The internet has destroyed personal style.

I don't think it's so much the internet organically as the way Marketing has been able to leverage its access to 10's - 100's of millions  of consumers via the web.

I'm 24...From NY...lived in New York most of my life (Harlem to be exact)...finished h.s. in Virginia...and went to College @ an HBCU in North Carolina.

Been in NC for a little while now, and even with the internet and people being to cop different gear from wherever, I can still tell someone who is from NC...I can tell which part of NC they're probably from whether it be Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte...etc...I can tell if they are from the DMV area...B-More..Philly...New York whether it be BK, Harlem or the BX...Jersey, the West Coast, etc...because no matter what brands people have access to its just a certain way certain clothing is worn that is distinct to certain areas that can't be discovered from the internet

Last time I checked people dress however they want, who cares if they're following trends or not?

Last time I checked, there's been a style "standard" pretty much sense I was born. Now I grew up in the late 80s and 90s and I'm pretty sure that back then EVERYONE dressed the same. Windbreaks, loose jeans, and some sneakers. You're acting like every single person on the planet used to be different until we got internet.

If anything, people dress MUCH differently now because they actually try to be recognized and have a sense of style.

^the op was talking about regional style and how it's fading because of the net,  the thread just shifted to talk of personal style and ragging on specific trends as means to hurl insults at certain groups.

the homogenizing has more to do with everyone culling and melding together influences from the same places (different social media outlets...)

than it does just having access to different items.

Last edited:
Word? I don't see many people with this in their repertoire. From that foreign country they call Alaska 
smile.gif

I'm 24...From NY...lived in New York most of my life (Harlem to be exact)...finished h.s. in Virginia...and went to College @ an HBCU in North Carolina.

Been in NC for a little while now, and even with the internet and people being to cop different gear from wherever, I can still tell someone who is from NC...I can tell which part of NC they're probably from whether it be Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte...etc...I can tell if they are from the DMV area...B-More..Philly...New York whether it be BK, Harlem or the BX...Jersey, the West Coast, etc...because no matter what brands people have access to its just a certain way certain clothing is worn that is distinct to certain areas that can't be discovered from the internet

Question for...how can you tell where a person for NC I'd from. Like how can you tell they are from Raleigh?

my style hasn't evolved much since the mid 90's. heavy metal t-shirts, black zip up hoodie, camo or cargo shorts, loose fit jeans and nice sneakers.

i feel i've touched on this before.

the color ways nike got going is ridculous to the max... why the hell are there 3+ colors to a shoe.. and the colors never collab right or its some weird looking pattern

laugh.gif
fitteds >> snapbacks any day but I know it technically is a snapback but who the hell calls a Von Dutch a snapback??

haha Von Dutch

the entire 2000's went like this

Trucker Hats (Von Dutch)
Pin Wheel hats
Fitteds
Snapbacks

Honestly this video sums up OP point that the internet has destroyed regionals style

wait ......is one of those dudes really going by the name of masturbater?

Last edited:
^ i think the dude that recorded it just gave them nicknames, pretty sure he was trolling them at the time

Nothing worse than the hipster style. As an 80's baby, it pains me to see dudes wearing Air Jordans unlaced with skinny pants + [insert "street wear" brand] tank top + goofy looking thick frame glasses with no lens or clear lenses. :x

I know I shouldn't give a damn what other people wear, I just miss the damn 90's :frown:

Wearing kicks like they're supposed to be worn > walking on eggshells with a new pair and then selling them as DS for twice the price. Take me back.

I would like to counter OP's theory, and instead say that his very own personal style has destroyed his niketalk internet reputation points.

I have a feeling the grunge look is going to make a comeback...

I live in the desert so I can't rock little bracelets and blouses like some of these male divas...

]I have a feeling the grunge look is going to make a comeback...

I live in the desert so I can't rock little bracelets and blouses like some of these male divas...

Rocky's got these kids wearing flannels around their waist, ripped skinnies & dirty Js so it's back in a way already

Question for...how can you tell where a person for NC I'd from. Like how can you tell they are from Raleigh?

More so because of all the people I hung around from Raleigh...an example for me being able to tell if homies were from Charlotte is that they tried too hard to dress like they weren't from NC....Certain areas on the East Coast rock certain brands but its a certain way that they rock those brands that makes them stand out....It's easier to identify when its cold out.....Me Being from NY I have jackets for days...Bubble Coats, Duffle Coats, Pea Coats, North Face...Marmot.....everything...Most individuals from the South don't have access to certain items in those brands just because it doesn't get cold enough down here....Also most everyone I've encountered from NC loves Levis, and are starting to move onto more True Religion, and G-star now that more premium brands are accessible down here

The problem is their isn't much "local" fashion anymore.  You used to be able to tell if somebody was from NY, Cali, DC, Chicago....hell you used to be able to tell if somebody was gay or straight.
Bingo. Like me and some other folks were saying, youngins from all around look the same.

Keefe Chief and his folks look like a typical group of dudes from DC. Wild man........

Back
Top Bottom