The GOAT: "I would not have called Larry and Magic and say let’s play together"

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by dland24

I really dont see how Magic choosing to enter the draft to play with Kareem is even in the same neighborhood of LeBron leaving a team that has the best record in the East 2 years running. You are talking about a college kid, who if he goes in the draft, is the #1 overall pick and gets to play with a player who was likely one of his basketball heroes. Thats the same thing as a 25 year old superstar abandoning a 61 win team?

OK.
If Chicago had landed the pick, Magic Johnson would have been back at MSU for his Jr. year.  Magic went on record saying he wouldn't have teamed up with Bird/Jordan in the wake of what went down with Lebron, but his ONLY reason for coming out of MSU was to play with Kareem.  There are parallels. 

Alot of hypotheticals in that statement champ.

I really dont see how Magic choosing to enter the draft to play with Kareem is even in the same neighborhood of LeBron leaving a team that has the best record in the East 2 years running. You are talking about a college kid, who if he goes in the draft, is the #1 overall pick and gets to play with a player who was likely one of his basketball heroes. Thats the same thing as a 25 year old superstar abandoning a 61 win team?

OK.
If Chicago had landed the pick, Magic Johnson would have been back at MSU for his Jr. year.  Magic went on record saying he wouldn't have teamed up with Bird/Jordan in the wake of what went down with Lebron, but his ONLY reason for coming out of MSU was to play with Kareem.  There are parallels. 

Originally Posted by JsindaA

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

Originally Posted by ledafuture36

LeBron has had it easy his whole life. Everything handed to him. He doesn't work hard on his game most of it is natural ability.
What champion caliber player has long choreographed dance routines during player announcements? They worked on those routines

duringpractice! What champion caliber player, when facing a elimination game,stand at half court and shoot underhanded shots the whole 

time?LeBron doesn't want to work hard or take it seriously, he wants it easyfor him. That's why he liked the Dream Team so much.
Shut up. I'm a couple pages late but he had NOTHING easy as a child. If your mom being strung out 80% of your childhood while you move from hood to hood is easy then what the f is hard? I don't say much about his personal life out of respect for his wishes....but you're mad disrespectful g. Get that hate out of your blood.

Cry me a river.. now I should respect LeBron? Let's not waste anymore time on his childhoodthat's not gonna get anywhere. Let's talk about "LeFraud", the man today. You use this word "respect" with LeBron. Where was the respect he showed hometown fans and a organizationwho would've taken a bullet for this kid when he decided to do a 1 hour special on ESPN?Where was the respect he showed one of the most respected coaches in college basketball, Izzo?Wouldn't even give this guy the time of day. But I need to respect LeBron cause he had a "hard"childhood? I know people personally that came from less and have become better people thenLeBron. I critique LeBron based on his own actions homie, so its not "hate". Its not like I havesome LeBron dart board at home and spend all night throwing at it. I don't even care that he wentto Miami but don't sell me that this kid is a positive "from nothing to something" story cause that's a joke.Then again he's only 25 and I'm sure he will grow up and realize how much of a d-bag he was being.But at this moment I'm commenting on what LeBron's actions recently mean to me. Butin these situations no one is right or wrong cause no one knows LeBron and its ALL opinion. Itsjust fun to debate it cause what he did has never been done in sports before.

LeBron has had it easy his whole life. Everything handed to him. He doesn't work hard on his game most of it is natural ability.
What champion caliber player has long choreographed dance routines during player announcements? They worked on those routines

duringpractice! What champion caliber player, when facing a elimination game,stand at half court and shoot underhanded shots the whole 

time?LeBron doesn't want to work hard or take it seriously, he wants it easyfor him. That's why he liked the Dream Team so much.
Shut up. I'm a couple pages late but he had NOTHING easy as a child. If your mom being strung out 80% of your childhood while you move from hood to hood is easy then what the f is hard? I don't say much about his personal life out of respect for his wishes....but you're mad disrespectful g. Get that hate out of your blood.

