The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Originally Posted by dakid23

Taking a east coast tour going to
pimp.gif

T Dot Blue Jays
NY Yanks
NY Met
pimp.gif
t-dot is where i live, tickets are SO easy to get and theyre pretty reasonably priced, enjoy your stay! which game are you reaching intoronto, im just curious

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

BA's Top 2 farm systems in baseball revealed...
Chris (Newport beach, CA): Jim, great chat as always! I was wondering when you were doing the minor league top 10's, which orginization did you have the most trouble with in terms of their top three prospects? Marlins, Braves, other??

SportsNation John Manuel: (2:25 PM ET ) Neat question that I'll answer even though I'm not Jim. The Braves was very tough -- we went back and forth between Jason Heyward and Tommy Hanson; Hanson's AFL performance and scouting reports were so loud and outsized, and he's so much closer to the majors than Heyward, that we switched at the last minute. The Rangers top list and the Marlins are also interchangeable, and to me, you could argue Mike Stanton over Cam Maybin easily for the Marlins No. 1, K rate be damned! Those kinds of things tend to happen to strong organizations, and Texas and Florida rank 1-2 in our Org Rankings in the Prospect Handbook, which is at the printers now.
Rangers and Marlins ...
pimp.gif

Pretty much been a given for awhile now that the Rangers were #1... Woulda thought the A's were #2, but outside of Brett Anderson and Trevor Cahill (And Inoa, though he's YEARS away) they don't have any real superstar potential types... Just a lot of guys with solid/everyday player ceilings and a decent likelihood to reach them... Really can't argue with the Marlins... Lots of high-end talent with Maybin, Morrison, Stanton, West, Tucker, Dominguez, and Skipworth...
well they dont know what they are talking about. Nationals>all
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

but im envious everyteam with a good farm system
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Anyone else besides me think the Mets have set themselves up for a major failure of a season because they have 2 good starting pitchers?

1. Santana
2. Maine
3. Pelfry
4. Redding
5. Niese/ ??

They missed out on Lowe and have given Perez a low ball offer. And now are trying to get Ben Sheets...

They sured up their bullpen but you need guys to get it there...plus they still have huge holes in the outfield and 2nd base and a liability at 1st
Set themselves up for major failure? They are not done dealing and yet have had one of the better off-seasons thus far.

They missed winning the division by 2 games last season because they had 30+ blown saves (after the 8th inning) and played mediocre baseball vs badteams.....they got 2 of the top guys for that pen and have some different faces in there so that will help them. They were also 2nd in the league in runsscored and had one of the higher OBP in baseball.

They have Beltran in CF, Church in RF, and Daniel Murphy/Tatis in LF, that's set.

2nd base is the only position that's a question mark but they signed Cora to be the backup along with A. Reyes, and 1st base is a liability? I make fun ofGado's D all the time but last season he was sharp in all aspects of the game once his hand helaed up and Willie got the axe.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mets sign Ollie (they have no choice at this point) and offer Sheets a short term contract with incentives since they reallyhaven't spent much this off-season (they got some great deals).

In other news, the White Sox sign Bartolo Colon

sick.gif

Originally Posted by ReliantJ

Damn it Oakland, just sign Bonds. Sell some seats and get that hitting game going.

Naw *#@! that. That's one dude I'll NEVER be able to root for.
laugh.gif

Yeah the patch is dumb but I think all patches are dumb (that is the Citifield Logo after all its plain), including the Yankees one.

I would hate patches to if I was a Met fan,
laugh.gif

Commemorative patches are
smokin.gif
, makes the jerseys stand out:

amd_manny-dodgers.jpg

Wifey's gift for X-Mas:

navarrooutjj.jpg

PS- All the Yankee patches since last year have been
smokin.gif
, the personbehind them used to work for the Dodgers (she did the 50th Logo/Patch).

I would hate patches to if I was a Met fan

Lets not pretend all their patches have been whack now, even last season's was dope.

shea%20stadium%20final%20season.jpg

2151_1.JPG

6cca_1.JPG

I just don't care for em'.

[h1]Nick Johnson Trade Talks With Oakland Resume[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [January 15 at 10:48am CST]

According to Dave Sheinin of theWashington Post, the Nationals and A's have revived trade talks for first baseman Nick Johnson. Sheinin notes that the Nats havepreviously shown interest in Daric Barton, though that might be a high price to pay for one year of the injury-prone Johnson. Another wrinkleis the A's addition of Jason Giambi, but there would be ways to make it work.

who's that "Dominguez" for the Marlins Nowitness?

Rangers' Young accepts move to 3B

All-Star shortstop Michael Young will accept the Texas Rangers' decision to move him to third base and doesn't expect to be traded.

4566.jpg

Young

While the 32-year-old Young said Thursday he doesn't think it's the right time in his career to switch positions again, he said he's ready to focus on preparing for next season and he didn't want the pending switch to be a distraction to him or the team.

"After some careful consideration over the last month or so and in an effort not to let this thing drag out," Young said during a conference call, "I decided to put an end to this and start bearing down on playing third base."

Texas general manager Jon Daniels confirmed Sunday night that the Rangers were exploring trade options at Young's request. The Rangers first spoke with Young last month about moving to third to make room for touted prospect Elvis Andrus at shortstop.

Young switched from second base to shortstop in the spring of 2004 after the Rangers traded Alex Rodriguez to the New York Yankees. Since then, Young has made the AL All-Star team at shortstop all five seasons, and last year he won his first Gold Glove.

and i'm so thirsty for a right-handed outfielder, i wouldn't mind us taking a chance on Andruw.
sick.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

who's that "Dominguez" for the Marlins Nowitness?
Matt Dominguez... HS third baseman they drafted a couple of years ago... He's a stud defensively, and the bat still has a ton of projection...Hit .300 with 18 homers at age 19 in High-A this year... If the bat continues to progress, he's gonna be a real stud...

And you knew Young would come around and pull that trade demand sooner or later... I think the past few days made it painfully obvious that he wasn't goingto be traded and that nobody in other front offices or in the national media thought he could play SS anymore... I think this quote from Keith Law's chatESPN.com today summed it up...
That Gold Glove for Young was the worst thing that could have happened to Texas - now the guy really believes he's good at short.
laugh.gif
Cold blooded...

Oh, and to make myself feel better... Here's a snippet from an article I saw online today regarding farm system rankings and the futures of teams with goodsystems...
"All nine organizations ranked number one by BA this decade have made the playoffs in short order, with an average timetable of two seasons after the honors.

Checking in with the 70 organizations who have ranked somewhere in the top 10 from 2001 to 2007, 62 have made the playoffs since.

The farm systems of six of the eight 2008 playoff teams were in BA's top 10 at least once in the past three years.

Finally, in this decade, 17 organizations have landed in BA's top 10 rankings in consecutive years, as we will learn within the month that Texas will have done. Of those 17, 16 went on to make the playoffs -- 10 of them doing so within two years.

Top 10 rankings aren't the end game here. But the correlation, and the trends, are unmistakable."

Yesssss...
pimp.gif

and i'm so thirsty for a right-handed outfielder, i wouldn't mind us taking a chance on Andruw.
sick.gif
ohwell.gif

I'll give you Francoeur and a bottle of Jim Beam (just for you, don't give it to Francoeur, he can't handle it...) for a washed-up middle reliever.Deal?

and i'm so thirsty for a right-handed outfielder, i wouldn't mind us taking a chance on Andruw
ohwell.gif
sick.gif

Word. He'll be better than Dickerson, but do you think he still wants to play center or can find someone that would even let him play center?

i thought it may have been Chris Dominguez, he played for Louisville.

DLo, Makers Mark and we got a deal. David Weathers?

Francoeur.
pimp.gif

feqN0t.jpeg

Dickerson played really well while he was up in Cincy, but he's left-handed. if we don't find someone, Dickerson should be able to competefor the starting LF job. even tho there's really no one out there we could get that would give him much comp.

but Andruw can still play center.

DaComeUP - you in Cincy right? cuz there's alot of games i can't go to and sometimes i have a hard time getting rid ofthe tickets.

Phils lock in Hamels at 3 years, $20.5M

The Philadelphia Phillies have avoided arbitration with World Series MVP Cole Hamels, agreeing with the left-hander on a three-year, $20.5 million contract, a source close to the negotiations confirmed Saturday to ESPN.com.
Hamels was awaiting the results of a physical exam Saturday afternoon, but the contract is expected to be announced at a press conference Sunday.
6216.jpg

Hamels
ESPN's Jayson Stark reports that the contract will pay Hamels $4.35 million this year, $6.65 million in 2010 and $9.5 million in 2011. If Hamels wins the Cy Young Award, his base salary would increase by $500,000 the following season. If he places second or third in the Cy Young voting, the contract would increase by $250,000 in the following season. It's the largest average annual value ever on a multiyear contract for a starting pitcher in his first year of salary arbitration. "We're very pleased with the fact that Cole has had an opportunity to be rewarded for his accomplishments in the past,'' Hamels' agent, John Boggs, told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. "The contract gives Cole a degree of financial security, and it didn't compromise his last year of arbitration or touch any free-agent years, which was our goal.'' With his new deal, Hamels avoids a salary-arbitration hearing in February. The Phillies still face a potential arbitration hearing with first baseman Ryan Howard, who made $10 million last year and finished second to Albert Pujols in the National League MVP voting. In his third season, Hamels helped lead the Phillies to their second World Series championship, going 14-10 with a 3.09 ERA in the regular season. Hamels, 25, has a 38-23 record with the Phillies. He's 4-1 with a 2.16 ERA in six career postseason starts. He went 4-0 in the 2008 postseason with a 1.80 ERA, which included the clinching Game 5 in the World Series, in which he scattered five hits and two earned runs over six innings in a 4-3 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays.
Cole
pimp.gif

DaComeUP - you in Cincy right? cuz there's alot of games i can't go to and sometimes i have a hard time getting rid of the tickets.

Yea, I'm in NY until May though but after that I'm in Cincy all summer. I'd definitely be interested though when you can't make it.

in NY for school? you got that scholly right?

but cool...i got nice seats, at least i like 'em.

Back
Top Bottom