****The Everything LaVar Ball Thread****

which athletes have successfully launched their own brand, in any sport?

this isn't exactly the same but the failure that comes to mind is MVP: http://money.cnn.com/2001/02/07/sunsetting/biz_mvp/
Greg Norman - golf
Shaq
Maybe Ewing but it depends on what we define success as :lol:

It's not often but it happens
thanks. i don't know if it counts but George Foreman has done ok too with his grills.

the Balls could pull it off. but like was mentioned earlier, it's riskier to go it alone. lonzo can always sign a contract after a couple years if BBB flops, but the risk is if his career also flops. but if they want to aim high it makes sense to roll the dice on this.

Last edited:
whywesteppin whywesteppin how could I forget about my man foreman? :lol:

That definitely counts in my book. My man was pushing them grills til everyone had one in their house :lol:

I think the ball family could do it. Let dad handle the business portion while the kids focused on the Basketball portion.

My only concern is that the product needs to be "legit" in order for them to not just be a flavor of the month. The clothing I've seen so far as been flea market designs so far to me. I def won't touch the shoes until I get a great set of reviews to say the product is legit and performs well.

Last edited:

That definitely counts in my book. My man was pushing them grills til everyone had one in their house :lol:
it was brilliant. but I'm glad i threw mine out. :lol:

Although Foreman has never confirmed exactly how much he has earned from the endorsement, Salton Inc paid him $137 million in 1999 in order to buy out the right to use his name. Previous to that he was being paid about 40% of the profits on each grill sold (earning him $4.5 million a month in payouts at its peak), so it is estimated he has made a total of over $200 million from the endorsement, a sum that is substantially more than he earned as a boxer.

:wow:

now that's a good deal.

Last edited:
I actually got 2 new foreman grills. One is a giant one that can grill 9 burgers and another one is a panini press / flat top/ grill.

it was brilliant. but I'm glad i threw mine out. :lol:

He went from the meanest boxer to the happiest grill seller on the block. The funny part is that I'm on 32 so I didn't really have knowledge of the mean foreman so learning that he legit scary had me like [emoji]128563[/emoji]

Didn't hulk hogan pass on the grill and it went to foreman or did foreman think of the product himself?

i was just reading the wiki. some guy designed it and then later pitched it to Foreman. Hogan claims it was going to be pitched to him first but he missed the phone call.

Missed opportunities. Kinda like how Verizon was offered the iPhone before att :lol:

Nike struck gold with Paul George, everyone said he wasn't a star and he proved everyone wrong and now they have him locked in with a hot 1st sig model

they also have Ben Simmons up next

Last edited:
i was just reading the wiki. some guy designed it and then later pitched it to Foreman. Hogan claims it was going to be pitched to him first but he missed the phone call.

He's been trying to make up for it for a long time :lol:

hulkhogan-ultimate.JPG

hulk-hogan-grill-as-seen-on-tv.jpg

images

Nike struck gold with Paul George, everyone said he wasn't a star and he proved everyone wrong and now they have him locked in with a hot 1st sig model

they also have Ben Simmons up next

I read an article on Nike contracts. Unless you are a lebron type, it's structured to mitigate risk.
George, curry, griffin, harden, etc all endorse or endorsed Nike with similar contracts

Pg1 are too limited ugly
Fixed.  

I'll never understand the hype.  Joints are average looking.  
It's the aura of a $90 - $110 signature shoe.
Follows the pattern of the lebron, Kobe, KD and Kyrie lines when they first started.
Yeah, I can see that in this era of $200 sneakers being the norm.  But it was a different time for shoe pricing when Bron and Kobe's sig lines started, so that lower price point wasn't really a huge selling point to most, IMO.  

Plus their sig lines actually looked good.
laugh.gif

These new sig lines are the epitome of "meh" to me.  And some are straight trash, like KD's entire line. 

I laughed when people got mad in the pg shoe thread because we said he wasn't a household name. Calling people names and saying he is a household name but then not knowing what the term meant.

Them 2 morons up there have no clue about business. Why wouldn't you want to be in control of your own brand as opposed to being an ambassador for someone else.

If lonzo becomes the player he has the potential to be or more, not giving up everything will be more beneficial in the long run. Plus if he holds out now and becomes a superstar, he will have more leverage if he decides to do a deal.
eyes.gif
 because they dont have access to the necessary resources it takes to be successful. you sound like a damn fool
Ol' "I'm just happy to be here" type dudes

knock it off. we are talking about 9 figure contracts. not only can you change the lives of your family members you can also help your community with that kind of money
Yup.

I mean, does anyone think Rose is being pimped by Adidas?
laugh.gif
exactly. 

You gotta be crazy to think Lebron and MJ aren't being pimped out or are "winning" with the money they make off they shoes.

You think Nike gon off Bron a billy and not expect to get practically exponentially more out the deal? Them execs don't want players to have the thought they can get money off they own name
you dont know the terms of his contract and neither do i. for all we know nike HAD to pay lebron that amount to keep him. just like the memphis grizzlies had to pay mike conley what they paid him for him to stay

Pg1 are too limited ugly

Fixed.  

I'll never understand the hype.  Joints are average looking.  

It's the aura of a $90 - $110 signature shoe.

Follows the pattern of the lebron, Kobe, KD and Kyrie lines when they first started.

Yeah, I can see that in this era of $200 sneakers being the norm.  But it was a different time for shoe pricing when Bron and Kobe's sig lines started, so that lower price point wasn't really a huge selling point to most, IMO.  

Plus their sig lines actually looked good. :lol:

These new sig lines are the epitome of "meh" to me.  And some are straight trash, like KD's entire line. 

:lol: looked good is a matter of perspective. I never cared for the lebron 1 or the Kobe 1. I mentioned them tho because they had an intro starting point and gradually went up over time. Nike wanted to keep the pattern going but it's been tough raising the prices and maintaining sales.

laugh.gif
looked good is a matter of perspective. I never cared for the lebron 1 or the Kobe 1. I mentioned them tho because they had an intro starting point and gradually went up over time. Nike wanted to keep the pattern going but it's been tough raising the prices and maintaining sales.
if kobe never had that rape scandal them 2k4s would have been kobe 1s. would have totally changed the legacy of his kicks imo

Back
Top Bottom