards a game.....you can do a standing reach and be inches from the rim, but you cant grabrebounds? Its just him not wanting it.

At this point I can't disagree with you

and also you said it'll be WEstbrooks teams next year...your brother is gone?

Originally Posted by allen3xis

At this point I can't disagree with you

and also you said it'll be WEstbrooks teams next year...your brother is gone?

I meant guard wise....he will be the main guy. He will run a lot more point guard next year, along with Jrue Holiday, and get 10+ shots every night.

He is behind Collison and Shipp currently.....both of them, im sure, will be gone after this year.

January 7, 2008
Back and Forth
Near-Miss Edition

by John Gasaway and Ken Pomeroy
Printer-
friendly

John: Yo, hoops nation! Ken and John here, both still wearing pointy hats from all the New Year's frivolity. We're still feeling boisterous because ourlong national nightmare is almost over and that creaky anachronism known as college football is just about put to bed. In the meantime, the hoops action isarriving fast and furious. Take, for instance, last night's thrilling OT win by North Carolina at Clemson. What's your takeaway on this one, K-man?

Ken: For starters, can we at least acknowledge that based on what we know to date, UNC is not the best team in the country? The D legitimately has some leaksthis season, and until those get fixed, I have serious concerns about whether this team goes farther in the postseason than it did in '07.

John: You know, this was a great game that Carolina happened to win. I know this will come as cold comfort to Clemson fans, but to me the real news coming outof the game is that the Tigers are legitimately one of the three best teams in the ACC. They didn't have to play over their heads at all to stay with theHeels. With this team Oliver Purnell has length (the box score doesn't do show it, but Trevor Booker and James Mays made life miserable for TylerHansbrough), speed and outside shooting. They'll not only make the tournament, they'll get a high seed. Unlike a certain team in Raleigh....

Ken: Yes, that really was a terrific game in Clemson. Perhaps, the least terrific game of the weekend was NC State's 50-43 win over Presbyterian. If thereever was such a thing as a "moral defeat," this was it. The Pack was up just three going into the final media timeout against a D-I newbie that'snow 1-18. I think there was a consensus this season that State had moved on from the Herb Sendek era just fine, but now I'm not so sure. These guys weresupposed to be at least battling for an at-large, and possibly doing more if J.J. Hickson panned out. Well, Hickson has panned out, and yet this may be theworst team in the conference right now. Nobody's pining for Sendek to come back, but I know there's one place where he's appreciated.

John: Ah, yes, the perennial hoops hotbed of Tempe. I don't know if people there have noticed yet but Sendek is either a genius or lucky. The Sun Deviloffense last year was one of the worst in major-conference hoops. This year so far it's been one of the best in the entire nation. One is tempted to callthem a lil' Georgetown, but they shoot a lot more threes than the Hoyas do. Anyway, you could make a case that James Harden is the most underpublicizedfreshman in the country. He plays as large a role in the ASU offense as Eric Gordon does in the Indiana offense, his efficiency compares quite favorably toGordon's, yet somehow no one has heard of him. Plus, he records steals and defensive boards. Hoops nation, give this kid, and his team, some love.

Ken: The ASU story is truly an inspiring one. After their first eight possessions of the season, they trailed Illinois 20-0. One couldn't have been toooptimistic that those offensive woes were going to be solved this season. Yet they've turned things around big time. They still need a few road wins to getthe street cred demanded by all the kids today, but that demolition of Xavier in mid-December is going to look real good to the committee.

On the flip side, a once-promising season by the Illini is turning into a train wreck. They've suffered three consecutive home losses to teams named State,and when two of those are fronted by "Tennessee" and "Penn," that's not good for a coach's health. Not to rub it in, but somescoring from the backcourt would be nice, although I'm not sure even Eric Gordon would make this a top-25 team.

John: My advanced basketball analysis skills tell me: when you can't make baskets, it's hard to win. Still, you don't have to be lights-out to be apleasant surprise. Catch Minnesota lately?

Ken: You know, I've yet to figure out how to get the miracle of the Big Ten Network, so that's holding me back. It appears Tubby Smith had the defensein place to, well, make things uncomfortable for the Izzone over the weekend, which has to impress Gopher fans. Tell me more, my sage Midwest correspondent!

John: Tubby can definitely get this team an at-large. True, Michigan State spent much of the night shooting itself in the foot by turning the ball over. (Manyof the turnovers were the result of offensive fouls, one of which constituted the single worst call I've yet seen this year, assessed against MarquiseGray. I vow here and now to deduct one turnover from Gray's total for the rest of the season. It was that ridiculous.) That being said, the Gophers looklike a completely different team than last year. That's interesting, of course, because, aside from the occasional Blake Hoffarber, it's the exact sameplayers that we saw last season. Tubby has this team making its mark in the areas where effort trumps skill: steals and offensive boards. They still can'tshoot very well, but they're doing what they can and the result is surprisingly good. One thing I saw before the opening tip of that game: with thestarters on the floor and the rest of the team seated, Smith went along his own bench and shook the hand of every reserve. I know he took a lot of grief atKentucky and, hey, by the end he looked a little burned-out to me, too. Even so, he really does strike one as a class act. I think it's safe to say that,unlike his successor in Lexington, there will be no ubiquitous rumors concerning Smith's activities after-hours.

