The GOAT: "I would not have called Larry and Magic and say let’s play together"

Originally Posted by NobleKane

bijald0331 wrote:

Why are you acting like almost every other NBA player hasn't been coddled their whole life?

nobody is acting like anything but when you try and get sympathy for lebron by using the "projects" THEN state the above sentence it makes you look like a total $$$. so because dude pointed out lebron was getting hummers and other perks you change your story about the "projects" and whine like a $%!!+ by saying "well every other player gets pampered too"??

please. lemme know what struggles come with a hummer. the *%*+ outta here
laugh.gif

"LeBron has had it easy his whole life. Everything handed to him. He doesn't work hard on his game most of it is natural ability."
LeBron doesn't want to work hard or take it seriously,"

Look at the context. I admit I backtracked a little because his childhood is obviously split up pre-HS and during HS. Someone said he has had it easy his entire life and has not worked hard on his game. Really? I call this hyperbole because it is. People are twisting the story just to satisfy themselves.

Again, I make the Kobe comparison. These guys both have been worshipped during HS and beyond. They both have huge egos. Kobe wants to be the best and greatest recognized player. He'll take down whomever to get that title (widely-documented). LeBron doesn't want it like that. He's more enveloped with his global empire. I don't see how either of these legacy value judgments can be assumed from having it easy his entire life when Kobe had it easy and went in a different direction. Point is, different people want different things and I don't think those desires came from having it easy.

All I'm trying to say is that people are exaggerating their comments and criticisms and it just looks stupid if you look at the facts of the matter.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

bijald0331 wrote:

Why are you acting like almost every other NBA player hasn't been coddled their whole life?

nobody is acting like anything but when you try and get sympathy for lebron by using the "projects" THEN state the above sentence it makes you look like a total $$$. so because dude pointed out lebron was getting hummers and other perks you change your story about the "projects" and whine like a $%!!+ by saying "well every other player gets pampered too"??

please. lemme know what struggles come with a hummer. the *%*+ outta here
laugh.gif

"LeBron has had it easy his whole life. Everything handed to him. He doesn't work hard on his game most of it is natural ability."
LeBron doesn't want to work hard or take it seriously,"

Look at the context. I admit I backtracked a little because his childhood is obviously split up pre-HS and during HS. Someone said he has had it easy his entire life and has not worked hard on his game. Really? I call this hyperbole because it is. People are twisting the story just to satisfy themselves.

Again, I make the Kobe comparison. These guys both have been worshipped during HS and beyond. They both have huge egos. Kobe wants to be the best and greatest recognized player. He'll take down whomever to get that title (widely-documented). LeBron doesn't want it like that. He's more enveloped with his global empire. I don't see how either of these legacy value judgments can be assumed from having it easy his entire life when Kobe had it easy and went in a different direction. Point is, different people want different things and I don't think those desires came from having it easy.

All I'm trying to say is that people are exaggerating their comments and criticisms and it just looks stupid if you look at the facts of the matter.

okay chill with the he had an easy life stuff. he grew up in the hood with no father, a mom that had sex with his teammate during the playoffs, and a million vultures around him. i think he's a +**$! but that;s just too much

okay chill with the he had an easy life stuff. he grew up in the hood with no father, a mom that had sex with his teammate during the playoffs, and a million vultures around him. i think he's a +**$! but that;s just too much

Anybody who says LeBron had it "hard" must be some rich kid from the burbs. Look around homietimes is hard for a lot of people. Does that give u an excuse to be a D-Bag? Plus if he had itas bad as people say he did then why the hell does he do his 1 hour special from one of therichest cities in america? Why ain't he in compton giving it back to those kids? Instead he's at acity where the butlers have butlers! I will conceed and say he he had a semi-tough life until he hithigh school. So 12 years of his life, which ain't nothin', it was difficult. WOW! But on the realI've wikipedia Akron and it ain't that bad. Sounds like a lot of cities I grew up in. I didn't knowthat I lived in the "ghetto" my whole life. Actually statistically its equal to Spokane, Washington.Regardless I wish LeBron the best but don't tell me he ain't a front running bandwagon guy.He ain't a "king", he ain't the "chosen one", we are not all "witnesses". We are all "naive" andfell for his self proclaimed greatness...but it makes it interesting to watch.. I just hope the heatdon't beat the bulls' 72-10 record cause its not deserved...

Anybody who says LeBron had it "hard" must be some rich kid from the burbs. Look around homietimes is hard for a lot of people. Does that give u an excuse to be a D-Bag? Plus if he had itas bad as people say he did then why the hell does he do his 1 hour special from one of therichest cities in america? Why ain't he in compton giving it back to those kids? Instead he's at acity where the butlers have butlers! I will conceed and say he he had a semi-tough life until he hithigh school. So 12 years of his life, which ain't nothin', it was difficult. WOW! But on the realI've wikipedia Akron and it ain't that bad. Sounds like a lot of cities I grew up in. I didn't knowthat I lived in the "ghetto" my whole life. Actually statistically its equal to Spokane, Washington.Regardless I wish LeBron the best but don't tell me he ain't a front running bandwagon guy.He ain't a "king", he ain't the "chosen one", we are not all "witnesses". We are all "naive" andfell for his self proclaimed greatness...but it makes it interesting to watch.. I just hope the heatdon't beat the bulls' 72-10 record cause its not deserved...

ehh a lot of hate in this thread...

for all we know he may hit the game winner in game 7 of the finals

all these paragraphs for speculation... we have yet to see if he made the right choice.

it was Kareem's team before Magic showed up. Although Magic was drafted, my point is... its up in the air for LBJ to make it his.

things change ALL THE TIME

ehh a lot of hate in this thread...

for all we know he may hit the game winner in game 7 of the finals

all these paragraphs for speculation... we have yet to see if he made the right choice.

it was Kareem's team before Magic showed up. Although Magic was drafted, my point is... its up in the air for LBJ to make it his.

things change ALL THE TIME

You're saying he had it easy though. The exact opposite. 12 years? He's only 25! That's nearly half of his life...

You can't admit you were hyperbolic. You don't even mention your idiotic statement on LeBron's work ethic. Keep going though, it's amusing.

You're saying he had it easy though. The exact opposite. 12 years? He's only 25! That's nearly half of his life...

You can't admit you were hyperbolic. You don't even mention your idiotic statement on LeBron's work ethic. Keep going though, it's amusing.

Like others have said, MJ, Magic and Larry all had serious talent around them. Magic and had Kareem and Worth and Scott and Cooper and others. Bird was part of the best front line in history. MJ had less help but having Scottie Pippen, who is a close second behind Larry Bird as the best 3 of all time and is the best defensive player in the last 30 years, as well as Horace Grant who was very underrated meant that he had more support then LeBron had in Cleveland.

LeBron has never had a legit second guy on that team. There has been no Pippen, Gasol or even a Parker/Ginobili guy who can pick up the slack for the team's best player.

Plus, LeBron is not joining a team of guys who are as great as Magic and Bird. Dwayne Wade is very good but still no Magic, LeBron is not as good as MJ and Bosh is no where near the impact player that Larry Bird was. The talent level on this Heat team is high but the last few years have seen some super teams form like the Lakers and the Celtics. The "Miami Thrice" had to form in order to really be able to compete against the Lakers and Celtics and Magic right now and to be able to compete with that budding super team in OKC or some other team where talent decides to collaborate and concentrate.

One of the reasons why the Bulls did win six championships in the 90's, without a lot of depth or a dominant center was because the talent was widely diffused all around the league and all of the contenders all had serious flaws, there we no super teams in the 90s, no teams with three super stars in the prime of their careers. If the 1993 Suns had David Robinson, if the 1992 Knicks had Gary Payton and Clyde Drexler or the 1996 Super Sonics had Hakeem Olajuwon or the 1997 Jazz had Patrick Ewing, MJ would not have six rings and he would probably have demanding that the Bulls bring in additional talent in order to be able to compete for a championship.

Finally, the comparison is also off because Magic, Bird and MJ were by far the best three players in the league circa 1988. Lebron is the only guy who is the best at his position (and in the not so distant future Kevin Durant may be the best three). Kobe is a better guard then Wade and Bosh is definitely not the best at his position, Gasol is clearly better and so is Carlos Boozer and Tim Duncan (if he is somewhat healthy) and maybe even Amare.

Like others have said, MJ, Magic and Larry all had serious talent around them. Magic and had Kareem and Worth and Scott and Cooper and others. Bird was part of the best front line in history. MJ had less help but having Scottie Pippen, who is a close second behind Larry Bird as the best 3 of all time and is the best defensive player in the last 30 years, as well as Horace Grant who was very underrated meant that he had more support then LeBron had in Cleveland.

LeBron has never had a legit second guy on that team. There has been no Pippen, Gasol or even a Parker/Ginobili guy who can pick up the slack for the team's best player.

