The important blacks in history?

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Are ya'll seriously giving this dude *%%# for creating this topic?

This thread had the potential to be pretty thought provoking yet burned this to the ground. 
30t6p3b.gif

Although the thread title is poorly worded, I thought it could've been a good place to share/trade info.
ohwell.gif

Are ya'll seriously giving this dude *%%# for creating this topic?

This thread had the potential to be pretty thought provoking yet burned this to the ground. 
30t6p3b.gif

Although the thread title is poorly worded, I thought it could've been a good place to share/trade info.
ohwell.gif

Are ya'll seriously giving this dude @%!% for creating this topic?

30t6p3b.gif
The issue with me is that the question directs the answer-er down a path that is not necessarily in a scope that will encompass what was likely the intent.

When you ask a history-related question in relationship to 'blacks', the response is often stacked up against a racial response - because ultimately (whether you like it or not), generally, black history is summed by their struggle against whites and racial equality. Blacks is also equivalent to Afro-American, so then there is a limit that way, as well. So, then in an effort to talk about who is most important - the scope is automatically constrained.

Then, conversely, why do we not ask the same question of whites? Is it because they dominate our American history books? Do we think that there are more white people through history than any other type of people, so the question is so moot because there are too many whites to talk about and sort through?

Then, conversely yet again, why do we not ask the question for the yellows? Is it because they are so marginalized and do not matter as much?

The question, in my opinion, is dumb - If only because it is asked too often and too often answered incorrectly. We limit for no other reason than race, then on top that we want to have some sort of hierarchy.

I'm all over the place on this one, but the approach wasn't good for me - Contrary though, I think we should have more minority studies, but asking for who is most important is not the right approach.

My 50 cent.

Are ya'll seriously giving this dude @%!% for creating this topic?

30t6p3b.gif
The issue with me is that the question directs the answer-er down a path that is not necessarily in a scope that will encompass what was likely the intent.

When you ask a history-related question in relationship to 'blacks', the response is often stacked up against a racial response - because ultimately (whether you like it or not), generally, black history is summed by their struggle against whites and racial equality. Blacks is also equivalent to Afro-American, so then there is a limit that way, as well. So, then in an effort to talk about who is most important - the scope is automatically constrained.

Then, conversely, why do we not ask the same question of whites? Is it because they dominate our American history books? Do we think that there are more white people through history than any other type of people, so the question is so moot because there are too many whites to talk about and sort through?

Then, conversely yet again, why do we not ask the question for the yellows? Is it because they are so marginalized and do not matter as much?

The question, in my opinion, is dumb - If only because it is asked too often and too often answered incorrectly. We limit for no other reason than race, then on top that we want to have some sort of hierarchy.

I'm all over the place on this one, but the approach wasn't good for me - Contrary though, I think we should have more minority studies, but asking for who is most important is not the right approach.

My 50 cent.

Dont forget about Garret a morgan. Created among other the traffic light and the gas mask for the military. These things are used everyday

Dont forget about Garret a morgan. Created among other the traffic light and the gas mask for the military. These things are used everyday

Maybe it's just whoever comes to mind that you think has left the biggest impression on your life overall...nothing more than that.

The question stems from Nelson Mandela who turned 93 today, and OP is asking people to give a list of influential blacks not just in the US but also globally.

The struggles that blacks endured in South Africa during Apartheid often mirror what blacks strove for during the Civil Rights era which is equality for all.

That's why I believe Nelson Mandela transcends not only race but he's also from the same vein as those who voiced their opinions and made actual progress towards the realization of equality for all regardless of the racial barriers that may have been placed before. Some of the said voices may have been militant and others may have been more peaceful in nature, but the fight against injustice is what ultimately ties these individuals together.

Maybe it's just whoever comes to mind that you think has left the biggest impression on your life overall...nothing more than that.

The question stems from Nelson Mandela who turned 93 today, and OP is asking people to give a list of influential blacks not just in the US but also globally.

The struggles that blacks endured in South Africa during Apartheid often mirror what blacks strove for during the Civil Rights era which is equality for all.

That's why I believe Nelson Mandela transcends not only race but he's also from the same vein as those who voiced their opinions and made actual progress towards the realization of equality for all regardless of the racial barriers that may have been placed before. Some of the said voices may have been militant and others may have been more peaceful in nature, but the fight against injustice is what ultimately ties these individuals together.

If anyone cares to read all of this, just some info I found on a few inventors. I like history in general and naturally fond of Black History

http://www.black-inventor.com/Black-Inventors.asp
Benjamin Banneker

But it was his clock invention that really propelled the reputation of Benjamin Banneker. Sometime in the early 1750s, Benjamin borrowed a pocket watch from a wealthy acquaintance, took the watch apart and studied its components. After returning the watch, he created a fully functioning clock entirely out of carved wooden pieces. The clock was amazingly precise, and would keep on ticking for decades. As the result of the attention his self-made clock received, Banneker was able to start up his own watch and clock repair business.

And Benjamin Banneker's accomplishments didn't end there. Borrowing books on astronomy and mathematics from a friend, Benjamin engorged himself in the subjects. Putting his newfound knowledge to use, Banneker accurately predicted a 1789 solar eclipse. In the early 1790s, Banneker added another job title to his resume – author. Benjamin compiled and published his Almanac and Ephemeris of Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland (he would publish the journal annually for over a decade), and even sent a copy to secretary of state Thomas Jefferson along with a letter urging the abolition of slavery.

Impressed by his abilities, Jefferson recommended Banneker to be a part of a surveying team to lay out Washington, D.C. Appointed to the three-man team by president George Washington, Banneker wound up saving the project when the lead architect quit in a fury – taking all the plans with him. Using his meticulous memory, Banneker was able to recreate the plans. Wielding knowledge like a sword, Benjamin Banneker was many things – inventor, scientist, anti-slavery proponent – and, as a result, his legacy lives on to this day.

Garret  Morgan

Many of the world's most famous inventors only produced one major invention that garnered recognition and cemented their prominent status. But Garret Augustus Morgan, one of the country's most successful African-American inventors, created two – the gas mask and the traffic signal.

Lonnie Johnson

Famous black inventor and scientist Lonnie G. Johnson probably didn't have that little scenario in mind when he invented the Super Soaker squirt gun, but it is one of the countless memories that can be recalled by those who were young enough to enjoy the Super Soaker after its release in 1989.

Johnson's resume boasts work with the US Air Force and NASA (including work on the Galileo Jupiter probe and Mars Observer project), a nomination for astronaut training and more than 40 patents, but it's for a squirt gun that he's best known. Johnson conceived of a novelty water gun powered by air pressure in 1982 when he conducted an experiment at home on a heat pump that used water instead of Freon. This experimentation, which resulted in Johnson shooting a stream of water across his bathroom into the tub, led directly to the development of the Power Drencher, the precursor to the Super Soaker.

If anyone cares to read all of this, just some info I found on a few inventors. I like history in general and naturally fond of Black History

http://www.black-inventor.com/Black-Inventors.asp
Benjamin Banneker

But it was his clock invention that really propelled the reputation of Benjamin Banneker. Sometime in the early 1750s, Benjamin borrowed a pocket watch from a wealthy acquaintance, took the watch apart and studied its components. After returning the watch, he created a fully functioning clock entirely out of carved wooden pieces. The clock was amazingly precise, and would keep on ticking for decades. As the result of the attention his self-made clock received, Banneker was able to start up his own watch and clock repair business.

And Benjamin Banneker's accomplishments didn't end there. Borrowing books on astronomy and mathematics from a friend, Benjamin engorged himself in the subjects. Putting his newfound knowledge to use, Banneker accurately predicted a 1789 solar eclipse. In the early 1790s, Banneker added another job title to his resume – author. Benjamin compiled and published his Almanac and Ephemeris of Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland (he would publish the journal annually for over a decade), and even sent a copy to secretary of state Thomas Jefferson along with a letter urging the abolition of slavery.

Impressed by his abilities, Jefferson recommended Banneker to be a part of a surveying team to lay out Washington, D.C. Appointed to the three-man team by president George Washington, Banneker wound up saving the project when the lead architect quit in a fury – taking all the plans with him. Using his meticulous memory, Banneker was able to recreate the plans. Wielding knowledge like a sword, Benjamin Banneker was many things – inventor, scientist, anti-slavery proponent – and, as a result, his legacy lives on to this day.

Garret  Morgan

Many of the world's most famous inventors only produced one major invention that garnered recognition and cemented their prominent status. But Garret Augustus Morgan, one of the country's most successful African-American inventors, created two – the gas mask and the traffic signal.

Lonnie Johnson

Famous black inventor and scientist Lonnie G. Johnson probably didn't have that little scenario in mind when he invented the Super Soaker squirt gun, but it is one of the countless memories that can be recalled by those who were young enough to enjoy the Super Soaker after its release in 1989.

Johnson's resume boasts work with the US Air Force and NASA (including work on the Galileo Jupiter probe and Mars Observer project), a nomination for astronaut training and more than 40 patents, but it's for a squirt gun that he's best known. Johnson conceived of a novelty water gun powered by air pressure in 1982 when he conducted an experiment at home on a heat pump that used water instead of Freon. This experimentation, which resulted in Johnson shooting a stream of water across his bathroom into the tub, led directly to the development of the Power Drencher, the precursor to the Super Soaker.

Major, major props to Rex for that post.

Y'all need to read that carefully, internalize the info and further your research.

Major, major props to Rex for that post.

Y'all need to read that carefully, internalize the info and further your research.

Originally Posted by Big ATZ

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Aubrey Graham is pretty important.

He's not even 100% black but on to a serious addition George Washington Carver.

Nobody is really 100% black anymore
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Big ATZ

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Aubrey Graham is pretty important.

He's not even 100% black but on to a serious addition George Washington Carver.

Nobody is really 100% black anymore
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom