The Major League Baseball Post

i'm telling y'all...Ryan Klesko had the greatest bat flip of all time once after he hit a walk-off when he played for San Fran. i wish i could find avid, it was ridiculous.

Oh yeah, Klesko had a nice bat flip. So did David Justice.

I think my favorite of all time has to be Big Papi's from the WBC. Dude admired his shot, then flipped it. I've never found a video.

Ed V's line from tonight:

[table][tr][td]Cincinnati Reds[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Pitchers[/td] [td]IP[/td] [td]H[/td] [td]R[/td] [td]ER[/td] [td]BB[/td] [td]SO[/td] [td]HR[/td] [td]PC-ST[/td] [td]ERA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E Volquez[/td] [td]7.0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]113-69[/td] [td]1.32[/td] [/tr][/table]
in line for the win.
pimp.gif

Thank goodness for the Reds' sake that Edison is pitching so well. The trade was not a popular one when it first went down and with Josh Hamilton rakingthis season, the Reds would have gotten BLASTED for making the trade. You hardly ever see it, but it's good that the trade worked out for both teams. Italso helps that it looks like Jay Bruce is the real deal.

It hasn't been posted in here yet...

Smoltz done for the season. Possibly for his career.
frown.gif

Come hell or high water, I will be in Cooperstown when this man enters the HOF.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2008/06/04/smoltz_0605.html

John Smoltz's famous pain tolerance and competitiveness were no longer enough to carry the Braves pitcher in a battle with his throbbing shoulder.
Now the question is whether the iconic right-hander will ever pitch again.

Smoltz will have season-ending shoulder surgery Tuesday in Birmingham, Ala., and said he'll do all that he can to pitch again. But he also realizes his distinguished career could be over.

"I'm 41. I still love to compete," Smoltz said to a room packed with reporters and TV cameras Wednesday morning at Turner Field. "I would retire if the desire is gone in five or six months. I'm not there yet. Not there emotionally. Physically would be the one thing to be determined."

That determination could come Tuesday, when renowned orthopedic surgeon James Andrews looks inside Smoltz's right shoulder through an arthroscope to diagnose the damage and decide what surgical procedure will be done that same day to fix it.

There is, however, at least as good a chance Smoltz won't decide whether to keep pitching or retire until at least five or six months after the surgery, when he's able to get a better gauge of whether it's realistic he could come back and pitch effectively after his fifth arm surgery.

"It's a sad day for us in a lot of ways," general manager Frank Wren said Wednesday, "because we don't know the outcome of the surgery."

Wren was referring to the possibility that Smoltz, a future candidate for the Baseball Hall of Fame, might not pitch again. The 1996 Cy Young Award winner is the only pitcher in history with at least 200 wins and 150 saves, and holds postseason records for most wins (15) and strikeouts (194).

"Knowing him, I know for a fact this is not going to be it," Braves catcher Brian McCann said. "He's going to get back on the field."

Third baseman Chipper Jones called Wednesday's news "devastating."

"Coming into this season, I said if there's one guy on the club we couldn't do without, it's John Smoltz," Jones said. "The mere speculation [in recent weeks] that he would be able to come back and close for us kind of kept everybody going.

"If you had asked me in the spring, I would have said we don't have a chance in hell of winning the division without him starting for us. We managed to keep our heads above water not having him.

"But now, not having him for the rest of the season is just devastating. Flat-out devastating."

Smoltz attempted to come back as a sidearming closer this week, but blew a save Monday while giving up two runs and three hits in the ninth inning in his first game back from the disabled list.

His shoulder ached all day Tuesday, and Smoltz said he met with manager Bobby Cox and the training staff at about 6 p.m. and made his decision to have season-ending surgery.

"I love to compete," he said. "But I can't compete against my body anymore."

Cox said, "You can only tolerate so much pain. He always pitched with pain. He's always been the best competitor in the world."

Smoltz said he's "going to try to do everything I possibly can to continue to pitch" after surgery, but the procedure could end up being more about quality of life than getting him back on the mound for a possible 22nd season in the majors.

"I would like to enjoy life a little more than I have been enjoying it," he said. "I use my shoulder a lot. I can't do anything with my kids [because of his aching shoulder]."

After the third of his four elbow surgeries, Smoltz moved from starter to the closer role midway through the 2001 season due to lingering pain during his recovery.

He dominated in that role for 3 1/2 seasons and converted 154 saves, including a National League-record 55 saves in 2002.

He returned to his preferred starting role in 2005 and was 47-26 since then, including 3-2 with a 2.00 ERA in five starts this season before shoulder pain forced him to the disabled list April 29.

"We saw him go out there and throw nearly as well as he ever has, at times," Wren said. "But you could also see in his face that it wasn't easy."

He opened the season on the DL after shoulder pain worsened late in spring training. The shoulder problems began in May 2007 when he slipped making a warmup pitch in a game at Milwaukee.

He pitched in varying degrees of pain since, worsening to unbearable throbbing in his fifth and final start of the season April 27 at New York.

He said he's barely been able to sleep since spring training because of the shoulder pain.

"All year long, he goes out there and gives us everything he's got when he's hurting," McCann said. "It just shows you what kind of guy he is. I look up to him. He's a great teammate and a great friend.

"He couldn't take anymore. His pain is so great he could barely pick his arm up."

Smoltz had hoped the lowered arm slot would permit him to pitch with tolerable discomfort - the way it did when he pitched through elbow pain in 1999.

"Dropping down [sidearm worked] before, I thought maybe I could do it again," he said. "I know I could have been effective, but there were limitations. Had I struck out the side [Monday] I would be having the same press conference. It was too much."

Smoltz is signed only through the 2008 season, but the Braves are expected to offer him a contract if he wants to return. It's the only major league team he's ever pitched for.

The best-case scenario might be an April or May return to the major leagues, Smoltz said. Presumably that would be if there's only a minor tear or other damage to the labrum or rotator cuff.

However, anything more than minimally invasive shoulder surgeries usually requires rehabilitation periods of 12 to 18 months for pitchers. And there are few, if any, cases of over-40 pitchers coming back to pitch successfully after major shoulder surgery.

Smoltz was asked what he thought his legacy would be with the Braves if his career is over.

"My legacy will be however someone wants to view it," he said. "But I think from within the organization, the players ... Certainly I'm proud of it. I don't even know if I have a word for it. I mean, I literally gave everything I had every single time I went out there.

"I just relished it. I could not wait for the big moment, the big game ... I followed some great footsteps. I just hope to have honored [the Braves uniform] as much as I possibly can. And I'm proud of it. In life certainly nothing goes smooth, but this has been the time of my life."

Originally Posted by DLo13

frown.gif

that's what i've said about when Junior goes. it will be cool if Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux all retire at the same time and go in together.
pimp.gif

The Hamilton/Volquez trade worked out great. I think Reds did the right thing becuase they had Bruce.

Plus I always think you need good pitching to win.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Originally Posted by DLo13

frown.gif

that's what i've said about when Junior goes.

Most def. I will be there when Junior is inducted.

Sidney Ponson has been DFA'd by the Rangers... Press release cited "disrespectful and adverse reactions to situation unbecoming of teammates."...

Apparently caused a scene at the hotel bar in Tampa Bay last week, was given a warning by the team... Then two more situations came up in the last couple ofdays, one involving a confrontation with Ron Washington, another in which he was apparently showing up teammates...

So, within about two hours of eachother, Ponson has been DFA'd for actions unbecoming of teammates, and it's announced Michael Young is slotted to missa couple of games with a hand injury the club says he suffered while lifting weights... Riiiiight.
laugh.gif
Not sure if the two incidents are connected or not, butthe timing is interesting, none the less...

Oh, and...
Evan Longoria hit an absolute BOMB.
Yeah, he killed that ball... Milton Bradley hit one up there last week from the left side.
eek.gif
smh.gif

and Michael Young never misses games.
Yeah, that's why the timing seems a little odd...

I hope MY slugged dude... He's been frustrated down here for years over the team not winning and, other than Teixeira, there's never been a jack $+@ inthe clubhouse for him to unload on... Let that frustration out, Mike.
laugh.gif

I've always wondered about HOF inductions. Anybody can go? I thought it was invitation only or whatever. They have like a fan area?

Back
Top Bottom