Cry me a river.. now I should respect LeBron? Let's not waste anymore time on his childhoodthat's not gonna get anywhere. Let's talk about "LeFraud", the man today. You use this word "respect" with LeBron. Where was the respect he showed hometown fans and a organizationwho would've taken a bullet for this kid when he decided to do a 1 hour special on ESPN?Where was the respect he showed one of the most respected coaches in college basketball, Izzo?Wouldn't even give this guy the time of day. But I need to respect LeBron cause he had a "hard"childhood? I know people personally that came from less and have become better people thenLeBron. I critique LeBron based on his own actions homie, so its not "hate". Its not like I havesome LeBron dart board at home and spend all night throwing at it. I don't even care that he wentto Miami but don't sell me that this kid is a positive "from nothing to something" story cause that's a joke.Then again he's only 25 and I'm sure he will grow up and realize how much of a d-bag he was being.But at this moment I'm commenting on what LeBron's actions recently mean to me. Butin these situations no one is right or wrong cause no one knows LeBron and its ALL opinion. Itsjust fun to debate it cause what he did has never been done in sports before.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

OK.

laugh.gif
 as if magic knew the bulls were gonna end up with mike and that portland was going to draft sam bowie

OK.

laugh.gif
 as if magic knew the bulls were gonna end up with mike and that portland was going to draft sam bowie

Grasping at straws. Taking a quote from magic when he was in COLLEGE and not yet an established player in the league and comparing that to lebrons situation??

laugh.gif

Grasping at straws. Taking a quote from magic when he was in COLLEGE and not yet an established player in the league and comparing that to lebrons situation??

laugh.gif

LeBron stood on the doorstep of greatness, knocked on the door, the door swung open. LeBron looked inside and seen what the path to greatness would require

And this is what he saw:

b501f8.png

LeBron stood on the doorstep of greatness, knocked on the door, the door swung open. LeBron looked inside and seen what the path to greatness would require

And this is what he saw:

b501f8.png

OK.

Funny how you claim my statement which is directly from a QUOTE out of the mouth of Magic Johnson is full of hypotheticals, when you co-sign EVERYTHING Magic had to say in the wake of LeBron signing w. the Heat.....champ.

OK.

Funny how you claim my statement which is directly from a QUOTE out of the mouth of Magic Johnson is full of hypotheticals, when you co-sign EVERYTHING Magic had to say in the wake of LeBron signing w. the Heat.....champ.

lol. That's pretty good. CP said it best though. I've read a couple of posts talking about LeBron not having any help. Well all the signings and trades that Cavs made, were done with LeBron's blessing. But whenever the Cavs went after a big player, they wouldn't sign, why? LeBron would not commit or even show that he might commit to the Cavs. All this LeBron played with bums and sorry players is nonsense. You don't win 60+ games playing with bums. But you do lose in the playoffs when the player knows if he keeps advancing it's going to affect his ability to gracefully leave his current team. The Celtics were a great fall back excuse. Oh they're a great defensive team and they outplayed us and they didn't allow me to get to my spots on the floor. Yeah ok LeBron, whatever you say homie. 3 years in the making yall. LeBron didn't want the Cavs to advance or get real good because then he would be scrutinized for his decision on leaving. I mean hell, LeBron messed up the Cavs getting Mike Miller, told him wait for his decision. Dude str8 handcuffed the Cavs orginization for the past three years and at least the next two or three. !*+!@ is a @%+!*

lol. That's pretty good. CP said it best though. I've read a couple of posts talking about LeBron not having any help. Well all the signings and trades that Cavs made, were done with LeBron's blessing. But whenever the Cavs went after a big player, they wouldn't sign, why? LeBron would not commit or even show that he might commit to the Cavs. All this LeBron played with bums and sorry players is nonsense. You don't win 60+ games playing with bums. But you do lose in the playoffs when the player knows if he keeps advancing it's going to affect his ability to gracefully leave his current team. The Celtics were a great fall back excuse. Oh they're a great defensive team and they outplayed us and they didn't allow me to get to my spots on the floor. Yeah ok LeBron, whatever you say homie. 3 years in the making yall. LeBron didn't want the Cavs to advance or get real good because then he would be scrutinized for his decision on leaving. I mean hell, LeBron messed up the Cavs getting Mike Miller, told him wait for his decision. Dude str8 handcuffed the Cavs orginization for the past three years and at least the next two or three. !*+!@ is a @%+!*

Like I said shut up you sound stupid. How the hell do you bring up someone's(mind you someone you do not know) entire life then try to disregard his childhood. Childhood is a part of life idiot. He didn't disrepect Akron AT ALL. Cleveland eh maybe, the organization definitely, but Akron? Not at all. I never said you had to respect him g, don't know WHY you're bringing that up but you do not know what goes on behind closed doors to question his character. Even the best men don't handle every situation correctly. I don't know how you could take his decision and say that his life is not a positive nothing to something story. I don't even know how you could take anything that you've known about him for the short 10 years he's been in the national public eye and make that deduction. It's obvious you have some sort of negative bias towards him and now is the perfect time to let it out.....we get it.

Like I said shut up you sound stupid. How the hell do you bring up someone's(mind you someone you do not know) entire life then try to disregard his childhood. Childhood is a part of life idiot. He didn't disrepect Akron AT ALL. Cleveland eh maybe, the organization definitely, but Akron? Not at all. I never said you had to respect him g, don't know WHY you're bringing that up but you do not know what goes on behind closed doors to question his character. Even the best men don't handle every situation correctly. I don't know how you could take his decision and say that his life is not a positive nothing to something story. I don't even know how you could take anything that you've known about him for the short 10 years he's been in the national public eye and make that deduction. It's obvious you have some sort of negative bias towards him and now is the perfect time to let it out.....we get it.

In my opinion it is easy for michael, magic or larry to say they did not want to team up and play together.  They all had future hall of famers on the team with them and it was a very different league back then.  
Michael had : scottie pippen (hall of famer, and top 50) dennis rodman (should be a hall of famer) toni kukoc (at that time one of the best players in the world), ron harper ( who dialed down his game to be with the bulls)

Larry had : kevin mchale (top 50, who did not even start and was a 6th man) robert parish (top 50) bill walton (top 50, even though he was injured most of the time) rick carlise, dennis johnson (hall of famer) , 

Magic had : kareem (top 50), big game james (top 50) , michael cooper ( multiple defensive player of the year and 1st team all defense), kurt rambis (consistent performer on multiple championship teams), 

there are probably some other players that I am missing with some accolades that I can't remember right now.  But when you look at Lebron's cast and crew outside of a past his prime shaq is there anybody, who will even make the hall of fame.  I will always say this lebron other 4 starters were backups backing up backups.  This year clev. only could have signed lebron and not brought him any help again.  I mean what good is it to take scrubs to 60 plus wins and go hone in the second round every year.  The antwan jamision trade was just a wasted move.  I am willing to bet that if jordan, magic or bird had the cast lebron had they would have jumped ship as well.  Here is a good comparison on our level :  When we go to our local gym or park do we get on a team with 4 scrubs and try to run the gym , or do you get a a squad with people who you know you can depend on (usually the better folks in the gym) and run the gym.  I think we all try to get on the best possible team.   So consequently that is what we have here, some one who wanted to get on a better team even if it meant taking a diminishing role.  I mean Lebron was on pace to have the all time scoring record by 36 but what does that matter, if you are not winning and you are going home in the second round every year with no stars on your team.  IF lebron had a dependable number 2 guy like a pippen, then i could see him staying but he did not have that so I can not blame him for leaving.

In my opinion it is easy for michael, magic or larry to say they did not want to team up and play together.  They all had future hall of famers on the team with them and it was a very different league back then.  
Michael had : scottie pippen (hall of famer, and top 50) dennis rodman (should be a hall of famer) toni kukoc (at that time one of the best players in the world), ron harper ( who dialed down his game to be with the bulls)

Larry had : kevin mchale (top 50, who did not even start and was a 6th man) robert parish (top 50) bill walton (top 50, even though he was injured most of the time) rick carlise, dennis johnson (hall of famer) , 

Magic had : kareem (top 50), big game james (top 50) , michael cooper ( multiple defensive player of the year and 1st team all defense), kurt rambis (consistent performer on multiple championship teams), 

