The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Oh man, Du Plessis came out firing on Gastelum today

He plainly stated that Gastelum is ducking him and that he's faking an injury. It does suck we won't get Imanov, Gastelum nor Du Plessis, takes some steam off the card imo

He says that Gastelum owes him this fight. He did not accept any other bouts but he is going to stay in Florida to train at the local gyms for the month while his team returns to South Africa

He doesn't come off as likable in any way but he's doing a good thing by creating this Gastelum stole this opportunity from me

Has MMA and UFC popularity gone down? For a while there it looked like it was going to become a mainstream thing but hasn’t seemed to gain any more traction.

Got my tickets for UFC 275, to cater to the US PPV audience the main fight card starts at 10am.

I pity the fighters that are on the early prelims starts at 6am, hardly anybody will be there public transport doesn't even start till 6am.

Last edited:
Has MMA and UFC popularity gone down? For a while there it looked like it was going to become a mainstream thing but hasn’t seemed to gain any more traction.
What is the basis of your claim it’s going down?

Right now in North America, there’s a lot of competition for eyes eg NCAA, NBA, MLB, WWE Wrestlemania, NHL, Masters, boxing, etc.

As a fan, that UK card a few weeks ago was amazing.

As a casual, I could see how they haven’t had huge marquee fights in awhile. UFC doesn’t really publish PPV buys so no clue to the buys for Gane/N’Gannou, Usman/Covington 2, etc.

I'm not sure if I'd say the UFC's popularity has gone down. However without a prime Conor and/or Ronda-like draw I can see why the casual might think so. However, the ESPN deal, their ability to hold cards during the early parts of the pandemic and numerous cards in any given month currently will keep them going for sometime. As long as they have fighters like Holloway, Adesanya, Usman, etc. I'd say they'll be just fine moving forward.

Is Max the most well liked/least hated current fighter?
Definitely my favorite right now and have never heard anyone rooting against him

Chisea and Felder brought up an interesting point in their podcast just now: Aljo did the majority of this camp back with Longo

Apparently he did most of his camp last fight with Nicksick. I had no idea that was the case

Yeah, folks want to discredit and clown Aljo cause of how he handled the whole aftermath of the fight. But his run to the title shows he's a top 3 BW. Think we see a much closer fight this time around. Wouldn't be surprised if Aljo pulls out the W.

Chisea and Felder brought up an interesting point in their podcast just now: Aljo did the majority of this camp back with Longo

Apparently he did most of his camp last fight with Nicksick. I had no idea that was the case
Remember there was beef with Serra around the time of the last fight too?

He definitely did that camp in Las Vegas mainly.

Yup Serra got butt hurt about that

Aljo had been training in Vegas for a while if I'm not mistaken, I just didn't realize he chose to do the main part of it there last fight

I think the more unknown with aljo is how he will perform coming off the surgery he had.

It’s been over a year since he’s been in the octagon, Yan just beat sandhagen This past fall

Not only skill and technique, but his footwork, IQ, and the mid fight adjustments only compares to Volk and Izzy. He's no doubt the best fighter in the division.

I just think Aljos last showing wasn't him at his best. Seems like he's intent on wrestling and grappling right out the gate this time. Which would be his best, maybe even only path to victory.

Back
Top Bottom