The Major League Baseball Post

It sounds like he's finally getting good wood on the ball consistently... But the throwing stuff is a serious, serious issue.

I swear man 40hr's HAS to get the jays out of Vernon's contract. It has too. 
tired.gif

I thought Salty would be the ultimate steal in the Tex deal. Still has one of the ugliest/hottest tattoos ever
laugh.gif

How long until we see Brett Wallace?

Friday, May 14, 2010  |  Modified: Saturday, May 15, 2010 http://www.bizjournals.co...tory11.html?b=1274068800^3353071
[h1]So far, MLB Network only hitting singles in ratings[/h1]
In its first month of being rated by Nielsen, MLB Network is averaging less than 100,000 viewers in prime time, making its viewership more comparable to channels like Logo and Military Channel than to ESPN or Versus.

When the network, which airs Cincinnati Reds games as part of its lineup on Time Warner Cable and DirecTV, launched 16 months ago to about 50 million subscribers, it became the most successful channel launch in cable history. Plus, the quality of its programming has been widely praised, as it took home four statues from last month’s Sports Emmy Awards, a record haul for a first-year network.

But viewership has been slow to follow suit.

Nielsen started rating the channel at the beginning of April, giving the sports media industry its first glimpse of how many people are watching. The network’s prime-time and total day viewership place MLB Network behind other single-sport channels like Speed, Golf Channel and NFL Network.

Of the Nielsen-rated sports channels, only Fox Soccer Channel averaged fewer viewers in prime time and single day in April. Some single-sport networks like NBA TV, NHL Network and Tennis Channel are not rated, primarily because they don’t have enough distribution. MLB Network executives say they are not surprised by the early ratings, which they say are in line with internal expectations and are showing an increase from last year, when the channel was not rated officially

“We feel good about where we are,

Originally Posted by Proshares

I thought Salty would be the ultimate steal in the Tex deal. Still has one of the ugliest/hottest tattoos ever
laugh.gif

How long until we see Brett Wallace?
When Lyle Overbays corpse is traded. 
Always knew he would hit for power eventually with those thunder thighs of his.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Aaron Hill clearly gave his steroids to Jose Bautista, Alex Gonzalez and John Buck this season.

laugh.gif
 My dude Vernon got his hands on some, too...

Spoiler [+]
Here's my second ranking of the top 100 prospects for the 2010 Rule 4 draft, based on what I've seen and what I've heard from scouts thus far this spring.

Normal caveat: This is not a projection of where these players will be selected, but my assessment of their values as players. I also don't consider signability, which is largely an unknown factor at this point anyway. This list was compiled in consultation with Jason A. Churchill, who is my main co-contributor to the currently-running-six-times-a-week MLB draft blog on Insider.

The 2010 MLB draft order is here.

We've started inputting player profiles now; we're up to about 53 or so. You can find an index of these player profiles, sorted alphabetically, by going here. The player cards are also linked below.

A few notes on the changes since my first top 100, which can be found here:

• Nothing major new up top, aside from sliding Drew Pomeranz back one spot after his injury put a brief scare into a few scouts who saw him in the past few weeks. It's nothing serious, though it did cause some people I talked to to go back to their original concerns about his arm action.

• I slid Mel Rojas Jr. down into the 30s after some feedback from a few evaluators whom I really trust and my own first look at his swing on video of a recent BP session.

• Delino DeShields Jr., another son of a former big leaguer, has been on the radar for a few years -- but between his height (5-foot-
glasses.gif
and commitment to LSU, most teams I spoke with in the offseason thought he wasn't signable. He finished strongly this spring and there's more indication that he's going to choose baseball, and several teams seem to be looking at him in the first round.

• Jacob Petricka of Indiana State is the other major debut, at 37; he's been up to 97 mph for several weeks now, but his below-average breaking ball morphed into a solid-average curve in a heavily attended outing against Missouri State's Mike Kickham.

• A strong finish for Oneonta's Dave Filak has moved him up into second-round territory, and there's a small chance he goes in the sandwich round, a reflection of how he's pitched but also of how thin the college pitching crop is.

• LSU's Micah Gibbs slides down to 66 after I received multiple reports questioning his defense, which at one point had been his calling card; I'll get one more look at him in two weeks at the SEC tournament.

• The major deletion was Columbus, Ga., infielder Kevin Jordan, whose senior spring was ruined by an illness that cost him some weight and hurt his performance, with area scouts telling me not to try to squeeze him into my trip there last week because he's still not his usual self. He might be a summer follow for someone who drafts him late and waits to see if he gets his strength back in July.

