The Combat Jack Show Thread

Wayne was always one of my favorite artists, and I definitely found a new respect for him once I got into songwriting. Pick up any technical books on lyrics, and you will see strategies discussed that Wayne does better than 90% of rappers, past or present.

Not to mention some of the things he does are directly influenced by greats (Jay-Z, Andre 3k, etc.) and he gets crucified for it while they are crowned :lol:

Dude is MAAAAD underrated as a technical rapper. Specifically during the Squad up to Carter 2 era. The thing with Wayne is.....the image of him is cristalized in two distinct eras for the majority of his fans and detractors.

Wayne's detractors see him as a young member of the hot boy.....then they see the lollipop, rebirth, punch line, mainstream Wayne from 2008 onward. Majority of Wayne's fans came on after Carter 2....going on to Carter 3 to present....so THATS the Wayne they now.

Problem is, they miss out on the truly prime Wayne...when he was dropping great mixtapes, albums and freestyles. The detractors will overlook it and the fans will feel it's dated...but that's when he truly was at his best.

I'll say it over and over again....what he lacked in "substance"...he more than made up for in technical rapping ability.

I think it's more like it's age group. That person who got you in to rap or was your favorite when you were young as the one you grew up as your favorite, sort of like basketball player.

I know a lot of people that love Mase and love his albums. They're normally in a certain age bracket.

I listened to Wayne as a adult. As an adult Wayne doesn't impress me. If Wayne were from Philly would he get praised? If he were from Brooklyn would he get praised? He would just be another rapper. He's not even top five from the south to me.

I never thought Juelz was a great rapper, and nobody ever thought why would Wayne do an album with him. Why not? If Lloyd Banks were to do a album with Yayo you better believe that people would say why would he do an album with him. Wayne is like Cam to me, they might say a memorable or quality line amongst a lot nonsense or simple ****.

I don't think DMX or Tupac are complex, neither was Chuck D, but they had a certain quality and were relateable.

One of the most disrespectful things i've seen in this post :lol:

Wayne's been able to do everything well in his career, Longjevity, Lyrics, Flow, Charisma, Melody, Beat Selection, Catalog of Music.... he's a lot more complete than most artist as far as other aspects, so when thinking of Top 10 i don't see how he's not there.

Kiss is hovering around top 10 IMO but i think if i'm taking everything Wayne has done as a whole vs everything Jada has... Kiss has the more standout Verses, but Wayne's catalog is more enjoyable.

I don't really care about that

Like Joe and them were debating accolades

I care about pure lyrics, content and flow. Wayne is better than Black Thought or Pharoahe Monch?

Because if it's accolades, it would be Run or DMC, because they pretty much did everything first and set the bar for everything besides winning awards. So they wouldn't be in the top 10?
Sometimes you don't need a Emmitt Smith career, you can do that in half the time like Gale Sayers(Biggie or Pun)

and I also didn't understand what they were talking about era. What is era? Two or three albums? That didn't make any sense with that one.

boys also act like he still can't burn tracks down

he killed the song on rockys album

killed the 2 chainz watch out cut

and plenty others

his pacing on tracks is still out this world

I'd say that he was good at rapping over the beat and having melody and pacing, but I still have to judge him on what he's saying while doing it. He makes you think he's saying more than he is, because he sounds good saying it.

As opposed to Em who I think sounds horrible because of his voice, but might be saying a lot and might be using a complex rhyme scheme.

New episode of ItsTheReal with Young M.A.
Pretty solid listen actually; she has an interesting story and seems really humble. I'm actually excited for her trajectory now.

Pretty solid listen actually; she has an interesting story and seems really humble. I'm actually excited for her trajectory now.

Checked it out. It was good.

ItsTheReal has been good lately.

They've had Dave East, Young MA, Tate Kobang and Zaytoven recently

It's the real might be my favorite podcast out these days minus the bodegaboys... they have a perfect balance between comedy and actually interviewing.

I missed the Wayne convo and the start of it but Wayne is certainly in my top 10.

He would've easily been top 5 if he could've stayed consistent with the pre-Carter 3 Wayne.

Drugs really did a number on that boy in the end but prior to he was certainly on the road to greatness. I'm 28 and I've lived through my fair share of rap movements.

People forget that Wayne been around since late 90s and it took him a long time to hone in on craft and become a great. He worked for his fans, fame, everything.

Is it better than Rap Radar with her, because I was bored half way through and stopped listening

I did listen to Rap Radar with A Boogie and Don Q and it was just ok to me.

Wayne as a top ten rapper ever? That's just wrong.

Me saying Wayne is better than AZ, Beans, Common or RZA...naw, can't do it

Hell, Royce or Elzhi

Last edited:
Is it better than Rap Radar with her, because I was bored half way through and stopped listening

I did listen to Rap Radar with A Boogie and Don Q and it was just ok to me.
Me saying Wayne is better than AZ, Beans, Common or RZA...naw, can't do it

Hell, Royce or Elzhi
Wouldn't be able to tell you, lol. Not a fan of Rap Radar so I tune them out. ItsTheReal always manages to keep things entertaining though by varying their convos.

I know some of you guys hated or enjoyed Marissa on Joes podcast but she put out hers today.

Last edited:
The bolded part is where Top 10, Top 20, Top whatever lists can get confusing. 
It's hard to deny what peeps like Rakim, Kane, Kool G, KRS, Slick Rick, etc. have done for the culture. They created the blueprint for current rappers. However, if you weren't around for them, then it's hard for modern listeners to put them in their Top lists. That's no shade to them, it's just what happens if you didn't grow up listening to those artists. 

Like @Magic1978
 said, that's why it makes sense to do top for a given era. To some (including myself) putting Wayne before Jadakiss sounds absurd. Jada been at it for years and has been crushing features from the beginning. But I can also respect it because of the work that Wayne put in and how much buzz he had in the mid 2000s. So in the end, you really have to qualify these Top 10 lists with some criteria, whether it's by era, best punchlines, best features, etc. Otherwise it's damn near impossible to have a *perfect* list. Then again, part of the fun is to see where people's minds are at. 

Fab is better than Jada

This is one of the funniest Tax episodes ever. This ***** Tax rant against ghost and personal trainers :rofl: :rofl: "Ghost are *****"

Back
Top Bottom