The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by rolla808

I just hope my baby boilermakers can keep it up and not let winning get to their heads. All I can say is that RPI is just ridiculous to me it's worse than the BCS the way some of the rankings are.

Just because you don't like how it may or may not reflect on your team doesn't mean it's not a fair assessment... the RPI is one of the betternumbers out there, it's unbiased and generally speaking it's pretty damn accurate by about this point in the season. I'm willing to bet that youcan't even explain the basic gist of the formula to me without looking it up first. (not that i can know for sure whether or not you cheated, but the factis, you wouldn't badmouth the number if you knew where it came from... at least not logically).

Clemson and Miami will probably get us 2 more bids
Which is exactly our point - Clemson and Miami are two pretty shakey teams, and they're your 3rd and 4th best as of today. But yet you thinkthe league is solid from top to bottom?
laugh.gif
I never understood all this"conference pride" people get... the only reason you need your conference mates to be good is to help your SOS - beyond that, screw 'em,they're your biggest enemies. Be honest with yourself, the ACC is DOWN this year.. deal with it.

edit: I should restate myself a little here... The ACC is definitely down... but they do have the least amount of cupcakes in their league, I guess I willgive them that. However, there are really only two teams in the league that are worth a damn right now. So there's a backhanded compliment I suppose..but other conferences have 3-6 very solid teams, whereas the ACC has 2 and then a bunch of wannabes. Their overall conference ranking will be 1st, butthat's because they don't have a team like oregon (rpi in the mid 200's
sick.gif
) dragging their numbers down.

Yeah, the ACC is probably the 4th best conference out there this year, isn't it? They've got two really good teams and a bunch of mediocre teams thatreally don't have much 'late season upside' at this point... The Big East, Pac10 and BigXii are all clearly better top-to-bottom this year, IMO...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Yeah, the ACC is probably the 4th best conference out there this year, isn't it? They've got two really good teams and a bunch of mediocre teams that really don't have much 'late season upside' at this point... The Big East, Pac10 and BigXii are all clearly better top-to-bottom this year, IMO...

Unfortunately I will have to agree.....

But at least my team is one of the top two up to this point....

At least we aren't C-USA....
laugh.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Yeah, the ACC is probably the 4th best conference out there this year, isn't it? They've got two really good teams and a bunch of mediocre teams that really don't have much 'late season upside' at this point... The Big East, Pac10 and BigXii are all clearly better top-to-bottom this year, IMO...

Unfortunately I will have to agree.....

But at least my team is one of the top two up to this point....

At least we aren't C-USA....
laugh.gif
sick.gif

Normally I'd try to defend the conference just to play devil's advocate.. but uh... yeah they're bad
laugh.gif

Kansas all the way to #5 in the ESPN Poll? That's kinda rough. UCLA in front of them with 2 losses? I'm pretty sure the AP will be different...

ESPN/USA Today Poll
1. Memphis (31) 21-0 775
2. Duke 19-1 727
3. North Carolina 21-1 709
4. UCLA 20-2 669
5. Kansas 21-1 668
6. Georgetown 18-2 626
7. Tennessee 19-2 590
8. Wisconsin 18-3 517
9. Stanford 18-3 504
10. Michigan State 19-3 466
11. Butler 19-2 453
12. Texas 17-4 391
13. Indiana 18-3 364
14. Xavier 18-4 338
15. Drake 20-1 334
16. Marquette 16-4 317
17. Washington State 17-4 310
18. Texas A&M 18-4 227
19. Connecticut 16-5 192
20. Vanderbilt 18-4 121
21. Notre Dame 16-4 107
22. Florida 18-4 106
23. Saint Mary's 18-3 96
24. Kansas State 15-5 91
25. Pittsburgh 17-5 72
Others Receiving Votes
Rhode Island 69, Purdue 41, Mississippi 40, Arkansas 29, Arizona 21, UNLV 17, Mississippi State 16, Louisville 15, Baylor 15, Gonzaga 10, Clemson 9, USC 8,Miami (FL) 3, Dayton 3, Brigham Young 3, California 3, Villanova 2, South Alabama 1.

C-USA is weak that is why Memphis is still undefeated... If they played in the Pac-10 they would have at least 3 losses.

I think Stanford is very good...with Brook, they don't lose to Siena early on.

and then they lost on the road to Oregon and home to UCLA..

Hill, Lopez's and Goods is a nice group

Vitale back for Wednesday...makes sense
laugh.gif
sick.gif

I woulda liked Raftery and Bilas on the call

2. Duke 19-1 727
3. North Carolina 21-1 709
should be another great one from the tobbacco road rivalry, i just hope duke can pull it out..i have to hear so much when we lose cause i talk somuch %##$.
laugh.gif

C-USA is weak that is why Memphis is still undefeated... If they played in the Pac-10 they would have at least 3 losses.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious!

Go Heels
pimp.gif

Good looks allen3xis on the poll. I'm at school and espn.com is blocked
indifferent.gif
, but SI is unblocked. And SI does not have the updatedrankings.

Any word yet if Lawson will play or not?

from Foxsports...(I'd like to see both teams at full strength, but this game isn't important in the long run, I'd sit him)

Ty Lawson's left ankle isn't broken, but North Carolina coach Roy Williams doesn't feel confident that his starting point guard will be able to play Wednesday at home against Duke.

"Right now I don't think the chances are real good," Williams said. "I don't mind going out on a limb."

Williams said X-Rays came back negative after Lawson suffered a high ankle sprain on Sunday night early in the overtime win against Florida State.

Lawson, who is averaging 13.6 points and 5.7 assists per game this season, won't practice today and Williams said he'll have a better idea afterpractice on Tuesday.

With backup Bobby Frasor out for the season after a torn ACL in late-December, senior Quinton Thomas will get the brunt of the minutes if Lawson is unableto play against the Blue Devils.

After Lawson left four minutes into the game, Thomas went the rest of the way against Florida State and finished with nine points, six assists and fiverebounds in 36 minutes.

"I don't feel real good about him playing," Williams said of Lawson. "But we'll have to wait and see."

New Bracketology out..

Uconn up to a #4 seed

BE still with 8 in, just with WVU coming back in and SHU out

GMU and Ohio now in meaning a couple more conferences now with 2 teams in....

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm sure petey would be wantin that set up too if they gota be a 9 seed.

It's nothin against Duke, they've been great this year and have done what they needed to do.

But given the options of Memphis, Kansas, UNC, UCLA or Duke...please give me Duke

sidenote...I wouldn't wana see Kenny George and his guards as a #14

Cuse will not be a 9 seed, definitely better then that. But indeed I would like Duke as a #1. Ideally, Duke as a #1 and Consin as a #2 would be great
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom