The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

peace ronny c
frown.gif

what does that make it 7 pitchers this offseason

they better go get peavy...

Originally Posted by CP1708

[h2]Cubs acquire Heilman from M's[/h2]
The Chicago Cubs have acquired pitcher Aaron Heilman from the Seattle Mariners for infielder Ronny Cedeno and pitcher Garrett Olson.
Heilman and Olson have already been involved in trades this offseason. The Mariners acquired Heilman as part of a three-team, 12-player trade that sent closer J.J. Putz to the Mets in December. The Cubs picked up Olson in a deal from the Orioles for outfield prospect Felix Pie on Jan. 18.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry, who was returning from a trip to Italy on Wednesday, couldn't be reached for comment. But one baseball person said Hendry has been an admirer of Heilman's "since he pitched at Notre Dame.''
Olson had been mentioned as a potential trade chip if the Cubs decided to make another run at San Diego's Jake Peavy. The Cubs' deal with Seattle could put an end to speculation about the team trying to acquire Peavy.
Heilman, 30, has a 22-33 record with a 4.24 ERA in six major league seasons. He's made 305 career appearances -- 280 in relief -- but has expressed an interest in moving into a starting role.
Heilman is expected to compete with Sean Marshall for the No. 5 starting spot in the Chicago rotation behind Carlos Zambrano, Ryan Dempster, Rich Harden and Ted Lilly. Chad Gaudin and Jeff Samardzija are other possible candidates to start for manager Lou Piniella.
Olson, 25, was selected by Baltimore as the 48th overall pick in the 2005 draft.
While Seattle already has six potential starters in Felix Hernandez, Erik Bedard, Brandon Morrow, Jarrod Washburn, Carlos Silva and Ryan Rowland-Smith, Olson is likely to get an opportunity to compete for a spot in the Mariners' rotation this spring.
"This year with a new staff there's going to be fresh eyes looking at all these guys," Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "I do hope we are creating the environment where people realize they have to come in ready to compete for positions.
"Our No. 1 goal is to continue to accumulate talent in our organization while doing everything we can to compete in 2009," he said in a statement released by the Mariners. "Today's trade allows us to acquire a young, left-handed starting pitcher with major league experience that we will still control for five seasons. At the same time, by adding Cedeno we have a player who is very versatile and gives us protection and depth, and can compete for a job at second base and shortstop immediately."
laugh.gif

Dodger fans unhappy or indifferent with him doing this? Should he wait til he's done coaching, or are they worried at all about him writing another book later against the Dodgers?
laugh.gif

I really don't care, but it is funny how Yankee fans are getting all bent out of shape over this book,
laugh.gif
. Joe Torre is a standup guy, straight up honest. I was actually surprised athow humble and down to earth he is, it was refreshing.

There is a lot going on in the clubhouse that the public doesn't know about. If he writes a book when his contract is up about the Dodgers when his timeis up, more power to him. I feel like I know more than the general public on what goes on in the Dodger clubhouse, but there are a lot of things I don'tsee. It is a different world, and any insight into that world is intriguing.

The reaction from Yankee fans, especially on this board, was comical. Dudes came out as if Joe Torre personally slapped all of their momma's. Some of theremarks,
roll.gif

Coaches, especially those with high profiles (Joe Torre/Phil Jackson) are giving an inside perspective on a world we don't hear much about. Whywouldn't you listen?

^
Agreed man, I read every word of Phil's book and I thought it was great to hear some of the stuff. Now, it doesn't mean I can listen to every word hesays because you never know what the agenda is, but there was still a lot in there behind the scenes that I thought was
eek.gif

I'm not a Yankee fan, or a Yankee hater, but I look forward to reading the book and see what I can learn from it.

I dunno why everyone think Yankee fans are getting butt-hurt over Torre's book. You don't see me hiding under my blankets crying buckets do you?

just saw on espn that albert pujols wants manny with the cardinals...

imagine those 2 in the same lineup? holy crap!!!!!!

Thank God the Cardinals are cheap.
laugh.gif

Pujols/Manny back to back would be the best hitting duo I can think of.

