The Fishing Thread, ANY ANGLERS ON NT ?!

It's funny that I ran across this thread cuz my uncle brought up going fishing the next time I visit him in Tennessee. I haven't been fishing since the 7th grade.

Got a nice redband rainbow today. It was about 14 inches but it was a native so had to let him go. Was funny, it spit out a giant water bug and a half dissolved minnow in my net. Homie was eating GOOD :lol:
IMG_4265.jpeg

my wife isn't banned. I just go fishing solo because I never plan anything and tbh I get pretty rugged so not everyone is up for it.
Imagining taking my wife to the mountains I usually go fishing at sounds like a nightmare.

4AM wake up time, hour long drive, hiking all day and treacherous terrain. I can hear her complaining now :lol:

My wife started wanting to go with me a few years ago and I put her through the wringer. Made sure to go out in all of the elements to see what she can hold up to so I dont have to bail on a trip lol. She hates the heat so I pretty much have the entire summer to myself on the water. She loves fall fishing so we go as much as we can.

She rips a lot out too.

20240413_111856.jpg

On vacation in Alaska with bro and sis in law and my fiance. Decided to go to the local bait shack and rent some gear and just screw around, try and catch something.

$90 to rent rod & reel, all your tackle and lures, boots & waiters, stringer, club, net for 24 hours. Can go anywhere in the state, just have to return the gear within 24hrs. First we grabbed a trout setup since we figured better odds of catching stuff. Then we decided what the hell, when in Rome. So we got rigged with a coho salmon setup. Saw some dudes fishing in a creek and asked him how they do things.

2 hours later, the bro in law hooked this pink salmon! Beginners luck is a real thing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Locals don’t like the pink salmon as much I guess, since they don’t hold up the same as silvers or kings. Gotta eat em right away and the top hump part is real fatty they said, but seasoned right they taste just the same. Also only 1 other person caught a fish in that creek the entire day apparently, so we ain’t gonna turn our noses up on a catch!
IMG_4955.jpeg

IMG_4958.jpeg

90 bucks isn’t even bad for that, that’s sick he got something. :pimp:

Are the people cool there with you rolling up and asking questions or are they on some locals only vibe?

90 bucks isn’t even bad for that, that’s sick he got something. :pimp:

Are the people cool there with you rolling up and asking questions or are they on some locals only vibe?

Oh it was 50/50

Some locals were totally cool and some were absolutely not willing to give us the time of day, and felt like they wanted to kick my *** for even being near them.

Oh it was 50/50

Some locals were totally cool and some were absolutely not willing to give us the time of day, and felt like they wanted to kick my *** for even being near them.

People get like that. :lol:

I had a dude tell me there’s good lakes for lake trout in mn (duh) but I’m not telling you any of them. Like ok good talk dude, I didn’t even ask you.

i’m pretty polite but firm whenever people want to come to my spot. i tellem sorry man….secret spot. some get hurt but whatever. been going there for over 15 years and i think i whitewashed only twice. most days have tons of action.

I’ve never caught a steelhead. My normal fishing spot is over a white covered bridge and following a gravel road down the McKenzie River. I normally try a few spots and get my rainbow trout limit and then dip out. I don’t know how to rig for steelhead, and I don’t even know what river to try.

Sunday I go to my usual spot and get my limit.
IMG_5073.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

So behind me in this pic, there’s a little patch of grass with a trail. We notice a couple in waders fishing for steelhead it seems. Didn’t seem like they knew at all what they were doing. Very clumsy, getting lots of rats nest in their line etc. but they are having a blast for sure. They were there for about an hour with no bites before we hit our limit and left. I’m browsing Facebook in my fishing group and notice a familiar couple
IMG_5082.jpeg

IMG_5083.jpeg

These fools got a steelhead 10 yards from my spot! I’m so jealous! Then the next day, I see a dude post THIS from the white bridge I cross!
IMG_5088.jpeg

THATS IT! I’m fed up!! It’s high time for me to catch a steelhead. Right in my spot, now that I know they are there. No more games

I wish you luck brother.

I always get skunked on steelhead but your rivers are probably better than the Lake Superior rivers.

Lake Superior is a super deep baron lake that they shouldn’t even be in so it’s not that great.

Look up spawn sac rigs. That’s how they do it out here.

CBB I thought you said you was fishin in the hills and sticks

You postin families out fishin you at your spot? :lol: jk

Isn’t it so wild that you can fish and catch one species and at the same exact spot someone will catch another? Good luck with the steelhead journey. I’m currently treading from trout to largemouth when I have time.

I didn’t get an up close look at their setups, but I know they were using these float bobbers. So i just rigged a float setup in my larger ugly stick pole. I’m gonna try a soft bead and worm at first. Then nightmare jig. Then powerbait . Last ditch effort will be a pink blue fox spinner, but I know there’s snags in that spot and I hate losing lures.

This is what I think they were doing
IMG_5097.jpeg

This is what I rigged to start
IMG_5106.jpeg

IMG_5105.jpeg

They’re just big trout right? How hard could it be?

Yeah dude they’re just big rainbow trout really that go in the ocean.

Looks good to me, don’t drop big dough on a setup for sure.

I’m going out to the black hills this weekend and I got some back country spots marked on onx.

We’ll see what the browns are doing.

Back
Top Bottom