The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

He skipped out on a scheduled press conference in LA the other week, I just hope he's good. He still posts on Twitter so that's encouraging

Would like to see the grudge match between Rockhold (if he beats Jan) and Smith take place at the end of the year with the winner being right in line for a title shot

Gustaffson might be the most overrated fighter ever. Best wins were a washed up Shogun and Glover. Lost every big fight he was in yet stayed ranked top 2-3.

I mean, he stayed in the top 3-4 rankings because he was top 3-4. Losing to smith isn’t a good look and not surprised it made him retire.

Gustaffson might be the most overrated fighter ever. Best wins were a washed up Shogun and Glover. Lost every big fight he was in yet stayed ranked top 2-3.
That first fight against Jones really kept him at the top of the rankings. He was the only dude close to beating Jones and that made everyone remember him at a level that maybe was too high

Besides JBJ, Rumble and DC, he never lost. He was a top LHW. Admittedly, LHW has been a terrible division for a minute. But hopefully, it starts to heat up with Luke moving up, Walker, etc.

Bad performances happen. Sucks he’s choosing to bow out.

he hurt cormier with a knee to the face in their fight too. he outwrestled both jones and cormier in his first fights with them.

Besides JBJ, Rumble and DC, he never lost. He was a top LHW. Admittedly, LHW has been a terrible division for a minute. But hopefully, it starts to heat up with Luke moving up, Walker, etc.

Bad performances happen. Sucks he’s choosing to bow out.

Phil Davis as well. He was getting piece up against Blachowicz early on too. Not a fan of the running style he's chosen to adopt either.

As soon as Gus let Smith get him down on his back I had a feeling it was over. Gus looked very timid the first two rounds and even the flashes he had in the third never had me thinking he was going to get a stoppage. Though he should not have gone for the takedown after that kick to Smith in the third.

Not sure I believe hes really retiring. Hes only 32 and just needs to be more aggressive and he can still compete with the top 5. Likely won't get another title shot but he still gives lots of guys in the top 10 fits.

Gus basically lost his edge. His hunger and his killer instinct

His whole approach has noticeably changed through the years. I think it was evident in the Jan fight, he looked awful and completely different

That’s not to blame him, he’s been through some trauma. We can’t expect these guys to be robots and always fight to the death

I never rated him at the very top level and I’m not sure a lot of people did, so I can’t call him overrated. I always thought he was properly rated as the next tier down from jones and dc

This state of gus vs current Ryan bader would be interesting, but bader might run through him too

Back
Top Bottom