It'd be like this for me.
frown.gif
embarassed.gif
alien.gif
mad.gif
ohwell.gif
grin.gif
sick.gif
tired.gif
indifferent.gif

Reds reportedly interested in Luis Gonzalez.
grin.gif

Cats have lost two in a row to terrible teams.
ohwell.gif

so let me just say...

13 days til pitchers and catchers report.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Reds reportedly interested in Luis Gonzalez.
grin.gif

Cats have lost two in a row to terrible teams.
ohwell.gif

so let me just say...

13 days til pitchers and catchers report.
pimp.gif
The winter of our discontent is over...
sick.gif

[h3]
[/h3]

allen, what's that, 7 of 9? yikes.

spring training just brings us.....hope.

discontent? i wish man....somebody sign my man Junior.
ohwell.gif

National Rights Holder FOX SPORTS (WJW-TV8 locally) has designated eight Indians game to be broadcast on the Fox Saturday Baseball Game of the Week:

Home Games
[table][tr][td]June 13[/td] [td]St. Louis Cardinals[/td] [td]4:10PM ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]July 4[/td] [td]Oakland Athletics[/td] [td]4:10PM ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]September 5[/td] [td]Minnesota Twins[/td] [td]4:10PM ET[/td] [/tr][/table]
Away Games
[table][tr][td]April 18[/td] [td]New York Yankees[/td] [td]3:40PM ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]May 2[/td] [td]Detroit Tigers[/td] [td]3:40PM ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]May 16[/td] [td]Tampa Bay Devil Rays[/td] [td]4:10PM ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]June 6[/td] [td]Chicago White Sox[/td] [td]4:10PM ET[/td] [/tr][tr][td]August 15[/td] [td]Minnesota Twins[/td] [td]4:10PM ET[/td] [/tr][/table]
pimp.gif

man how is griff., who still sells seats, not signed yet?

then again manny isnt signed either

Marquee names still looking for a home
Economy, large number of free agents leaving many unsigned

A number of factors this offseason have forged a perfect storm that has conspired against many of Major League Baseball's free agents: a 14-month recession, an abundance of players on the market and rule changes in the current Basic Agreement that give clubs more flexibility and time to sign them.

Between six-year free agents and non-tendered players, 216 of them hit the open market on Nov. 14 and Dec. 12. Last year, there were 159.

There still were 89 free agents as of early Friday morning, including a plethora of former All-Stars such as Manny Ramirez, Pedro Martinez, Ken Griffey Jr., Tom Glavine, Adam Dunn, Ivan Rodriguez and Bobby Abreu.

"This is unheard of, very unusual," said Kevin Towers, the longtime general manager of the Padres. "I can't believe when I look at the list how many big-name guys are still out there. It's probably better to be an arbitration-eligible player this year rather than a free agent. Arbitration isn't driven by the economy. It's driven by past contracts."

Most insiders believe there will be a flurry of signings during the final two weeks before the start of Spring Training. The inking of Jon Garland on Thursday by the Diamondbacks to a one-year deal, which could guarantee him as much as $8.75 million, has set up a domino-effect scenario for pitchers.

Oliver Perez could sign with the Mets, who have offered him three years at $30 million, and then Randy Wolf could head to the Dodgers, who have a dearth of front-line pitchers.

"There are probably a few more free agents out there this year," Twins general manager Bill Smith said. "I think it will start to fall and some guys will start to take Minor League deals.

"Alex Cora signed a Minor League deal with the Mets the other day. Here is a big-league guy who probably had hopes of a better deal. But guys will start to accept Minor League deals or they'll take the best deal out there."

To punctuate that point, Juan Uribe, who last played with the White Sox, signed a Minor League contract on Thursday with the Giants. The 29-year-old third baseman has an invitation to join them next month at their Scottsdale, Ariz., camp.

To be sure, the sagging economy continues to have a ripple effect. Most clubs, outside of the Yankees, have been hampered by projected losses in ticket sales, corporate sponsorships and advertising.

The Padres, for example, are expecting to lose half of their 15,000 season-ticket base this season at five-year-old PETCO Park, Towers said. This will put them back to where they were in the last throes of Qualcomm Stadium, the multi-purpose facility they played in from 1969-2003.

To wit, the Padres' player payroll was $53 million in 2003, their final season at Qualcomm. This season, it's projected to be $45 million. But San Diego isn't the only city affected by the slumping economy.

"I can tell you there's been a real and profound impact on everyone in this world," Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said. "When I read anonymous comments by agents that are accusing clubs of not reacting to natural circumstances, I want to ask what world they're living in?"

"The economy is being felt by everybody," Nationals GM Jim Bowden added. "Certainly, there are the [stars] who are special and don't feel it. But certainly, the rest of the market is feeling it because the economy affects everything -- ticket sales, advertisers. We have to be aware and be careful."

Commissioner Bud Selig has been so concerned about the economy this offseason that he's had guest speakers to share their experience about it at the last two owners meetings: former fed chairman Paul Volcker in November and columnist George Will earlier this month.

Still, the collective owners have spent more than $1 billion on free agents, with the Yankees accounting for more than 40 percent of it.

The Yanks' free spending on CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Mark Teixeira led Brewers owner Mark Attanasio to call for a salary cap. He hasn't abandoned that position since going public with the idea in December, after Teixeira signed the highest-priced deal of this offseason: eight-years at $180 million.

"We're not looking for a handout here in Milwaukee," said Attanasio, whose $100 million offer to keep Sabathia was dwarfed by the Yanks' winning bid of $160 million. "We're just looking for a fair shot to compete."

Attanasio admitted that the Yankees are undoubtedly doing what is good under their economic structure, which varies from city to city and team to team in Major League Baseball.

But what hasn't changed throughout the 43-year era of free agency is that the larger-revenue teams establish the value for players that the smaller-revenue teams have to match. If they don't, they can't compete in the financial game.

"We're in the same boat as everyone else," new Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik said. "You'd like to go out and bring a player or two in. But you have to agree on two things -- dollars spent and length of contract. There's a degree of reality that has set in with the current market and the economic times we're in. I think some of this is going to fall into place as we move forward."

In other times, Griffey returning to finish his career in Seattle might be a foregone conclusion. But the Mariners are coming off a 101-loss, last-place season at the cost of a $118 million player payroll. Griffey is still a sentimental favorite even though he forced his trade from Seattle to his hometown of Cincinnati after the 1999 season.

But the 39-year-old left-handed hitter, who has 611 homers and a .288 lifetime batting average, is still among the multitudes looking for a job.

"The only thing I can really say is I am still talking to some teams," said Brian Goldberg, Griffey's longtime agent. "But they are in the mode of waiting until some of the younger, longer-term guys reduce their demands and things should fall into place."

On why the market has reacted so strangely this offseason, Goldberg added: "There are several reasons, one factor being, quite honestly, that some players and their agents are not being realistic as to what their clients are worth now compared to the same situation they were in one or two years ago."

If there's any time to readjust, it is now. Last year, only 16 free agents went through the season without finding jobs. That list included Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, David Wells, Sammy Sosa, Reggie Sanders, Kenny Lofton, Mike Piazza and Julio Franco.

Piazza and Franco ultimately retired. Greg Maddux, Mike Mussina and Sean Casey are free agents who have already done so this offseason. It only remains to be seen how many of the remaining 89 will be left out in the cold. The next few weeks will tell that tale.

"It's about this time that managers want to know what their team is going to look like," Smith said.

"Managers and general managers are trying to finalize rosters. Players are talking to their agents because they want to know, 'Where am I going to Spring Training in two weeks?'"

Man..I can't wait
8c336d3919038cb35eafea494dd5b73bafd40646.gif

We didn't make any noise this off-season other than re-signing some of our own ballplayers but I think we still will contend for the division. The WhiteSox have been unloading some of their older and proven vets for cheap youth but they haven't used the extra cash for much else either..

I was reading an article on Sportsline that said the White Sox are in BIG trouble even after unloading a lot of their big contracts thisoff-season...what's your take Stringer?
nerd.gif

Just heard that the Twins are taking a long, hard look at Crede
8c336d3919038cb35eafea494dd5b73bafd40646.gif
...I believe he still has a lot left so I'm on board with this

Originally Posted by kobe8is

The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 63 days until Opening Day 2009
smh.gif

come on some of us baseball fans need to stopping hearing about Kobe vs. Lebron vs. MJ everyday. Let us be happy
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom