Scarface
Ice Cube
Ghostface
G Rap
KRS
Rakim
Em
Pimp C

Off the top he's not better than any one of them. Part of this is generational or if you listen to **** before the skinny jean era. A lot of 25 and under dudes think Wayne is a God. People that remember the 90's ain't gon put him in no top 10.

I'm 26...big fan of 90s rap...(Wayne was a late 90s rapper and early 00s rapper to me) and still have Wayne in my top 10.

It depends on criteria you use though...and of course...generation. Because while I recognize KRS One and Rakim as being great rappers...guys like Kool G rap or whatever don't connect with me.

But the fact that you can include Wayne in your top possible 20 says a lot about him, and his impact.

Personally, he's up there...and underrated as a technical rapper. But I won't trip if dudes don't have him in their personal convo. Just dope to see him get some recognition from OG's....because at one point....he was THAT NICE, and that's when the majority of the world didn't know it.

I don't dislike Wayne because of his style or what he does outside of music. I dislike him because his music is very average. Son be saying a lot of nothing with a couple hot punch lines. I would never put him in my top 20

Let me spit some vagina eating, kill you and toilet bowl references over and over. **** that noise.

You think he rap better than Beanie Sigel? **** no. Jadakiss? **** no. DMX? **** no. Pusha T? **** no

Easily not in the top 20. You tell me he's in your ten and I'm assuming you got into rap late or you're a kid.

Last edited:
I don't dislike Wayne because of his style or what he does outside of music. I dislike him because his music is very average. Son be saying a lot of nothing with a couple hot punch lines. I would never put him in my top 20.

You think he rap better than Beanie Sigel? **** no. Jadakiss? **** no. DMX? **** no

DMX is in my top 10. Beanie just outside...Jada in my top 20. Wayne is RIGHT there with them. No gassing.

Dude could really rap at one point man.

So tell me right now that Wayne is better than Jadakiss, X and Sigel.

Better than Jada and Siegel.

Not better than X to me. Although, Wayne's longevity >>> X. I just prefer DMX to Wayne.

But Wayne really isn't far off. Dude was dope for a nice stretch.

I stopped listening to Wayne after 500 Degreez.

I stopped checking his music after Carter 3.

So no.

Wayne was the first rapper i heard people say flow was more important than lyrics. People were always telling me about his flow and swag, never his lyrics. He's the first legend of the trash era. He's the first average lyricist to be crowned great. He's basically responsible for everyone lowering the bar year by year in rap and getting crowned for it. Lyricists were out the door once he blew up.

Last edited:
Seems like there's two extremes, either you rocked with Wayne the long way or didn't rock with him at all

With that being said, I was a fan of Wayne's music from the Hot Boyz era up until Carter 3 dropped. 

He is not Top 10 or 15 or 20. I forever will defend his rapping abilities, but he was never GREAT.

Now in terms of flow, that boy up there with the best of em. 

I'm 26...big fan of 90s rap...(Wayne was a late 90s rapper and early 00s rapper to me) and still have Wayne in my top 10.

It depends on criteria you use though...and of course...generation. Because while I recognize KRS One and Rakim as being great rappers...guys like Kool G rap or whatever don't connect with me.

But the fact that you can include Wayne in your top possible 20 says a lot about him, and his impact.

Personally, he's up there...and underrated as a technical rapper. But I won't trip if dudes don't have him in their personal convo. Just dope to see him get some recognition from OG's....because at one point....he was THAT NICE, and that's when the majority of the world didn't know it.
The bolded part is where Top 10, Top 20, Top whatever lists can get confusing. 

It's hard to deny what peeps like Rakim, Kane, Kool G, KRS, Slick Rick, etc. have done for the culture. They created the blueprint for current rappers. However, if you weren't around for them, then it's hard for modern listeners to put them in their Top lists. That's no shade to them, it's just what happens if you didn't grow up listening to those artists. 

Like @Magic1978  said, that's why it makes sense to do top for a given era. To some (including myself) putting Wayne before Jadakiss sounds absurd. Jada been at it for years and has been crushing features from the beginning. But I can also respect it because of the work that Wayne put in and how much buzz he had in the mid 2000s. So in the end, you really have to qualify these Top 10 lists with some criteria, whether it's by era, best punchlines, best features, etc. Otherwise it's damn near impossible to have a *perfect* list. Then again, part of the fun is to see where people's minds are at. 

I'm 28 so we the same generation. You might wanna give his stuff a listen. If you like Coke/mafia rap G Rap is that _. One the best spitters ever. His flow don't sound dated or nothing.

Last edited:
Seems like there's two extremes, either you rocked with Wayne the long way or didn't rock with him at all

With that being said, I was a fan of Wayne's music from the Hot Boyz era up until Carter 3 dropped. 

He is not Top 10 or 15 or 20. I forever will defend his rapping abilities, but he was never GREAT.

Now in terms of flow, that boy up there with the best of em. 

He would probably make my top 15-20. The problem with Wayne even though his flow was sick, energy was great, most of his music was about nothing. It was p*****, money, weed 85% of the time. And every blue moon he had a Trouble or Hustler Music. That's why I love Carter 2 cuz his songs had direction. Once 08 hit dude just started saying a bunch of random dumb ****. He ain't dropped a good project in like 7 years.

I will always give Wayne his credit though for rebuilding Cash Money. People forget how cold they got when Juvie left. Everybody left. From like 01-04 they was fading. Then Wayne went on that crazy run, made them hot again and that's why they got Drake and Nicki.

Like dude said, y'all letting post 07 Wayne cloud your judgement

You can't ignore 7 years of trash though. Wayne was good/maybe great from 04 - 07. That's only 3 years. What helps him is the amount of material he put out in those years but his peak ain't top 10.

Last edited:
:lol:

I don't dislike Wayne because of his style or what he does outside of music. I dislike him because his music is very average. Son be saying a lot of nothing with a couple hot punch lines. I would never put him in my top 20

Let me spit some vagina eating, kill you and toilet bowl references over and over. **** that noise.

You think he rap better than Beanie Sigel? **** no. Jadakiss? **** no. DMX? **** no. Pusha T? **** no

Easily not in the top 20. You tell me he's in your ten and I'm assuming you got into rap late or you're a kid.

Exactly

Wayne is king of the simple punchlines. He has a Tupac like quality in charisma that he is saying more than he is.

He's not even JR Writer or Cassidy to me

Much less Fab or Banks

damn no love for wayne i see
laugh.gif
  my late teens early 20s it was nothing but wayne n guwop thus solidifying their place in my top 5
happy.gif

:lol:
Exactly

Wayne is king of the simple punchlines. He has a Tupac like quality in charisma that he is saying more than he is.

He's not even JR Writer or Cassidy to me

Much less Fab or Banks

One of the most disrespectful things i've seen in this post :lol:

Wayne's been able to do everything well in his career, Longjevity, Lyrics, Flow, Charisma, Melody, Beat Selection, Catalog of Music.... he's a lot more complete than most artist as far as other aspects, so when thinking of Top 10 i don't see how he's not there.

Kiss is hovering around top 10 IMO but i think if i'm taking everything Wayne has done as a whole vs everything Jada has... Kiss has the more standout Verses, but Wayne's catalog is more enjoyable.

Last edited:
the idea that something has to be complex to be good is always a rediculous argument

drink champs got the streets going crazy

they not on there talking astrophysics

Wayne was always one of my favorite artists, and I definitely found a new respect for him once I got into songwriting. Pick up any technical books on lyrics, and you will see strategies discussed that Wayne does better than 90% of rappers, past or present.

Not to mention some of the things he does are directly influenced by greats (Jay-Z, Andre 3k, etc.) and he gets crucified for it while they are crowned
laugh.gif

Wayne was always one of my favorite artists, and I definitely found a new respect for him once I got into songwriting. Pick up any technical books on lyrics, and you will see strategies discussed that Wayne does better than 90% of rappers, past or present.

Not to mention some of the things he does are directly influenced by greats (Jay-Z, Andre 3k, etc.) and he gets crucified for it while they are crowned :lol:

I agree but explain more

Back
Top Bottom