Ken: I don't think Tubby has any regrets about his job switch. One Big Ten team I have seen a lot of is Wisconsin. Were I not the person I am, putting somuch stock in the numbers and such, I wouldn't be very impressed with how this team plays. They look like they're a notch below Michigan State andIndiana, but the stats say they'll compete for a Big Ten title. If Brian Butch or Trevon Hughes go down for an extended period, then all bets are off, butfor now this team presents the classic "winning ugly" profile that's destined to keep them underrated. Their offense thrives off rebounding andthey prevent the opposition from scoring as well as any team in the nation. The AP folks say they're not a top-20 team, but I find that impossible tobelieve.

John: I don't think the Rodney Dangerfield treatment will last for long. I'm feeling good about my prediction (for which I took some grief, by the way)that the Badgers will share the Big Ten regular season title with Michigan State, in part because Wisconsin doesn't have to play in East Lansing this year.Even more important, the Badgers and Kansas have been arguably the two best defensive teams in the nation so far this season. Bo Ryan's team makes theiropponent miss, they get the rebound and they don't foul. It's not real complex but it is very hard to overcome. Now, that's enough about theforlorn little conference in fly-over country. Talk to me about the Big East. Who wants to win this thing?

Ken: I think you still have to consider Georgetown the most likely option, but they're in the same boat UNC was in before Sunday night. We really don'tknow much about them because we haven't seen them enough against quality competition. Should the G-Men slip a little, then we could have a bit of chaos.The kind of chaos where we have a five- or even six-loss league champ. Marquette has looked solid enough to compete for a title. Of course, they caught theMountaineers in Morgantown yesterday and lost. No shame in that--WVU could certainly get through the league at 13-5. Then there's Notre Dame. People arecatching on that a certain imaginary friend of mine named Luke Harangody is an offensive force. Also Mike Brey is starting to fall into the category of systemcoaches like Mark Few. He doesn't need great players, just some good ones to create a great offense year after year.

John: The unknown is Louisville. In the preseason, when everyone thought David Padgett and Derrick Caracter would be playing together, big things wereexpected. Now Padgett and Caracter are indeed playing together. Will they be as good as they were supposed to be? Losing at Cincinnati wasn't a good signbut, then again, that was Padgett's first game back.

Ken: I agree, it's premature to count out the Cards with Padgett back. Defending Freedom Hall against the Mountaineers this Thursday would be a good way towipe out the memory of the loss to the Bearcats.

John: Huggins vs. Pitino. They do have some coaches in that conference, don't they? I will be set-side. Hopefully they don't start up a Big EastNetwork before then.

Ken: I predict there will come a day when every conference has its own network. Fortunately, we have a few years before that happens. Let's wind this thingdown for another week, shall we?

John: Or two, yes. Until the day when there's an Atlantic Sun Network, adios, amigo.

Ken: Vaya con dios, Juan.

John Gasaway is an author of Basketball Prospectus. You can contact John by clicking here or click here to see John's other articles.
Ken Pomeroy is an author of Basketball Prospectus. You can contact Ken by clicking here or click here to see Ken's other articles.

laugh.gif
eek.gif
@ Savannah St scoring 4 pts in the 2nd half against KSU

I swear I can't understand that. You'd figure if you just chucked up 20 DEEP 3 pters in a half you could at least hit 2
laugh.gif

I really was wrong with Michigan prior to the year..I thought they'd be decent

those players just don't fit

I'm an Eric Gordon believer now, I really didn't watch him much until tonight, but he's defenitely the goods.

That Indiana team can do some damage in March too if the role players play well

Roy played well tonight, hopefully more of the same vs UCONN saturday

Dominic James....welcome him back for his senior year

This year, yeah probably

but I'm takin Rose at the next level

then Gordon then Mayo

but after those 3 bounce after the year

Austin Freeman is gona be the best left for the guards...so smooth and poised.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

John: Ah, yes, the perennial hoops hotbed of Tempe. I don't know if people there have noticed yet but Sendek is either a genius or lucky. The Sun Devil offense last year was one of the worst in major-conference hoops. This year so far it's been one of the best in the entire nation. One is tempted to call them a lil' Georgetown, but they shoot a lot more threes than the Hoyas do. Anyway, you could make a case that James Harden is the most underpublicized freshman in the country. He plays as large a role in the ASU offense as Eric Gordon does in the Indiana offense, his efficiency compares quite favorably to Gordon's, yet somehow no one has heard of him. Plus, he records steals and defensive boards. Hoops nation, give this kid, and his team, some love.
pimp.gif

it was only a matter of time before james got some major recognition.

lol Dre.

I hate talkin about Gtown players because of that, but with him, its the truth

His bball IQ is through the roof

Jeff Green and Wallace started as freshman out of necessity...

Freeman came in and replace Pat Ewing JR already in the lineup

I can't say enough good things about him after tonight

Basically, Jeff Green with a more competitive streak just came back to Gtown as a guard

Back
Top Bottom