The Current 10 Worst Contracts in MLB

A-Rod's doesnt strike me as awful because of his marketability. Someone like Vernon Wells makes the average sports fan go "wait, who?"

Lackey and Howard are the worst to me. Lackey is stupid and fat and cant keep his mouth shut, and statistically speaking was the worst Red Sox starter in franchise history. And thats a LONG history.

Howard never deserved that kind of money to me, neither does Pujols and Fielder, yet they'll get it. Hopefully they dont go on the customary break down after they do.

The only thing saving the Sox from being on this three/four times is that Drew is up this year and Dice K is up next year.
laugh.gif

JD Drew was the worst contract in freaking baseball history. Knew it from day one, giving an injury plagued player in an injury prone position of OFer was just bat-%++# stupid. Sans that one grand slam he hit in the playoffs, he did almost nothing to steal 80 million dollars.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Actually thought I was going to see Joe Mauer on the list, but nope. He has a lot of value because of the position he plays, but still.

2009: Mauer (28 HRs, .365 BA)

*Proceeds to get 8 year, 134 million dollar contract*

2010: Mauer (8 HRs, .327 BA)
2011: Mauer (3 HRs, .287 BA)

30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

always thought this man was VASTLY overrated. Contract is bad man smh

Originally Posted by erupt107th

Originally Posted by Proshares

Joe "Hometown Discount" Mauer
laugh.gif
Twins FO isn't that bright to begin with. Anyone who thought Mauer would keep up those power numbers was crazy.

Dako, Scioscia forced Napoli out. He would not play him to save his life. Guy loves his defensive minded catchers. That's why Mathis keeps playing with a .125 BA and Napoli got forced out. Even Hank Conger got demoted when he was raking. Mike also loves vets so Wells will be in the OF to start next year and Trout will be back in the minors. I'd be on that.

Edit--I came off sounding like a Dbag
laugh.gif

Connger had just come off 3 consecutive months where he hit .205, .203 and .105. He was not raking.

As far as the list goes I agree Vernon is the worst contract. The fact that we gave away Npoli makes it worse. The fact that Napoli had his best year every makes it even worse. The fact that Napoli had that season for the Rangers makes it unbearable.
laugh.gif

Meant raking compared to Jeff Mathis.  Sciosia basically black balled both of them.  He will be the reason the Angels never win again.  Even baseball insiders say that the new GM will basically be a yes man for Mike to get his own moves approved.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by JPZx

Actually thought I was going to see Joe Mauer on the list, but nope. He has a lot of value because of the position he plays, but still.

2009: Mauer (28 HRs, .365 BA)

*Proceeds to get 8 year, 134 million dollar contract*

2010: Mauer (8 HRs, .327 BA)
2011: Mauer (3 HRs, .287 BA)

30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

I've been saying this.  One of if not THE most overpaid players in all of sports.
Even a drunk 10 year old with down syndrome knows you NEVER pay 100 mil to a CATCHER........
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Oh Minnesota sports..............Will you never be pathetic?

At the Mauer backlash 
laugh.gif

It's deserved now though
laugh.gif
sick.gif

You guys all have short memories however, the dude was coming off that year and the Twins had to pay him market value...and that definitely was his market in the good ol MLB system. GM's dont care about long term future (cause 75% are never around for the back end of contracts). Mauer was getting paid. And the Twinks make so much ____ damn money off Mauer jerseys and what not it's crazy.

Contract looks ugly though
laugh.gif
  Just like many mega deals do.

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

Arod is the worst by far
I love when people put "by far" after their comments as if it somehow validates their opinions more.  I know he makes a huge salary, but there is absolutely no way he has the worst contract in the Major Leagues, let alone "by far."  He is still an incredibly productive player, in spite of his salary.

pimp.gif

RyGuy45 wrote:
At the Mauer backlash 
laugh.gif

It's deserved now though
laugh.gif
sick.gif

You guys all have short memories however, the dude was coming off that year and the Twins had to pay him market value...and that definitely was his market in the good ol MLB system. GM's dont care about long term future (cause 75% are never around for the back end of contracts). Mauer was getting paid. And the Twinks make so much ____ damn money off Mauer jerseys and what not it's crazy.

Contract looks ugly though
laugh.gif
  Just like many mega deals do.

Is it Joe's fault they +*%#$! up the dimensions of the ball park?
Let us be real here, Joe was getting 100 million. The HR upside drove his price up 80 million.
People legit thought Joe might hit 40 cause he hit 28 after missing April.

Really? I don't remember anyone but a couple Twins fans (not even on here) that they thought Mauer would ever put up the same power numbers. Mauer was supposed to be the better defensive/catching version of John Olerud. He was never going to be a 7 HR guy but no one I knew ever thought he'd crack 30.

Arod is the worst by far
I love when people put "by far" after their comments as if it somehow validates their opinions more.  I know he makes a huge salary, but there is absolutely no way he has the worst contract in the Major Leagues, let alone "by far."  He is still an incredibly productive player, in spite of his salary.

but his salary is what everyone looks at.. why does he shut down EVERY OCTOBER

gangsta - You're right about how horrible that park has been for Twins hitters but Mauer's got more problems right now than just the dimensions of the Twins ballpark and his power numbers. Dude has mastered the hopper to 2nd for the groundout and has zero stroke right now at home or road.

Dude just has to get healthy. He hasn't been at all since his MVP season.

Originally Posted by DREdwards

Arod is the worst by far

but his salary is what everyone looks at.. why does he shut down EVERY OCTOBER
Ok, so is he slightly overpaid based on his current production?  Sure.  $25 million for a .280 hitter who hits 30 homeruns?  Sure.  He is slightly overpaid.

As far as shutting down EVERY OCTOBER?  One of the more overblown opinions in all of baseball.  His batting average in the playoffs is .277, which isnt awful.  His 13 homeruns in 68  playoff games isnt awful.  His career playoff on base percentage and slugging percentage are both higher than Derek Jeters.

Has he come up empty in some clutch situations?  Yes.  Has he been horrible the last two seasons?  Yes.  But to say he is "shut down every october" is absolutely false.

Back
Top Bottom