The Dark Tower Film Adaptation (2017)

So what yall are saying is that I should head to Walmart & pick up the books instead.....

These Diamond Select statues are on point.
darktower.jpg

darfff.jpg

I mean they aren't perfect, but I still wouldn't mind having the Idris one sitting on my desk at work. :lol:

21% on RT and the positive reviews barely make it sound passable

It's a highly competent and watchable paranoid metaphysical video game that doesn't overstay its welcome

Works more often than not, a muscular yet appreciatively unshowy conjuring of spectacle

A mostly entertaining piece of fantasy pulp that is a victim of trying to do too much

'The Dark Tower' TV Series Sets 'Walking Dead' Grad as Showrunner

The Dark Tower is poised to open at the box office, the potential TV series is taking a big step forward.

Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead) has been tapped to serve as showrunner on the TV adaptation of the ambitious Stephen King series. The TV take, envisioned as a straight-to-series project, is currently in its early stages and tapping a showrunner is the key first step. A network is not yet attached. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that it is being eyed for a short-order (between 10 and 13 episodes) and a home on cable or streaming outlets by producers Media Rights Capital and Sony Pictures Television. Production is eyed to begin in 2018, though nothing is locked in given all the variables.

"I’ve been a Stephen King fan for decades and the opportunity to adapt The Dark Tower as a TV series is a great honor," Mazzara tells THR. "The events of The Gunslinger, Wizard & Glass, The Wind Through the Keyhole, and other tales need a long format to capture the complexity of Roland's coming of age — how he became the Gunslinger, how Walter became the Man in Black, and how their rivalry cost Roland everything and everyone he ever loved. I could not be more excited to tell this story. It feels like being given the key to a treasure chest. And oh yeah, we’ll have billy-bumblers!"

The feature film, which opens Friday and is already generating mixed reviews, is considered to be independent from the TV series — though there is some overlap. Slated to appear in the series are Idris Elba, who stars as Roland Deschain (aka the Gunslinger); Dennis Haysbert (as Roland's father, Steven Deschain); and young star Tom Taylor (Jake Chambers, the son-like figure to the Gunslinger). The potential TV series will revolve around a younger Roland and his group — with those roles currently uncast. The TV entry will be based on Wizard in Glass, the fourth book in The Dark Tower series. While insiders do not see the potential TV series as a prequel, an origin story is more appropriate to describe the vision for the project.

Akiva Goldsman — who was originally slated to pen the script when the TV series was set up at Universal — is attached to exec produce alongside his Weed Road Pictures president of production Gregory Lessans. Imagine TV's Ron Howard and Brian Grazer are also on board as exec producers. Feature film director Nikolaj Arcel and co-writer Anders Thomas Jensen are not involved. Mazzara will take the lead with writing the series as well as oversee day-to-day operations on the ambitious project.

Mazzara was The Walking Dead's second showrunner, coming in to replace Frank Darabont on the AMC zombie drama. His TV credits include A&E's Damien as well as Crash, The Shield and Life. He's repped by CAA.

The Dark Tower is in theaters Friday.

Saw it on Friday with my girl. We have been reading the series, so far up to the 4th book read. We agreed that it was an ok movie but it probably would have been better to not have read any of the books before watching the movie. It does no justice to the source material and honestly can't believe they concluded a 9 book series in an hour and a half. I was kind of anticipating it more to start off a whole Harry Potter series of movies based on all the books and use this movie as the springboard.

Back
Top Bottom