The Combat Jack Show Thread

He's actually been alot less artistsy in this last couple years. Early Cole was way more creative imo.

That year of just features was great for Cole imo. He proved he could rap with anyone and kill. If there were top 3-5 conversations regarding the current crop of rappers he may be deserving off that alone.

People are having serious talks about Baby taking the top spot from Drake (an artist to the lines we've probably never seen before). Not knocking baby at all but if that's true then yeah cole up there. Baby has way more work to do imo.

They rightfully putting Baby in that class. Because in people’s shallow minded heads…southern “trap” rappers didn’t have substance. Until the legacy hip hop media and newer generation started shifting the dialogue, and people realizing the actual talent. I always said….You cannot mention Drake/Kendrick/Cole….then shoehorn Wale/Sean etc in there. But leave out Future. They do a lot of the same ****. It’s just the perception and deliveries of the artist.

Start of 2010…had the Everyman/alternative rappers looking like they were the ones to take the mantle as far as critical acclaim and success. And All of Kanye’s protégés/Roc nation/etc associated acts.

Travis Scott & Big Sean being the most undeservedly so. Even Drake with Wayne. When you look at it, All of it comes from certain trees. With acts like Future/Baby/Thug, they come from the Gucci Mane chitterlings circuit tree…that didn’t hit mainstream til 2016 (and super blew without the dungeon family, which is his true rap lineage) But is dominating now. Migos too. And cats like Kodak/YB and their children. Plus the drill rappers from the chi.

Drake, helped mainline and get the audience’s ears and perception tuned into this type of rap as credible. Not just datpiff/livemixatapes type music. But commercial, mainstream rap.

I think Wayne had a lot to do with that change too.

They rightfully putting Baby in that class. Because in people’s shallow minded heads…southern “trap” rappers didn’t have substance. Until the legacy hip hop media and newer generation started shifting the dialogue, and people realizing the actual talent. I always said….You cannot mention Drake/Kendrick/Cole….then shoehorn Wale/Sean etc in there. But leave out Future. They do a lot of the same ****. It’s just the perception and deliveries of the artist.

Start of 2010…had the Everyman/alternative rappers looking like they were the ones to take the mantle as far as critical acclaim and success. And All of Kanye’s protégés/Roc nation/etc associated acts.

Travis Scott & Big Sean being the most undeservedly so. Even Drake with Wayne. When you look at it, All of it comes from certain trees. With acts like Future/Baby/Thug, they come from the Gucci Mane chitterlings circuit tree…that didn’t hit mainstream til 2016 (and super blew without the dungeon family, which is his true rap lineage) But is dominating now. Migos too. And cats like Kodak/YB and their children. Plus the drill rappers from the chi.

Drake, helped mainline and get the audience’s ears and perception tuned into this type of rap as credible. Not just datpiff/livemixatapes type music. But commercial, mainstream rap.

I think Wayne had a lot to do with that change too.

Can you not mention Future in discussions?

The reason people mention Drake, Wale, Sean, Cole, Kendrick together is because they all appeared around he same time. Thus the same class.

Which is like four or five years before Future, damn dude :smh:

Damn I hate when I gotta put the Cole cape on. :smh:

First of all, outta the “big 3” there’s ONE clear person who does not deserve the reverence. And it’s not Cole or Kendrick. ****** started hating Cole after Wet Dreams, and Twitter ran with it so it stuck. But in terms on being on the top, not sure how Cole is always viewed as the odd man out when there’s a ***** not writing rhymes. We heard references and all that, but he’s still “top 3”.

as far as the Tyler topic, he can rap his *** off. But I’m not putting him up there at the top. I’ll throw Wale up there before Tyler. Put Tyler in the next tier with Rocky, Ross, Meek, etc. if we have to categorize him. And as far as sales, he got the 15-30 white people rocking with him. He’s a pop artist now so it makes sense.

See this what I'm talking about. We gotta be talking about more than just rapping if we even insinuating that someone like Cole is in a higher tier than someone like Ross...or if Rocky is in a top tier at all. The "top 3" and those "tiers" don't really have **** to do with rapping. It's overall popularity, artistry, commercial performance, etc.

I don’t get off season hate. Im huge cole fan & off season is his best album. Least in his top 3 with fnl and fhd. I know JBP (Joe) feel that way too. Production is great and it’a top tier rapping, esp first 8 tracks or so

i get why ppl hate cole, but lot of it was a meme that took off.

