The Fishing Thread, ANY ANGLERS ON NT ?!

did you at least take a few pics? can’t go wrong with catch and release!

Didn’t really get any good pics. Snapped ONE quick one with the first one, before I got the hook free and saw he was a native. Didn’t wanna have him out of the water for very long. Cannot tell how gigantic he was from the quick pic

IMG_2394.jpeg

The second one I was just like “you gotta be ****ing kidding me!” And immediately let him go

calibeebee calibeebee greatabyss43 greatabyss43

You guys ever fish a tenkara rod? I’m thinking about grabbing one so I can actually cast and drift a 🪰 in front of the trout. I feel like I’m missing fish with spinners because they gotta be super aggressive to hit those.

I fish small water so I don’t need a whole fly rod setup, I’d never even use the reel.

mplsdunk mplsdunk I’ve never fly fished before. I used to help my dad build flys, and practiced casting in the yard, but I don’t own my own fly rod and have never been fishing with one.

I don’t know how much you’ve researched on those rods, but I found an easy to understand article on Google just now. Basically my takeaway from the article is this:

“If you are interested in getting a tenkara rod and don’t know much about them you should remember this. Rod length: 12′, Line length: 12′, Fly size: 12. “12-12-12” will get you started on the water and you’ll be catching fish in no time.”

https://tenkaraangler.com/2020/06/04/tenkara-rule-of-12-rod-line-fly/

That’s the other thing I like about them is the simplicity. I was going to get a 12ft rod anyways with some backbone because I fish for browns and small mouth when it’s hot.

Not to mention I constantly drop my reel in the water when I’m unhooking fish on accident and I’m sick of breaking it down and cleaning it. :lol:

https://www.tenkararodco.com/products/the-sawtooth-package

I think I might get this kit. 13’ line but it’s close.

I had a few buddies who used to fish with me that switched to Tenkaras while we were fishing together. They loved them.

I didn’t even know what it was at first because it was going crazy. He was going ham for a largemouth. At first I thought it was a big *** pike.

calibeebee calibeebee greatabyss43 greatabyss43

You guys ever fish a tenkara rod? I’m thinking about grabbing one so I can actually cast and drift a 🪰 in front of the trout. I feel like I’m missing fish with spinners because they gotta be super aggressive to hit those.

I fish small water so I don’t need a whole fly rod setup, I’d never even use the reel.

I havent fished fly fished yet. I have an old rod and reel but I havent taken it out of the holder in over 10 years. I dont have the patience to learn new stuff now when I know the old way works. 1 cast in the tree and that rod would be snapped in half.

To tell you the truth, I still use my old trout rod that I got when I was 18 or so (now 40). Shakespeare Cirrus ultra light. I cant believe that thing is still going. I was going to retire it after last summer. Went out and bought a new St Croix Triumph 5'6 ultra light and snapped it within a week. POS. Ill never buy another one of their rods. Shakespeare 4L.

Cant wait to get out for fall trout soon here in PA, I havent trout fished in over 2 months :smh:

BRO my boy snapped a st croix too like right when he got it. :rofl:

I fish fenwick and ugly sticks. Idc they get the job done. Ugly stick is carbon with Fuji guides too.

Well I got a tenkara setup coming with some flies so we’ll see how it goes.

Funny story about the St Croix rod snapping incident, I was fishing my local creek that morning around 6am, no one else on the creek and I was catching trout left and right on powerbait for about a good 2hours.

I was walking down the creek where it gets pretty narrow and I decided to test my luck. First cast, snagged in a tree. Break the line, retie everything and start again. 3 cast later I got snagged under a rock which I thought at the time was a bite so I went to set the hook and the tip of my rod just snapped and I straight up LOST it. Ripped the rod up so hard after seeing the tip broke and snapped the rod in the middle. Started screaming combos that have never left my mouth before and then threw everything on the side of the bank and lit one up to calm down.

I sat there for about 5mins and I heard a guy come through the woods and he said to me "You just did the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do while fishing, its just nice to be outside in nature" :rofl:

I'm usually very calm while im out and I get what he was saying but still. A decently expensive rod shouldnt snap after a few days of using it.

Man, some of the most heated stuff happens when you’re fishing though. :lol: I’d be screaming too.

Nothing gets beat up more than my trout gear crawling through the woods and creeks. Not to mention I don’t even know how many times I’ve just dropped it in the creek. :lol:

My boy lost his whole setup the other night and it went down the stream. Somehow we found it with my headlamp. :lol:

I snagged a whopper plopper the other day, I just walked out got soaked and got it. :lol:

idk why I even buy expensive lures, I catch the most bass on red rigs, wacky rigs and swim baits on a jig head.

one beautiful, glassy morning, i hooked a decent-sized one. first really big strike i had for a long time. fought it for a bit and then it cut me off on the coral. i yelled FUUUUUUUUUU.. and slapped my rod on the water. we’re right next to a hill with super nice houses and it kinda echoed. that was probably close to 10 years ago. haven’t yelled in the water since then 😂 i just internalize my anger quietly 😤

Anybody fish for walleye? The river by me is supposed to be trophy size but all I catch is dinks. :lol: Got one around 20” and a million tiny ones.

Using plastic swim baits, husky jerks and x raps.
IMG_1046.jpeg

Walters are good eating! I always think im snagged when having one on the line because they dont really put up much of a fight and are dead weight coming in. If you know of a deeper spot in the river, go close to sunset and use a jig with a smaller plastic on the end in the deep, youll hook one of the bigger ones.

Back
Top Bottom