****The Everything LaVar Ball Thread****

Austin comparison wasn’t about game specifically as much as hype. People were calling him the next Kobe, his mixtapes were everywhere, his hype was undeniable.

Then reality came and set in. He was an undersized two guard, who couldn’t handle the rock full time and had a funky shot. He’s a good player I’m the league now, but certainly not a star or anything.

When I see LaMelo, I see a lot of the problems that has hampered his brother in the league.

His handle doesn’t seem to be good enough to be a full-time ball handler, both have the same thinish frame. Not explosive guys who can really turn the corner on the defender and not much shake either.

While his shot seems better than Alonzo, I have serious concerns about his form (has an Austin rivers shotput type form). I also don’t think he is the same super special basketball IQ that makes Lonzo a plus player despite his glaring weaknesses.

I’ve never once watched LaMelo and thought man, that kid is really different. There are usually a handful of kid literally every year that have his skill set.

What makes him seem so special to y’all cause all I see is the hype.
:smh:

But...the reason we are discussing him is because of the fact he is being talked about as a no. 1 pick.

The kid has 5 million IG followers. I don’t think a fringe 5 star prospect has ever received as much hype as him. He can be a nice player but nothing about him screams special.

The hype has nothing to do with who he is a player but more the whole circus that has been around him since he was a freshman.

:smh:

I see the Balls gonna con the NBA into drafting another son yet again :lol:
Hope yall realize the Australian NBL is a just a step above the Chinese league.
Sure Lamelo might have good stats but the NBA is something else. Only reason we even talking about him is cause of the whole family.

ESPN propaganda is STRONGGGG

I still don’t see any lottery teams taking him.

These takes :lol: :smh:

I'm not surprised at the borderline cats doing what they do but kinda am at the normal ones who doubted. Like even if he didn't become a star it was obvious he'd at least be effective.

I'm not surprised at the borderline cats doing what they do but kinda am at the normal ones who doubted. Like even if he didn't become a star it was obvious he'd at least be effective.

**** was obvious he was a prospect at the very least, and a nba talent by the time he finished at SPIRE

But for some reason, a lot of folks were dead set on the idea that Lamelo was “all hype”. They were talking about him like he was not a 5* recruit and dominating hs ball as an underclassmen…playing against elite talent and a national schedule.

It was wild to see people deny the obvious. But ppl are ppl. Shoutout to the baby big baller!

**** was obvious he was a prospect at the very least, and a nba talent by the time he finished at SPIRE

But for some reason, a lot of folks were dead set on the idea that Lamelo was “all hype”. They were talking about him like he was not a 5* recruit and dominating hs ball as an underclassmen…playing against elite talent and a national schedule.

It was wild to see people deny the obvious. But ppl are ppl. Shoutout to the baby big baller!
People dislike(d) his pops so much they just discredited him. Was funny to read, and now reread.

I don't think it was that obvious. I thought he'd be solid but it's not like he was a can't miss prospect. He wasn't exactly teenage Luka playing against grown men. At the same time the hate was probably fueled by non basketball reasons

I don't think it was that obvious. I thought he'd be solid but it's not like he was a can't miss prospect. He wasn't exactly teenage Luka playing against grown men. At the same time the hate was probably fueled by non basketball reasons

The Melo detractors kept saying he was “all hype” and were betting on his career flaming out at some point, wether it was overseas or somewhere else. What was obvious is he was talented and a great basketball prospect. That was obvious

A lot of folks didn't like LaVarr, so any and everything said about his sons was a reflection of THAT>

#BBB

I been said this. THEY won't admit it but the lamelo hate was because his father is a vocal BLACK FATHER.

If Lamelo was a bust they would all be running around with "I told you so's" but now kid is the best young player in the league it's silence.

ESPN and the media owe Lavar an apology.

ALSO a lot of Lamelo detractors on this site also dislike Lebron. Coincidence? I think not. Some people just don't know hoops.

The Melo detractors kept saying he was “all hype” and were betting on his career flaming out at some point, wether it was overseas or somewhere else. What was obvious is he was talented and a great basketball prospect. That was obvious
How was it obvious that he was GREAT tho? I would only say that about the 1% like Bron and KD. I didn't keep up with him like that but his numbers were terrible in that Australian league so I could see why people would be iffy on him. I only thought he'd be solid because of the 2 great games he had over there. And I still thought it would take him longer to adjust than he did.

Last edited:
How was it obvious that he was GREAT tho? I didn't keep up with him like that but his numbers were terrible in that Australian league so I could see why people would be iffy on him. I only thought he'd be solid because of the 2 great games he had over there

I’m talking about when Melo was at Chino Hills…you can go back to this thread, but people were calling him a gimmick. Even when he was putting up numbers and winning playing a national schedule at that school. People legit thought it was gimmick ball, and he wasn’t a real talent/prospect.

And in Australia…he was productive in a league of grown men and adults. At that point, it was clear he would be drafted somewhere and play pro ball in a real league.

There was a time when people were talking about Lamelo like he was Gelo with “hype”. That’s what I’m getting at.

When 15 year old Lamelo played against Zion in that aau tournament I was sold.

All he needed was a growth spurt and he would be a guaranteed star. He got the growth spurt and here is.

Lamelo was the biggest can’t miss player since Lebron in my eyes.

Last edited:
I’m talking about when Melo was at Chino Hills…you can go back to this thread, but people were calling him a gimmick. Even when he was putting up numbers and winning playing a national schedule at that school. People legit thought it was gimmick ball, and he wasn’t a real talent/prospect.

And in Australia…he was productive in a league of grown men and adults. At that point, it was clear he would be drafted somewhere and play pro ball in a real league.

There was a time when people were talking about Lamelo like he was Gelo with “hype”. That’s what I’m getting at.
I mean he did cherry pick his way to 100 points :lol:. Like I said I wasn't keeping up like that but I don't think he plays the same way in the league as he was at Chino. We can just disagree on how productive he was overseas

I mean he did cherry pick his way to 100 points :lol:. Like I said I wasn't keeping up like that but I don't think he plays the same way in the league as he was at Chino. We can just disagree on how productive he was overseas

***** was calling him “trash” in here while he was cherry picking. Even within that, it was obvious he was a high level prospect and a talent, this is from 2017.

Only on NT where a Sophmore averaged 25 & 8 on a nationally ranked team against a national schedule playing the best players in the country....can be considered "trash" :lol:

A season he averaged 25/8 as a sophomore on a 32-1 team.

Like cmon. That’s obvious talent, and you know it.

***** was calling him “trash” in here while he was cherry picking. Even within that, it was obvious he was a high level prospect and a talent, this is from 2017.

I wasn't paying attention like that bruh :lol:. I don't think anything a 10th grader does would sell me like that tho especially if they're not a 1% physical specimen like Bron/KD, plenty of high schoolers don't pan out how they're supposed to. That's why I was going off his pro numbers and film

How was it obvious that he was GREAT tho? I would only say that about the 1% like Bron and KD. I didn't keep up with him like that but his numbers were terrible in that Australian league so I could see why people would be iffy on him. I only thought he'd be solid because of the 2 great games he had over there. And I still thought it would take him longer to adjust than he did.

A lot of folks were going full B Sox B Sox blind hatred mode and calling him trash on the strength of nothing.

I'm not going to say that it was obvious that he'd win ROY and be an allstar in his 2nd season and be the best young talent in the NBA, because I had questions about him at least until he reached the Australian league, but once I saw that he was giving grown men the blues the doubts went out the window for me.

Seeing him at the Drew league also let me know that his frame could handle the physicality of the NBA.

And like someone mentioned, even earlier in his development when he went head to head with Zion in AAU, you could see that the talent was legitimate.

ESPN and sports media went on a full anti-Lavar campaign and did everything they could to slander that man and everything related to him including his kids.

Only to turn around and watch the NBA, Overtime and other post-high school professional development leagues sprout up.

Run the black man’s business into the ground then take his business model and profit off it.

Back
Top Bottom