The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

CC is going to be a Yankee... It's only a matter of how long it takes to get finalized... They're reportedly gonna call dude up tonight at midnight with a 7 year, $150 million offer as their OPENING BID.
eek.gif
smh.gif
That'll just about price everyone else out before FA even gets started...

I'll be interested to see where that scumbag Teixeira goes... Turned down 7/$140 from the Rangers last year before he got traded, and swears it isn't all about money... But I'd be SHOCKED if he left a dollar on the table...

I can't see the Dodgers letting Manny go... They've already offered 2/40 with an option that turns it into 3/60... Just guarantee 3 years, make the 4th a vesting option based on incentives that are relatively easy to reach...

And yeah, sooner or later teams are gonna realize that offering pitchers 7 year deals, or trading for guys with major workloads or bad mechanics just isn't worth it... I'm so glad the Rangers, as badly as they need pitching, have realized this and aren't throwing money around on the Chan Ho Parks and Kevin Millwoods of the free agency world anymore... They've finally realized the best way to solve those problems is through drafting and developing your own kids, and they've got the best/deepest crop of minor league arms to show for it...

eek.gif
@ that CC deal. I'm a firm believer that no pitcher is worth that kind of money. You play once every 5 games. Unless you're absolutely filthy forevery single game and your guaranteed to do so....anything over 20 is a no no. Texiera is gonna make a lot of money. But the way the market is, I don't seemany teams that can afford signing a guy for 6+ years for the type of money he wants. Manny...I hope he stays but 20 mil a year I think is a joke. They gaveandruw jones' fat %*$ 18 per year. And you can only cough up 2 more mil a year for a guy who hit 330, 35+ homeruns, and over 100 rbi's? It was in thepaper that a "source close to the dodgers" said that they generated between 10-15 million of manny in just 2 months. And I know of MANY MANY otherpeople who wanted to get more Manny gear but didn't wanna drop all that cash until they knew it wasn't just a 2 month rental

Yankees just grabbed Swisher? Interesting. He was dating/tapping someone I went to HS w/ last season.

Manny...I hope he stays but 20 mil a year I think is a joke. They gave andruw jones' fat %*$ 18 per year. And you can only cough up 2 more mil a year for a guy who hit 330, 35+ homeruns, and over 100 rbi's? It was in the paper that a "source close to the dodgers" said that they generated between 10-15 million of manny in just 2 months. And I know of MANY MANY other people who wanted to get more Manny gear but didn't wanna drop all that cash until they knew it wasn't just a 2 month rental

roll.gif
roll.gif

I hate this logic.

Why not offer $16 million, in line with what Albert Pujols is making? He is arguably the best player in the NL.

I love the "$20 million "Initial/Preliminary" offer is an insult", you guys have been drinking the Scott Boras Kool Aid,
laugh.gif

The Blue Jays could match...
They could, but could they really afford investing $20 million a year on another infielder. Especially with the loss of AJ Burnett looming.

Seriously, I could see the Angels bidding (They will have an expensive OF) if they lose Mark Teixeira, maybe Baltimore, but they are going to put all theirmoney in the Teixeira sweepstakes. I think the Yankees are out, they just got Swisher and they are going to throw their loot at CC. I could see the Metsmaking a run, lets face it, Omar Minaya is the GM and making moves that don't make sense is one of his strengths.

Colletti and Co. know that the market is small for Manny. Plus, Manny wasn't going to accept a deal this early. He is a Scott Boras client, theydon't sign on the dotted line before the winter meetings. Hate to look at the Angels, but they are serious about resigning Mark Teixeira and theydidn't even bother making an offer yet because they know how Scott Boras does business. I think the Dodgers made Manny an offer to shut the unreasonablefans up, PR move.

I wonder if the Yankees snagging Swishers puts them out of the Teixeira bidding war...? Or will they play him in the OF where he's pretty stretcheddefensively?

Also, there hasn't been a ton of talk in here about Ben Sheets, but just something to think about... If the bidding on him stays within a reasonable yearand price window, and the Rangers aren't involved, it should speak volumes about his ability to stay healthy... Nobody is going to know this guy'shealth records better than new pitching coach Mike Maddux... Sheets lives outside of Dallas, has a relationship with Maddux, has ace ability when he'shealthy. It's exactly what the Rangers need. Ypu'd have to think they'd be all over it if the demands were reasonable and Maddux felt he had anytype of ability to stay healthy... Just something to keep in mind once people start bidding on him.

