The Major League Baseball Offseason Post

I think this could turn out to be a good trade for both teams. Sox will be able to platoon Martinez and Ramirez between 1B, C and DH when he comes up.

Rosenthal says they're eating ALL his salary...
laugh.gif

He's not great, but for free? Sign me up.

Rumors they could turn around and flip him to Chicago for Milton Bradley now too...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Probably means they didn't think Max was a catcher anyways...

Still think Saltalamacchia will be OK if he can get healthy.
or maybe, the Red Sox just found their Catcher of the future for an over the hill Mike Lowell.

Funny what teams will give up for a couple of dollars (Carlos Santana, Josh Bell).

Maybe... But Max is 25 coming off a terrible season and has never hit for any significant stretch above AA... Nevermind all the questions from the beginningabout whether or not he was actually a catcher...

Even with Salty and Teagarden struggling this year, Max was still clearly third on the totem pole.

Rumors they could turn around and flip him to Chicago for Milton Bradley now too...

I read about this earlier. Where would he fit in Chicago? I guess they will take anything decent for Milton.

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

I read about this earlier. Where would he fit in Chicago? I guess they will take anything decent for Milton.
No idea where he'd fit or why they'd want him... But they were looking for a third team with Boston to help get a deal done prior to theRangers acquiring him...

Originally Posted by Kookcle

Damn... losing Figgins and potentially Aybar?
Losing Figgins does suck, they are going to miss him.

Losing Aybar will not be as bad if the return is Roy Halladay. I would do that deal in a heartbeat if that is all the Blue Jays want.

thats true getting Halladay will be awesome

..i was just thinking how the lineup will look like without Figgy and Eric

Rafael Soriano to the Rays for Jesse Chavez (Iwamura return).

The Royals released Mike Jacobs.
5:47am: Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com says that the Angels and Phillies have emerged as the frontrunners in the Roy Halladay sweepstakes. Philadelphia is prepared to offer a package that will likely include J.A. Happ, plus either Michael Taylor or Domonic Brown.

7:01am: Mark Feinsand of The NY Daily News spoke to a source who said "Don't rule out them including Cole Hamels" in a potential Halladay deal. I'm not sure it's wise for Philly to sell low on Hamels for only one year of Halladay, but that would be something.

The Rule 5 Draft is underway.

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Agent says Bonds is cashing it in

By Reid Cherner & Tom Weir

[/h3]
Jeff Borris, the agent for Barry Bonds, tells the San Francisco Chronicle that the all-time home run leader is calling it quits.

"It's two years since he played his last game, and if there was any chance he'd be back in a major league uniform, it would have happened by now," Borris said. "When 2008 came around, I couldn't get him a job. When 2009 came around, I couldn't get him a job. Now, 2010 ... I'd say it's nearly impossible. It's an unfortunate ending to a storied career."

Borris says Bonds would need two weeks to work out and he'd be among the game's best players but that "Major League Baseball will never give him that chance."

The 45-year-old Bonds will end a 22-year season with a .298 batting average, 762 home runs and 1996 RBI.

Posted by Reid Cherner at 06:23 AM/ET, December 10, 2009 in Baseball | Permalink

What an agent, didn't he get the memo that Bonds career was over 2 years ago?
roll.gif

Bonds career being over ha nothing to do with his skills, dude even in old age still hit for power and still got base, the only reason his career is over iscolusion.

Bonds could fall out of bed and post a .400 OBP

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

No idea where he'd fit or why they'd want him... But they were looking for a third team with Boston to help get a deal done prior to the Rangers acquiring him...
Omar Minaya needs to turn this into a 3 team trade if the Rangers are interested in Bradley. Castillo to the Cubs, Lowell to the Mets.

Do it Mitch!!!

Rosenthal says they're eating ALL his salary...
laugh.gif

He's not great, but for free? Sign me up.

What are we going to do with Lowell?
ohwell.gif
We don't havea spot for him, so.....?

Someone school me on Max Ramirez.

Nowitness?
nerd.gif

According to ESPN, he didn't play in a single big league game in '09. Do you guys think he can contribute at the major league level eventually?

I was so up in arms when we traded Max for Kenny Lofton. He was suppose to be the next Victor Martinez (great pure hitter, terrible defensively, slower thaninanimate objects).

He ran through minor league pitching until he reached Triple-A; his development came to a halt. I don't know that I would expect much from him at thispoint.

Winter Meetings in Review
Free Agent Signings
Trades
  • Pitcher Boof Bonser was designated for assignment by the Twins on Tuesday and acquired by the Red Sox on Thursday for a player to be named later.
  • Reliever Rafael Soriano accepted arbitration Monday night, and the Braves later traded him to the Rays for reliever Jesse Chavez.
  • The Rangers traded starter Kevin Millwood and $3MM to the Orioles for reliever Chris Ray and Rule 5 pick Benjamin Snyder.
  • The Astros acquired reliever Matt Lindstrom from the Marlins for pitcher Robert Bono, shortstop Luis Bryan, and Rule 5 pick/third baseman Jorge Jimenez.
  • The Yankees acquired Curtis Granderson, the D'Backs acquired Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy, and the Tigers acquired Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Phil Coke, and Austin Jackson in a three-team blockbuster.
  • The Nationals acquired reliever Brian Bruney from the Yankees for Rule 5 pick/outfielder Jamie Hoffmann.
  • The Rangers acquired lefty Clay Rapada from the Tigers for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
New Free Agents
Other Stuff

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. had this to say to Scott Lauber about acquiring Halladay: "I don't think there's any likeliness. None."

damn, time sure flies.. didn't seem too long ago that Ruben Amaro Jr was an Angels prospect/ back up OF.. didn't know he was a GMalready
eek.gif
laugh.gif
Growing old FTL
tired.gif

Max Ramirez was a big time catching prospect at one point if im not mistaken

the deals the Rangers are making are ******ed im sorry

How is turning Kevin Millwood into Rich Harden and a reliever ******ed?

Back
Top Bottom