Plus, LeBron is not joining a team of guys who are as great as Magic and Bird. Dwayne Wade is very good but still no Magic, LeBron is not as good as MJ and Bosh is no where near the impact player that Larry Bird was. The talent level on this Heat team is high but the last few years have seen some super teams form like the Lakers and the Celtics. The "Miami Thrice" had to form in order to really be able to compete against the Lakers and Celtics and Magic right now and to be able to compete with that budding super team in OKC or some other team where talent decides to collaborate and concentrate.

One of the reasons why the Bulls did win six championships in the 90's, without a lot of depth or a dominant center was because the talent was widely diffused all around the league and all of the contenders all had serious flaws, there we no super teams in the 90s, no teams with three super stars in the prime of their careers. If the 1993 Suns had David Robinson, if the 1992 Knicks had Gary Payton and Clyde Drexler or the 1996 Super Sonics had Hakeem Olajuwon or the 1997 Jazz had Patrick Ewing, MJ would not have six rings and he would probably have demanding that the Bulls bring in additional talent in order to be able to compete for a championship.

Finally, the comparison is also off because Magic, Bird and MJ were by far the best three players in the league circa 1988. Lebron is the only guy who is the best at his position (and in the not so distant future Kevin Durant may be the best three). Kobe is a better guard then Wade and Bosh is definitely not the best at his position, Gasol is clearly better and so is Carlos Boozer and Tim Duncan (if he is somewhat healthy) and maybe even Amare.

Lol.. I was being sarcastis homie.. He's from Akron, Ohio man! Its equal to Spokane, Washington.Its not ghetto! C'mon, a single mom upbringing?! OMG, he's an only child I know 3 women right nowdoing the same thing! Its not un common man! When I say work ethic, I'm right. In the eliminationgame against Boston he's shooting half court shots the whole time during warm ups! Pre-gamedance rountines! Take it seriously man! That's how talented he is, despise all of that he still hassoooo much god given talent, that he's still amazing but the truly great ones still worked harder thenany other player out there. LeBron doesn't do that. His practices have been documented, a lotof joking and clowning around, during the playoffs! Then he wonders why they lose. If u can name me1, just 1, top 10 player, nevermind, top 20 player that does that? Oh, that's right u kids call that"Swag".. and I'm just a "hater".. I'm done after this cause this whole time in every post I have statedthat I don't have a problem with what LeBron did, just the way he handled it and the facthe sold people a bag of goods not true. He put this on himself, he called himself "king", he gottatted "chosen one" across his back. He wears shirts that read, "check the $tat$".. now he hasbacklash based on HIS OWN ACTIONS! But we are "haters" for pointing this out..

Lol.. I was being sarcastis homie.. He's from Akron, Ohio man! Its equal to Spokane, Washington.Its not ghetto! C'mon, a single mom upbringing?! OMG, he's an only child I know 3 women right nowdoing the same thing! Its not un common man! When I say work ethic, I'm right. In the eliminationgame against Boston he's shooting half court shots the whole time during warm ups! Pre-gamedance rountines! Take it seriously man! That's how talented he is, despise all of that he still hassoooo much god given talent, that he's still amazing but the truly great ones still worked harder thenany other player out there. LeBron doesn't do that. His practices have been documented, a lotof joking and clowning around, during the playoffs! Then he wonders why they lose. If u can name me1, just 1, top 10 player, nevermind, top 20 player that does that? Oh, that's right u kids call that"Swag".. and I'm just a "hater".. I'm done after this cause this whole time in every post I have statedthat I don't have a problem with what LeBron did, just the way he handled it and the facthe sold people a bag of goods not true. He put this on himself, he called himself "king", he gottatted "chosen one" across his back. He wears shirts that read, "check the $tat$".. now he hasbacklash based on HIS OWN ACTIONS! But we are "haters" for pointing this out..

Bron is different from everyone else excluding the Kobe's, Jordan's, Magic's, etc. because of how he has been portrayed. This portrayal of a man who deems all watchers "Witnesses" and tats "Chosen 1" across his back now comes off as someone of much less caliber. To put it simply: he, the league, the media, nike and everyone else were already calling Bron "The Man" prematurely. He appeared to be on the path to fitting the name while inspiring awe for the past 7 seasons. The problem now lies in the fact that "The Man" cannot be seen as simply support for another star, no matter how good that support is.

LeBron DEFINITELY fed into this "King" persona (on the contrary to what many in this thread have said) so now he has to bite the bullet. He bit off more than he could chew.

Seriously, how can Nike market him as the King now?

*this is coming from an avid LeBron fan btw*

Bron is different from everyone else excluding the Kobe's, Jordan's, Magic's, etc. because of how he has been portrayed. This portrayal of a man who deems all watchers "Witnesses" and tats "Chosen 1" across his back now comes off as someone of much less caliber. To put it simply: he, the league, the media, nike and everyone else were already calling Bron "The Man" prematurely. He appeared to be on the path to fitting the name while inspiring awe for the past 7 seasons. The problem now lies in the fact that "The Man" cannot be seen as simply support for another star, no matter how good that support is.

LeBron DEFINITELY fed into this "King" persona (on the contrary to what many in this thread have said) so now he has to bite the bullet. He bit off more than he could chew.

Seriously, how can Nike market him as the King now?

*this is coming from an avid LeBron fan btw*

I'm sorry for the bad spelling. I'm in a bar in the "ghetto"cause most of my friends were raisedby single moms and went to private schools.. lol.. I hope LeBron's fan base is a lot smarterthen these dudes defending him on niketalk.. obviously I don't get these kids nowadays butthat's cool.. just consider me old school and behind the times, cause I'm not gonna relate tothese young bucks.. War the Heat winnig the finals and beating the Bulls' 72-10 recordWar LeBron overcoming the harsh hood of Akron, OhioOUT..Rack him!

I'm sorry for the bad spelling. I'm in a bar in the "ghetto"cause most of my friends were raisedby single moms and went to private schools.. lol.. I hope LeBron's fan base is a lot smarterthen these dudes defending him on niketalk.. obviously I don't get these kids nowadays butthat's cool.. just consider me old school and behind the times, cause I'm not gonna relate tothese young bucks.. War the Heat winnig the finals and beating the Bulls' 72-10 recordWar LeBron overcoming the harsh hood of Akron, OhioOUT..Rack him!

man stop. i hate lebron more than most people on this board but the kid didn't have the easiest path through life. you think it's fun being the meal ticket for his whole family and entourage before he grew hair on his balls? having the media in your business since you 12? having yours moms have sex with a teammate during the playoffs?

man stop. i hate lebron more than most people on this board but the kid didn't have the easiest path through life. you think it's fun being the meal ticket for his whole family and entourage before he grew hair on his balls? having the media in your business since you 12? having yours moms have sex with a teammate during the playoffs?

Originally Posted by n1rb

Originally Posted by philly5fan

Im sure Lebron wouldn't have went anywhere else if he played in a big city like Chicago... with one of the greatest coaches of all time and one of the NBA top 50 greatest players as his sidekick.. with all the perfect role players

But if MJ played in Cle with that squad he woulda been outta there asap... and probably killed a few of his teammates before he left out the way he used to do them in practice lol
Scottie Pippen became one of the greatest players of all time playing alongside MJ.. and Phil Jackson became one of the greatest coaches of all time because he coached MJ.. Its not like Jordan got to handpick which team he was gonna play for.. he got drafted by Chicago so he stuck it out with them and made them the elite team of 90s. Do you really think Scottie Pippen would be one of the 50 greatest players ever if Seattle had kept him? Jordan made those role-players look better than they were also. Do you think people would really remember guys like B.J Armstrong and John Paxson and Bill Cartwright if they never played alongside MJ? (Jordan did have alot of good players for the second 3-peat but that was because he had already made the Bulls a mini-dynasty and other players wanted to go to Chocago and be apart of that) Saying Jordan would have left is a pathetic argument that is based on absolutely zero truths or facts to try and support Lebrons decision. Im not bashing Lebron for leaving Cleveland but he could have went to another team where he would have been "the man" and had a chance to continue his legacy of greatness and make a bid at being the G.O.A.T. Imagine if he would have went to Chicago, where he would have had a chance to expand on the dynasty that Jordan started and he could have been the second in line of great Bulls players (like how Elgin Baylor and Jerry West passed the torch to Magic and Kareem and they passed it to Kobe and Shaq).. But he chose to go to Miami and play with two already established all-stars so all the Lebron fans have to live that.. it just is what it is

^ Someone with sense! Good observation n saved me some writing

Originally Posted by n1rb

Originally Posted by philly5fan

Im sure Lebron wouldn't have went anywhere else if he played in a big city like Chicago... with one of the greatest coaches of all time and one of the NBA top 50 greatest players as his sidekick.. with all the perfect role players

But if MJ played in Cle with that squad he woulda been outta there asap... and probably killed a few of his teammates before he left out the way he used to do them in practice lol
Scottie Pippen became one of the greatest players of all time playing alongside MJ.. and Phil Jackson became one of the greatest coaches of all time because he coached MJ.. Its not like Jordan got to handpick which team he was gonna play for.. he got drafted by Chicago so he stuck it out with them and made them the elite team of 90s. Do you really think Scottie Pippen would be one of the 50 greatest players ever if Seattle had kept him? Jordan made those role-players look better than they were also. Do you think people would really remember guys like B.J Armstrong and John Paxson and Bill Cartwright if they never played alongside MJ? (Jordan did have alot of good players for the second 3-peat but that was because he had already made the Bulls a mini-dynasty and other players wanted to go to Chocago and be apart of that) Saying Jordan would have left is a pathetic argument that is based on absolutely zero truths or facts to try and support Lebrons decision. Im not bashing Lebron for leaving Cleveland but he could have went to another team where he would have been "the man" and had a chance to continue his legacy of greatness and make a bid at being the G.O.A.T. Imagine if he would have went to Chicago, where he would have had a chance to expand on the dynasty that Jordan started and he could have been the second in line of great Bulls players (like how Elgin Baylor and Jerry West passed the torch to Magic and Kareem and they passed it to Kobe and Shaq).. But he chose to go to Miami and play with two already established all-stars so all the Lebron fans have to live that.. it just is what it is

^ Someone with sense! Good observation n saved me some writing

Originally Posted by DiRkNaStY41

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

I think most of the people who defend Bron or think it was a good decision, don't value greatness. The journey to become great is different from just being great. A man that strives to become great, who sacrifices to become great, who wills himself to greatness and values the steps it takes to become great is held in higher regard than the man who is just great. It's just like some guy who inherited a large fortune. Sure he will be celebrated and patted on the back for inheriting that fortune and being rich, but the opposite man who puts in the hours, the sacrifice, the fortitude, and will, will be held in higher regard than that other man.

LeBron stood on the doorstep of greatness, knocked on the door, the door swung open. LeBron looked inside and seen what the path to greatness would require, homie turned around and said, nah I just rather be great, greatNESS is too much work. It's that simple
Props on this

Very well said

Originally Posted by DiRkNaStY41

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

I think most of the people who defend Bron or think it was a good decision, don't value greatness. The journey to become great is different from just being great. A man that strives to become great, who sacrifices to become great, who wills himself to greatness and values the steps it takes to become great is held in higher regard than the man who is just great. It's just like some guy who inherited a large fortune. Sure he will be celebrated and patted on the back for inheriting that fortune and being rich, but the opposite man who puts in the hours, the sacrifice, the fortitude, and will, will be held in higher regard than that other man.

LeBron stood on the doorstep of greatness, knocked on the door, the door swung open. LeBron looked inside and seen what the path to greatness would require, homie turned around and said, nah I just rather be great, greatNESS is too much work. It's that simple
Props on this

Very well said

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

I guess what players like Bird, Magic and MJ mean when they say "I wouldn't join those guys" is that they would want to be the #1 on a winning team. A lot of people had said it before and I will say it. There's a big difference between being great and greatness. Great is just possessing the talent to be great, but greatness is the effort that is placed to be utilized by someone great. Lebron falls under the former and it's a shame that we see it now after 7 years. Guys like Bird, Magic, Kobe and MJ have greatness because even with guys they had whom were all good players,  they beat other teams with good players. Look at Magic's Lakers when they lost to MJ's bulls in 91. He had Byron Scott, James Worthy etc. They had a "stacked" team as well (at the time). But talking about teams is pointless, because thats not the argument here. The argument is that LeBron left his team, his city, his legacy to go to another mans city, team and home. If he wins one, it'll always be recognized that he won with Wade and had to leave his team and join a "Super team" to win one. He just't isn't cut from the same cloth as the great players of the past.

He did take the easy way out by joining other GREAT players (no one is saying they're like MJ, Bird or Magic, but they're all we have now) and not building a team around him or going to another team with good pieces. If he wins the title next year, will it be much of a surprise? No, because people will say that he was supposed to win it. They say that he had a super team and they were "built" to win. That's what made all those championships that MJ won so great. It wasn't because he beat teams for almost an entire decade. No, it was because every year the Bulls were never the clear cut favorite to win. There was always that "other" team(s) that had a chance as well. You just never knew back then and thats what made those championships so amazing.

Even after Lebron win's titles, he will have the Kobe stigma soon after. He will get criticized for not winning them being THE guy on the team and not being the clear cut leader. Those rings will come with extra baggage and LeBron may not feel it after he wins them, but soon enough he will feel the weight of the baggage that those rings will hold. 

Back
Top Bottom