The Glove Thread / Zoom Flight 98

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

Im still very excited about this because it means there is no way Nike can use the "we destroyed the mold" excuse.

This is evidence that Zoom Flight 98s are still in production somewhere, even if it is in uber limited quantity's.  It would be really interesting to find out what factory these were manufactured in.

NIKE, JUST DO IT!!! Release these already !!!

I'm gonna engage in rampant speculation and suggest:

They were made on campus - Nike do have a small factory on the campus, right?

They have a separate mold for *Payton's* shoe size/PEs

'Destroyed the mold' then is shorthand for: We don't have any molds for mass production/multiple sizes, and we have no plans to make them.

I don't know much about shoe molds, but i do know that molds for some types of plastic/rubber parts can be heavy and fragile....they breakdown after a certain amount of use, and as a company moves from one outsourced factory to another, sometimes molds are just abandoned.

Nike may be blowing smoke up our %+$+%, but there may be a Kernel of truth there.

Originally Posted by swingshot

Im still very excited about this because it means there is no way Nike can use the "we destroyed the mold" excuse.

This is evidence that Zoom Flight 98s are still in production somewhere, even if it is in uber limited quantity's.  It would be really interesting to find out what factory these were manufactured in.

'Destroyed the mold' then is shorthand for: We don't have any molds for mass production/multiple sizes, and we have no plans to make them.

I don't know much about shoe molds, but i do know that molds for some types of plastic/rubber parts can be heavy and fragile....they breakdown after a certain amount of use, and as a company moves from one outsourced factory to another, sometimes molds are just abandoned.

Nike may be blowing smoke up our %+$+%, but there may be a Kernel of truth there.
Couldn't they model other sizes based on GP's size 13 mold? They should at least release a bunch of sz 13(my size anyway, so works for me)

Really glad to hear that the Gloves will be releasing. I really liked the Gloves, those are cool kicks!

swingshot wrote:
dankenstien88 wrote:

I highly doubt these were made on campus, or anywhere in the US for that matter.  

I know for a fact that the 2005/2006 run of Flight 98s made for GP while he was with the heat were produced overseas in Nikes infamous "Y3" factory. I also know for a fact that there were a few Sz.11s produced even though GP wears a 13/13.5. I do not know what other sizes were produced.

Im willing to bet you are correct about GP having his own personal custom last though, I think alot of NBA players get this special treatment for their PEs. I just highly doubt its the only size Nike is able to produce.

I hear ya about the molds deteriorating and being left behind. I heard the old school fake manufacturers started out using machines and equipment legit companies had either left behind or sold under the table. They say its why the old school fakes were so funky looking. Many bootleg machines used to cut and mold material were simply worn out authentic molds and the end result was a shoe that looked kinda real but still kinda "off".  Still though... even if the OG molds were unusable Nike has the technology to take apart and reverse engineer a pair of 15 year old kicks for mass production.

The Flight 98 mold seemed to still be up and running in late 2005 though...

Here are the product tags of 2 pair of Sz.11 Flight 98s made in Nikes infamous "Y3" factory

White/black

black/white

Its now been 7 years since we saw these ^  ... nearly 15 since the OG release...  still no retro.?.?.?.  Why oh why is Nike holding out? 

lock this thread.. because people are hyping this release or are expecting a release, when there has been no word whatsoever.. just cause GP said it, people think it is true? coming from the guy that was the biggest trash talker in the NBA??? i'll see it when it is confirmed, until then , i am not expecting these to return

TheGoldenChild wrote:
lock this thread.. because people are hyping this release or are expecting a release, when there has been no word whatsoever.. just cause GP said it, people think it is true? coming from the guy that was the biggest trash talker in the NBA??? i'll see it when it is confirmed, until then , i am not expecting these to return

I dont see a legit reason why this thread would be locked. Nowhere does it state these have been confirmed... If people think these are releasing next quarter, its their own fault for not reading.

This shoe needs exposure and Im really hoping that a 20 page thread makes Nike take notice that there is still a strong market for these shoes. Locking this thread would be a disservice to everyone that wants to see these return.

Still though... even if the OG molds were unusable Nike has the technology to take apart and reverse engineer a pair of 15 year old kicks for mass production......>

Some interesting stuff there. IIRC, It's been claimed, and not just by Nike, that reverse engineering molds is is not far off the cost of starting from scratch. They need convincing i guess.

Some people speculated the monkey paw is an issue as well... although can it be that costly/expensive to make? Or have they just soured on it from a performance perspective?

I found this description on another forum :

"I had the PE version, it was sooooo many computers ago that I dont have the pics but they had the same material as the white ones on a black makeup, the midsole was sort of a weird green (similar to the foam green on the Sensation 2011) and the monkey paw was red. i wanted to rock them so bad but they were too big and i got an overwhelming offer for em. paid $30 at the nike outlet"

Does anyone recall seeing PE or off color Flight 98s at the outlet ever ?

I have run into a few shoes at outlets that are made up of left over NikeID parts. I wonder if Nike did the same thing with left over parts of the Flight 98 ?

Originally Posted by swingshot

Still though... even if the OG molds were unusable Nike has the technology to take apart and reverse engineer a pair of 15 year old kicks for mass production......>

Some interesting stuff there. IIRC, It's been claimed, and not just by Nike, that reverse engineering molds is is not far off the cost of starting from scratch. They need convincing i guess.

Some people speculated the monkey paw is an issue as well... although can it be that costly/expensive to make? Or have they just soured on it from a performance perspective?
These will sell. Old school guys like myself are hungry for a retro. I saw a pair that was NDS that went for about 260. If it was ds I would have bought

Originally Posted by shaft

what adidas is Grant wearing?

Adidas "Young Guns".  

FYI There is another version very similar called Adidas "Clima Madness" that looks a little better IMO.

Originally Posted by BigPoint

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

still have my pair.. i love them... hope nike re-releases them

14dq04w.jpg
Man one of my favorites! I remember 3 years ago SportieLA had a street sale and I snagged a pair of these in the black/white/gold colorway for $40. Biggest steal ever!! Brought me back to high school
Hate u 
frown.gif
eyes.gif
eek.gif

The Gp's I wore ripped as soon as I played ball in them in middle school.. I'll def cop when they come out. Everyone at my school had these.

Originally Posted by shaft

what adidas is Grant wearing?

Adidas "Young Guns".  

FYI There is another version very similar called Adidas "Clima Madness" that looks a little better IMO.

Thanks!

I just looked inside my old pair of zoom flight and thought the insole was missing. I forget how close to the ground these are. Waiting for the retro to finally arrive.

Originally Posted by Al Bundy5

I just looked inside my old pair of zoom flight and thought the insole was missing. I forget how close to the ground these are. Waiting for the retro to finally arrive.

Yeah, I thought the same the first time I held a pair in hand. The 98s didnt have traditional removable insoles it was more like a thin piece of fabric directly stitched to the bottom of the shoe.

I would love to see a dissection of these shoes, but there is no way Im using mine lol
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Al Bundy5

Yeah, I thought the same the first time I held a pair in hand. The 98s didnt have traditional removable insoles it was more like a thin piece of fabric directly stitched to the bottom of the shoe.

I would love to see a dissection of these shoes, but there is no way Im using mine lol
laugh.gif

here ya go~
7df16c5b231e7974fe55ab23f4f56722bcf99d34_r.jpg

aac16d5e21177d75f9bcc713039fe3d980fbc242_r.jpg

a1d362265d3725981bd67bf17da0ff2eaa3c296b_r.jpg

d0a26045122d815b7b87b1f33dc84d4705077ef6_r.jpg

87526a25002c0165705761f4f1d3147004f5e283_r.jpg

Back
Top Bottom