He got lot of solid work and features though. Even if you don’t like him; impact is there from the sales, selling out ARENAS (prolly only 4-5 rappers who can do arenas). For ppl who been fans since day 1, great to see that kind of rise.

Don’t get why we gotta compare, ppl can like both and u can big up tyler w/o knocking cole

People hate the Off Season? It’s ok. Kinda came and went. I **** with some of the sounds/surprises….but it just feels like Cole going back to his 2012 self.

I think people are just waiting for the late stage, J Cole grown man album with GREAT production/flows/content that he hasn’t done before. Off-season ain’t that. But it feels easy for him to do what he does.

If we look at FNL as a project and FHD as the same…Cole catalog looks a lot better. And for me, post 2007…I’ve been a mixtape/project guy. So I can appreciate FNL in a way that gives it more light, than it not being “counted” as a “classic” because it was a mixtape.

Not for me. Mixtapes was better than albums from 07-2015 anyway.

IYKYK

Can you not mention Future in discussions?

The reason people mention Drake, Wale, Sean, Cole, Kendrick together is because they all appeared around he same time. Thus the same class.

Which is like four or five years before Future, damn dude :smh:

Future came out in 2010….

45C493CA-D6F5-4A16-BC1D-AB535D6CFF41.jpeg
9ADCC115-FD4D-4712-A43E-254B752F059D.jpeg

Like, KRIT used to be in these convos :lol:. MEEK too.

All of them, Got work, Grammies, Best selling tours with Future. Leaving him out of that convo has nothing to do with the time he popped, and more to do with the perception of him as an artist. He’s in that convo. And his longevity and consistency is up there with those guys.

Odd Future was just an extension of that Eminem angst and shock raps.

Minus Em's skill level. That's why a lot of _'s ain't connect with them like the white college crowd did. _ was eating bugs and ****, like what part of the game is that. :lol: :smh:

Don't agree with the god tier status.

Others are close

YG has classic albums.

No one calls him the best, though.

YG got one classic and he ain't close to the rapper Kendrick is.

Minus the Em's skill level. That's why a lot of _'s ain't connect with them like the white college crowd did. _ was eating bugs and ****, like what aprt of the game is that. :lol: :smh:

YG got one classic and he ain't close to the rapper Kendrick is.

You bump more YG than Kendrick though. I know damn well you bump more YG than J Cole

A ***** couldn't pay me to listen to J.Cole

Cole is one of the ones. But I know he not everybody cup of tea. Personally to me, he got some joints from years ago, that still resonate with me. Seen yo perform a few times too. And it was a good show.

I think he could’ve made more bangers too. But he ain’t lean into that skill part.

I think that's Kendrick more than Cole

Cole is an underground artist who just happen to cross over and become major. I've been listening to Cole type artist for 20+ years.

what are some of those artists

He's actually been alot less artsy in this last couple years. Early Cole was way more creative imo.

That year of just features was great for Cole imo. He proved he could rap with anyone and kill. If there were top 3-5 conversations regarding the current crop of rappers he may be deserving off that alone.

People are having serious talks about Baby taking the top spot from Drake (an artist to the likes we've probably never seen before). Not knocking baby at all but if that's true then yeah cole up there. Baby has way more work to do imo.
It may be selfish but I want the Cole that was killing the features. I don’t like his production, his melodies, or his hooks.

Nip another interesting one that is the convo…but really isn’t…but really IS.
Nah there's a Convo to be had for sure. I love Nip the person and VL was super dope but he's been kinda knighted on some pac and Big **** post his passing and I'm honestly not as sure it would've happened the same way had he lived.

I still bump Crenshaw, Slauson boy etc and have since they dropped so Nip really up there for me as a fan but I know that his wide spread appeal was still a ways off until he died.

tbh tho I think after 2017 there really is no big 3.

Drake Cole and Kendrick dropped way less often and people like Travis, Nip, DaBaby, YB, Lil Baby, Roddy, Thug, Tyler, etc. dropped big projects in their absence.

I think that era is over (in that Drake/Cole/Dot’s most active days are behind them) until you really get a few classic gamechanging albums to make someone new stand out from the pack.

Back
Top Bottom