The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Originally Posted by briannnnn

nopic_48.gif

5. Posted by Ed K Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:08 pm EST

The New York Mets' Bullpen Implosion: You've Got 30 Minutes.
roll.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

[h4]Mets' pizza patch the laughingstock of baseball uniform world[/h4]
By 'Duk

ept_sports_mlb_experts-176490620-1231791113.jpg
If you're the type of person who doesn't spend much time thinking about sleeve patches on uniforms, don't worry.

Neither do the Mets.

The team recently unveiled the logo to celebrate their upcoming first season in Citi Field and to say that it's being mocked worse than an oblivious American Idol contestant would be an understatement.

At its best, it's being said to resemble the logo of a certain pizza company that once featured the 'Noid. At its worst, it's being categorized as the biggest affront to Mets fans since John Rocker's sermon in SI.

What kind of horrible written article is that?

Nobody cares about patches let alone the "baseball world".

Yeah it is a lame article...I saw it on Yahoo

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

The Rangers are said to be seeking a young, cost-controllable 3B in return...
mlb_g_encarnacion_200.jpg

nerd.gif
Probably along those lines... Though I think they might want somebody a little more capable defensively than EE has been throughout his career...

Since Nolan Ryan got here, the FO has been putting a heavier emphasis on defensive play, thus pushing the move to third on Young sooner than probably necessaryand doing everything they can to push Josh Hamilton to one of the COF spots and off CF...

Now they just need Ian Kinsler to cut out all the lazy concentration errors and they'd have something goin... He's got as much range as any 2B inbaseball, he just falls asleep and chokes off balls hit right at him way too often and throws balls away trying to make plays that aren't there... If theyget him to wake up, they'd be onto something with Teagarden behind the plate and Davis, Kinsler, Andrus, and Young around the diamond...

People complain about the pitching, but I think the Rangers gave up more unearned runs than anybody in baseball last year, which makes things look infinitelyworse... And that's exactly why they've gotta force the issue with Young and I'm happy they did it... He's part of the problem defensively atSS...

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

the price for hanley is too high i believe (too high in terms of prospects)
whoooooaaaaa!!!!

if i had a chance to get hanley, i would tell any team to take any 3 players they wanted....

this dude is gonna win mvps, more than a-rod i promise yall that
yeah that's not a bad point. but i feel like we lose more than we gain if we're giving up ellsbury, buchholz, and a couple of the minorleague prospect we got coming up. i don't know. hanley def. has SERIOUS skills, but whatever

^^^I get what u mean, but dudes like hanley dont come around often...

only reason he doesnt get any recognition is cuz he plays in florida

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/s.../01/13/braves_lowe.html?cxntlid=brkng_nws_bnrhttp://www.ajc.com/sports...tml?cxntlid=brkng_nws_bnr

[h1]Lowe agrees to $60 million deal with Braves[/h1]
By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Braves finally have their ace.

They've agreed to terms with veteran pitcher Derek Lowe on a four-year, $60 million contract, a person familiar with negotiations said this morning. The deal will be finalized after Lowe takes a physical Wednesday.

grin.gif

wow, lowe to the braves. i thought lowe to the mets was a done deal. i guess pedro and olle are staying put........

Lowe an ACE? 4 years 60 MIL?
eek.gif
laugh.gif

The Braves are spending more than 1/3 of their team salary on three 33+ year old pitchers.

Looks like the Mets will keep Ollie, they already offered him a 3 yr 30M contract to start things off.

That's a lot for Lowe, but the Braves needed to make a move. I was hopeful the Mets would get him though I don't think that price/years (isn't he36?) is anywhere worth it. The market is just so skewed.

Limits the Mets options now, Perez becomes more of a priority and I'm sure Boras will be looking to get him that same type of deal.

No way Perez gets 4 years 60....at most 50M but at least dude is in his 20s not high 30s.

Maybe an offer for Sheets can come, 1-2 yr deal preferably.

Santana
Sheets
Pelfrey
Perez
Maine
(Redding)

That would be nice to have, but even without Sheets having Redding/Maine/Neise in the last 2 spots gives them depth if they re-sign Ollie (which they mostlikely will).

If you were willing to make that offer to Burnett, I don't see why you wouldn't be willing to make it to Lowe... Lowe's a better pitcher...

Of course Lowe is better, its just the age that's the issue.

He will only get worse as the contract nears its end.

Why let Smoltz go then if you're going to sign Lowe? Smoltz wouldn't be all that expensive and they need depth because they will certainly have guysbe out for spells at their age. I don't get this move without Smoltz. Giving all that money to Lowe still won't get them to the postseason, havingSmoltz could at least help with that, and maybe even attract a bat or two.

Originally Posted by DLo13

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/s.../01/13/braves_lowe.html?cxntlid=brkng_nws_bnrhttp://www.ajc.com/sports/content/s.../01/13/braves_lowe.html?cxntlid=brkng_nws_bnrhttp://www.ajc.com/sports...tml?cxntlid=brkng_nws_bnr

[h1]Lowe agrees to $60 million deal with Braves[/h1]
By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Braves finally have their ace.

They've agreed to terms with veteran pitcher Derek Lowe on a four-year, $60 million contract, a person familiar with negotiations said this morning. The deal will be finalized after Lowe takes a physical Wednesday.

grin.gif

as a Dbacks fan i enjoy to hear this because their starting rotation is nothing now..

i have a weird feeling about the Giants though....they might do something, just you wait

Originally Posted by CP1708

Why let Smoltz go then if you're going to sign Lowe? Smoltz wouldn't be all that expensive and they need depth because they will certainly have guys be out for spells at their age. I don't get this move without Smoltz. Giving all that money to Lowe still won't get them to the postseason, having Smoltz could at least help with that, and maybe even attract a bat or two.
Wren needed to make a panic move to appease fans and Chipper, this move had nothing to do with getting Lowe to compete towards the playoffs. Theyonly went after Lowe, due to negative backlash they recieved from Smoltz's depature. The crazy part is that the only person he is fooling is himself.Smotlz could damn near walk on water in the A and he even took a paycut a couple years back, just to help front office out. Trust me, Wren is not the mostloved-figure right now in Atlanta. I miss John Schuerholz
embarassed.gif
embarassed.gif
embarassed.gif

That's a lot of money for a pitcher his age. Lowe is solid and I'd say he's better than AJ, but I don't see the point of this deal. Do theBraves think they can make the postseason by adding Lowe? Maybe it's me, but I don't see them winning the East...

Lowe at $15 million when he's 40 years old? Forget him. That two-seamer is bound to straighten out.

Mets still have options...Ollie, Wolf, and maybe Sheets.

Anybody know how to get MLBTV online? The link I've been using doesn't work...thanks in advance everyone.

So many fragile pitchers.... I would hate to have to count on Sheets for a whole season. Maybe he could do it and then again maybe he can't.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by tylerdub

So many fragile pitchers.... I would hate to have to count on Sheets Rich Harden for a whole season.
fixed
sheets is just as more fragile, if not more...

love the fact mets didnt get lowe....

Back
Top Bottom