I doubt that getting Swisher puts them out of the Teixeira bidding war. You can't count the Yanks out,
laugh.gif

Texas has been named as one of Ben Sheet's destinations. He is a walking injury though.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Manny...I hope he stays but 20 mil a year I think is a joke. They gave andruw jones' fat %*$ 18 per year. And you can only cough up 2 more mil a year for a guy who hit 330, 35+ homeruns, and over 100 rbi's? It was in the paper that a "source close to the dodgers" said that they generated between 10-15 million of manny in just 2 months. And I know of MANY MANY other people who wanted to get more Manny gear but didn't wanna drop all that cash until they knew it wasn't just a 2 month rental

roll.gif
roll.gif

I hate this logic.

Why not offer $16 million, in line with what Albert Pujols is making? He is arguably the best player in the NL.

I love the "$20 million "Initial/Preliminary" offer is an insult", you guys have been drinking the Scott Boras Kool Aid,
laugh.gif

The Blue Jays could match...
They could, but could they really afford investing $20 million a year on another infielder. Especially with the loss of AJ Burnett looming.

Seriously, I could see the Angels bidding (They will have an expensive OF) if they lose Mark Teixeira, maybe Baltimore, but they are going to put all their money in the Teixeira sweepstakes. I think the Yankees are out, they just got Swisher and they are going to throw their loot at CC. I could see the Mets making a run, lets face it, Omar Minaya is the GM and making moves that don't make sense is one of his strengths.

Colletti and Co. know that the market is small for Manny. Plus, Manny wasn't going to accept a deal this early. He is a Scott Boras client, they don't sign on the dotted line before the winter meetings. Hate to look at the Angels, but they are serious about resigning Mark Teixeira and they didn't even bother making an offer yet because they know how Scott Boras does business. I think the Dodgers made Manny an offer to shut the unreasonable fans up, PR move.

I see what you're saying but, we're dealing with Boras here. If he managed the swindle the dodgers for 18 mil per year for a guy who hit 220 for theyear....how could you even consider in your right mind that boras/manny would even think that's a reasonble offer. I agree that it was PR move but I'mkinda worried that it would end up with "we made an offer, at least we tried."

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Kenny said that Nick wouldn't be our starting CF in 2009

I didn't believe him

ohwell.gif

Kenny turned Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney into Wilson Betemit and some no-name prospect...
laugh.gif

Nowitness...i've read a lot of rumors about y'all getting Ben Sheets as well. was going to post them, but you allready know the talk is real.

[h4]Brewers could deal J.J. Hardy?[/h4]
Brewers GM Doug Melvin eventually might have to consider trading one of his position players for an established starting pitcher. Names that have popped up already are centerfielder Mike Cameron and shortstop J.J. Hardy, though Melvin said he's not ready to move a regular yet. Hardy, 26, is considered trade-worthy because of minor-league shortstop Alcides Escobar, now rated the Brewers' top prospect. But Escobar has not played above the Class AA level, other than brief action with Milwaukee as a September call-up, and might not be ready for the majors in 2009. Melvin said he keeps hearing that teams are interested in Hardy but hasn't received a specific offer. -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

http://
[h4]Dodgers Colleti denies Russell Martin trade rumors[/h4]
Responding to media speculation that he wants to trade Russell Martin, Dodgers GM Ned Colletti said the opposite is true. "We aren't trading Martin," he said. "I've never brought that up to anybody." -- Dodgers.com

[h4]White Sox GM Ken Williams considers dealing Jermaine Dye[/h4]
That procedure apparently remains in effect, as White Sox GM Ken Williams is scrutinizing prospects for deals that include right fielder Jermaine Dye, according to two National League scouts. Williams elected to keep Dye in the midst of a 90-loss season in 2007 and re-signed him to a two-year, $22 million contract that includes a mutual option for 2010. Although Dye, who turns 35 next month, has a limited no-trade clause, the scouts said Williams has a short list of teams for his right fielder. -- Chicago Tribune

and on the Reds front....David Weathers and Jerry Hairston are not likely to be back. Weathers poses huge question marks, but Hairston can be a veryserviceable player to many teams.

[h4]Rockies Garrett Atkins to Phils, Angels and Twins[/h4]
The Phillies, Angels and Twins have made the strongest inquiries about third baseman Garrett Atkins, and the Reds and Indians are believed to have interest. The Rockies are comfortable playing Ian Stewart at third base and have Todd Helton returning at first base, leaving Atkins, who can be a free agent after the 2010 season, as a bargaining chip. O'Dowd said he will listen if approached about Atkins but added, "I'm comfortable opening the season with Garrett Atkins batting in the middle of our lineup." -- Rocky Mountain News

[h4]K-Rod: Mets 'good fit'[/h4]
The Mets will have a new closer next season, and Francisco "K-Rod" Rodriguez wants to be the guy who fills their most pressing need when free agency starts at midnight tonight. Fresh off a record-setting 62 saves for the Angels, the 26-year-old All-Star right- hander will vie with the Rockies' Brian Fuentes for the attention of general manager Omar Minaya as the Mets look to replace Billy Wagner, who will miss the entire 2009 season because of Tommy John surgery. Minaya is keeping his plans close to the vest, but a person familiar with the team's thinking said the Mets will pursue a closer right out of the gate in free agency, with starting pitching, corner outfield help, second base and possibly catcher lower on the list of priorities. K-Rod's agent told The Post yesterday that Rodriguez is excited about the Mets and considers them "a good fit" among the four teams supposedly hottest in pursuit of the strikeout artist. -- NY Post

[h4]Phils want Pat Burrell back on short-term deal[/h4]
They recently have expressed interest in bringing back Pat Burrell, but Burrell might need to take a contract that is more favorable to the Phillies (i.e. a short-term deal or less money) to return. If Burrell doesn't return, the Phillies would need another righthanded bat for their lineup. -- Philadelphia Inquirer

I see what you're saying but, we're dealing with Boras here. If he managed the swindle the dodgers for 18 mil per year for a guy who hit 220 for the year....how could you even consider in your right mind that boras/manny would even think that's a reasonble offer. I agree that it was PR move but I'm kinda worried that it would end up with "we made an offer, at least we tried."
Personally, I don't think they should of made an offer. He isn't going to sign before the middle of December anyway. Just negotiatebehind closed doors. The market isn't as big for Manny as it is, for Teixeira. Boras knows it. Furthermore, the only reason Andruw Jones got that kindof money is because the Dodgers insisted on only a 2 year deal. Andruw would have taken an annual salary of $14-15 million over 5 years ($70-$75M). No onethought Andruw was going to bomb the way he did, it feels a lot better that he will be gone after the 2009 season, instead of having to wait until the end ofthe 2012 season to see him go.

In order to get him to accept a two year deal, they had to give him Torrii Hunter money. Boras knows that.

There are not a lot of teams out there willing to dish out $22-25M and 4-5 years to an aging slugger. The only teams able to afford that type of risk is theDodgers, Angels, Yankees, Mets and the Red Sox. The Angels have Teixeira as a priority. The Yankees have CC as their priority. The Mets need to find somebullpen help and a closer, so Fuentes will be their priority. The Red Sox are looking for a Catcher, and might go after Teixeira, plus they don't wantManny back. As you can see, no matter what garbage comes out of Boras mouth, the market isn't big for Manny. However, if Tex leaves the Angels, thingswill get interesting. Even though they don't need Manny, they will go after him to make a splash.

you guys follow your team's winter leagues???

Yonder Alonzo is hitting .327 with 4 homers and 21 rbi's thru 27 games. i really haven't gotten a good read on whether we'll use him as a catcher(which we need) or somewhere else when he one day get's brought up.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I see what you're saying but, we're dealing with Boras here. If he managed the swindle the dodgers for 18 mil per year for a guy who hit 220 for the year....how could you even consider in your right mind that boras/manny would even think that's a reasonble offer. I agree that it was PR move but I'm kinda worried that it would end up with "we made an offer, at least we tried."
Personally, I don't think they should of made an offer. He isn't going to sign before the middle of December anyway. Just negotiate behind closed doors. The market isn't as big for Manny as it is, for Teixeira. Boras knows it. Furthermore, the only reason Andruw Jones got that kind of money is because the Dodgers insisted on only a 2 year deal. Andruw would have taken an annual salary of $14-15 million over 5 years ($70-$75M). No one thought Andruw was going to bomb the way he did, it feels a lot better that he will be gone after the 2009 season, instead of having to wait until the end of the 2012 season to see him go.

In order to get him to accept a two year deal, they had to give him Torrii Hunter money. Boras knows that.

There are not a lot of teams out there willing to dish out $22-25M and 4-5 years to an aging slugger. The only teams able to afford that type of risk is the Dodgers, Angels, Yankees, Mets and the Red Sox. The Angels have Teixeira as a priority. The Yankees have CC as their priority. The Mets need to find some bullpen help and a closer, so Fuentes will be their priority. The Red Sox are looking for a Catcher, and might go after Teixeira, plus they don't want Manny back. As you can see, no matter what garbage comes out of Boras mouth, the market isn't big for Manny. However, if Tex leaves the Angels, things will get interesting. Even though they don't need Manny, they will go after him to make a splash.

i agree with that. they knwo Boras is gonna explore the market so why even bother? thats what makes me think that they could say "we tried several timesand made offers" if they happen to not sign em. it was all a PR move

Wes Hodges - .360/.378/.651, 6 HR, 24 RBI in 86 AB's
pimp.gif

Matt LaPorta - .164/.250/.299, 2 HR, 12 RBI, 22 K in 67 AB's
sick.gif

All of our pitchers have been gross, too.
tired.gif

Andy Marte is still playing winter ball (badly).
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Yonder Alonzo is hitting .327 with 4 homers and 21 rbi's thru 27 games. i really haven't gotten a good read on whether we'll use him as a catcher (which we need) or somewhere else when he one day get's brought up.
Justin Smoak is hitting .366/.469/.585

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I wonder if the Yankees snagging Swishers puts them out of the Teixeira bidding war...? Or will they play him in the OF where he's pretty stretched defensively?

Also, there hasn't been a ton of talk in here about Ben Sheets, but just something to think about... If the bidding on him stays within a reasonable year and price window, and the Rangers aren't involved, it should speak volumes about his ability to stay healthy... Nobody is going to know this guy's health records better than new pitching coach Mike Maddux... Sheets lives outside of Dallas, has a relationship with Maddux, has ace ability when he's healthy. It's exactly what the Rangers need. Ypu'd have to think they'd be all over it if the demands were reasonable and Maddux felt he had any type of ability to stay healthy... Just something to keep in mind once people start bidding on him.
I have reviewed Ben Sheets mechanics and have concluded that his problem is purely conditioning. If he wasn't so lazy in the off season hewouldn't be getting injured nearly as often. When a pitcher gets oblique injuries it's 90% of the time a conditioning ask Josh Becktt...

Fat_Beckett.jpg

roll.gif

wildKYcat wrote:

Yonder Alonzo is hitting .327 with 4 homers and 21 rbi's thru 27 games. i really haven't gotten a good read on whether we'll use him as a catcher (which we need) or somewhere else when he one day get's brought up.
J.P. Arencibia C
.277 with 4 homers with a .515 SLG

Dude has the power to be an elite catcher but he HAS to improve his plate discipline. .304 OBP is unacceptable.
sick.gif

Fat_Beckett.jpg
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Get the *%$+ outta here...
roll.gif

How about Florida's next big thing coming through the minors...

Logan Morrison - .448/.461/.747 with 5 homers, 28 RBI in 21 games...

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Ivan De Jesus hit .254 in the AFL,
smh.gif
. He is tearing up the PWL right now .346/2hr/6rbi.
Andrew Lambo hit .315/1hr/9rbi in the AFL.

I have reviewed Ben Sheets mechanics and have concluded that his problem is purely conditioning. If he wasn't so lazy in the off season he wouldn't be getting injured nearly as often. When a pitcher gets oblique injuries it's 90% of the time a conditioning ask Josh Becktt...

Fat_Beckett.jpg

CC Sabathia begs to differ

Back
Top Bottom