Big Board Bar

Bryce Harper
C
6-3

Analysis: The presumptive No. 1 overall pick has smashed records and led a strong CSN team into the NJCAA regionals. My video scouting of Harper is located here. Apr. 26: No. 1

Manny Machado
SS
6-2

Analysis: Tall, athletic shortstop with a quick bat and a 70 arm. Video scouting is here. Apr. 26: No. 2

Jameson Taillon
RHP
6-5

Analysis: Unusual arm strength, up to 98 mph as a starter, but hitters see his fastball and he needs help quieting his delivery. Apr. 26: No. 4

Drew Pomeranz
LHP
6-5

Analysis: Recent struggles likely tied to a strained pec that should resolve itself if he takes a week off. Apr. 26: No. 3

Karsten Whitson
RHP
6-4

Analysis: The best command of the premium prep arms in the class, with a chance for four pitches. Apr. 26: No. 5

Zack Cox
3B
6-0

Analysis: Best pure college hitter in the draft class. Plays third base aggressively but body may not stick there. Apr. 26: No. 6
Deck McGuire
RHP
6-6

Analysis: Polished college performance guy who's putting up stats in the ACC, but lacks a knockout pitch. Apr. 26: No. 8
Josh Sale
3B
6-0
Bishop-Blanchett H.S.

Analysis: An absolute monster physically, with hit and power tools, probably destined for the outfield; has to hit his way to the majors. Apr. 26: No. 7
Dylan Covey
RHP
6-2
Maranatha H.S.

Analysis: Bounced back quickly after two off outings, with renewed velo and command. Apr. 26: No. 9
Yasmani Grandal
C
6-2

Analysis: Switch-hitting catcher with plus arm who calls his own game and has improved every year. Scouting video of Grandal is here. Apr. 26: No. 11
Bryce Brentz
OF
6-0

Analysis: Faced weak competition all spring, but he did perform even with a fractured foot. Here's scouting video of Brentz. Apr. 26: No. 12
James Paxton
LHP
6-4

Analysis: First game action of the year comes Friday night in Grand Prairie, Texas. Apr. 26: No. 13
Nick Castellanos
SS
6-4
Archbishop McCarthy H.S.

Analysis: Among the top hit tools among prep bats, but he'll have to move at least to third base. Video scouting is here. Apr. 26: No. 14
Austin Wilson
OF
6-4
Harvard-Westlake H.S.

Analysis: Latest rumor has him leaning a little more toward signing over attending Stanford. Check out his scouting video by clicking here. Apr. 26: No. 15
Alex Wimmers
RHP
6-2

Analysis: Plus curveball last summer, plus changeup now, laying waste to a mediocre conference. Apr. 26: No. 22
Kaleb Cowart
SS
6-3
Cook County H.S.

Analysis: A floor wax (potential switch-hitting third baseman with power) and a dessert topping (came out throwing 96 in last Friday's start). Apr. 26: No. 16
Aaron Sanchez
RHP
6-3
Barstow H.S.

Analysis: Highly projectable high school arm who has been improving all spring. Apr. 26: No. 17
Brandon Workman
RHP
6-5

Analysis: Has always had a lively fastball, now adding control to his résumé, which also helps keep those pitch counts reasonable. Apr. 26: No. 21
Christian Colon
SS
6-0

Analysis: Plus defender at short who'll hit and is showing surprising power with the aluminum bat. Apr. 26: No. 26
Anthony Ranaudo
RHP
6-7

Analysis: Could go top 10 if he shows up healthy at the SEC tournament; could fall out of the round if he doesn't. Apr. 26: No. 10
Michael Choice
OF
6-1

Analysis: Big raw power, maybe best among college bats. Crazy walk total probably reflects his lineup more than his patience. Apr. 26: No. 24
Matt Harvey
RHP
6-4

Analysis: One of the best fastballs in the class, but curveball has gone backward since high school and he might be a reliever in pro ball. Video scouting is here. Apr. 26: No. 23
Tyrell Jenkins
RHP
6-4
Henderson H.S.

Analysis:Strong final month for multisport talent in eastern Texas, should be multiple teams willing to buy him away from Baylor. Apr. 26: No. 36
Austin Wates
OF
6-1

Analysis: Can hit, can run a little, controls the zone, but has a long way to go in the outfield. Apr. 26: No. 25
A.J. Cole
RHP
6-0
Oviedo H.S.

Analysis: Very projectable arm who has flashed 96-plus this spring but turned off scouts with body language on mound. You can check video I shot of Cole by clicking here. Apr. 26: No. 19
KEITH LAW'S TOP 100: NO. 26-100
>
RankPlayerPos.SchoolVIDEO
26Christian Yelich1B/OFWestlake HS (CA)
27Stetson Allie 3B/RHPSt. Edward's (OH)
28Asher WojciechowskiRHPThe Citadel
29Kris BryantSS/3BBonanza HS (NV)
30Delino DeShields Jr. CFWoodward Academy (GA)
31Marcus LittlewoodSSPine View HS (UT)
32Kellin DeglanCLangley HS (BC)
33Jesse HahnRHPVirginia Tech
34Justin O'ConnorC/SS/RHPCowan HS (IN)
35Mel Rojas Jr.OFWabash Valley CC
36Jacob PetrickaRHPIndiana State
37Brett EibnerRHP/CFArkansas
38Kevin GausmanRHPGrandview HS (CO)
39Kolbrin Vitek2BBall State
40Cam BedrosianRHPEast Coweta HS (GA)
41Jake Hernandez CLos Osos HS (CA) Watch
42DeAndre SmelterRHPTattnall Square (GA)
43Yordy Cabrera 3B/RHPLakeland HS (FL)
44Mike FoltyniewiczRHPMinooka HS (IL)
45Robert BrantlyCUC-Riverside
46Chevez ClarkeOFMarietta HS (GA)
47Chris SaleRHPFlorida Gulf Coast
48Barret LouxRHPTexas A&M
49Michael KvasnickaCMinnesota
50Justin GrimmRHPGeorgia
51Gary BrownOFCal State Fullerton
52Seth BlairRHPArizona State
53Taylor LindseySS/CDesert Mountain HS (AZ)
54Kevin MunsonRHPJames Madison
55Adam PlutkoRHPGlendora HS (CA)
56Dave FilakRHPSUNY-Oneonta
57Jedd Gyorko2BWest Virginia
58A.J. VanegasRHPRedwood Christian (CA)
59Rob RasmussenLHPUCLA
60Chad BettisRHPTexas TechWatch
61Ty LintonOFCharlotte Christian (NC)
62Griffin MurphyLHPRedland East (CA)
63Cody BuckelRHPRoyal HS (CA)
64Chance RuffinRHPTexas
65Tyler ThornburgRHPCharleston
66Micah GibbsCLSU
67Jordan SwagertyRHPArizona State
68Mike KickhamLHPMissouri State
69Ryne StanekRHPBlue Valley HS (KS)
70Will SwannerCTemecula Valley (CA)
71Peter TagoRHPDana Hills HS (CA)
72Dixon AndersonRHPCalifornia
73Chad Lewis3BMarina HS (CA)
74Chris HawkingsSSNorth Gwinnett HS (GA)
75Matt LipkaSSMcKinney HS (TX)
76Cole CookRHPPepperdine
77Kellen SweeneyOFJefferson HS (IA)
78Vincent VelazquezRHP/CGarey HS (CA)
79Dan KleinRHPUCLA
80Leon LandryOFLSU
81Zach LeeRHPMcKinney HS (TX)
82Derek DietrichSSGeorgia Tech
83Jacoby JonesSS/RHPRichton HS (MS)
84Jordan ShipersLHPSouth Harris HS (MO)
85Robbie AvilesRHPSuffern HS (NY)
86Drew CiscoRHPWando HS (SC)
87Donn RoachRHPCollege of Southern Nevada
88Jason AdamRHPBlue Valley NW HS (KS)
89Cody WheelerLHPCoastal Carolina
90Levon WashingtonOFChipola JCWatch
91Sam DysonRHPSouth CarolinaWatch
92Scott FrazierRHPUpland HS (CA)
93Tommy KahnleRHPLynn University (FL)
94Gabriel EncinasRHPSt. Paul HS (CA)
95Luke JacksonRHPCalvary Christian (FL)
96Seth RosinRHPMinnesota
97Niko GoodrumSSFayette County HS (AL)
98Garin CecchiniIFBarbre HS (LA)
99Addison ReedRHPSan Diego State
100Andrelton SimmonsSSWestern Oklahoma State

i lovvvvveeeee MLB Network. Especially for someone like me who is a fantasy baseball geek, when they do the MLB Live from 6-12pm and show all the games...BEST

Rangers Inquire On Pierzynski
By Zach Links [May 16, 2010 at 6:44pm CST]

The Rangers have inquired about the availability of White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski, a source tells Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. Over the weekend, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports identified the veteran backstop as a trade candidate.

The 2010 season has not been kind to Pierzynski, who has a slash line of .198/.254/.292 with 2 HRs in 115 plate appearances. The two-time All-Star is one of six starting position players on the White Sox with a batting average south of .250.

Pierzynski, 33, will have the right to veto any trade in four weeks. Gonzales writes that a lengthy delay in the sale of the Rangers has raised the question of whether the club could take on the remainder of the catcher's 2010 salary. According to Cot's Baseball Contracts, Pierzynski is set to earn a base salary of $6.25MM for this season with incentives that could tack on another $580K.

Acquiring Pierzynski would give Texas an experienced starter behind the plate. To date, they have not found a reliable everyday option in Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Max Ramirez, Taylor Teagarden, or Matt Treanor.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

It sounds like he's finally getting good wood on the ball consistently... But the throwing stuff is a serious, serious issue.
i really feel for this dude and hope he pulls through, im a catcher and had about a 2 month span in high school where my throws were everywhere, you can't control your arm, its trippy and theres nothing really you can do but just keep chucking it

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

I love watching MLB Network.

It's what I needed to fully ditch ESPN. Only times I tune in to that east coast sport network is for the live games.

Scripting Griffey's final chapter
Mariners' dilemma is figuring out the right thing to do with the aging, unproductive icon
By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com

His average hovers around the Mendoza Line (.200). His slugging percentage (.225) looks way too much like his area code (206).

He's been outhomered by Yovani Gallardo (1-0). He has a lower OPS (.486) than Lou Marson (.497).

If the man compiling these gruesome numbers was almost anyone else besides a fellow named George Kenneth Griffey Jr., we know what would happen. Don't we?

The Mariners have already proved that if he was Eric Byrnes, he'd be pedaling his two-wheeler to the first tee by now. If he was Michael Saunders, he'd be back in Tacoma. If he was even Jim Edmonds, his team (the Milwaukee Brewers) would be thanking him for the memories and moving onward.

But this man is none of them. He's not just another name on the lineup card, not just another face on the program cover. Not on his team. Not in his town. Not in his sport.

He's Ken Griffey Jr. And because of who he is, the easy thing for the Seattle Mariners to do isn't necessarily the right thing to do.

The citizens of this continent have spent the week obsessing over Griffey's nap schedule. But you know what? That isn't the part of his story that matters a whole lot.

What matters -- what really matters -- is whether this guy can still be a productive member of his roster, and whether he can still be a leader on a team that needs leadership, not whether he can stay awake for all nine innings.

But even if the men who employ him decide the answer to those questions is no, that just leads to an even harder question:

How does everybody go about scripting a fitting final chapter to a saga as spectacular as Ken Griffey Jr.'s?

That wasn't a question that his general manager, Jack Zduriencik, had much interest in discussing with our Rumblings inquisitors. But he did say this -- and we agree with every word of it:

"One thing Ken will always get is the respect and dignity he deserves in this game," Zduriencik said. "And he'll always get that from this organization and this community, and he deserves that."

Unfortunately, there's no handy-dandy manual on how to deal with situations like this. We checked The New York Times' best-seller list. There's no "The Aging Superstar Cure." No "Switch: How to Change Legends When Change Is Hard." Not even a "Mike and Mike's Rules for Handling Icons and Heroes."

But there's also no spreadsheet, no computer program, no advanced sabermetric computation, that will tell Zduriencik and the Mariners what to do next, either. Sorry. If you think there is, you just don't get it.

If nothing mattered in this sport beyond VORP or WARP, this would be simple. In this case, though, we have a human being involved. And not just any human being. A human being who has been one of the greatest players of modern times. And he matters.

People like Griffey can't merely be crumpled up and fed to the waste-management trucks when they stop hitting. They deserve more. They've earned more. Clearly, the Mariners are wrestling with how to afford this particular human what he's earned. And that means he can't be just another name in the transactions column.

"This has got to be his call," said an executive who has a history with Griffey. "If it were me, I don't think I could even bring it up to him. He's got to bring it up to you. I wouldn't be comfortable doing anything like that with a player like him. It's got to be his call. It's got to be his terms. They committed to him. They brought him back. So because of his stature in the game and his legacy in the game, I think it has to be on his terms."

The same exec raises an interesting point, though. When his teammates carried Griffey off the field after the final game of last season, wouldn't that have made the perfect final scene in the future box-office hit, "Griffey Almighty"? If there was a tough call to be made, shouldn't the Mariners have made it after Griffey hit .214 last season?

But Zduriencik told Rumblings that the Mariners never really hesitated last fall. They signed him so quickly, in fact, he was actually their second transaction of the entire offseason. After a feel-good season for everybody, it just felt right -- at the time.

"Ken wanted to come back," Zduriencik said. "He was so excited by the way the year ended last year … he wanted to be part of the turnaround here. He had such a great time, he expressed interest in wanting to be back. So we talked, and we brought him back. That's all there was to it."

But once the Mariners made that decision, they essentially set themselves up for the uncomfortable situation that's engulfed them now. And what is going to make this especially difficult is that the people who know Griffey best can't even imagine he'll have any desire to quit. Not now.

"I don't see that at all," said his close friend, and former Reds teammate, Adam Dunn. "This guy loves playing baseball … more than anyone I've ever been around in my life. It's not even close. If I were him, going through the [injury] stuff he's been through, I would have been done in '01 or '02. But not him -- because nobody loves baseball more than that guy."

Dunn says he spoke to Griffey this week after Nap-gate busted out -- and Griffey "told me what happened, and it's nothing like that. But if you know him, he's not going to come out and try to defend himself. I even said to him, 'Aren't you going to come out and defend it?' And he said, 'I don't have to.'"

But Dunn leaped to his buddy's defense anyway, saying there is "no chance" that Griffey -- or any player -- would be catching any Z's during the sixth inning of a game.

"In the first or second inning, I buy it," Dunn said. "That's different. You see that every night. It happens. But not in the sixth inning. No way."

Again, though, whether it happened or didn't happen, how much does that even matter? In some ways, it's more interesting that the story got out, that it got leaked, than whether it's accurate in every minute detail.

The reporter who wrote it -- Larry LaRue, of the Tacoma News Tribune -- is a longtime beat man, and a total pro. So the question shouldn't be, "Is it true?" The question should be, "Why did somebody want it to get out there at all?"

But that's a question for another time. The biggest question, for this time, is whether there's any reason to think Griffey can still play. And if that answer turns out to be "no," then the Mariners are stuck with a dilemma with no simple solutions:

What's the best way for everybody concerned to find a dignified end to a beautiful story?

"I want him to go out on his own terms," Dunn said. "Maybe hit a home run, round the bases and say, 'That's enough,' so people remember who he is and what he did -- not just for Seattle but for the game. … That's what I'd do. The last thing you'd want is for them to run him out. That would be a shame."

Asked if Griffey recognizes that The End is at least approaching, Dunn said: "Obviously. I think he realizes he's been playing for like 30 years or whatever. So he knows you can't play forever. But he also knows he's still having fun."

So while The End might be showing up on Griffey's viewfinder, there's no reason to think he's in any hurry to close this book. But meanwhile, on the other end of this scale, there's no reason to think the Mariners are in any hurry to force the issue, either.

They have five Griffey promotional extravaganzas scheduled just in the first half alone. And team president/CEO Chuck Armstrong is as close to Griffey as anyone in baseball. So clearly, they are going to tiptoe delicately down this path for as long as they can. But they also have big dreams, and an offense that's on pace to score 400 fewer runs than the Yankees. So they're not willing to promise it will be possible to tiptoe forever.

"Ken started here," Zduriencik said. "He's an icon player here. He's loved in this community, and he plays a tremendous role in this community and on this ballclub. He's with us now, and he's part of our club, and you just move forward. Ken wanted to be here to do what he could to turn this around. He's making the best contribution he can. And we'll see. We'll see what happens."

Yes, we will. Won't we? And we can promise you this: When, or if, anything ever does "happen," nobody in baseball will be sleeping through it when it does.

18 pitchers added at least 0.5 mph to their fastball this year:
  1. Francisco Liriano - 1.7 mph increase
  2. Luke Hochevar - 1.7
  3. Tommy Hanson - 1.3
  4. James Shields - 1.2
  5. Kevin Slowey - 1.1
  6. Scott Olsen - 1.0
  7. Jered Weaver - 1.0
  8. Matt Garza - 0.9
  9. Joe Saunders - 0.8
  10. Tim Hudson - 0.8
  11. Ubaldo Jimenez - 0.7