The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Originally Posted by Dr 715

I know, I was joking. Vizquel should have batted 9th last season. It was THAT BAD...
Yeah, those stats from last year...
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
He barely OPS'ed .575 last year...
roll.gif

But as long as he won't have to play for more than a couple of months, I don't care... He's worth signing just to have around the kid when he getsto Arlington...
I kind of always liked these:

10127546B%7EJuan-Gonzalez-1996-ALDS-Game-4-Home-Run-Posters.jpg

The old school red jerseys...
pimp.gif
Supposedly a lot of theplayers were lobbying to go back to those colors since those were the jerseys in the playoff years, but the Rangers don't wanna go back to the primary redunis since the Angels swiped the style after we changed to blue...

They took the font and everything...
sick.gif
smh.gif

New Rangers home alternates...

OqIP8TRb.jpg

OK, not great... The red hat is back though...
pimp.gif

I guess the comment made by Uni-Watch was in regards to the fact that every Rangers jersey now just says 'TEXAS', and none of them have'RANGERS' across the chest anymore...

Oh, and Ben Sheets and his agent met with Rangers brass yesterday in Arlington... Reportedly wants 2 years, $18M... If that's true and they don't jumpat that figure, I'm blowing someone's head off...

I can see the Mets going after Sheets then calling it a day with starters, screw Ollie dude is not worth a 4-5 year contract + more money.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

[h1]Mets To Sign Freddy Garcia[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 22 at 7:32pm CST]

According to Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News, the Mets have agreed to a minor league deal with Freddy Garcia. Rubin heard that the deal could be worth $8-9MM if Garcia makes the team and reaches all his incentives.

Newsday's Anthony Rieber confirms that Garcia has agreed to a minor league deal. Like Danielle Sessa, Rieber writes that the Mets still have the money to sign a starter like Randy Wolf, Ben Sheets or Oliver Perez. Ken Rosenthal says they still intend to sign another starter and Perez remains atop the list.
Now this is what I'm talking about. Signing a 6th arm/long arm out of the bullpen + Ollie or Sheets and we're good to go. We fill out therotation nicely and have much needed depth.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by tylerdub

Zambrano
Peavy
Harden
Dempster
Lilly

Wow!
That is a rotation that can get it done. There isnt a single let down guy in there.
The optimism is already starting to build
laugh.gif
. Don't worry tylerdub, we will all have our rescue nets ready to go.
wink.gif
Someday... somehow, I wont need a rescue net, and that will be awesome.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

New Rangers home alternates...

OqIP8TRb.jpg

OK, not great... The red hat is back though...
pimp.gif

I guess the comment made by Uni-Watch was in regards to the fact that every Rangers jersey now just says 'TEXAS', and none of them have 'RANGERS' across the chest anymore...

Oh, and Ben Sheets and his agent met with Rangers brass yesterday in Arlington... Reportedly wants 2 years, $18M... If that's true and they don't jump at that figure, I'm blowing someone's head off...

The Rangers new uniforms will have a new font for the numbers and names. Uni-Watch has been critical of it, and I don't blame them.

The numbers and letters are the usual varsity font but with little serifs added (similar to the numbers on the Angels uniforms)

Is there something going on with Manny? He's like the clutchest guy there is and instead of people lining up to sign him, there's crickets. BarryBonds gets more calls then Manny.

What's the hold up here? His asking price really that terrible compared to guys who do squat in the postseason?

The numbers and letters are the usual varsity font but with little serifs added (similar to the numbers on the Angels uniforms)
The Angels took that font from the Rangers...
laugh.gif

The Rangers have used to same font on their jerseys since the late 90s...
Is there something going on with Manny? He's like the clutchest guy there is and instead of people lining up to sign him, there's crickets.
He still wants 4 years at $25M a pop... I guess nobody is willing to pay that money in this economy for an aging slugger that's probably bestsuited as a DH...

Frankly, I'd pay him that money as a DH for an AL team... His act gets old, but the man produces... He's the kinda guy that flat out pushes you frommiddle of the pack to playoff team and playoff team to World Series Champion... And he will pay for the majority of his contract in a lot of cases withincreased fan attendance and apparel sales...

^
Yeah exactly. 100 million dollars for 4 years. That's BAD in baseball? Shiiiiii, A-Rod doesn't do even CLOSE to what Manny does in the playoffs andnobody has a problem with giving that dude money. Manny's postseason for 25 mil>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.A-Rod's regular season for 25 mil. And it's noteven that close, I can't put enough > in there to make it look right.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

The Angels took that font from the Rangers...
laugh.gif

The Rangers have used to same font on their jerseys since the late 90s...
The new typeface for names and numbers for '09:
3226764557_37e5096705_o.png

red rangers hats are back...

bought the one they used to wear during the 90s...

didnt know they would be back out again...

i also hear the porates have a new hat, anyone can confirm this?

[h1]'Backs Closing In On Deal With Garland?[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [January 27 at 11:20pm CST]

11:20pm: MLB.com's SteveGilbert has a source saying the D'Backs and Garland are closing in on a deal.

4:56pm: According to Nick Piecoro of the ArizonaRepublic, the Diamondbacks have resumed contract discussions with free agent starter Jon Garland. Piecoro says Garland initially turneddown an Arizona offer in the two-year, $13-14MM range. It's unclear which side restarted talks, but maybe that offer is starting to look better toGarland.

Would be a good pick up.

Can't wait!

Nothing better than going to Camden Yards or the new Nationals Stadium.

Taking the lady to a bunch of games this season
pimp.gif

Mike Fatcessa (WFAN 660) is basically going through the entire Torre book page by page so far.
laugh.gif

Its pretty much just a book about what went on its not at "attack" book as most of you Yankee fans feel like, how A-Rod is all about his personal#'s and his legacy rather than the team winning, Mussina criticizing Mo for costing the Yankees a chip in 2001 and 2004, how they have been bringing in thewrong people every year since 2000 (ie kills Brown, Randy Johnson, Pavano etc). He compliments those with good leadership such as Cone, Jeter, Bernie (he wasupset when Cashman didn't want to bring him back).

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I'm thoroughly excited to check out Nationals Park (and Yankee Stadium, so I can pee on it).
if you like chilli dogs and chilli fries, def stop by ben's chilli bowl in nationals park. its by section 109 i think...

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Mike Fatcessa (WFAN 660) is basically going through the entire Torre book page by page so far.
laugh.gif

Its pretty much just a book about what went on its not at "attack" book as most of you Yankee fans feel like, how A-Rod is all about his personal #'s and his legacy rather than the team winning, Mussina criticizing Mo for costing the Yankees a chip in 2001 and 2004, how they have been bringing in the wrong people every year since 2000 (ie kills Brown, Randy Johnson, Pavano etc). He compliments those with good leadership such as Cone, Jeter, Bernie (he was upset when Cashman didn't want to bring him back).
This book is gonna be one hot item.
eek.gif

Gonna break a lotta Yankee hearts with his info. And I'm surprised that he isn't backing down from it. I expected him to say it was out of contextand all that garbage, but he's sayin "naw, I said it."
pimp.gif
Props to Joe for that one.

Dodger fans unhappy or indifferent with him doing this? Should he wait til he's done coaching, or are they worried at all about him writing another booklater against the Dodgers?
laugh.gif

[h2]Cubs acquire Heilman from M's[/h2]
The Chicago Cubs have acquired pitcher Aaron Heilmanfrom the Seattle Mariners for infielder Ronny Cedeno and pitcher Garrett Olson.
Heilman and Olson have already been involved in trades this offseason. The Mariners acquired Heilman as part of athree-team, 12-player trade that sent closer J.J.Putz to the Mets in December.
[h4] [/h4]
The Cubs picked up Olson in a deal from the Orioles for outfield prospect Felix Pie on Jan. 18.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry, who was returning from a trip to Italy on Wednesday, couldn't be reached for comment. But onebaseball person said Hendry has been an admirer of Heilman's "since he pitched at Notre Dame.''
Olson had been mentioned as a potential trade chip if the Cubs decided to make another run at San Diego's Jake Peavy. The Cubs' deal withSeattle could put an end to speculation about the team trying to acquire Peavy.
Heilman, 30, has a 22-33 record with a 4.24 ERA in six major league seasons. He's made 305 career appearances -- 280 in relief -- buthas expressed an interest in moving into a starting role.
Heilman is expected to compete with Sean Marshall for the No. 5 starting spot in the Chicago rotation behind Carlos Zambrano, Ryan Dempster, Rich Harden and Ted Lilly. Chad Gaudin and Jeff Samardzija are other possiblecandidates to start for manager Lou Piniella.
Olson, 25, was selected by Baltimore as the 48th overall pick in the 2005 draft.
While Seattle already has six potential starters in Felix Hernandez, Erik Bedard, Brandon Morrow, Jarrod Washburn, Carlos Silva and Ryan Rowland-Smith, Olson is likely to getan opportunity to compete for a spot in the Mariners' rotation this spring.
"This year with a new staff there's going to be fresh eyes looking at all these guys," Mariners general manager JackZduriencik told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "I do hope we are creating the environment where people realize they have to come in readyto compete for positions.
"Our No. 1 goal is to continue to accumulate talent in our organization while doing everything we can to compete in 2009," hesaid in a statement released by the Mariners. "Today's trade allows us to acquire a young, left-handed starting pitcher with major league experiencethat we will still control for five seasons. At the same time, by adding Cedeno we have a player who is very versatile and gives us protection and depth, andcan compete for a job at second base and shortstop immediately."

Back
Top Bottom