The Major League Baseball Offseason Post

Damn Dako, how old are you?

laugh.gif

i just think the rangers didn't make themselves better. they shouldve signed harden and kept Millwood, i dont care how cheap they are

It's not about being cheap. The reality of the situation is they cannot afford to add payroll until a new owner is announced. They're operating underan MLB mandated budget...

And Millwood SUCKS anyways... Don't care what his ERA says, he wasn't any better last year than the 4.50 or 5.00 ERA guy he's been in Texas... Hehad an insane first half aided by unsustainable BABIP and stranded runner rates... When he regressed to the norm after the ASB, they had to skip him in therotation a couple times to try and get things back on track... He's terrible. They've traded a back-of-the-rotation pitcher who, before last year, theycouldn't get 175 innings out of for a legitimate front-of-the-rotation pitcher...

140 innings of Rich Harden >>> 180 (maybe) of Kevin Millwood. Especially when Harden is cheaper and creates more room in the budget. Don't thinkthat's debatable... When Harden is every bit as good as John Lackey, and he came a hell of a lot cheaper than Lackey would've...

Once the new owner is announced next week, there's rumors MLB will start bumping up loans to the point that payroll will reflect what the new owner thinksit should be, and they'll have a larger budget from which to work under... Until then, they've gotta get creative and get the guys they think will begone before it's all approved... Jon Daniels said they felt they waited as long on Harden as they possibly could have, and had to get it done...

And the Mike Lowell deal is apparently on hold... Like I said earlier, he's not great, but he's not much worse than the other options (Vlad, Glaus,etc.) and if the Sox are footing the entire bill and it leaves money in the budget, I'm fine with it...

We'll see about the Rangers of course Nowitness you come with good points and are a very good Ranger fan, I commend you for that.

as a Yankee fan basking in the glory of #27, I am highly interested to see what the METS are gonna do. Hearing now they offered contracts to Bengie Molina ANDJason Bay...would be a great start for them

There's rumors now too that Chuck Greenburg and Nolan Ryan are trying to keep Hicks in the fold as a minority owner with no real power... So they may getthe bid... And Nolan has been very vocal in the past about the need to kick the payroll up to at least $80-85M...

It'll be interesting to see the longer Ben Sheets hangs around if the Rangers don't go back after him once the ownership is ironed out... They'restill said to be interested in him, and his agent said he still wants to come here, though he also said yesterday they're looking for $12M guaranteed upfront...
sick.gif
laugh.gif

INDIANAPOLIS - Brandon Lyon has signed with the Astros and Chan Ho Park may be headed elsewhere.

This would seem to leave John Smoltz as the Phillies' top target for a late-game reliever.

The Phillies have been negotiating with Smoltz's representative and people with knowledge of the pitcher's thinking say he is interested in pitching for the Phillies. Yes, Smoltz has been a critic of Citizens Bank Park's hitter-friendly power alleys, but Phillies sources say the team has been assured he would be willing to come to Philadelphia, because he wants to pitch for a contending club.

Bay will want that 5th year, Mets keeping it smart right now (for a freakin' change).

I'd rather have pitching but it would solidify our outfield.

Getting Bay or Holliday will open up things for the Mets to trade for a pitcher considering Fernando Martinez will be blocked. That is, of course, JeffFrancouer returns to his rookie form (which I believe will happen).

Franc did bat over .300 with the Mets, lets see how he holds up since change of scenery can always be good (dude's personality fits NY).

Fernando is not even close to ready anyways he is too raw, so you need a corner outfielder.

Just one of the holes that needs fixing, and I can live with a Delgado/Murph platoon at first.

Ehh I want Delgaldo away from this team. That right side of the infield needs fresh faces. Get me a guy like Nady or try and get a 3 team deal going if theRangers truly want Milton Bradley.

Red Sox signed Boof Bosner after he was DFA'd by the Twins.

I feel like they sign pitchers for the sake of it and hope it turns out for the best
laugh.gif
That really does seem to be the strategy lately.
laugh.gif

J.J. Putz signed with the White Sox; 1 year, $3.0 million ($3.25 million more possible in incentives).

Osh, the Indians and Blue Jays are vying for Marcus Thames.
laugh.gif

I don't even care what we do this offseason as long as it doesn't cost lots of money word is we got a 16 million dollar draft budget and manegmentfinally going to start doing things the right way. We are are throwing this year Marcus Thames is a step in that direction. Lol.

Let operation Tank begin.

December 12, 2009
Free agent Jason Bay has rejected Boston's latest offer, according to Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal. "We have other offers on table that are ofgreater interest to Jason," said agent Joe Urbon.

Our View:There's no word yet on the exact numbers on the offer that Bay refused, but it was believed to be around four years for $60million. Bay apparently wants another year on the contract, and you have to believe that somebody out there will give him a legit five-year offer, whetherit's Boston or another franchise.

I don't see Boston giving Bay a 5th year, a desperate team like the Mets will eventually have no choice but to do so (not necessarily a bad thing consideronce Bay is gone...Boras is going to +*$$@ Matt Holiday for 100M +).

Theo is usually firm on his offers and keeps it moving.

Bay isn't good defensively as it is... A five year deal for an NL team? Ugh...

Yankees non-tendered Wang... He's probably done, but I'd love to see the Rangers take him on for cheap and give him a shot..

I would like to see Bay re-sign, but not for the kind of years that he wants. For that kind of cash, I'd want a player who can put the team on his back notjust someone who can be a solid component of a playoff team.

Back
Top Bottom