there are probably some other players that I am missing with some accolades that I can't remember right now.  But when you look at Lebron's cast and crew outside of a past his prime shaq is there anybody, who will even make the hall of fame.  I will always say this lebron other 4 starters were backups backing up backups.  This year clev. only could have signed lebron and not brought him any help again.  I mean what good is it to take scrubs to 60 plus wins and go hone in the second round every year.  The antwan jamision trade was just a wasted move.  I am willing to bet that if jordan, magic or bird had the cast lebron had they would have jumped ship as well.  Here is a good comparison on our level :  When we go to our local gym or park do we get on a team with 4 scrubs and try to run the gym , or do you get a a squad with people who you know you can depend on (usually the better folks in the gym) and run the gym.  I think we all try to get on the best possible team.   So consequently that is what we have here, some one who wanted to get on a better team even if it meant taking a diminishing role.  I mean Lebron was on pace to have the all time scoring record by 36 but what does that matter, if you are not winning and you are going home in the second round every year with no stars on your team.  IF lebron had a dependable number 2 guy like a pippen, then i could see him staying but he did not have that so I can not blame him for leaving.

Originally Posted by KB8isCLUTCH

laugh.gif

keep laughing buddy. Did you read the fact that he said that during the NBA FINALS AGAINST THE BULLS in CHICAGO. 

Magic said that he was looking to beat Bird from college. FROM COLLEGE! They were rivals from the get go. Lebron never played against these boys in college cuz he never went. There is no natural rivalry there. Toronto is and always will be irrelevant as will and more so, Cleveland. Free agents didnt sign there cuz Lebron's lack of commitment. No, cuz no one wants to go there. plain and simple. At least Toronto is a beautiful city. 

I love the fact that everyone is coming together to spew hate onto the Heat. Ya'll keep spending time arguing your points. I'll come in periodically to smash your ill conceived points and leave to live my life and enjoy the W's racking up while spending Sundays poolside at the W.  

South Florida baby.
HEAT DOLPHINS HURRICANES MARLINS. We continue to build our legacy.

Originally Posted by KB8isCLUTCH

laugh.gif

keep laughing buddy. Did you read the fact that he said that during the NBA FINALS AGAINST THE BULLS in CHICAGO. 

Magic said that he was looking to beat Bird from college. FROM COLLEGE! They were rivals from the get go. Lebron never played against these boys in college cuz he never went. There is no natural rivalry there. Toronto is and always will be irrelevant as will and more so, Cleveland. Free agents didnt sign there cuz Lebron's lack of commitment. No, cuz no one wants to go there. plain and simple. At least Toronto is a beautiful city. 

I love the fact that everyone is coming together to spew hate onto the Heat. Ya'll keep spending time arguing your points. I'll come in periodically to smash your ill conceived points and leave to live my life and enjoy the W's racking up while spending Sundays poolside at the W.  

South Florida baby.
HEAT DOLPHINS HURRICANES MARLINS. We continue to build our legacy.

Hmmmm....

[h3]Magic Johnson sought elite teammates too[/h3]
By Henry Abbott
Archive

Magic Johnson joins the cavalcade of those saying, essentially, hey LeBron James, real men don't play with superstars.
"We didn't think about it 'cause that's not what we were about," Johnson said at Baruch College in New York, according to Bloomberg News. "From college, I was trying to figure out how to beat Larry Bird."

This past weekend, Jordan said at a celebrity golf event that he never would have played with Johnson or Bird, his two main rivals during his playing days.

"There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry [Bird], called up Magic [Johnson] and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team,'" Jordan said after playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada. The interview aired on the NBC telecast of the event. "But that's ... things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

TrueHoop reader Mike, however, takes special exception to the idea that Johnson would stick with a mediocre roster over playing with superstars. He e-mails:
As much as I admire and respect these players, it becomes hard to take them seriously when none of them had situations comparable to LeBron, and all of the them got to play with other great, Top-50 All-Time players. The quest to play with other elite talent is basically universal amongst stars, be it Wilt going to join Hal Greer and later Jerry West and Elgin Baylor or all the way up to Kobe openly flirting with the Bulls and Clippers and threatening trade demands until the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol.

The fact that LeBron simply exercised his rights as a free agent to leave Cleveland to do what countless other players have done, rather than demand trades or refuse to play for the team that drafted him, should not be held against him.

I'm not even a fan of LeBron, but at this point I think he's getting dumped on pretty unfairly.

And in the case of Magic Johnson, Mike has done his homework. He found a Mike Downey L.A. Times article from 1991

Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life." Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers."

Then Mike gets to comparing the Lakers who played with Johnson in his first seven years to the Cavaliers who played with James over the same period. Johnson's teammates, in aggregate, had:

• Two first team All-Rookie selections (Byron Scott, James Worthy)
  • 11 All-Star appearances (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar seven times, Norm Nixon twice, Worthy, Jamaal Wilkes)
  • Four All-NBA first team selections (Abdul-Jabbar)
  • Two All-NBA second team selections (Abdul-Jabbar)
  • Five All-Defensive first team selections (Michael Cooper three times, Abdul-Jabbar twice)
  • Four All-Defensive second team selections (Cooper three times, Abdul-Jabbar once)
  • One MVP Award (Abdul-Jabbar)
  • In addition, Abdul-Jabbar, Worthy, Wilkes, Nixon, and Cooper all got votes for MVP at one point in time or the other during Magic's first seven years, and Cooper won defensive player of the year in Johnson's eighth year.
Mike does a similar analysis on James' Cavs' rosters:
  • Zero first team All-Rookie Selections
  • Two All-Star game appearances (Mo Williams, Zydrunas llgauskas)
  • Zero All-NBA first team selection
  • Zero All-NBA second team selections
  • Zero All-Defensive first team selections
  • One All-Defensive second team selection (Anderson Vareajo)
  • Zero MVP Awards
Mike adds, in conclusion:
In order to have a situation even comparable to Magic's, LeBron would have needed to be drafted onto, say, Tim Duncan's team (to parallel Abdul-Jabbar), played the last six years with a prime Bruce Bowen (to parallel Michael Cooper), and had the Cavs draft Danny Granger in his third year (as a parallel to Worthy), and that's ignoring guys like Scott/Wilkes/McAdoo etc.

I mean, let's be real, if LeBron had been in a situation like that does anyone doubt that he would have stayed? That he would already have multiple titles and that we'd be talking about his place amongst the top 10-15 players of all-time instead of dumping on his competitive fire? Magic had it easy, which make his comments seem absolutely ridiculous.

Link

realest @!+$ i've read throughout this thread, everything i've been hearing in the media, and convo's i've had about this with people I know. 
Lebron had no real support... everyone who's mad just wants to see a "superman" save the day by himself so he can have the "throne of greatness" by himself

people need to get their heads out of this "a superstar needs to lead his team by himself" cloud that they are stuck in and realize that there was a reason why they called the Lakers of the 80's the "SHOWTIME LAKERS". they had a squad filled with superior talent. hall of fame caliber players, and an amazing coach (the same mastermind that put this miami situation together) 

ask any rookie what they would want coming into the league, and they would say the same thing Magic said about Kareem. the reason Mike, Larry and Magic would never team up to play together is because the knew they had teams that were more than capable of supporting them and that was the fire they needed behind them to take each other down. 

Lebron, Wade, and Kobe are the equivalent of Mike, Larry, and Magic in this day an age. Out of the three, Kobe is the only one that really has a team suitable to support them to championships (obviously, given the back to back championships these past 2 years). If these three have been going at each other for this long, and Kobe is the only one who comes out on top every year, what do you expect Wade and Lebron to do? Sit back and let Kobe get 2-3 more rings and then after he retires they try to scoop up draft picks and subpar trades to build championship teams now that Kobe is gone? then all you all will be saying is "they couldn't do it while kobe was around, so they had to wait and build teams. they dont have what it takes to be great, blah blah blah." or "Mike wouldn't sit back and wait for Magic to retire to build a team, Mike wouldn't do this, Mike wouldnt do that, blah blah blah"

all of you are just complaining. half of you are just mad because Lebron didn't go to your team, and the other half are just stuck in 1993's nostalgia. 

nobody would have cared if Lebron, Wade, and Bosh ended up on the same team when they were all drafted... why is it such a big deal now? out of the three, Wade is the only one with a ring, so why are you all putting Lebron on this high pedestal complaining about how he will never really be great when Wade is the one who has already started a legacy? 

and I bet if CP3 and Melo end up on the Knicks NOBODY will complain. so half of you just need to admit that you're really just Bron Bron haters and leave it at that. you don't care about the mans legacy, you just don't want him on a championship team. you're too used to him being on Cleveland and not making it all the way. now he's in a position to legitimately get a ring, and you're salty. 

longest #%@$%$* response i've ever typed, but thank you DoubleJs for posting that article. some people needed that clarification... 

Back
Top Bottom